gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 09:04:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 137 138 139 [140] 141 142 143 144 145 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1410453 times)
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3475 on: January 25, 2013, 04:52:35 PM »

Always wanted to hear the saxes more prominent in the mix on that tune, or maybe a version without the lead vocal in order to hear the instrumentation better.  Didn't Roy himself play some percussion on the song too?  One of the better non oldies on that album in my opinion.
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3476 on: January 25, 2013, 08:50:10 PM »

Okay, this is probably a silly question, but here goes: one of my favorite early album cuts is "The Drive-In". I think it's one of Mike's funniest lyrics and I love his vocal on it. But this lyric: "Or the cat dressed in white will scare you both to death"  really puzzles me-does anyone have an idea what it is referring to, or was it just a nonsense line?   

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #3477 on: January 25, 2013, 10:06:20 PM »

IIRC, it's referring to a drive-in attendant who was typically dressed in white, I guess.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3478 on: January 26, 2013, 03:22:03 AM »

How much did Brian record at RCA? I've noticed more and more that he always sneaks RCA in with Gold Star and Western and his other regular studios and has even misattributed sessions to RCA.

A related question, was "My Obsession" recorded at RCA by any chance? I can't help but get the feeling Brian lists RCA as one of 'his' studios in order to seem cooler.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3479 on: January 26, 2013, 04:09:20 AM »

Okay, this is probably a silly question, but here goes: one of my favorite early album cuts is "The Drive-In". I think it's one of Mike's funniest lyrics and I love his vocal on it. But this lyric: "Or the cat dressed in white will scare you both to death"  really puzzles me-does anyone have an idea what it is referring to, or was it just a nonsense line?   

I figured there might have been white-clad attendants who wandered around making sure there were no shenaniganss going on. I used to go to drive-ins when I was a kid but I don't remember ...
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #3480 on: January 26, 2013, 04:15:03 AM »

I figured there might have been white-clad attendants who wandered around making sure there were no shenaniganss going on. I used to go to drive-ins when I was a kid but I don't remember ...
That's how I've always understood it, as well.
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3481 on: January 26, 2013, 07:23:22 AM »

Is that Bruce taking the highs on Got to Know the Woman? It doesn't sound like Brian too much to me.

Check out this link:

http://recordingsunflower.blogspot.com.au/2008/02/track-4-got-to-know-woman.html

Great!
Thanks so much.
I guess it sounded so feminine to me, because it is.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #3482 on: January 26, 2013, 08:22:26 AM »

While we're on the subject of lyrics us non-native English speakers don't understand: please help me with the meaning of this:

"In my car a wild record drives me out of my tree"

What tree? And how can a record drive him out of it?

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3483 on: January 26, 2013, 08:23:37 AM »

While we're on the subject of lyrics us non-native English speakers don't understand: please help me with the meaning of this:

It means roughly "drive me wild" or "drive me insane".

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
modestmaus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3484 on: January 26, 2013, 09:02:08 AM »

Was Carl Wilson afraid of goats (at least around the time they did the Pet Sounds photo shoot)? In the San Diego Zoo/Pet Sounds pictures he tends to look awkward, nervous, and generally speaking, quite uncomfortable.

In the one picture of Bruce Johnston I saw from the shoot he looks a bit nervous as well about the goats. Judging from the pictures Dennis was probably the one who enjoyed the photo shoot the most, as expected!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 09:03:32 AM by modestmaus » Logged
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #3485 on: January 26, 2013, 09:32:38 AM »

It means roughly "drive me wild" or "drive me insane".
Thank you.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
halblaineisgood
« Reply #3486 on: January 26, 2013, 05:20:52 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 10:20:03 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #3487 on: January 26, 2013, 07:09:28 PM »

Is  there a good T.A.M.I. Show thread somewhere ? I still am not sure I know all I need to know ,  and I was left a bit underwhelmed by the DVD commentary. Steve Binder was helpful enough. Though I was sort of unimpressed with the  historian guy. If only there was a deluxe deluxe super deluxe with multiple commentaries. Certainly a Quentin Tarantino one would be a cool idea, and how about rounding up some of the artists to share their thoughts. Brian Wilson, do you own this DVD ?

What would you like to know?

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
halblaineisgood
« Reply #3488 on: January 26, 2013, 09:05:51 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 10:20:16 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #3489 on: January 26, 2013, 09:08:58 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 10:20:29 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #3490 on: January 27, 2013, 08:20:42 AM »

I want to see the Big TNT show. .

Great movie!

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3491 on: January 27, 2013, 10:34:42 AM »

Was Carl Wilson afraid of goats

Has anyone gotten to the bottom of this yet?
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3492 on: January 27, 2013, 12:20:24 PM »

How much did Brian record at RCA? I've noticed more and more that he always sneaks RCA in with Gold Star and Western and his other regular studios and has even misattributed sessions to RCA.

A related question, was "My Obsession" recorded at RCA by any chance? I can't help but get the feeling Brian lists RCA as one of 'his' studios in order to seem cooler.

that's a good question, maybe you should throw it into that 'IKTAA' thread !

pianoman
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #3493 on: January 27, 2013, 12:31:27 PM »

Backing tracks of several songs on "Between the Buttons" were recorded at RCA but it is not clear if "My Obsession" was one of them. On Wiki though it says that mixdown was conducted there: "During the mixdown of 'My Obsession', Brian Wilson of The Beach Boys was invited down to RCA Studios in Los Angeles, 'My Obsession' remains one of Brian Wilson's favourite Rolling Stones songs."

This might also help: http://www.timeisonourside.com/SOMyObsession.html. Great comprehensive site on the Stones.
dwtherealbb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3494 on: January 28, 2013, 03:46:09 PM »

cool video I found. Is this the first known sighting of Carl with a beard?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uehyh57k2_E
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3495 on: January 29, 2013, 09:30:03 AM »

Yeah, Wood and a couple of Wizzard are on there, playing the sax. There was an interview on The Record Producers about two years ago where Wood talked a little about being invited to record with them because Brian liked Forever (Wood's Spector/Beach Boys/doo-wop track). He said he sang some vocals around the same mic as Brian and Carl, as well, but he's not credited for vocals on It's OK, so either they were wiped, mis-credited, or he sang on something else that wasn't released.
Apparently, the recording session was quite a party, and after some good ol' nose candy, Wood starting pulling out instrument after instrument. He was going to play everything. Eventually, so the story goes, Brian stopped him and asked: "OK, so, which instrument do you actually play?"
Al Jardine: Pick Up Artist
Smiley Smile Associate

I am an asexual walrus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3496 on: January 29, 2013, 07:28:52 PM »

Any guitarists/bassists wanna tab out the bassline for With Me Tonight? I'm trying to get it across to my bassist friend over Facebook...

Which song: Inappropriate relationship with sister-in-law

Which song: Gonna straight up bang you with "the wood".

Which song: Weather conditions make me horny

Which song: Lack of proper shoes leads to potential blood poisoning and death.

Which song: Who needs church? Let's do it on the couch.

Dennis: "Holy sh*t, Al, you're finally showing signs of developing facial hair!!!"
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3497 on: January 30, 2013, 05:02:50 AM »

I presume you mean the fast version? The slow one doesn't really have a bassline, so to speak. It's really easy! I can't tab for sh*t, mind...

Chord- E
A---7----------------7--7-----------
E--------9---7---9---------9--7--9-  (x2)

Chord- A
A---0-------------0--0
E-------2--0--2---------2--0--2- (x2)

For the B (on, and on you go, dumbbedooda), just it's just a B on each beat.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3498 on: January 30, 2013, 06:29:51 AM »

Apparently Roy Wood is on It's OK. I had no idea, would love to know more about that session!

Yeah, Wood and a couple of Wizzard are on there, playing the sax. There was an interview on The Record Producers about two years ago where Wood talked a little about being invited to record with them because Brian liked Forever (Wood's Spector/Beach Boys/doo-wop track). He said he sang some vocals around the same mic as Brian and Carl, as well, but he's not credited for vocals on It's OK, so either they were wiped, mis-credited, or he sang on something else that wasn't released.

Roy plays drums, not sax - at least, that's what he told me when I asked, oh, 10, 20 years ago. Saxes are Nick Pentelow & Mike Burney. Recorded at the end of Wizzard's only (?) US tour, late October 1974. Same session produced the track for "Honeycomb".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
halblaineisgood
« Reply #3499 on: January 31, 2013, 01:54:52 AM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 10:14:34 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 137 138 139 [140] 141 142 143 144 145 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx