gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680714 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 11:56:28 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Bill M and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1405140 times)
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: February 04, 2011, 02:37:11 AM »

When Vegetables was declared to be the next single, how far did that go?
Was a sleeve made for it?
A b-side picked?
Particular version/mix?

Brian posed for at least one photo at the Farmer's Market in L.A. to "promote" it and that's probably as far as it went.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: February 04, 2011, 03:11:54 AM »

When Vegetables was declared to be the next single, how far did that go?
Was a sleeve made for it?
A b-side picked?
Particular version/mix?

Brian posed for at least one photo at the Farmer's Market in L.A. to "promote" it and that's probably as far as it went.

Alrighty, I know that picture...thanks

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: February 04, 2011, 03:25:34 AM »

There's a photo, I think it's a promo for the 20/20 album era, but not the actual cover with those particular clothes.

It's also on page 211 in the Keith Badman book, my question is: What is Al holding in this picture?

If you don't have the pic handy, its the one where Bruce is wearing a leather jacket (some refer to him as Beatle Bruce in this picture), Mike and Al both have hats on, Al's a cabby hat and Mike's, well, idk what you call it, it's a Mike hat. Carl looks a lot like Beck in this photo, with his neckerchief included. Dennis has a dark blue t-shirt on.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1078 on: February 04, 2011, 03:33:02 AM »

Looks like a police whistle to me. Why, I have no idea... but that's what it looks like.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: February 04, 2011, 03:36:29 AM »

Looks like a police whistle to me. Why, I have no idea... but that's what it looks like.

I was thinking a whistle, but I wasn't sure.
been wondering for years

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1080 on: February 04, 2011, 03:40:13 AM »

I was thinking a whistle, but I wasn't sure.
been wondering for years

The odd bit apparently sticking out of the side is his belt buckle. Otherwise I would have said a can opener.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: February 04, 2011, 05:32:59 AM »

About Van Dyke's Volvo: I e-mailed him and he said he is fairly sure it was a Volvo 123 GT (which by the way was a sportier version, with 115 hp!). He also mentioned that that car lasted for three years, after which he had a VW Bus, then a Rover sedan. These days he drives a Honda Hybrid.

Good work.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: February 04, 2011, 05:48:02 AM »

While looking again and again and again at LLVS, I remember see two sections that compare Smiley Smile to Pink Floyd's Piper at the Gates of Dawn.

Was this common back when they were both released?

Some often want to compare Smile to Sgt. Pepper, but I think Smiley being compared to Piper is one of the ultimate compliments!

Are there any other references/comparings of Pink Floyd to the Beach Boys by articles/literature/interviews/matter of opinion?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: February 04, 2011, 05:58:41 AM »

Back when they found that new intro/mix of Why Do Fools Fall in Love, didn't they find a bunch of material regarding the Shut Down Vol. 2 era? If they did, has all that material surfaced/released. I feel like it's just that version of WDFFIL & a stereo cut of Don't Worry Baby for the summer love songs collection.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: February 04, 2011, 06:50:12 AM »

Are the lyrics for Sherry She Needs Me from 1965 or 1976?

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: February 04, 2011, 07:21:08 AM »

BTW, how would we determine whether a question is significant enough to deserve its own thread?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: February 04, 2011, 07:24:35 AM »

I'm gonna take a stab and say 65.
My reasoning is that I believe Russ Titlemen wrote the song with Brian, along with Guess I'm Dumb
...but I could be totally wrong.

Odd how Brian could pull out lyrics from 10 plus years to use, must have been safely kept.

BTW, where's your quote/signature from Brian from?
I like it a whole lot.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: February 04, 2011, 07:28:21 AM »

Back when they found that new intro/mix of Why Do Fools Fall in Love, didn't they find a bunch of material regarding the Shut Down Vol. 2 era? If they did, has all that material surfaced/released. I feel like it's just that version of WDFFIL & a stereo cut of Don't Worry Baby for the summer love songs collection.

It had tracking sessions as well, apparently, although I don't know for which songs

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1088 on: February 04, 2011, 08:30:50 AM »

It had tracking sessions as well, apparently, although I don't know for which songs

I heard "Denny's Drums" as well. Pass.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: February 04, 2011, 08:44:31 AM »

Dang, i was hoping for a 20 minute version of Caciaus Love vs. Sonny Wilson.  Wink

Honestly, I'd love to hear some session work for the Warmth of the Sun tracking (very underrated and to my ears is underplayed) and some vocals only of Warmth would be nice too.
Heck, even Keep an Eye On Summer matieral would be enough for me, it's a guilty pleasure of mine.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: February 04, 2011, 09:23:06 AM »

Was the Honeys' song Come To Me written and/or produced by Murry?
Wait, was it a Honeys song or an American Spring song?
Was this around the sporadic time of Breakaway?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: February 04, 2011, 09:33:31 AM »

Tracking sessions and vocal overdubs for Why Do Fools Fall In Love, Don't Worry Baby, In The Parking Lot, Pom Pom Playgirl, also tracking sessions for This Car Of Mine and Denny's Drums. Three muti-track reels including outtakes and partial takes. The single track lead vocal version of DWB with Brian improvising with his voice on the extended ending or post fade is unbelievably cool.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: February 04, 2011, 09:52:01 AM »

Tracking sessions and vocal overdubs for Why Do Fools Fall In Love, Don't Worry Baby, In The Parking Lot, Pom Pom Playgirl, also tracking sessions for This Car Of Mine and Denny's Drums. Three muti-track reels including outtakes and partial takes. The single track lead vocal version of DWB with Brian improvising with his voice on the extended ending or post fade is unbelievably cool.
Any chance we could hear it in the near future?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1093 on: February 04, 2011, 10:00:47 AM »

Recorded 12/2/68, written, arranged & produced by Murry at Sunset.

Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: February 04, 2011, 10:26:21 AM »

Arranged by Rick Henn, I think.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: February 04, 2011, 10:28:50 AM »

OOOOOOOOOO

I smell a Duel

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1096 on: February 04, 2011, 11:07:09 AM »

OOOOOOOOOO

I smell a Duel

Rick refers to himself as "more or less the arranger".  Wink

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: February 04, 2011, 12:07:21 PM »

Any chance we could hear it in the near future?

Al will be making an announcement very shortly...

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: February 04, 2011, 12:17:49 PM »

My reasoning is that I believe Russ Titlemen wrote the song with Brian, along with Guess I'm Dumb

Odd how Brian could pull out lyrics from 10 plus years to use, must have been safely kept.

I like it a whole lot.
Good point regarding Titleman. But lines as "Sherry, don't hate her guts 'cause she took me away" sounds more like Adult Child/Love You era Brian to me.

Don't remember about the quote's origin other than it was from an article linked to from this board last fall.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: February 04, 2011, 09:55:08 PM »

I like it a whole lot.
Good point regarding Titleman. But lines as "Sherry, don't hate her guts 'cause she took me away" sounds more like Adult Child/Love You era Brian to me.

Don't remember about the quote's origin other than it was from an article linked to from this board last fall.
I agree, the "hate her guts" line is very non-subtle (a curious trait of Brian during this era).

~post of the century~
-Mikie

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx