gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:49:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Aomdiddlywalla and 47 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399782 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: July 21, 2010, 11:48:44 AM »

My favorite were the responses by Melinda that were later taken down ... I recall they predicted stuff that later came to pass, but they were supposedly hacked.

Oh really? Like what?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: July 21, 2010, 03:57:12 PM »

Because bootlegs, like it or not, are traditionally produced through theft of intellectual property. They are stolen material, published to make money for people who aren't the creators.

It's pretty simple. (I'm not saying there aren't amazing things to listen to, just that the morality behind them is dubious, and as someone who makes a living from recorded music, Brian -- or the people responding for him -- have a pretty clear-cut case in refusing to grant them their imprimatur.) This is the classic bootleg model I'm talking about here -- file swapping has changed both the morality of the equation and the material available.
here's a website that I often refer folks to who are conflicted about so-called intellectual copyrights.
Enjoy!http://www.againstmonopoly.org/index.php

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: July 21, 2010, 04:33:45 PM »

I've no interest in debating the way the world should be, which is what the website you mentioned spends a lot of time on. I'm talking about the way it is, and what the law is now.

The question was why Brian Wilson doesn't want to discuss boots on his board. The answer, as I said, is that under current applicable law (not the law we wish we had), commercially produced and sold bootlegs are a form of theft of what he has created and has the right to sell -- or not -- if he chooses.

Now, one may argue that the wrong done to Brian Wilson through purchasing such an item is outweighed by the good of having such music heard by a wider audience. Which may be true. But that does not change the underlying issue for Brian and his org.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 04:46:18 PM by Wirestone » Logged
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: July 21, 2010, 08:24:12 PM »

I've no interest in debating the way the world should be, which is what the website you mentioned spends a lot of time on.
Well, IF anyone is interested they may like that site and he/she might gain new perspective on the issue as it applies to them (as an artist or a consumer), which is kinda relevant.
So, is it Bootlegs themselves that BW doesn't like to talk about, or is it anything to do with his unreleased back catalog?
Like, if you mention Sherry She Needs Me to him, would he flip or what? Just curious.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: July 21, 2010, 09:56:09 PM »

Was Brian ever invited to Bohemian Grove?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohemian_grove

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #480 on: July 21, 2010, 11:32:38 PM »

The question was why Brian Wilson doesn't want to discuss boots on his board. The answer, as I said, is that under current applicable law (not the law we wish we had), commercially produced and sold bootlegs are a form of theft of what he has created and has the right to sell -- or not -- if he chooses.

That was one reason stated - another was that he didn't like people listening to material he didn't think was worth releasing, or incomplete.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #481 on: July 22, 2010, 01:24:44 AM »

Still, I wonder how he reacted when he first found out his bandmates had bootlegs.

Here's the funny thing...not talking about legality or nothing, but there's a good segment of fans who became fans primarily off of what they heard off of bootlegs, and not just talking about Smile either.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #482 on: July 22, 2010, 02:30:18 AM »

Someone needs to remind Brian & his people: no boots, no BWPS.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: July 22, 2010, 05:14:13 AM »

Still, I wonder how he reacted when he first found out his bandmates had bootlegs.

Here's the funny thing...not talking about legality or nothing, but there's a good segment of fans who became fans primarily off of what they heard off of bootlegs, and not just talking about Smile either.

Really? what other material?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: July 22, 2010, 05:21:19 AM »

Someone needs to remind Brian & his people: no boots, no BWPS.
And given what came before BWPS, no current star in ascendance either...

“We live in divisive times.”
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: July 22, 2010, 07:01:10 AM »

That was one reason stated - another was that he didn't like people listening to material he didn't think was worth releasing, or incomplete.

I forget things like this, and how Brian probably takes them very seriously as he seems to be quite the perfectionist -- this is the guy, after all, who left "Let Him Run Wild" off the GV box set because he didn't like his leads!

I want to go to another concert of his and try to get him to play "Rollin' Up to Heaven" LOL
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: July 22, 2010, 07:26:48 AM »

I want to go to another concert of his and try to get him to play "Rollin' Up to Heaven" LOL

Aye, because Brian's concerts are full of loose jams and improvisations like that... by and large they just play whatever comes to them on a whim, or by request.

“We live in divisive times.”
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: July 24, 2010, 07:09:18 PM »

What's the deal with the "Fig Plucker" and "Oh Yeah!" session excerpts (?) from the Goodbye Surfing, Hello God! Vigotone box set?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: July 24, 2010, 07:15:45 PM »

Actually, I'd argue the stuff released from Smile on BB records and the boxed set was enough to build the legend. The people most into the boots were some of those most likely to have been disappointed by BWPS.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: July 24, 2010, 07:28:02 PM »

Well, the GV box set was what did it for me. I remember the day, about 12 or years ago, when I first heard the "hum be dum" part in the Good Vibrations session track. Man...talk about a revelationGrin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Paulos
« Reply #490 on: July 25, 2010, 06:38:29 AM »

New question: Whilst skimming through the latest ESQ I saw that Cool Head, Warm Heart and Love Like In Fairytales are noted as being 'from the forthcoming album: Mike Love, Not War'. So, is Mike actually planning to release MLNW at last? Will he do an Al and offer it via i-tunes? Will anyone care?
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: July 25, 2010, 10:11:57 AM »

Another cutesy question:

I was listening to one of the SOT tapes for the Today! sessions and I was reminded that Mike Love had attempted to sing lead on "Please Let Me Wonder" complete with alternate lyrics! As I recall, Peter Ames Carlin (in Catch a Wave) suggested that the song was about Brian's worry that Marilyn was cheating on him. This surprised me because the lyrics in the released version did not seem to denote that so obviously. The alternate (original?) lyrics, however, I think do present such a picture:
Now here we are together
This would've been worth waiting forever
I always knew I'd feel this way

And please forgive my shaking
Can't you tell my heart is breaking
I'm so afraid of what you'll say

(Baby) Please let me wonder
(If I've been the one you love)
Please let me wonder
(If I'm who you're dreaming of)
Please let me wonder

I know this may be the wrong time
I've loved you such a long time
And just loving you won't make you stay

And somehow the truth doesn't matter
When I know my dreams could be shattered
So please don't say what you want to say

(Baby) Please let me wonder
(If I've been the one you love)
Please let me wnder
(If I'm who you're dreaming of)
Please let me wonder, love

Can anyone offer insights as to why the lyrics might have been changed? Unless, of course, it was purely a musical decision... though I can't help but feel the less-direct lyrics from the released version (and the change of perspective from what he thinks she is feeling to what he feels for her) is more an emotional decision than merely a musical one. Thoughts? Amateur psychologising? Ridicule?
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: July 25, 2010, 06:06:53 PM »

For one thing, the original lyrics don't fit well with the melody and beat of the song. There is either one word missing, or one word to many.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: July 25, 2010, 06:30:51 PM »

For one thing, the original lyrics don't fit well with the melody and beat of the song. There is either one word missing, or one word to many.
You can change the rhythm of the words to accommodate that. Extend a syllable, split a note into two, etc. It's not too much or too little, it's just not what you're used to.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: July 25, 2010, 07:02:23 PM »

You can change the rhythm of the words to accommodate that. Extend a syllable, split a note into two, etc. It's not too much or too little, it's just not what you're used to.

Yeah I don't imagine that would be much of a problem...maybe they just decided to go in a slightly different direction, and make the song more romantic sounding rather than a song about a cheating lover.  The original lyrics are (to me, anyways) markedly more depressing and negative than those in the final version.  Perhaps Brian figured that he already had "In The Back of My Mind" as the big "downer" on the record, so he didn't want another song with such negative lyrics. 
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: July 27, 2010, 10:17:23 AM »

I have a question. I was speaking to a friend at work today who plays in a band. He told me that he did a gig at a wedding reception on the weekend and that when the food was served they were using old records as placemats for the plates! His just happend to be a vinyl called "The Best of The Beach Boys". He ahem borrowed the record and took it home after the gig. Now bear in mind he is not a big BB fan (despite being a MASSIVE fan of '60's music) he told me he only recognised one or two tracks on it. Here's the interesting part - he claims it has a longer slower version of Good Vibrations on it. From his description it sounds like the version from the twofer Smiley Smile/ Wild Honey CD, but it's on an old crackly vinyl called "Best of the Beach Boys"Huh  It doesn't have a cover so I have asked him to write down a tracklisting and any pressing serial details it may have to help solve the mystery. Does anyone have any idea just what this record could be?  Just a boot?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 10:57:53 AM by mikes beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: July 27, 2010, 10:55:43 AM »

I believe Jeff is an evangelical Christian

Jeff as in Foskett, is a fundie(-mentalist)?  Shocked Shocked Shocked

Nevertheless, he's a great singer and musician.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 11:39:10 AM by Alex » Logged

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: July 27, 2010, 01:56:10 PM »

I have a question about all the songs that were recorded at one time and then released one by one on later albums (mostly the Sunflower outtakes  Roll Eyes) but also including uncut songs.

BEWARE, a lot of question ahead, some might just be real easy....but to answer those, it'll make you feel good to deliver your Beach Boys knowledge to another fan.

Before they released them on a legit album, did they redo or overdub anything else?

Like I've heard the early cut of Take a Load off Your Feet and it sounds slightly different than the released one on Surf's Up, what was added?

Now Susie Cincinnati is a different story as it was released in many different forms, but I feel the 15 Big Ones cut is inferior.

Now on Good Time, is there a synthesizer added to this song to make it fit in on the Love You album? I don't know, I could be totally wrong...I know vocals weren't added, but I wonder if Brian considered adding vocals.

On Come Go With Me, the whole track was entirely recut for the MIU album, right? the first cut was a Brian production, then the MIU album/single is an Al Jardine approach? But I feel the same does not apply to Peggy Sue, listening to Christmas Time is Here again, it sounds like they just took the sleigh bells off the track; kind of similar to Melekalikimaka and Kona Coast, though I'm just guessing...obviously different vocals. But I will admit, the track to Bells of Christmas/Paris sounds exactly alike. Also, I've read where My Diane dates back to 15 Big Ones, and I've heard an early cut of it, but what was does to the version to release it for MIU?

I've also heard an early version of Lady Lynda (MIU era?), did Al totally recut the song for LA?

and the same story for Santa Ana Winds on KTSA? totally recut?  Speaking of KTSA, was anything different about When Girls Get Together? I feel as though I've read where Brian's vocal is turned down on the album. And if Dennis plays drums for Endless Harmony, when was it recorded? was it the original track to 10 Years of Harmony?

And speaking of 10 Years of Harmony (the GH album), was anything done to Sea Cruise or was it just taken from 15 Big Ones era, nothing added?

Also, what did Al do to Loop De Loop to release the final/perfect cut on Endless Harmony?
Were any of the previously unreleased tunes on the Good Vibrations boxed Set or Endless Harmony worked on at all?

How many vocals were added onto Our Prayer for 20/20?

and why does the track to Sherri She Needs me (Brian's vocal from 76) sound so different from the Sandy track?

If Child of Winter was fixed to be on the Christmas album from the 70s, was anything added to the song from the single?

Also, the only version of Lady Liberty I have is on 45, so I can't exactly play it at the moment, but is it a completely different track?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 02:00:52 PM by punkinhead » Logged

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #498 on: July 27, 2010, 02:38:16 PM »

I have a question about all the songs that were recorded at one time and then released one by one on later albums (mostly the Sunflower outtakes  Roll Eyes) but also including uncut songs.

BEWARE, a lot of question ahead, some might just be real easy....but to answer those, it'll make you feel good to deliver your Beach Boys knowledge to another fan.

Before they released them on a legit album, did they redo or overdub anything else?

Almost invariably - trying to think of one archive track that was untampered... and failing.

Like I've heard the early cut of Take a Load off Your Feet and it sounds slightly different than the released one on Surf's Up, what was added?

Nothing - it's just a slight remix

Now on Good Time, is there a synthesizer added to this song to make it fit in on the Love You album? I don't know, I could be totally wrong...I know vocals weren't added, but I wonder if Brian considered adding vocals.

Again, a slight remix - what you hear in 1977 is what was recorded in 1970. On the Spring version, yes, there are synths added.

On Come Go With Me, the whole track was entirely recut for the MIU album, right? the first cut was a Brian production, then the MIU album/single is an Al Jardine approach?

Both versions are Jardine productions: I think he kept the handclaps for the MIU version.

Also, I've read where My Diane dates back to 15 Big Ones, and I've heard an early cut of it, but what was does to the version to release it for MIU?

Strings added.

I've also heard an early version of Lady Lynda (MIU era?), did Al totally recut the song for LA?

Yup, but if you can find a copy, an early version plays in the background of a scene of the Almost Summer movie. Which, btw, features entirely different versions of the title track and "Sad, Sad Summer"  Grin

and the same story for Santa Ana Winds on KTSA? totally recut?  

I'd say so, although the bvs sound very similar.

Speaking of KTSA, was anything different about When Girls Get Together? I feel as though I've read where Brian's vocal is turned down on the album. And if Dennis plays drums for Endless Harmony, when was it recorded? was it the original track to 10 Years of Harmony?

Respectively, a very, very slight remix... and Dennis play percussion on "EH", not drums. For recording dates, galo out my BB website.

And speaking of 10 Years of Harmony (the GH album), was anything done to Sea Cruise or was it just taken from 15 Big Ones era, nothing added?

That's about the only one I can think of that wasn't tweaked.

Also, what did Al do to Loop De Loop to release the final/perfect cut on Endless Harmony?

He re-recorded the first verse, did a remix. The original is still better.

Were any of the previously unreleased tunes on the Good Vibrations boxed Set or Endless Harmony worked on at all?

Yes - pretty much all the Smile stuff on the box set was remixed and edited, and "4th Of July" was compiled from a safety master and maybe two other reels. "Soulful Old Man Sunshine" was compiled for the box set from the vocal multitracks, Carl's scratch vocal and the finished instrumental track, but Carl vetoed it because he flubbed one word.

How many vocals were added onto Our Prayer for 20/20?

One, maybe two layers.

and why does the track to Sherri She Needs me (Brian's vocal from 76) sound so different from the Sandy track?

'Cause it's a completely different recording.  Grin

If Child of Winter was fixed to be on the Christmas album from the 70s, was anything added to the song from the single?

As Ultimate Christmas shows, they remixed it - badly.

Also, the only version of Lady Liberty I have is on 45, so I can't exactly play it at the moment, but is it a completely different track?

That's the only version there is - all they did (they being apparently Carl & Alan) was to strip back the track a bit and hastily dub new vocals, so hastily that in places you can hear the original ones (with 'Lynda' clearly audible) leaking through.

I'm going to go and have a rest now...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 02:39:17 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: July 27, 2010, 03:34:37 PM »

Alright, thank you so much!

I hope answering all these is your pleasure and not work, because I know when I get the chance to help out with info on here, it makes me feel somewhat smart.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx