gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:27:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
shadownoze, Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray, sloopjohnb72 (+ 2 Hidden) and 54 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 171 172 173 [174] 175 176 177 178 179 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399418 times)
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4325 on: October 07, 2013, 10:41:11 AM »

Hoping someone can help me out - I recently lost my black BB 50 hat that I purchased at the concert I went to in May 2012. It pains me to think of what happened to it, and surely I don't deserve to have it replaced. But if you can find it in your heart to have mercy on me, can anyone tell me where to a BB hat -- ANY BB hat? (other than yellow hat with red, or black with pink lettering....)

Thanks ya'll!!!!!!!!!!

Howzabout this:  http://www.merchdirect.com/TheBeachBoys/Hats/BeachBoys50thYellowPrintHatonNavy/?productid=15685 

outta stock... but thanks man Smiley

The pink one isn't Wink

I said no pink man!!! haha

In all seriousness, aren't the BB's missing an obvious and easy opportunity here? I would think they would have official merchandise available for on-line purchase on a regular basis.... Oh well....

Its not pink... more of a fuschia and it's $6 less!! 

But in MORE all seriousness, what part of Beach Boys and missed opportunities have you found NOT to be lacking in their career?

hahaha - touche
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4326 on: October 07, 2013, 08:17:08 PM »

What's the difference between the Landlocked version of "Good Time" and the Love You version of "Good Time?"
Other than mixing, that is.

Was the Love You version the original track and the Landlocked version added onto? Or, was the Love You version stripped down for release?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #4327 on: October 07, 2013, 08:35:21 PM »

What's the difference between the Landlocked version of "Good Time" and the Love You version of "Good Time?"

Was the Love You version the original track and the Landlocked version added onto? Or, was the Love You version stripped down for release?
I don't have an answer because I've not listened to both back to back, but another item to factor in is the American Spring's version of the song. It does have the Boys singing backing vocals, so listening to that may help…or it may not, just a suggestion.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #4328 on: October 07, 2013, 10:08:05 PM »

Message from Mike Eder on Facebook with request that it be shared here also:

"One thing, I am OK, never have been on drugs that can make me hyper, (always been hyper slightly) and am now sleeping. No more of "EGO MIKE" 25 years a little not sure of myself led to a buildup of ego I now lack! Thanks "

“We live in divisive times.”
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #4329 on: October 07, 2013, 11:21:03 PM »

Message from Mike Eder on Facebook with request that it be shared here also:

"One thing, I am OK, never have been on drugs that can make me hyper, (always been hyper slightly) and am now sleeping. No more of "EGO MIKE" 25 years a little not sure of myself led to a buildup of ego I now lack! Thanks "

I don't exactly see this as proof that Mike is OK.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4330 on: October 08, 2013, 12:04:20 AM »

Ego is gone for Mike.
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4331 on: October 08, 2013, 12:53:28 AM »

finished? Roll Eyes k, back to the boys of beach, enough of this crappy tangent.

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #4332 on: October 09, 2013, 09:33:00 AM »

finished? Roll Eyes k, back to the boys of beach, enough of this crappy tangent.

573 posts in Gertie and we're still waiting for you to post something of relevance to The Beach Boys.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4333 on: October 09, 2013, 10:30:38 AM »

573 posts in Gertie and we're still waiting for you to post something of relevance to The Beach Boys.
Haha

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #4334 on: October 10, 2013, 04:59:57 AM »

Same recording, no overdubs or additions. The overall mix is fairly different, the production is different, the backing vocals are drastically louder, and Brian's bit of ad-libbing (the "Whoa-whoa" stuff during the bridge, the "hey" near the end) aren't there.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4335 on: October 14, 2013, 11:44:01 AM »

Same recording, no overdubs or additions. The overall mix is fairly different, the production is different, the backing vocals are drastically louder, and Brian's bit of ad-libbing (the "Whoa-whoa" stuff during the bridge, the "hey" near the end) aren't there.

I find it weird on the MIC box they used the same exact mix as on Love You, yet placed the song on disc 3 along with the other 1970 Sunflower-era tracks. Sandwiched in-between Suzie Cincinatti and Slip On Through. It's not a problem at all and doesn't really matter since the mixes are pretty much the same with only very minor differences, but strange they wouldn't go with an older mix (the mix that has been booted).

I still also wonder what is up with Sail Plane Song and why they would add effects on there that most likely wasn't intended on the original version (as heard on Endless Harmony). I mean it's cool to hear an experiment like that and I'm glad we have both, but it's just... strange.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4336 on: October 14, 2013, 06:10:00 PM »

So I recently bought an original copy of TheWilson Project from a friend, the pink cover…very interesting so far. The friend who sold it said he never had the tapes that came with the book. I've never heard the tapes. My question is, what's on these tapes? Music? Spoken Word documentation?

Is it worth seeking out now that I have the book?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4337 on: October 14, 2013, 06:25:02 PM »

I tried to do a site search and didn't find anything, but I'm sure this has been addressed.

In the Gaines book, it says "Surfer Girl" was recorded by Brian without any assistance from the rest of the boys vocally or instrumentally. I'm assuming this isn't true? It says friends of his recorded the BVs.

Edit: Finally found a thread http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,9620.0.html

I know the Gaines book is filled with untruths and gossip, but I figured I'd give it a reread for some of the Dennis stuff.

Another thing I found interesting is that it correctly says David and Al were in the band together at the same time near the end of David's tenure. How did the myth that this wasn't the case last so long if that book was written in 1986?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 06:48:41 PM by startBBtoday » Logged
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4338 on: October 14, 2013, 06:44:24 PM »

Another thing I found interesting is that it correctly says David and Al were in the band together at the same time near the end of David's tenure. How did the myth that this wasn't the case last so long if that book was written in 1985?

All the press releases and white lies told to the press (to streamline the history) both before and after 1985.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4339 on: October 14, 2013, 07:14:28 PM »

Does Brian play all the instruments on "Where is She?"
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4340 on: October 14, 2013, 08:08:04 PM »

negative

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4341 on: October 15, 2013, 12:38:40 AM »

Did Carl ever make any kind of public comment on his ill health between 1996-98? I'm just curios about what his outlook was like. If he stayed positive, etc. I've always found it slightly un-nerving that he would supposedly laugh during the "and my dying" line during Sail On Sailor during his last tour.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4342 on: October 15, 2013, 09:53:48 AM »

When is the online sessions data for Made in California going to be posted?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4343 on: October 15, 2013, 12:31:27 PM »

So I recently bought an original copy of The Wilson Project from a friend, the pink cover…very interesting so far. The friend who sold it said he never had the tapes that came with the book. I've never heard the tapes. My question is, what's on these tapes? Music? Spoken Word documentation?

I'm not the type to bump my own posts, but is there really no one on the board that owns the tapes who can tell me their contents? I feel it's odd nothing from those tapes has been booted or released on a rarities comp (as far as I know!)

~post of the century~
-Mikie

startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4344 on: October 15, 2013, 02:02:05 PM »

In the Gaines book, it says the Maharishi suggested the Beatles tithe 10-25% of their earnings into a Swiss bank account in his name. Does anyone know if Mike has been doing any of this since the late-60s? How heavily involved is Mike into TM? He seems to mention it in almost every single appearance, concert, interview, etc. And in this article (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-512747/Lennon-right-The-Giggling-Guru-shameless-old-fraud.html) it says Mike is a teacher of TM, so he must have some investment in the movement.

Is there any possibility that TM and Mike's involvement has more to do with some of the disagreements within the band than anyone may surmise from the surface? It's entirely possible I'm completely off base in this question, but I felt it was worth hearing what others had to say.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4345 on: October 16, 2013, 09:24:10 AM »

So I recently bought an original copy of The Wilson Project from a friend, the pink cover…very interesting so far. The friend who sold it said he never had the tapes that came with the book. I've never heard the tapes. My question is, what's on these tapes? Music? Spoken Word documentation?

I'm not the type to bump my own posts, but is there really no one on the board that owns the tapes who can tell me their contents? I feel it's odd nothing from those tapes has been booted or released on a rarities comp (as far as I know!)

I bought both books back in the day, and there were no tapes.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4346 on: October 16, 2013, 02:03:39 PM »

Who in the world is Ben Plumbrook?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #4347 on: October 16, 2013, 04:18:12 PM »

Who in the world is Ben Plumbrook?

your father?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4348 on: October 16, 2013, 11:58:55 PM »

That's not him
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4349 on: October 17, 2013, 01:32:21 AM »

That's not me, either.

(Ya see what I did there ?  Grin )

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 171 172 173 [174] 175 176 177 178 179 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx