gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:13:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Aomdiddlywalla and 48 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399768 times)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #675 on: September 04, 2010, 02:41:18 AM »

How come Sea Of Tunes Unsurpassed Masters series of boots finish in 69 with 20/20? Is there a screamingly obvious answer to this that I am overlooking?

Many thanks

Allegedly, it was because the 'leggers didn't have access to a 16-track machine, hence they could only 'liberate' material that was on 2-, 3-, 4- and 8-track multis. Seems entirely logical to me, but then the words 'logical" and "Beach Boys" have never been happy bedfellows...

Some early Sunflower songs were initially recorded on an 8-track, but they were all transferred to 16-track in October 1969 (see the upcoming edition of ESQ, which is a Sunflower 40th anniversary special, with previously unseen photos from the sessions at Brian's house (many thanks to David Dalton)).

Thanks for this AGD. I've never seen a copy of ESQ, but a Sunflower edition sounds too good to miss so will look into this.

Yes there is...that's the end of the Capitol Records phase of Beach Boys recorded history.

Didn't occur to me! Thanks Jon.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 03:45:21 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #676 on: September 04, 2010, 09:39:14 AM »

Does anyone know if the Canadian pressing of SMiLE is the same as the US?  

i ordered the vinyl and can't help but notice the "Special Import" distributed by Warner Music Canada sticker on the outer plastic.  

bought it off a third party seller on amazon.com.  I remember hearing that UK pressings tend to not be as good, so i'm just curious.  and wanna make sure i got the good one before opening.  The back of the album still says Manufactured in Burbank, CA.  

the fact that it says "Special Import" possibly makes me think it's an import from the US to Canada that the seller ended up with??
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 09:47:14 AM by Runaways » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #677 on: September 04, 2010, 09:57:18 AM »

Brian have write the music

And the truth shall be revealed! AGD isn't really British. No, he's actually Japanese, and English is his second language! That why he sometimes (as above) reads like those God-awful lyrics translations you find in Japanese issues of BB albums.

Sorry! I couldn't resist!  Grin

Andrew, he write tanslationings very good. He top colony man. No diss.

“We live in divisive times.”
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #678 on: September 05, 2010, 08:28:31 PM »

Was Bruce born in 1942 or 1944?  Several sources have different dates.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #679 on: September 06, 2010, 12:17:52 AM »

1942 - my source is impeccable.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #680 on: September 06, 2010, 12:22:40 AM »

Well, George Harrison himself did not know the exact date of his birth until he was well in his 40's. I'm just sayin'.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #681 on: September 06, 2010, 01:35:33 AM »

Well, George Harrison himself did not know the exact date of his birth until he was well in his 40's. I'm just sayin'.  Grin

Bruce seemed pretty sure.  Smiley

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #682 on: September 06, 2010, 02:30:21 AM »

Bruce seemed pretty sure.  Smiley

Ah, that explains why the Mike & Bruce Beach Boys didn't play mainland UK this summer – free bus travel for the over-60s is being abolished.

“We live in divisive times.”
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #683 on: September 07, 2010, 08:50:25 AM »

who wrote what for "all i wanna do"?  is the melody from brian or mike pretty much.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #684 on: September 07, 2010, 12:28:42 PM »

here's just a general thought, but i wouldn't mind the original version of Big Sur getting a remix/master and put on the supposed upcoming compilation album.  great tune.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #685 on: September 07, 2010, 06:13:48 PM »

here's just a general thought, but i wouldn't mind the original version of Big Sur getting a remix/master and put on the supposed upcoming compilation album.  great tune.

i agree

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #686 on: September 10, 2010, 09:35:53 AM »

Did Carl just STOP writing completely after 72 until 78ish? Dennis obviously didn't, but there seems to be no Carl tunes until he starts contributing boring pap for L.A/M.I.U era. Did Rieley staying in Holland put him off? Was he better at hiding his sessions from bootleggers? Did drink and drugs screw up his creativity?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #687 on: September 10, 2010, 10:20:43 AM »

Brian and Carl worked on Good Timin' in 74

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #688 on: September 10, 2010, 11:38:57 AM »

Don't forget he also co-wrote River Song and Rainbows.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #689 on: September 10, 2010, 11:58:30 AM »

Did Carl just STOP writing completely after 72 until 78ish? Dennis obviously didn't, but there seems to be no Carl tunes until he starts contributing boring pap for L.A/M.I.U era. Did Rieley staying in Holland put him off? Was he better at hiding his sessions from bootleggers? Did drink and drugs screw up his creativity?

"Angel Come Home" dates back to about 1976, but offhand, that's about the only title I know of that hails from the 72-78 period. Of course, 1976-78 wasn't the best period of his life...

kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #690 on: September 10, 2010, 12:58:52 PM »

What can people tell me about this version of Caroline No? The vocal is a bit over the top at points but overall I quite like this take.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_kYVBr-3Ac

Is it Hutton like some of the comments imply and if so, what's the story behind it?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #691 on: September 10, 2010, 01:15:40 PM »

What can people tell me about this version of Caroline No? The vocal is a bit over the top at points but overall I quite like this take.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_kYVBr-3Ac

Is it Hutton like some of the comments imply and if so, what's the story behind it?

Sounds like Danny.

BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #692 on: September 10, 2010, 02:53:35 PM »

"Angel Come Home" dates back to about 1976, but offhand, that's about the only title I know of that hails from the 72-78 period. Of course, 1976-78 wasn't the best period of his life...

Does this mean Angel Come Home was a contender for the "originals" disc of the double album version of what became 15 big ones?  Yet another tune to add to my alt. reality 15 big ones play list!!  (Man that could have been a good record!) 

Also, I seem to recall that in a number of interviews/press from the 15 big ones and just prior period, it is mentioned that Carl is "working on new material" or something along those lines.  I feel like Dennis mentions at some point that both he and carl have a bunch of songs, but that they're sort of holding back and trying to let brian take the reins.  I could be remembering wrong, of course, but I've always wondered what exactly Carl was working on during that period, and how it would have sounded....sadly perhaps, not all song writers commit every idea they have to tape the way Dennis and Brian sometimes seemed to...it's totally possible that Carl wrote songs, kept them in the back of his head for a while, never demoed them, and then eventually forgot how they went.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #693 on: September 10, 2010, 04:39:38 PM »

Carl wrote "Everybody Knows My Name" is the period mentioned.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #694 on: September 10, 2010, 04:47:09 PM »

Certainly with two early '80s solo albums, it's possible that some of those 19 songs had their origins in this period. Though there were also a lot of shows in those years, and so as a bandleader, he had plenty to do. Maybe he just wasn't writing much.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #695 on: September 10, 2010, 06:17:32 PM »

I sorta had all that in the back of my mind. Carl's addictions, disillusionment over the whole Endless Summer thing, responsibility as a bandleader and his crumbling marriage probably didn't leave a lot of time or inclination to sit down with his guitar.
I don't get it - his songwriting (and by that I don't mean co-writes - i don't think Carl came to Brian with the idea for 'Our Sweet Love', for example) just seems to have been so brief. Maybe he didn't think he was good, but the songs are kind of evidence to the contrary!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #696 on: September 10, 2010, 09:07:00 PM »

IMHO
Carl really wasn't much of a songwriter...
his best stuff was done with Jack Reiley(sp) and I wonder if this was a case of Carl putting music to Jacks words rather then Jack putting words to Carl's music.
I personally think that Jack doesn't get enough credit for what the two of them did together... and nothing that Carl wrote after Jack left seem to have
much substance... beautiful voice yes, but the songs??
 Azn

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #697 on: September 10, 2010, 09:33:14 PM »

yeah, carl didn't write anything memorable for me. 
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #698 on: September 10, 2010, 09:40:14 PM »

Ya know, one of my first ever posts years ago was a thread i started called  " carl, not that great" and i was basically pointing this stuff out and really got poo-pooed (plus i'm not the biggest fan of his voice and would rather hear mike, denny or bri on any song carl sang, including GOK !!). good to see others are with me on the songwriting thing.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #699 on: September 10, 2010, 10:37:19 PM »

i love carl's quiet voice.  wild honey...?? ehhhhhh
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx