gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680713 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 08:23:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Bill M and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1405098 times)
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #775 on: September 19, 2010, 11:39:34 PM »

Loo - a place where you take a sh*t
Lou - talented NY rock star who is, nevertheless, given to spouting a lot of sh*t
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #776 on: September 20, 2010, 12:11:48 AM »

Who is "kenny"? On the Hartford 1973 recording, several references to "kenny" were made. Al says something like "Kenny has been found, so you can stop looking".
Oh my god? They mentioned Kenny?

Those bastards.

^_^

Seriously, though, I honestly have no idea. It might be lost to time, much like the identity of "Amy".

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #777 on: September 20, 2010, 12:47:10 AM »

Who is "kenny"? On the Hartford 1973 recording, several references to "kenny" were made. Al says something like "Kenny has been found, so you can stop looking".
Can anybody answer this?

In-joke reference to Kenny & The Cadets?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #778 on: September 20, 2010, 01:26:52 AM »

Was  there any missing child case from the Hartford area at around that time? The way Al says it makes it seems like something was going on.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #779 on: September 20, 2010, 11:14:41 AM »

Could've been a kid who got lost at the concert, parents contacted reception/ticket sale/whatever, band announced it from stage, band got news from reception that Kenny got found.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #780 on: September 20, 2010, 11:17:04 AM »

Who here has heard Curt Boettcher's California Music album? How many binbags full of blow did it take to convince Brian Wilson to be involved with THAT?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #781 on: September 20, 2010, 12:50:59 PM »

Who here has heard Curt Boettcher's California Music album? How many binbags full of blow did it take to convince Brian Wilson to be involved with THAT?

He wasn't - the liner  notes/credits are totally misleading. The only connection he had with Becher's incarnation of California Music was was playing organ on "California Music", the B side of the "Jamaica Farewell" single.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #782 on: September 20, 2010, 01:29:40 PM »

I got the CD today. I was listening to the disco version of "I Can Hear Music" but kept hearing a thumping noise which I can only attribute to Carl Wilson turning over in his grave.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 01:46:37 PM by mikes beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #783 on: September 20, 2010, 02:02:12 PM »

Worth it just for "Brand New Old Friends".  Grin

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #784 on: September 20, 2010, 02:15:57 PM »

For those not in the know, "Brand New Old Friends" is the Bruce Johnston schmaltz x1000 what it was on "Disney Girls".

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #785 on: September 20, 2010, 02:46:33 PM »

Was this originally written with CATP in mind?
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #786 on: September 20, 2010, 02:52:24 PM »

Listening to "Brand New Old Friends" for the first time ever as I type. I've owned the California Music compilation album for quite some time but never made it to track 14 (go figure...). Very pleasant song!
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #787 on: September 20, 2010, 05:43:30 PM »

My vinyl copy plays fine.  But, for all the hype surrounding vinyl, it still has a number of potential issues, including warps, clicks and pops, and other surface noise.  Although most of today's vinyl is pressed on thick 180 gram vinyl, my experience has been that the pressing quality of most vinyl today is just mediocre, and overall is not up to the standards of the best high quality audiophile stuff available in the 70s and 80s.  This could be due to the fact that few vinyl pressing plants are still around, and from what I've heard, they are running at capacity.

I have returned some recent vinyl purchases due to these issues, but ya gotta remember that vinyl, by its very nature, is far more prone to flaws than CDs.  However, the larger graphics are totally cool compared to the much smaller graphics found on CDs.

Check your BWRG disc for warps by looking at the disc from the side as it plays.   Mistracking due to warps is most pronounced at the outer edges of the vinyl, which is what you are experiencing.  Another issue could be your stylus tracking force is set too low.  If you have a stylus pressure gauge, check your tracking force to see if it is within the specified range, assuming you have paperwork indicating what that is.  Otherwise, if no warps seems to be apparent, try setting it a little higher to see if that solves the problem.

How was the packaging from Amazon?  Their prices are good, but I have been very disappointed by their cheap vinyl LP packaging.  I have returned two vinyl albums to Amazon due to the covers getting beat up due their cheap packaging. Then again, I also returned my first copy of the BWRG CD I got from them, as it was shipped in a cheap bubble pack envelope, and and the plastic tray on the digipac was completely cracked from one end to the other.  They shipped the replacement in the same cheap packaging, but the second one arrived in fine condition.  This wouldn't have been an issue for me if BWRG was a jewel box CD, as I would have simply junked the cracked jewel box and placed the CD and inserts in a new jewel box.  But, that being said, I do have a distinct preference for digipacs as opposed to jewel boxes.

Thanks for the reply Custom Machine! Much appreciated. I don't mind extra sounds (as long as it's not extreme) on vinyl records. Like surface noise, some clicks and pops, especially on older records, it adds something to the album imo. They packed the item in a medium sized box, with bubble packets, probably what you described your CD was shipped in.
Is that the proper way to ship vinyl? I've received vinyl different ways from won auctions on eBay and purchases from other websites.
I didn't see anything wrong with the disc as far as warps or anything, though I don't know exactly what to look for. What would they look like exactly?
I tried applying different pressure but that didn't cease it from skipping-even used the anti-skate function. And what do you mean by setting it a little higher, the pressure gauge or the speed of the record playing? Sorry to hear you had a problem with your CD shipment, glad you were able to get it straightened out, unlike my vinyl situation here it seems.

The best way to ship a vinyl LP album is in a cardboard box just slightly larger than the LP itself, with extra cardboard pieces on all sides of the album, so as to protect the album and cover from any shipping damage.  You can add bubble wrap as well, for even better cushioning.  Or, an album can be covered on each side by a piece of cardboard somewhat larger than the album cover, with the corrugations in the two pieces going in perpendicular directions to each other, then taped tightly over the album and placed in a bubble wrap envelope.  When I've gotten vinyl LPs from Amazon, the albums have been loosely placed in a large cardboard box, so that they move around a lot in shipping, and thus sometimes arrive with bent and dinged covers as a result of the movement.  Acoustic Sounds charges more, but their stuff is superbly packed in the manner I first described here.

But, back to your copy of BWRG.  To see if your album is warped, look at it's edge, from the side, when it is playing.  When it's revolving, the edge should look flat or pretty darn close to flat.  If the vinyl raises up at the edge where your mistracking is occurring, then it's definitely being caused by a warp.  (For "set higher" I meant set the tracking force higher.  Good that you checked the anti-skating, as this could also result in problems.)  In any event, since your other albums play fine, I'd definitely return this one.  Amazon is very good on returns of defective albums, paying for the return shipping and sending out a replacement right away, without waiting for the receipt of your defective album.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 05:44:50 PM by Custom Machine » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #788 on: September 21, 2010, 01:12:07 AM »

Nope. You might be thinking "Ten Years Harmony" which was demoed during the CATP sessions

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #789 on: September 21, 2010, 07:26:45 AM »

Nope. You might be thinking "Ten Years Harmony" which was demoed during the CATP sessions

The BB's have endured many credibility knocks throughout the years but I don't think even they could had survived the shame of putting out "Brand New Old Friends".

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #790 on: September 21, 2010, 12:03:03 PM »

Ah, yeah... Mucho embarrassed, Andrew. 
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #791 on: September 21, 2010, 12:12:22 PM »

The BB's have endured many credibility knocks throughout the years but I don't think even they could had survived the shame of putting out "Brand New Old Friends".

A cover of 'Mull Of Kintyre' would have started WW III.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #792 on: September 21, 2010, 02:45:46 PM »

Well, they did, kind of... with Little Richard... and it was worse than BNOF: Happy Endings.
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #793 on: September 22, 2010, 11:39:41 PM »

This is my alternate universe album discography thus far.  I share it for your derision, support or comment.   Still no album art, but working on it.  And though my friend is no longer my friend (she never got my BB's thing anyway I guess)  I'm  still gonna make these up for my own enjoyment.

http://luap-esrever.xanga.com/732834979/alternate-bbs-discography/
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #794 on: September 23, 2010, 06:53:44 PM »

Well, they did, kind of... with Little Richard... and it was worse than BNOF: Happy Endings.

That song was used in the Whoopi Goldberg film "The Telephone"......as the credits rolled at the end of a very unhappy ending of a movie as strange as the song itself..........my favorite part of the record is when Bruce Johnson handed  me a promo copy before a concert ....good BB harmony....very schmaltzy Little Richard vocal.  The record was new but they did not perform the song that night.......I wonder which BB might have handled that Lil Richard part? Razz
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #795 on: September 23, 2010, 07:30:06 PM »

This is my alternate universe album discography thus far.  I share it for your derision, support or comment.   Still no album art, but working on it.  And though my friend is no longer my friend (she never got my BB's thing anyway I guess)  I'm  still gonna make these up for my own enjoyment.

http://luap-esrever.xanga.com/732834979/alternate-bbs-discography/

I like your ideas. I've always been a fan of alternate albums and fan edits. If you need any help on ideas, let me know, I love the different concepts. the Be True to Your School one is really good!
I see where Party/Christmas album/Today! don't have tracks, are you leaving them alone? I think there's enough tracks (released and unreleased) for Party to have it be a double LP. Obviously Today would need Guess I'm Dumb. It'd also be cool to see a couple added from his Pet Projects like say: I Do, After the Game, or She Rides with Me.
And maybe later in the 70s incorporate some American Spring songs like Sweet Mountain or Jan and Brian's Don't Ya Just Know It.
I posted a proposed 1975 album a while ago that used the unreleased recordings from 73-74 and alternate Concert tracks that were to be on the single In Concert album, you should check it out.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #796 on: September 23, 2010, 07:33:50 PM »

What does Carl say after "A celebration of being together" in Good Timin'?

gsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #797 on: September 24, 2010, 12:27:24 PM »

I always heard it as "I love...good good timin'"  Sounds like an ad lib that just stuck.  Can't imagine the song without it now.

Quote from: So cold I go burr
There are people who have taken LSD thousands of times and are as sane as Jeff Foskett. Well, that's a bad example, because Jeff hates Love You and that's INSANE.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #798 on: September 24, 2010, 08:30:32 PM »

I always heard it as "I love...good good timin'"  Sounds like an ad lib that just stuck.  Can't imagine the song without it now.

On the original 1974 track with just Carl's lead, he sings, "I love you..." so it must have remained, post-embellishments, for the L.A. (Light Album).

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #799 on: September 24, 2010, 08:53:30 PM »

Thanks for the help, gsmile and metal flake paint.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx