gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680792 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 05:53:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 157 158 159 [160] 161 162 163 164 165 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1409094 times)
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #3975 on: July 12, 2013, 11:31:13 PM »

Is Dennis's relationship with Shawn Marie Love the sole reason (or at least the most significant one) for Dennis and Mike's mutual dislike for each other?

If I can recall correctly, the relationship between Mike and Dennis was usually pretty strained. However, when Dennis was introduced to Shawn as Mike's illegitimate daughter, he saw the ability to get some sort of ultimate revenge against Mike.

It worked. Mike wasn't thrilled about it.

There's a 'story' circulating on the 'net, which I've seen crop up numerous times now (usually when there's some heavy-duty Mike bashing taking place), which claims that when Shawn was seriously ill she contacted Mike asking him to give her money so she could afford some much-needed surgery. He refused, she died.

Now, I realise Mike has done some questionable things over the years, but refusing to fund a life-saving op for his own daughter just seems outright evil and I cannot believe there is any truth in this... So where and how did this story arise? I'd like to know the facts so that next time some Mike-hater brings it up I can set them straight (as I did after learning the truth behind the 'Mike popping champagne on the news of Dennis' death' story, courtesy of AGD).
dwtherealbb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3976 on: July 13, 2013, 09:08:06 PM »

There's a 'story' circulating on the 'net, which I've seen crop up numerous times now (usually when there's some heavy-duty Mike bashing taking place), which claims that when Shawn was seriously ill she contacted Mike asking him to give her money so she could afford some much-needed surgery. He refused, she died.

Now, I realise Mike has done some questionable things over the years, but refusing to fund a life-saving op for his own daughter just seems outright evil and I cannot believe there is any truth in this... So where and how did this story arise? I'd like to know the facts so that next time some Mike-hater brings it up I can set them straight (as I did after learning the truth behind the 'Mike popping champagne on the news of Dennis' death' story, courtesy of AGD).

What I read about Mike was that before the beach boys (late 50s/early 60s), he was a humorous and fun guy to be around. In "An American Family" it shows Mike and Dennis as buddies going surfing together (the scene being set circa 1960). The more I read about them, I realize that Mike, Dennis and Brian were three immature kids with previously little exposure to the outside world who maybe couldn't handle fame and fortune at a young age. 

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3977 on: July 13, 2013, 09:19:11 PM »

Is Dennis's relationship with Shawn Marie Love the sole reason (or at least the most significant one) for Dennis and Mike's mutual dislike for each other?

If I can recall correctly, the relationship between Mike and Dennis was usually pretty strained. However, when Dennis was introduced to Shawn as Mike's illegitimate daughter, he saw the ability to get some sort of ultimate revenge against Mike.

IIRC, the paternity of Shawn was never actually settled.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #3978 on: July 14, 2013, 05:47:49 AM »

IIRC, the paternity of Shawn was never actually settled.

Someone should do a retro DNA test, to confirm for posterity

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3979 on: July 14, 2013, 02:50:37 PM »

Insignificant link: http://www.gq.com/entertainment/celebrities/201307/the-25-worst-rappers-of-all-time?mbid=gqpr#slide=11

Poor guy. You do one terrible, unreleased rap song and you end up on a list with the likes of Soulja Boy.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #3980 on: July 14, 2013, 03:16:16 PM »

Whatever happened to the giant C50 on-stage screen?

I bet it's sitting comfortably in Mike's livingroom. Grin
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3981 on: July 14, 2013, 03:31:01 PM »

Insignificant link: http://www.gq.com/entertainment/celebrities/201307/the-25-worst-rappers-of-all-time?mbid=gqpr#slide=11

Poor guy. You do one terrible, unreleased rap song and you end up on a list with the likes of Soulja Boy.

Whilst that list is immense bullshit, Brian probably deserves his place on it.

Then again, Mike can't rap either. At least Brian's flow is more sprightly.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3982 on: July 14, 2013, 04:18:22 PM »

Lists like this always are. I mean, ICP number 1? Fifty million Juggalos can't be wrong.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #3983 on: July 14, 2013, 04:50:33 PM »

Brian Wilson, WOW(e)r         ( Worst Old White Rapper )

Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #3984 on: July 14, 2013, 06:00:03 PM »

Lists like this always are. I mean, ICP number 1? Fifty million Juggalos can't be wrong.
They can. They're Juggalos..

A discipline daddy.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #3985 on: July 15, 2013, 07:25:53 AM »

Just found this… not sure if it's been mentioned here 'afore:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKCw79a6bIA

“We live in divisive times.”
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #3986 on: July 15, 2013, 08:58:39 AM »

Yeah, because judging an artist based on songs he didn't officially release is only fair...
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #3987 on: July 15, 2013, 04:12:52 PM »

Yeah, because judging an artist based on songs he didn't officially release is only fair...

That would be true if he never released it. But, since he mailed out ( presumably) 250 cassette copies to radio programmers/others as a push for his autobiography( WIBN), it's somewhat official; 
according to Brian( Landy, probably) in the accompanying letter( dated November 23, 1991): 
>> the song's going to surprise you.     It's a rap.    A white surfer "Beach Boy" rap.     Done tongue-in-cheek from a Malibu homey who has learned that there's nothing like "Smart Girls"<<

Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3988 on: July 15, 2013, 09:20:58 PM »

Just found this… not sure if it's been mentioned here 'afore:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKCw79a6bIA

Wow.  Lips Sealed
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #3989 on: July 16, 2013, 03:59:58 PM »

is Dennis doing the backing vocals in "409"?

Pretty sure he is in there somewhore. I could be wrong of course, but it sounds kinda like that's him on the 2nd highest part.
Nice Freudian slip.

A discipline daddy.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #3990 on: July 16, 2013, 04:06:29 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:56:23 PM by zatch » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3991 on: July 17, 2013, 12:06:10 AM »

Why is Jon Bon Jovi credited as a writer on "Summer's Gone"? I feel like I missed something...
Nicko1234
« Reply #3992 on: July 17, 2013, 01:09:53 AM »

Why is Jon Bon Jovi credited as a writer on "Summer's Gone"? I feel like I missed something...

Well because he co-wrote it. Due to him knowing Joe Thomas presumably.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3993 on: July 17, 2013, 02:34:57 AM »

Yeah, Brian apparently wrote the first verse, and JT gave JBJ that to finish. Of course, Jon Bon Jovi, a perfect fit.

Can't complain of course because it's amazing, but there are thousands of musicians that would spring to mind before Jon bloody Bon Jovi.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3994 on: July 17, 2013, 10:23:08 PM »

Yeah, Brian apparently wrote the first verse, and JT gave JBJ that to finish. Of course, Jon Bon Jovi, a perfect fit.

Can't complain of course because it's amazing, but there are thousands of musicians that would spring to mind before Jon bloody Bon Jovi.

I believe the story is that Brian had written the music for a verse (of course, the song is basically only a single repeated verse, with a teensy bridge section), and the first couple of lines. Brian knew he wanted to end the last Beach Boys album with it, too.

Jon Bon Jovi was visiting the studio one day, and Joe asked him if he wanted to take a stab at adding more lyrics. JBJ apparently got very excited, calling the song Brian's "My Way" and worked out the rest.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #3995 on: July 18, 2013, 12:08:47 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:55:54 PM by zatch » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3996 on: July 18, 2013, 04:31:56 PM »

Has anyone cobbled together a complete Our Prayer from the single tracked sessions from TSS?

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3997 on: July 18, 2013, 07:06:23 PM »

Out of curiosity, I went on YouTube and found when the Beach Boys performed on Baywatch (geez, television drama has definitely improved since then).  What I found strange was that this was from 1995 and Carl is not performing with the band.  Mike, Al, and Bruce are there and strangely David Marks (both he and Al are sporting hideous ponytails) is there, I didn't think he rejoined the group until '97 when Carl left for cancer treatment.  Anybody know why Carl wasn't there and when exactly David got involved with the group again?

http://youtu.be/6r3zz_5Qc4E

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #3998 on: July 18, 2013, 08:01:01 PM »

Out of curiosity, I went on YouTube and found when the Beach Boys performed on Baywatch (geez, television drama has definitely improved since then).  What I found strange was that this was from 1995 and Carl is not performing with the band.  Mike, Al, and Bruce are there and strangely David Marks (both he and Al are sporting hideous ponytails) is there, I didn't think he rejoined the group until '97 when Carl left for cancer treatment.  Anybody know why Carl wasn't there and when exactly David got involved with the group again?

http://youtu.be/6r3zz_5Qc4E
Kinda weird. David had the good sense not to be onstage, apparently, for their 2nd number, "new song, Summer in Paradise", which was what, 2-3 years old by then.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Nicko1234
« Reply #3999 on: July 18, 2013, 08:05:33 PM »

This performance is hilarious and Al, David and Matt all look like complete gimps.

I would guess that this was one of those occasions where Carl refused to be involved and so they asked David to fake the guitar playing.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 157 158 159 [160] 161 162 163 164 165 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx