gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:41:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
shadownoze, Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray, sloopjohnb72 and 43 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399218 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #950 on: December 07, 2010, 09:31:14 PM »

Anyone notice the excessive amount of covers recorded during the late 60s? (particularly the 20/20 album era?)
With I Can Hear Music, Cotton Fields, Bluebirds over the Mountain being on the album itself, and then we know Old Man River and Walk on By were recorded at the time...does this mean the guys were just hard up for material? I guess I could include their cover of Rock and Roll Woman (only performed in concerts I believe) and also okie from muskogee (I know, it's later than 69)...which really doesn't mean much unless they were to be recorded for an album, but I suspect not.

Regardless, it couldn't have been a better time to do a lot of covers, I love the production style of this era. Obviously, the next era of covers would be 15 Big Ones, which I'm not so crazy about that style and technique, to each his own I reckon.

I could go on to re-workings (not necessarily covers, but evidence of being "hard up for material") with evidence of the reworking of Been Way to Long (was anything added that is evident on the version we have available?) and then you have Al's looking to re-work Sail Plane Song (Loop De Loop) and Cotton Fields. And I guess I could include Carnival/Over the Waves and Raspberries, Strawberries for poops and giggles.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #951 on: December 08, 2010, 12:56:32 AM »

Anyone notice the excessive amount of covers recorded during the late 60s? (particularly the 20/20 album era?)
With I Can Hear Music, Cotton Fields, Bluebirds over the Mountain being on the album itself, and then we know Old Man River and Walk on By were recorded at the time...does this mean the guys were just hard up for material? I guess I could include their cover of Rock and Roll Woman (only performed in concerts I believe) and also okie from muskogee (I know, it's later than 69)...which really doesn't mean much unless they were to be recorded for an album, but I suspect not.

I always was under the impression that they recorded an awful lot in 1969, including original material. Maybe a bit less in 1968. A lot of these recordings ended up on the Sunflower and Surf's Up albums. And a lot was booted (Landlocked for example).
Remember this was in their final year with Capitol. Maybe they didn't want to give their brand-new compositions and recordings away to a company they were about to leave and who wasn't really into properly promoting them anymore.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #952 on: December 08, 2010, 09:16:08 AM »

I always was under the impression that they recorded an awful lot in 1969, including original material. Maybe a bit less in 1968. A lot of these recordings ended up on the Sunflower and Surf's Up albums. And a lot was booted (Landlocked for example).
Remember this was in their final year with Capitol. Maybe they didn't want to give their brand-new compositions and recordings away to a company they were about to leave and who wasn't really into properly promoting them anymore.

good call

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #953 on: December 08, 2010, 11:30:28 AM »

This is only applicable to us UK residents.

When you turn on the news and see coverage of the Student Fee riots of the past weeks, does anybody else get "Student Demonstration Time" instantly begin to play in their heads? I half expect to see Mike Love somewhere in the crowd singing into his megaphone!

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #954 on: December 08, 2010, 12:00:24 PM »

Check it out here - 1968 - and here - 1969

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #955 on: December 08, 2010, 03:41:45 PM »

When you turn on the news and see coverage of the Student Fee riots of the past weeks, does anybody else get "Student Demonstration Time" instantly begin to play in their heads? I half expect to see Mike Love somewhere in the crowd singing into his megaphone!

SDT was about students campaigning for free speech, the US invasion of Cambodia, the Vietnam War, not hiking the price of education. I've tried to see in link in the last few weeks but today's students don't seem to get as riled about international aggression as they do their own funding.

“We live in divisive times.”
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #956 on: December 08, 2010, 03:45:39 PM »

just reading about it, made it start playing in my head, and I tried to switch threads FAST, but to no avail. 
Thanxx oodles....

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #957 on: December 12, 2010, 04:45:04 PM »

How does Brian's song "Burlesque" get rejected from Surf's Up for more Al tunes? I like Al, but really?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #958 on: December 12, 2010, 04:53:06 PM »

How does Brian's song "Burlesque" get rejected from Surf's Up for more Al tunes? I like Al, but really?

Brian didn't care, and Al did.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #959 on: December 12, 2010, 05:14:39 PM »

Considering none of us knows what it actually sounds like, maybe it's not that big of a mystery.

DO wish it had been booted, though...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #960 on: December 12, 2010, 05:57:07 PM »

who's doing the backing vocals on Alone on Christmas Day?
there's a mysterious low/bass backing vox that sounds un-familiar

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Beekeeper
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #961 on: December 13, 2010, 08:06:45 AM »

Silly question but Ive always been curious.

Brian  6' 3"?
Mike   6' 1"?
Dennis was 5' 9"?
Carl was 5' 10"?
David while in the BB's   ??
Al Jardine 5' 4"??
Bruce Johnston 5' 9"?

BeeKeeper
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 09:04:02 AM by Beekeeper » Logged
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #962 on: December 13, 2010, 08:32:36 AM »

There's a thread for exactly these kinds of insignificant questions, you know...
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #963 on: December 13, 2010, 08:54:22 AM »

Well I am interested in the answer and I likely wouldn't have ever known about the question since the title of the "insignificant question" thread has never exactly pulled me in with curiosity to check out.
Beekeeper
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #964 on: December 13, 2010, 09:05:15 AM »

Would one of the moderators move this over to the insignificant thread??
Thanks
BeeKeeper
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #965 on: December 13, 2010, 09:21:58 AM »

Probably Dave Robinson.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #966 on: December 13, 2010, 10:29:42 AM »

Would one of the moderators move this over to the insignificant thread??
Thanks
BeeKeeper

you're wish is my command...

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #967 on: December 13, 2010, 10:59:58 AM »

Brian  6' 3"?
Mike   6' 1"?
Dennis was 5' 9"?
Carl was 5' 10"?
Al Jardine 5' 4"??
Bruce Johnston 5' 9"?

BeeKeeper

I think Al Jardine is short

Wink

~post of the century~
-Mikie

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #968 on: December 13, 2010, 11:18:01 AM »

Probably Dave Robinson.

Who is Dave Robinson?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #969 on: December 13, 2010, 11:22:53 AM »

Probably Dave Robinson.

Who is Dave Robinson?
One of the members of Celebration.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #970 on: December 13, 2010, 02:09:04 PM »

Brian  6' 3"?
Mike   6' 1"?
Dennis was 5' 9"?
Carl was 5' 10"?
Al Jardine 5' 4"??
Bruce Johnston 5' 9"?

BeeKeeper

You can probably get Bruce's (and maybe David's) height on the Beach Boys Britain message board. Bruce reads it regularly, and I think Carrie Marks does, too.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #971 on: December 13, 2010, 10:10:21 PM »

What tracks did Brian and Carl play drums on while Denny sang lead on something?

I know The Wanderer is a clear example of Brian playing.

Did Carl play when Dennis would sing You've Got To Hide Your Love Away? Or was there any percussion on that when it was performed live at all?
Also, I know Carl played on Never Learn Not to Love on the television performance.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #972 on: December 13, 2010, 10:15:46 PM »

I wasn't sure where to put this, so I'll place it here.

I am reading the liner notes to the 2006 compilation In Thee Midnite Hour!!! by Thee Midniters, who were a Chicano teen garage rock group from the mid-1960s. (I had never heard of them before getting a hold of the CD, and I've not yet listened to any of it.) The liners were written by Domenic Priore and he included a neat little tidbit relevant for us fine obsessives here that was at least new to me. I figured I'd share:

Quote from: Domenic Priore
["Whittier Blvd."] starts out with Willie G.'s rallying cry, "Let's take a trip down Whittier Boulevard!" followed by organist Ronny Figueroa shouting "Arriba arriba! Ha ha ha ha!", Dick Dale-styled lead guitar [and] pounding organ and driving horns[.]

[Thee Midniters] got tough again by forming their own label, Whittier Records, going independent, more than a year before the Beach Boys' Brother Records and the Beatles' Apple imprint. In fact, the Beach Boys paid tribute to Thee Midniters on their Lei'd in Hawaii live recordings in the summer of 1967. They opened with a tune called "Hawthorne Blvd.", filled with screaming and an intro with Brian Wilson calling out "Let's take a trip down Hawthorne Boulevard!"
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #973 on: December 14, 2010, 11:07:29 AM »

Figueroa? As in Bobby?
GLarson432
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #974 on: December 15, 2010, 05:41:36 PM »

Darlene Love's annual appearance on Letterman is TONIGHT.  It's almost always on either the 22nd or 23rd so this is a week early.  Wendesday night.  It's always at the close of the show.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx