gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:52:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
shadownoze, Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray, sloopjohnb72 and 42 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399247 times)
Ganz Allein
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: April 27, 2010, 06:25:50 PM »

I think the concensus was (Dennis included) that it was too downbeat. Shame. Powerful number.

That's a damn shame. I find CMH way more uplifting than "The Beaks of Eagles" or "The Eeks of Beagles" or whatever it's called.  Grin
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 29, 2010, 07:03:50 PM »

next question:

I was looking at a session log sheet for How she Boogalooed it in one of the great BB books (Keith Badman I believe) and the original title added 'Good Lord' before 'How she....'   

any story behind that?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 29, 2010, 08:24:59 PM »

another question concerning when the guys wanted to change their name simply to Beach:

When was this?

I have a feeling it would have just lasted for one album or one tour (assuming it would have been a failure of an idea)...what album would fit the name Beach with its title?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 29, 2010, 09:57:31 PM »

another question concerning when the guys wanted to change their name simply to Beach:

When was this?

I have a feeling it would have just lasted for one album or one tour (assuming it would have been a failure of an idea)...what album would fit the name Beach with its title?

Pg. 147, chapter 9 in Carlin's book says it was early 1969. Desper even says that Brian had something written up and signed by himself, but the other guys obviously didn't go for it. Imagine, Sunflower would be the first (and possibly only) album by The Beach. If a band were to have only one album it couldn't get much better than that.
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: May 01, 2010, 09:35:20 AM »

In Badman's book he states that Let's Go Away For Awhile had lyrics (which is common knowledge to us fans), but then he goes on to say that the real reason the vocals for this weren't recorded (negating Brian's claim that he just liked the track as it was sans vocals/lyrics) was because Capitol got restless for product and "confiscated" the tapes of Pet Sounds and put it out (essentially) behind Brian's back.   
If this were true, then wouldn't that mean that Brian isn't the one who mastered the album?  Yet there's a quote from Fred Vail about being with Brian (and hearing the album for the first time) while Brian mastered Pet Sounds.
Was it more a case of Capitol pressuring Brian and Brian giving in and completing the album before he was as done with it as he might have wanted to be?   Or did capitol actually "confiscate" the tapes as Badman claims?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #305 on: May 01, 2010, 09:57:00 AM »

In Badman's book he states that Let's Go Away For Awhile had lyrics (which is common knowledge to us fans)...

Might be 'common knowledge' for you, but for fans here who know their stuff, it's a myth: "LGAFAW" never had lyrics written, and I can state this based on an impeccable source. Tony Asher told me, Stomp convention in the late 90s.

Badman's book states an awful lot of things which could politely be described as contentious.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: May 01, 2010, 10:57:17 AM »

We should make a thread about the Badman book and its false facts and present other sources to prove them wrong

~post of the century~
-Mikie

OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: May 01, 2010, 02:59:53 PM »

In Badman's book he states that Let's Go Away For Awhile had lyrics (which is common knowledge to us fans)...

Might be 'common knowledge' for you, but for fans here who know their stuff, it's a myth: "LGAFAW" never had lyrics written, and I can state this based on an impeccable source. Tony Asher told me, Stomp convention in the late 90s.

Badman's book states an awful lot of things which could politely be described as contentious.  Grin

well that's why I was asking...because I wouldn't claim to know everything there is to know (nor even most of it), but that's what questions are for aren't they, to learn.    Sorry for stating something I believed to be true because I had heard it said and read it countless times - though obviously that doesn't necessarily make something true of course.
Anyway, I had a few other questions related to the Badman book, but never mind.   It would seem that  book is not only full of typos, but misinformation as well.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #308 on: May 01, 2010, 03:09:08 PM »

well that's why I was asking...because I wouldn't claim to know everything there is to know (nor even most of it), but that's what questions are for aren't they, to learn.    Sorry for stating something I believed to be true because I had heard it said and read it countless times - though obviously that doesn't necessarily make something true of course.
Anyway, I had a few other questions related to the Badman book, but never mind.   It would seem that  book is not only full of typos, but misinformation as well.

Not entirely - the stuff he took from my website and other people's websites & MB posts (without permission or crediting us) is pretty accurate.  Grin

Probably where it falls down most badly is the live shows. Ian Rusten has been researching those with a dedication that borders on obsession (in a good way), and the results are to be found here:

http://www.esquarterly.com/bellagio/gigs.html

Any other questions you have re: Badman, ask away.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 02, 2010, 11:49:38 PM »

Has Mr. Badman ever publicly commented on his "misinformation", and relying on other sources in his book? Or about the Social Security numbers and other information like that?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #310 on: May 03, 2010, 12:30:20 AM »

Has Mr. Badman ever publicly commented on his "misinformation", and relying on other sources in his book? Or about the Social Security numbers and other information like that?

Not really... when I emailed him (and the publishers) to point out a few concerns of mine, he told me that his researchers neglected to provide their sources when they delivered their info to him, and also that he was unaware of the significance of American Social Security numbers. Otherwise, I've seen no 'public' apology.

Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 04, 2010, 10:52:34 AM »

... Sean McReavy put some lyrics to this. Sorry if someone has already made this point.
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: May 04, 2010, 01:15:50 PM »

My question is: Did Murry provide any backing vocals for 'Help Me Rhonda' - the album version?

There's a deep voice in there which is gravelly and - well, middle-aged. There's a lot going on the background of that chorus - kind of occult noises.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: May 04, 2010, 02:26:54 PM »

idk about HMR, but he did do backing vocals for Be here in the Morning, as Mike was absent

~post of the century~
-Mikie

OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: May 05, 2010, 07:20:16 AM »

Badman did a similar kind of book on the Small Faces.  I had been keen to read it but now am a bit wary.  Has anyone read this?  Is it as faulty as his BB's book?
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: May 07, 2010, 09:00:16 PM »

In the Summer Dreams movies, "Dennis" comes home to find his house trashed, with the words "'No lLove No Respect" written on the walls. Did this really happen? Or is it just a jumbled up version of the Superbowl 1981 incident, possibly with a little Charles Manson thrown in?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #316 on: May 08, 2010, 01:40:44 AM »

In the Summer Dreams movies, "Dennis" comes home to find his house trashed, with the words "'No lLove No Respect" written on the walls. Did this really happen? Or is it just a jumbled up version of the Superbowl 1981 incident, possibly with a little Charles Manson thrown in?

Nope. 100% accurate. Was reported in, I think, People.

Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 10, 2010, 05:20:55 PM »

Anyone have any exact measurements of Brian's height at any given time period?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #318 on: May 11, 2010, 12:26:18 AM »

Anyone have any exact measurements of Brian's height at any given time period?

Brian's 6-2, 6-3.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 11, 2010, 08:22:57 PM »

Do you recall what year it happened?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #320 on: May 12, 2010, 12:56:23 AM »

It was when he was with Shawn, I think, so 1982-83.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 12, 2010, 09:23:14 PM »

Thanks for the info. Is it known who the guilty parties were? Imean, other than the "usual suspects".

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #322 on: May 13, 2010, 01:15:37 AM »

Thanks for the info. Is it known who the guilty parties were? Imean, other than the "usual suspects".

It was Shawn (or whoever he was with - a nagging little voice in the back of my mind (d'ya see what I did there ?) keeps saying "Karen").

grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 13, 2010, 12:38:02 PM »

Wonder if it was Gaines who reported it. He seemed to appreciate the Dennis aspect of the BB story quite a bit in H&V.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 13, 2010, 06:24:49 PM »

Ok, here's another Dennis related Beach Boys question. It has been reported that the last recording of The Beach Boys to feature Dennis was the song Endless Harmony.It has also been stated that Dennis played "percussion" on the song. What, exactly, does the word "percussion" refer to? What was the last Beach Boys recording that Dennis played full "drums" on? Was it the Johnny B Goode KTSA outtake?

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx