gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 12:01:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 164 165 166 [167] 168 169 170 171 172 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1406057 times)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4150 on: September 03, 2013, 08:33:50 AM »

I have the feeling I've asked this before .....

On the Cotton Fields single mix, there's some strange clicking sound during the second chorus - it turns up on the stereo mix most prominently, but it's on the boot of the backing track too and also on the mono mix. It sounds faintly digital, (if it's on the mono mix, can it be?) but it just keeps bugging me. Anyone else hear it?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4151 on: September 03, 2013, 08:40:47 AM »

in the 1998 vh1 documentary "imagination" there is the performance with Brian and Bruce with the rest of Brian's band. Was this a one off? Or were there more shows that Bruce played with Brian? I would love to see more footage of that.

Nope, that was a one-off show.  It also took place a year before Brian started touring so it was a one-off in that way as well.

It was also not "Brian's band," or at least not as we know them today. No Wondermints, no Foskett. Instead, there were several studio guys from the album, along with a fellow from the Eagles. Scotty Bennett (with shocking blond hair) and Paul Mertens (as part of the winds section) can be spotted, though.

Been a while since I've watched it, but I don't recall Scotty being listed as one of the musicians. Bruce played a Beach Boys show earlier that day, btw.
Are we talking the same appearance that had Christopher Cross in the band too?
Yerp.
Wasn't Timothy B. Schmidt part of that, too?

Hence my reference to "a fellow from the Eagles." Sorry about the Scotty Bennett thing, though -- he is on the Imagination album, and he was a backing vocalist (not instrumentalist) on the first batch of dates in 99, but I guess he wasn't at the St. Charles show.
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4152 on: September 03, 2013, 04:22:35 PM »

Were the Bruce Morgan compositions on "Lost & Found" covers or were they written specifically for the Beach Boys?

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4153 on: September 03, 2013, 05:50:27 PM »

Can anyone name the keyboard player in this 1973 concert shot by Chris English?

http://www.chrisenglishphotography.com/photo/4051561445095abc97f7ad

This is a terrific set of shots btw, worth exploring further.

I asked that a while back and was told it's Chicago's Robert Lamm, former husband to Karen, and future Like A Brother guy to Carl.  It looks like him to me as well.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #4154 on: September 03, 2013, 05:57:21 PM »

Were the Bruce Morgan compositions on "Lost & Found" covers or were they written specifically for the Beach Boys?
I can't remember all of them but I think Luau was written by Bruce Morgan, their son…What is a Young girl Made Of and Barbie were written by Brian, I think.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4155 on: September 03, 2013, 06:07:32 PM »

In the MIC book, where was the big Sunflower era pic taken? Where were Mike and his robes? And who let Carl wear those ridiculous trousers?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4156 on: September 03, 2013, 06:29:42 PM »

I can't remember all of them but I think Luau was written by Bruce Morgan, their son…What is a Young girl Made Of and Barbie were written by Brian, I think.

So were those songs recorded by anyone before the Beach Boys?

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4157 on: September 03, 2013, 06:32:53 PM »

In the MIC book, where was the big Sunflower era pic taken? Where were Mike and his robes? And who let Carl wear those ridiculous trousers?

I was wondering the same thing. Never noticed the big "FUNERAL HOME" sign in the background.
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4158 on: September 03, 2013, 07:34:59 PM »

Wasn't the story behind the Kenny and the Cadets songs that Hite Morgan had the backing tracks and lyrics sitting around and just asked Brian to finish them with a vocal performance (which explains why it wasn't the Beach Boys lineup on the vocals).

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #4159 on: September 03, 2013, 08:05:48 PM »

"...old studio back lot at Warner’s Burbank Studios" according to this excellent website:

http://www.pipeline-operaglass.moonfruit.com/#/sunflower/4517926726

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #4160 on: September 03, 2013, 08:10:41 PM »

Both What is a Young girl Made Of and Barbie are credited to B. Morgan.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4161 on: September 03, 2013, 10:28:46 PM »

Bellagio 10452 saves you thinking.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #4162 on: September 03, 2013, 10:49:00 PM »

Although reading AGD's ComGuide might make you think differently  Grin

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4163 on: September 03, 2013, 11:01:23 PM »

Correct, but not my error - the editor assumed it was a BW song. Didn't see it until the book was printed. There's a much, much bigger error that was my fault.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4164 on: September 03, 2013, 11:03:20 PM »

Correct, but not my error - the editor assumed it was a BW song. Didn't see it until the book was printed. There's a much, much bigger error that was my fault.  Grin

I feel compelled to ask what that "much, much bigger error" is.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #4165 on: September 03, 2013, 11:40:01 PM »

Is this where we point out more minor errors and have Andrew go "No!" after each one, growing more and more irritated?  Grin

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #4166 on: September 04, 2013, 12:14:38 AM »

Oh really... Shocked

Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #4167 on: September 04, 2013, 12:24:20 AM »

I was wondering the same thing. Never noticed the big "FUNERAL HOME" sign in the background.

Check out the "sunflower" page on my Beach Boys album covers website - www.pipeline-operaglass.moonfruit.com - need a bt of an update these days but still has some decent info !

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
bluesno1fann
« Reply #4168 on: September 05, 2013, 04:37:35 PM »

Forgive me if i'm wrong, but can Mike Love even play the saxophone. In any case does he even play anything else?
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #4169 on: September 05, 2013, 04:50:21 PM »

Forgive me if i'm wrong, but can Mike Love even play the saxophone. In any case does he even play anything else?

Yes. The best visual evidence of this is the intro to Fun * 3 from The Lost Concert DVD: http://youtu.be/n4FOiVM4bQc?t=4s

The best audio proof (if indeed it is him, and I hope that it is) is What'd I Say, live in Sydney '64: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuqhvy_VcH4

He also knows his way around a theremin, keyboards (I think) and tambourine. He's also been known to hold a bass guitar.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #4170 on: September 06, 2013, 01:34:24 AM »

Another question would be about the Songs from Here and Back Album:
What shows do "Wouldn't it be Nice" and "Good Vibrations" come from and what dates?
jvcthome
Smiley Smile Associate

fear and loathing in the woodstock nation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4171 on: September 06, 2013, 05:00:43 PM »

Uh... what the hell is this? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2934150/
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4172 on: September 06, 2013, 05:04:32 PM »

Uh... what the hell is this? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2934150/

3D

chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4173 on: September 06, 2013, 07:11:59 PM »

Wat.

Also, I've never seen a recentish picture of Mike Love with no hat. Will someone post one?
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #4174 on: September 06, 2013, 07:15:32 PM »

Wat.

Also, I've never seen a recentish picture of Mike Love with no hat. Will someone post one?

Go visit Mike's Facebook page.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 164 165 166 [167] 168 169 170 171 172 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx