gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:05:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
shadownoze, Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray, sloopjohnb72 and 42 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 262 263 264 265 266 [267] 268 269 270 271 272 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399227 times)
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6650 on: April 02, 2018, 05:45:08 PM »

How can Bruce be only on "Marcella" if most of Carl and the Passions: So Tough was recorded before he left? Were most of the vocals recorded after he left? Did Carl and Blondie play all the bass parts?

Just bumping this, because I think its a pretty interesting topic I'd never thought of.

Thanks because I was going to bump it if you didn't.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #6651 on: April 03, 2018, 02:03:22 AM »

How can Bruce be only on "Marcella" if most of Carl and the Passions: So Tough was recorded before he left? Were most of the vocals recorded after he left? Did Carl and Blondie play all the bass parts?

Just bumping this, because I think its a pretty interesting topic I'd never thought of.

Thanks because I was going to bump it if you didn't.

Been poking around (maybe it will encourage someone more knowledgeable to join in):

Sessions for "Marcella" took place on December 6-10, 1971 and then January 17. Bruce's (provisional) last live performance with the Boys was on April 2. Sessions for C&TP recommenced the next day.  With thanks to AGD (http://www.esquarterly.com/bellagio/gigs71.html).

Apparently Bruce has claimed somewhere ("citation needed") that his sole contribution to C&TP was as a background singer on "Marcella". His "amicable" departure doesn't explain his "arch" review of the album in a UK music magazine (Catch A Wave, p. 174).

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6652 on: April 03, 2018, 06:17:55 AM »

I can't speak too much to the particulars of session dates in the "So Tough" era, but there were certainly moments while Bruce was in the band where he took somewhat of a step back and a lesser role. The "Lei'd in Hawaii/Smiley Smile" sort of era is one example.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6653 on: April 03, 2018, 06:31:06 AM »

How often did Bruce use his "visitation rights" after splitting from the group? Did he ever appear on stage with them before joining back during L.A. era?

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6654 on: April 03, 2018, 06:34:02 AM »

According to Bellagio, I think he appeared about 5 times at most. It's on the website somewhere.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #6655 on: April 09, 2018, 07:09:15 AM »

Is Bruce on the 20/20 version of Our Prayer?
MeeMaw
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #6656 on: April 10, 2018, 08:28:57 PM »

Does anyone know who played the drums on "Some Of Your Love?"

Wild Honey is sometimes referred to as The Beach Boy's R&B album. What artists were among their R&B influences at the time?
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6657 on: April 11, 2018, 03:19:40 AM »

Does anyone know who played the drums on "Some Of Your Love?"

According to Wikipedia, it would seem to be Scott Matthews. Hopefully, someone who knows for sure will chime in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keepin%27_the_Summer_Alive

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6658 on: April 12, 2018, 04:12:02 PM »

Is the follow-up album to 15BO called "The Beach Boys Love You", or simply "Love You"?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #6659 on: April 12, 2018, 04:30:19 PM »

Is the follow-up album to 15BO called "The Beach Boys Love You", or simply "Love You"?

It's proper title is "The Beach Boys Love You". Same like "The Beach Boys Today!"
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 04:57:42 PM by Mike Garneau » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6660 on: April 12, 2018, 07:16:13 PM »

It's proper title is "The Beach Boys Love You". Same like "The Beach Boys Today!"

I believe this is correct. But even some official releases refer to it as Love You:

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6661 on: April 12, 2018, 07:19:17 PM »

Most labels/spines/discs don't tend to be labeled "The Beach Boys - The Beach Boys Love You." But I think that's just down to label space and not appearing redundant.

But you can find both!

« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 07:25:06 PM by HeyJude » Logged

Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6662 on: April 12, 2018, 07:29:13 PM »

makes sense.

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6663 on: April 12, 2018, 08:00:02 PM »

It's just been one of those odd things I've always wondered about, whether "The Beach Boys" was ever actually part of the official title, or if it's just a weird unintended coincidence that it happens to read almost like a sentence, like, "Hey, guess what? The Beach Boys Love You".  Grin But the "Love You" being capitalized would not be grammatically correct in a sentence/statement context. Which seems to suggest that "Love You" could be used as a stand alone album title.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6664 on: April 13, 2018, 03:32:27 AM »

It's just been one of those odd things I've always wondered about, whether "The Beach Boys" was ever actually part of the official title, or if it's just a weird unintended coincidence that it happens to read almost like a sentence, like, "Hey, guess what? The Beach Boys Love You".  Grin But the "Love You" being capitalized would not be grammatically correct in a sentence/statement context. Which seems to suggest that "Love You" could be used as a stand alone album title.

If there were plans at one time to call it Brian Loves You, then it would make sense to consider The Beach Boys as part of the official title.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6665 on: April 13, 2018, 06:59:09 AM »

I'm fine with the idea that the album's official title is "The Beach Boys Love You", but that it's easier to just say "Love You" when discussing it. Similarly, I usually refer to the '65 album as "Today", the '64 live album as "Concert", the '73 live album as "In Concert", etc.

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6666 on: April 13, 2018, 07:40:20 AM »

Party!
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6667 on: April 13, 2018, 07:44:33 AM »

Christmas Album

Every wave is new until it breaks.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6668 on: April 15, 2018, 04:15:22 PM »

If Lei'd in Hawaii was supposedly almost completely recorded before they decided not to release it, then why do several of the songs on Sunshine Tomorrow 2 not have any vocals? Is it because Alan Boyd and Mark Linnett wanted to show us WIP in mixes? Or were the vocals never finished?
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6669 on: April 16, 2018, 03:53:08 AM »

Christmas Album

1985 album :=)

All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6670 on: April 20, 2018, 07:58:38 AM »

If Lei'd in Hawaii was supposedly almost completely recorded before they decided not to release it, then why do several of the songs on Sunshine Tomorrow 2 not have any vocals? Is it because Alan Boyd and Mark Linnett wanted to show us WIP in mixes? Or were the vocals never finished?

Just going to bump this because it got lost among the album name discussion.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #6671 on: April 20, 2018, 12:21:33 PM »

I needed something to perk me up this afternoon and read this:
On the Hoffman Board, "SP Honeybunch" (forgot what his name is/was on BB boards) said that Sunflower wasn't successful because there weren't any "Mike Love Rockers" on the album. The Dennis rockers weren't up to Mike's high standards (SPH mentioned SDT as an example of a good ML rocker).

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6672 on: April 20, 2018, 03:40:14 PM »

^lolololololol

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6673 on: April 20, 2018, 08:06:31 PM »

I needed something to perk me up this afternoon and read this:
On the Hoffman Board, "SP Honeybunch" (forgot what his name is/was on BB boards) said that Sunflower wasn't successful because there weren't any "Mike Love Rockers" on the album. The Dennis rockers weren't up to Mike's high standards (SPH mentioned SDT as an example of a good ML rocker).

I'll give him this...if Brian had written another Do It Again or Help Me Rhonda or Fun Fun Fun or I Get Around and Mike sang lead, then, yeah, Sunflower probably would have been more successful.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #6674 on: April 20, 2018, 09:16:50 PM »

Face it. By 1970, the world had had more than enough whiney, bleating Mike Love leads. "Add Some Music" was a decent enough song, but Love's cringeworthy lead vocal was horrendous. No wonder Brian sought out Carl, Dennis and Al to handle the leads. Love was a drag on their reputation while personifying the surf and beach party image that had no place in 1970. SP Honeybunches of Oates is a sick, demented Mike Love worshipper who only makes a complete fool of himself with absolutely has no platform whatsoever to stand on. He pitifully believes that Love is the actual genius of the band who single handedly scored the genuine impetus of the group. And if that's not enough, he has eric david 5000 who may just be the king of all Mike Love apoligists. Who knows if they're one in the same? They both remind me of someone who, fortunately, is not here anymore.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 262 263 264 265 266 [267] 268 269 270 271 272 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx