gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681067 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 20, 2024, 08:25:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 121 122 123 [124] 125 126 127 128 129 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1416866 times)
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3075 on: October 26, 2012, 09:14:03 PM »

I'm Broke is part of the Wilson-Paley sessions, even if it was written earlier -- the recording features Brian saying "play it Andy," before the harmonica solo.

As for GIOMH, I'd say the released track uses a basic backing -- guitar, drums, bass -- from the Imagination era. The harmonica is clearly a later Mertens overdub, and the vocals sound like the vocals on the rest of the '04 album -- rough.

Background vocals sound like they're from the Thomas sessions. Lead vocal ... yeah, definitely '04.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #3076 on: October 27, 2012, 08:41:15 AM »

Was it Brian or Carl who decided to put "Good Time" and "Ding Dang" on Love You? I understand Carl took it into his own hands to finish the album following Brian's less than stellar mix on November 16th, so I'm curious as to whether he pulled these two tracks up from the dead to cover up for a lack of material based on Brian's abandoning of the project.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3077 on: October 27, 2012, 08:54:55 AM »

Was it Brian or Carl who decided to put "Good Time" and "Ding Dang" on Love You? I understand Carl took it into his own hands to finish the album following Brian's less than stellar mix on November 16th, so I'm curious as to whether he pulled these two tracks up from the dead to cover up for a lack of material based on Brian's abandoning of the project.

Wait.. Ding Dang was recorded in '73? I always thought it was a re-record from '76.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3078 on: October 27, 2012, 09:08:43 AM »

Wait.. Ding Dang was recorded in '73? I always thought it was a re-record from '76.

I don't think they did. The only loosely "Ding Dang" related song I can think of that was recorded in '76 is "Clagin'", which I believe samples the "clanging" part from the dirty version of "Ding Dang", "Rolling Up to Heaven".

Another Love You related question. Were the tracks recorded from October/November that wound up on Love You always planned to be the final recordings or were they just recordings of Brian mapping out his arrangements? It wouldn't surprise me if it were the latter, but because of Brian losing interest (perhaps due to the firing of Landy causing a retreat?) and the pressure of fulfilling their contract with Warners, they had to ultimately use them for the record.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #3079 on: October 27, 2012, 10:34:17 AM »

Gettin' In Over My Head - released
You're Still A Mystery
Some Sweet Day - listed
In My Moondreams - released
A version of Proud Mary - not a Wilson/Paley song: from the Don Was era.
I'm Broke - Wilson/Usher.
Soul Searchin' - released

Touche as I was going off my Landylocked boot. Didn't know Moondreams was released, where? And I am getting myriad versions of Proud Mary mixed up. Who sings the second verse on the Landylocked version? Was? (I assumed it was Paley)

But the GIOMH on GIOMH is an Imagination era track and vocal, so the Landylocked version should be noted!

it is?

Moondreams is on a comp called Pulp Surfin

Yes -  a cursory listen to both versions will reveal they are totally different. I think a lot of people here prefer the Paley-era version. I like both for different reasons.
(Is the vocal on the GIOMH album actually from the Imagination sessions, or was it just the instrumental track?)
yeah, really, I was just questioning whether GIOMH was part of the Imagination era.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3080 on: October 27, 2012, 09:50:44 PM »

I don't think they did. The only loosely "Ding Dang" related song I can think of that was recorded in '76 is "Clagin'", which I believe samples the "clanging" part from the dirty version of "Ding Dang", "Rolling Up to Heaven".

That sh*t is confusing as hell, lol. It would be killer to hear a condensed mix of all the different versions on the box set.

So, is that a 1973 BW falsetto on Ding Dang? It's hard to tell if it's even him, but it sounds like it might be him doing the falling "oooh".
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3081 on: October 27, 2012, 11:43:32 PM »

That sh*t is confusing as hell, lol. It would be killer to hear a condensed mix of all the different versions on the box set.

So, is that a 1973 BW falsetto on Ding Dang? It's hard to tell if it's even him, but it sounds like it might be him doing the falling "oooh".

It's just a tad convoluted  Cheesy I'd wager it's Brian or perhaps Al.

Does the sessionography in the 40th Anniversary Pet Sounds edition have the personnel for "Summer Means New Love" listed?

"A/S/L"?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3082 on: October 28, 2012, 08:26:29 AM »

May I ask you, punkinhead, what BBs song (it's The BBs, right?) was on YouTube link that's in your signature? It's somehow deleted now. Thanks in advance.

It was their UNICEF performance that was found last year around Christmas from 1967, I think they did Barbara Ann and Oh Come All Ye Faithful. The part I said was really spiritual was their harmonies on the Christmas hymn, Dennis and Carl's faces during that performance just look awesome.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #3083 on: October 28, 2012, 01:13:46 PM »

Is there an official stereo mix of "Guess I'm Dumb" anywhere?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #3084 on: October 28, 2012, 01:17:25 PM »

it's already inside you. just listen and you can hear it.

No mas, por favor.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3085 on: October 28, 2012, 02:23:39 PM »

Official - no. There are a couple fan mixes available.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3086 on: October 28, 2012, 05:17:19 PM »

The session one on the Unsurpassed Masters is pretty awesome.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3087 on: October 29, 2012, 08:02:59 AM »

May I ask you, punkinhead, what BBs song (it's The BBs, right?) was on YouTube link that's in your signature? It's somehow deleted now. Thanks in advance.

It was their UNICEF performance that was found last year around Christmas from 1967, I think they did Barbara Ann and Oh Come All Ye Faithful. The part I said was really spiritual was their harmonies on the Christmas hymn, Dennis and Carl's faces during that performance just look awesome.
That sounds something! Shame it's taken away, I wish I'd seen it, esp. considering it was a Christmas song because I'm a big fan of Christmas( and New Year)-related music in general. Anyhow, thanks for the info, punkinhead!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgIscI9NL_Y

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3088 on: October 29, 2012, 09:00:13 AM »

When did Bruce take over singing lead on Wendy?  I could have sworn at the show I was at (PNC Arts Center in New Jersey), Brian was singing lead.

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3089 on: October 29, 2012, 09:17:09 AM »

When did Bruce take over singing lead on Wendy?  I could have sworn at the show I was at (PNC Arts Center in New Jersey), Brian was singing lead.

I can't recall seeing Brian do that at any point in the tour.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3090 on: October 29, 2012, 09:58:41 AM »

Why did Diane get a writing credit for "Had to Phone Ya" and why was it subsequently removed? I'm thinking perhaps she had a hand in the reworking for the Spring version done in 1977(?) and her credit lays in that version, which is why her name was removed from 15 Big Ones.

"A/S/L"?
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #3091 on: October 29, 2012, 01:09:24 PM »

Is Andrew Loog Oldham's ad where he compares Pet Sounds to Scheherazade reproduced anywhere? I can't remember ever seeing it.

OK scrub that. Just found this old thread that I contributed to (curse you memory). AGD says the ad never existed  Cry

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,9382.0.html
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 01:46:24 PM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3092 on: October 29, 2012, 02:35:38 PM »

I recently bought the "Capitol Years" Box set on vinyl last week, and I gotta say, I love FINALLY having BW productions on VINYL. Something I noticed while playing it the first time is that the Honeys' cut of Tonight you Belong to Me was how much the horns are turned up on the Pet Projects cd. I looked at the liner notes and it said it was made into Stereo for this release (along with Goodnight My Love), but not all the songs were made that way for the set. What was it in on the single? mono or stereo? Which one has it right?---Pet Projects or Capitol box set?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3093 on: October 29, 2012, 02:40:20 PM »

And since acquiring that box set....I was reading the liner notes booklet and saw a thanks to Andrew Doe. So my question is, Andrew, what was your position in getting a thanks for the box set? Just wondering.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

dwtherealbb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3094 on: October 29, 2012, 07:01:37 PM »

were they ashamed of the song "Luau" since it never got on any album or even compilation?
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #3095 on: October 29, 2012, 07:16:07 PM »

were they ashamed of the song "Luau" since it never got on any album or even compilation?

I recall someone talking about an 80s interview where the song came up. Mike and Brian were talking about it, Mike said he thought it was interesting, and then Carl said he thought it was sh*t.

Just came up on random for me about a half hour ago. I don't see what's to be so ashamed about, if any of them are, it's a B-side to their first single and not bad considering. s'cute. Certainly deserving of a mere two minute spot on the box set, at least.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #3096 on: October 30, 2012, 03:30:15 AM »

I recall someone talking about an 80s interview where the song came up. Mike and Brian were talking about it, Mike said he thought it was interesting, and then Carl said he thought it was sh*t.

Just came up on random for me about a half hour ago. I don't see what's to be so ashamed about, if any of them are, it's a B-side to their first single and not bad considering. s'cute. Certainly deserving of a mere two minute spot on the box set, at least.

1:45, no less - there's a lot we can fit in those extra 15 seconds!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3097 on: October 30, 2012, 07:16:21 AM »

everytime i listen to baker man i begin to subconsciously think of Murry.  ? is, did Brian actually parody his infamous father there?

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3098 on: October 30, 2012, 01:40:28 PM »

And since acquiring that box set....I was reading the liner notes booklet and saw a thanks to Andrew Doe. So my question is, Andrew, what was your position in getting a thanks for the box set? Just wondering.

I supplied a suggested track listing and compiled the UK track listings handed in by fans.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3099 on: October 30, 2012, 01:41:48 PM »

Why did Diane get a writing credit for "Had to Phone Ya" and why was it subsequently removed? I'm thinking perhaps she had a hand in the reworking for the Spring version done in 1977(?) and her credit lays in that version, which is why her name was removed from 15 Big Ones.

Spring version came first, late 1972/early 1973.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 121 122 123 [124] 125 126 127 128 129 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx