gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:19:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray, sloopjohnb72 and 36 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 175 176 177 [178] 179 180 181 182 183 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399124 times)
RockNSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4425 on: November 18, 2013, 02:49:33 PM »

Murry contributes a bass vocal on "Be Here In the Morning" ("... FULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL"), but not heard of him adding vocals to "Break Away" before. Mike was well enough to tour spring 1969, when the sessions were held, so... probably not.

OK, thanks for answering!

These categorizations might work If it was 1963 and we were all a bunch of 12 year old girls clutching tear soaked pictures of our favourite beach boy.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4426 on: November 18, 2013, 04:07:40 PM »

Murry contributes a bass vocal on "Be Here In the Morning" ("... FULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL"), but not heard of him adding vocals to "Break Away" before. Mike was well enough to tour spring 1969, when the sessions were held, so... probably not.

Sorry Mr. Doe, sure this was asked many, many times before, but what exactly happened to Mike in 1969? I've read different versions, from tour exhaustion to depression and even something related with drugs (?).

Mike said somewhere, not sure what interview exactly, that what happened was due to his 'tainted Wilson blood'. Would that have to do with the temper/mood changes/mental issues that were common in the Wilson family? And if so, was Mike ever diagnosed of something?

Just curious about it. Mike's always struck me as rather sane.

In 1969 ? Nothing. Mike was hospitalised in early 1970 (which is why Brian did the very short NW tour in his place) because he undertook an ill-advised and somewhat extreme fast. Between November 30th 1969 and March 9th 1970, Mike didn't do any live shows (mind, the band only did eight).

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4427 on: November 18, 2013, 04:50:39 PM »

Outside of it's official release on Sunflower, does anything exist from All I Wanna Do?

I would really love to hear stuff like a vocal/instruments only mix.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #4428 on: November 18, 2013, 04:58:16 PM »

Just wondering, is there any thread which shows every single picture sleeve for every US or UK or Australian Beach Boys singles releases?
I haven't started collecting Beach Boys singles yet, but I hope to start soon. But I want to get the Picture Sleeves as well, and it will be great to know what each one looks like
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #4429 on: November 18, 2013, 05:00:24 PM »

Just wondering, is there any thread which shows every single picture sleeve for every US or UK or Australian Beach Boys singles releases?
I haven't started collecting Beach Boys singles yet, but I hope to start soon. But I want to get the Picture Sleeves as well, and it will be great to know what each one looks like

Go here:  http://www.beachboys45.nl/

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4430 on: November 18, 2013, 05:17:21 PM »

Outside of it's official release on Sunflower, does anything exist from All I Wanna Do?

I would really love to hear stuff like a vocal/instruments only mix.

It would be so cool to hear a version without all the delay effects! Anyone know if it the band's/Desper's intention for Brian and Carl's backing vocals to fall out-of-synch on the fade out, or was it a mistake?

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #4431 on: November 18, 2013, 05:31:22 PM »

The Australian EP section, showing the number of variations amongst releases, is particularly compelling:

http://www.beachboys45.nl/Australia-Capitol%20EP63-64.htm
http://www.beachboys45.nl/Australia-Capitol%20EP65-69.htm

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #4432 on: November 18, 2013, 07:07:04 PM »

I was thinking there was a recording of All I Wanna Do with a sitar, but I could be thinkng of another tune.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4433 on: November 18, 2013, 07:12:05 PM »

I was thinking there was a recording of All I Wanna Do with a sitar, but I could be thinkng of another tune.

I seriously hope that exists!!

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4434 on: November 18, 2013, 07:16:43 PM »

It's such a wonderful song, and it really does perplex me why (to my knowledge) nothing has surfaced.

Are there any recordings of the song being performed live? Did they even play it live?

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #4435 on: November 18, 2013, 07:19:36 PM »

It's such a wonderful song, and it really does perplex me why (to my knowledge) nothing has surfaced.

Are there any recordings of the song being performed live? Did they even play it live?

No such performance has been documented.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4436 on: November 18, 2013, 07:58:58 PM »

Not quite true - I was the person who asked the BB about "All I Wanna Do" at their Grammy Museum appearance during the Q&A part with the audience, and while Brian seemed to not even recall it by name, Mike chimed in by quietly singing the chorus to Brian (to remind him of it), and this "performance" was captured on tape (albeit, very very quietly Smiley This embarrassing moment (of the band not even recalling their own songs off of their 2nd most praised album of all time) was written up about in the OC Weekly, if I recall correctly.

I also got Bruce to sing a line or two of "Don't Run Away" when I ran into him there.

The band's history of ignoring and brushing aside the amazing "All I Wanna Do" is among the most perplexing things they've ever done (in a history of perplexing decisions). The song is a (hardcore) fan favorite, which deserves to be presented/officially released in instrumental and backing-track-only mixes at some point.

Crossing my fingers that Stephen W. Desper does a study video on it (hint, hint)...

The band seems to have recognized the "quality" of many other deep cuts in recent years, like "Time to Get Alone", "Soulful Old Man Shunshine", etc... but somehow AIWD gets no praise from the band themselves (or their compilers). I just don't get it.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 08:02:11 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #4437 on: November 18, 2013, 09:14:08 PM »

Not quite true - I was the person who asked the BB about "All I Wanna Do" at their Grammy Museum appearance during the Q&A part with the audience, and while Brian seemed to not even recall it by name, Mike chimed in by quietly singing the chorus to Brian (to remind him of it), and this "performance" was captured on tape (albeit, very very quietly Smiley This embarrassing moment (of the band not even recalling their own songs off of their 2nd most praised album of all time) was written up about in the OC Weekly, if I recall correctly.

A live performance analogous with that of "Pom Pom Playgirl" from 1971? Grin

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4438 on: November 18, 2013, 09:32:30 PM »

I'll totally admit that it's a stretch to call Mike at Grammy Museum quietly singing to Brian (in front of an audience, mind you) of the chorus of "All I Wanna Do" an actual "performance", but it may be the closest we ever get to one! And it was recorded Smiley

You'll have to fill me in about the details of PPP from '71...  
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 09:34:37 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #4439 on: November 18, 2013, 11:06:16 PM »

I'll totally admit that it's a stretch to call Mike at Grammy Museum quietly singing to Brian (in front of an audience, mind you) of the chorus of "All I Wanna Do" an actual "performance", but it may be the closest we ever get to one! And it was recorded Smiley

You'll have to fill me in about the details of PPP from '71...  

Here you go:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?topic=7514.0

schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4440 on: November 19, 2013, 11:11:14 AM »

Sorry Mr. Doe, sure this was asked many, many times before, but what exactly happened to Mike in 1969? I've read different versions, from tour exhaustion to depression and even something related with drugs (?).

Mike said somewhere, not sure what interview exactly, that what happened was due to his 'tainted Wilson blood'. Would that have to do with the temper/mood changes/mental issues that were common in the Wilson family? And if so, was Mike ever diagnosed of something?

Just curious about it. Mike's always struck me as rather sane.

In 1969 ? Nothing. Mike was hospitalised in early 1970 (which is why Brian did the very short NW tour in his place) because he undertook an ill-advised and somewhat extreme fast. Between November 30th 1969 and March 9th 1970, Mike didn't do any live shows (mind, the band only did eight).

Thank you for the answer! So it was all related to fasting? Interesting.

"Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray...it might come true
Baby then there wouldn't be a single thing we couldn't do..."
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4441 on: November 19, 2013, 03:05:06 PM »

Maybe All I Wanna Do is one of those that were written about someone in particular and the band don't want to release it.  A bit like Lady Lynda nowadays. Just a thought.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4442 on: November 19, 2013, 03:19:26 PM »

Maybe All I Wanna Do is one of those that were written about someone in particular and the band don't want to release it.  A bit like Lady Lynda nowadays. Just a thought.

That's a good theory that would make sense, although I sorta doubt it. But there isn't any real other answer that seems to make much sense, so maybe that's it.

Even purely from a production standpoint, All I Wanna Do seems to be pretty groundbreaking and progressive, in a way that the band (I would think) would be especially proud of.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that this was more Mike's song than Brian's? Or that it started off as Mike's riff/melody that was expounded upon? Even more of a reason one would think that Mike would advocate for it being higher profile.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4443 on: November 19, 2013, 05:34:14 PM »

You are in for some expensive collecting if you plan to tackle the picture sleeve collection.    some are very rare and will only be found through a dealer.  but hey, the hunt is the fun part.  happy hunting!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #4444 on: November 19, 2013, 08:45:48 PM »

That's a good theory that would make sense, although I sorta doubt it. But there isn't any real other answer that seems to make much sense, so maybe that's it.

Even purely from a production standpoint, All I Wanna Do seems to be pretty groundbreaking and progressive, in a way that the band (I would think) would be especially proud of.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that this was more Mike's song than Brian's? Or that it started off as Mike's riff/melody that was expounded upon? Even more of a reason one would think that Mike would advocate for it being higher profile.
Of special note, granted it's not a performance... all I wanna do is on the Endless Harmony doc..so either the guys and/or Alan Boyd is a fan.  I like that they use it during the section about meditation.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4445 on: November 21, 2013, 04:30:25 PM »

New member to the board MikestheGreatest!!

An arch nemesis to Old Surfer Dude. The same poster from the old ego board?
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #4446 on: November 22, 2013, 08:31:38 AM »

This has been discussed before, so this is just a rant on my part.  But in what kind of world or universe is it acceptable or allowable that a song such as Wouldn’t It Be Nice to Live Again is left off the actual album (Surf’s Up) and not even issued as a single.  I mean, was Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds left off Sgt. Pepper?  (Uh, no) Was Mr. Tambourine left off Bringing It All Back Home?

GEEZ

What were The Boys thinking?  And what were they on at the time to make such a dumb decision?

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #4447 on: November 22, 2013, 09:43:00 AM »

I thought it was about TM and meditating and so on.
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4448 on: November 22, 2013, 10:21:41 AM »

This has been discussed before, so this is just a rant on my part.  But in what kind of world or universe is it acceptable or allowable that a song such as Wouldn’t It Be Nice to Live Again is left off the actual album (Surf’s Up) and not even issued as a single.  I mean, was Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds left off Sgt. Pepper?  (Uh, no) Was Mr. Tambourine left off Bringing It All Back Home?

GEEZ

What were The Boys thinking?  And what were they on at the time to make such a dumb decision?

If I recall correctly, Dennis and Carl argued about the order of the track list for the album because they couldn't agree whether Wouldn't It Be Nice to Live Again or Surf's Up be the last song on the album. In the end, Dennis was the one who decided not to put the song in the album.

Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4449 on: November 22, 2013, 10:36:17 AM »

GEEZ

If I recall correctly, Dennis and Carl argued about the order of the track list for the album because they couldn't agree whether Wouldn't It Be Nice to Live Again or Surf's Up be the last song on the album. In the end, Dennis was the one who decided not to put the song in the album.

Surfs Up would have been improved SO much, I think with this song.. I think it is a great album but slightly inconsistent... As much as I do love "Feet", it really doesn't fit on the album at all. I don't like Student Demonstration Time really either. I know a lot of people love Disney Girls too but I couldn't really care less about any of Bruce's compositions at all except Deirdre and Endless Harmony. That song I feel doesn't fit on there at all either.

With at least 2 songs that I don't think fit well on the album, or doesn't fit what the Beach Boys were trying to successfully do with their image at the time (write serious, more cryptic or "edgy" material), it kinda messes with the running order. Then you have songs like "Lookin At Tomorrow" which I really like, but some days I find kind of lame and the lyrics to Don't Go Near The Water which could have ruined a perfectly good backing track (as heard on MIC) if not for the great vocals, at least Dennis's WIBNTLA or "4th Of July" would have really added a whole lot to this album I think. I can see why Surfs Up would beat out WIBNTLA for the ending song, that's a no brainer, but I wish Dennis would have compromised and tried to get it put somewhere else on the album. I personally really do think it would have added a LOT to the album and I think it is as great as people say it is.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 175 176 177 [178] 179 180 181 182 183 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx