gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:35:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Aomdiddlywalla and 58 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399692 times)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #625 on: August 26, 2010, 10:39:11 AM »

The Japanese Pastmasters series has a few duophonic tracks. For instance, the Pastmasters "All Summer Long" CD is in stereo, except for "I Get Around" & "All Summer Long" which are duophonic. I can't remember if 'Our Favorite Recording Sessions" is mono or duophonic, though.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #626 on: August 26, 2010, 10:41:45 AM »

Oh, sh*t, "I Get Around" and "All Summer Long" are Duophonic too? I don't have them with me right now to listen -- and I mostly listen to the singles box set versions anyway, as is most sensible -- but that is still disappointing if it's true. At least from Today! onwards they seemed to get it right as I think everything up to Friends (duh) is proper Brian-mix mono!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #627 on: August 26, 2010, 10:43:07 AM »

Aren't the twofers of those early records in Britz-stereo? I hate Britz stereo... I find it really hard to listen to them, which is a shame as the only time i'll be able to hear them in mono is when i chance upon a dusty vinyl copy somewhere.

Wouldn't the recent mono boom (First the beatles, now Dylan) be ample cause to re-release Brian's mono mixes of these records? Please??

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #628 on: August 26, 2010, 10:46:39 AM »

The Pastmasters series are like the original albums were. Capitol sent the tape reels of the original albums. SD, vol.2 and  ASL orignally had some non-stereo tracks.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 10:47:38 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #629 on: August 26, 2010, 10:51:48 AM »

When Summer Days was sent, Capitol sent the 10 track mono re-issue over. Later after the error, they sent the duophonic versions of Amusement Parks USA and IBAMOM. Once in Japan, they folded down the duophonics to mono, and that is why those two tracks sound so terrible.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 10:53:39 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #630 on: August 26, 2010, 12:45:16 PM »

Just discussing Christmassey on another board. Did Jim Webb have a hand in writing this? If so, just lyrics, or lyrics and music?

Many thanks for any info.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #631 on: August 26, 2010, 01:10:45 PM »

Just discussing Christmassey on another board. Did Jim Webb have a hand in writing this? If so, just lyrics, or lyrics and music?

Both the 'new' tunes, the lyricist in question was sent a tape with the melody, added the lyric.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #632 on: August 26, 2010, 01:25:45 PM »

Both the 'new' tunes, the lyricist in question was sent a tape with the melody, added the lyric.

Many thanks - much appreciated.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #633 on: August 26, 2010, 02:13:13 PM »

Oh, merda, "I Get Around" and "All Summer Long" are Duophonic too? I don't have them with me right now to listen -- and I mostly listen to the singles box set versions anyway, as is most sensible -- but that is still disappointing if it's true. At least from Today! onwards they seemed to get it right as I think everything up to Friends (duh) is proper Brian-mix mono!
The Pastmasters Series were all Mono from Today through Wild Honey. Like they did in the US, Surfin' USA through All Summer Long were done using the stereo masters; hence the duophonic tracks where no stereo was available. The Pastmasters series was done 4 years before (1987-1988) the US CD's came out. By the time of the US releases, the mono tracks had replaced the duophonic ones.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #634 on: August 26, 2010, 02:17:46 PM »

I may be incorrect saying this, but I believe that "Do It Again" on the "Friends-20/20" 2-fer is the only fake stereo track on any USA released CD.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #635 on: August 28, 2010, 09:57:09 PM »

What songs on the GV boxed set were brand new to fans? basically, what songs that were "previously unreleased" on the set were actually never booted?

Same goes for the Endless Harmony soundtrack and Hawthorne CA?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #636 on: August 29, 2010, 12:36:39 AM »

What songs on the GV boxed set were brand new to fans? basically, what songs that were "previously unreleased" on the set were actually never booted?

This is top of the head stuff, and always bear in mind that there are varying degrees of circulation of 'archive' recordings, hence what is new to A might be old news to B. That said (and not including sessions or stero/acapella/track remixes)...

Box set:
"Surfin' USA" demo
"Little Surfer Girl"
"Punchline"
"Things We Did Last Summer"
"4th Of July"
"In My Room" demo

Endless Harmony:
"Soulful Old Man Sunshine" (both versions)
"Heroes And Villains" live
"Do It Again" demo
"Sail Plane Song"

Hawthorne CA:
"Little Deuce Coupe" demo
"A Time To Live In Dreams"
"Lonely Days"

As ever, corrections please.

summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #637 on: August 29, 2010, 12:17:45 PM »

Who sings lead on Help Me Rhonda at the Carnegie Hall show?

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #638 on: August 29, 2010, 12:42:14 PM »

I think it's Carl Wilson.

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #639 on: August 29, 2010, 09:10:27 PM »

This is top of the head stuff, and always bear in mind that there are varying degrees of circulation of 'archive' recordings, hence what is new to A might be old news to B. That said (and not including sessions or stero/acapella/track remixes)...

Box set:
"Surfin' USA" demo
"Little Surfer Girl"
"Punchline"
"4th Of July"
"In My Room" demo

Endless Harmony:
"Do It Again" demo
"Sail Plane Song"

Hawthorne CA:
"Lonely Days"

One question I have is, the Surfin' USA demo on the GV boxed, just Brian on piano was unreleased, so what about the Surfin' USA demo on Hawthorne CA, that includes drums; is this the same recording with just drums added or a different take?

I'd also like to ask if any of the bonus tracks on the twofers were unbooted? What about the Beach Boys Rarities that came out in the early 80s? (the one with the girl on the cover that contains those ridiculous BB Hits/Ballad Medleys)
What about the BW88 reissued bonus tracks?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 10:23:59 PM by punkinhead » Logged

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #640 on: August 29, 2010, 09:52:53 PM »

It's Dennis.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #641 on: August 29, 2010, 11:06:52 PM »

It's Dennis.

That was my first thought but I wasn't sure why he would take lead. Give him something to do since he couldn't drum?

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #642 on: August 29, 2010, 11:12:27 PM »

He sang lead on the song regularly during that time. I think from 1971 to 1974.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #643 on: August 30, 2010, 08:56:40 AM »

I think there's a fair amount of rotation between Al, Carl, & Dennis during that period.  My guess would be that Dennis probably has the most leads.  Why?  He's said in interviews that he just loved to sing it.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #644 on: August 30, 2010, 09:01:33 AM »

This makes HMR the BB song that has had most different BB lead vocalists, right? Al (original), Carl and Dennis during this time, Al and Mike on Knebworth and Brian nowadays.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #645 on: August 30, 2010, 11:56:06 AM »

Box set:
"Surfin' USA" demo
"Little Surfer Girl"
"Punchline"
"4th Of July"
"In My Room" demo

Endless Harmony:
"Do It Again" demo
"Sail Plane Song"

Hawthorne CA:
"Lonely Days"

One question I have is, the Surfin' USA demo on the GV boxed, just Brian on piano was unreleased, so what about the Surfin' USA demo on Hawthorne CA, that includes drums; is this the same recording with just drums added or a different take?

I'd also like to ask if any of the bonus tracks on the twofers were unbooted? What about the Beach Boys Rarities that came out in the early 80s? (the one with the girl on the cover that contains those ridiculous BB Hits/Ballad Medleys)
What about the BW88 reissued bonus tracks?

Besides the singles that already came out

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #646 on: August 31, 2010, 07:56:41 AM »

Is anybody else a little disturbed to see that the new Jonas Brothers album cover is all but ripping off the classic Beach Boys walking with the surfboard pose?  What will their next album cover be, The Jonas Brothers frollicking around at the local petting zoo? Anywho, the only people who like these dorks are 9 year old little girls and Bruce Johnston!

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #647 on: August 31, 2010, 08:17:03 AM »

Y
Is anybody else a little disturbed to see that the new Jonas Brothers album cover is all but ripping off the classic Beach Boys walking with the surfboard pose?  What will their next album cover be, The Jonas Brothers friggin' around at the local petting zoo? Anywho, the only people who like these dorks are 9 year old little girls and Bruce Johnston!

Yeah...kinda looks like the Abbey Road cover too....

Seriously? You bothered?

“We live in divisive times.”
Domino
Smiley Smile Associate

Hypnotize me, Van Dyke

View Profile
« Reply #648 on: August 31, 2010, 09:35:37 AM »

Which year is this intrumental version of My Solution from? Is it just Brian? It's great!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUchTaG9lzI&feature=related
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 09:36:33 AM by Domino » Logged

Brian on why he loves God Only Knows: "Because Paul McCartney said it was his favourite song"

"New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin." - runnersdialzero
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #649 on: August 31, 2010, 09:47:55 AM »

Which year is this intrumental version of My Solution from? Is it just Brian? It's great!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUchTaG9lzI&feature=related

Roughly 1980.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx