gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:21:48 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399841 times)
slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 29, 2010, 10:08:25 PM »

I thought it was about the ego-death often reported during intense psychedelic experiences...they didn't like the drug reference. I think.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 29, 2010, 10:22:43 PM »

Huh? Hang On To Your Ego has completely different lyrics than I Know There's An Answer.

Not all that different in the verses.  The "how can i come on when I know I'm guilty" was changed to "How can I come on and tell them the way that live could be better" but the rest is the same (verse wise).
Listening to it again, it seems as though the words weren't so different between the two as I had thought. My apologies.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 29, 2010, 10:24:19 PM »

I thought it was about the ego-death often reported during intense psychedelic experiences...they didn't like the drug reference. I think.
Oddly enough, "they trip through their days" was kept in both versions.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #253 on: March 29, 2010, 11:21:20 PM »

1) When a recording session was finished for the day (but more recording was to be done later), what would happen with the tapes?  Would they stay at the recording studio, go to Capitol and taken out again at the time of the next session, or would the artist hang on to them (e.g. take them home)?

2) was there ever any record keeping done for acetates that were made (i.e. who made acetates of what, and where, when and for whom)?

3)  what was the bands (mostly Al and Mike?) problem exactly with Hang On To Your Ego?  The only thing changed was the chorus [edit: and one verse line], why?  was it just they didn't like the sentiment?  Was it too negative?   What exactly does the chorus mean?  Listening to this song again it seemed to me that it could have been a song about Brian's relationship with the other Beach Boys (Murray too), and that maybe they knew this and didn't like it, but then why not change all the words?  Whose ego is it anyway?  Is Brian talking to someone else (whether it's the Beach Boys or somebody other) or to himself when he's saying "hang on to your ego"?

I have a lot more questions, but I'll leave at this for now.  Cheesy

1 - Stay in the studio. unless they were going to be used a different studio next session (i.e. Columbia for vocals)

2 - Apparently not.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 30, 2010, 05:28:50 AM »

It may sound naive but I did not interpret the "trip through the day" thing as any more than "stumbling/staggering through" in the sense of "maladroit" (falling over ones' feet) in the sense of a lack of "confidence" in the journey of "growth to adulthood"  rather than drug-induced and many questioned whethere there was "double entendre" that was intentional.  And, many of the record companies insisted on lyric changes for "public perception" or for direct censorship for radio airplay legalities to conform with the then existing "decency codes." 

Cheesy   
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: April 05, 2010, 07:46:24 PM »

What are the background vocals in the Long Promised Road chorus? All I can get is:
Hit hit hard hard
Huh
knock knock down down
Huh
Throw throw off all the shackles that are binding me down down down down
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 05, 2010, 10:00:24 PM »

What are the background vocals in the Long Promised Road chorus? All I can get is:
Hit hit hard hard
Huh
knock knock down down
Huh
I heard "all the road blocks" and "yeah yeah yeah".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #257 on: April 06, 2010, 12:25:31 AM »

Hit hit hard hard
Huh
knock knock down down
Huh

Hit hit hard hard at the battles and I...

Knock knock down down all the roadblocks...

Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 06, 2010, 09:53:18 AM »

Hit hit hard hard
Huh
knock knock down down
Huh

Hit hit hard hard at the battles and I...

Knock knock down down all the roadblocks...

Thanks Mr. Doe.  Smiley
Paulos
« Reply #259 on: April 06, 2010, 01:18:49 PM »

I remember reading somewhere, although I cannot for the life of me remember where, that Dennis said in an interview in the mid-70's that they had been 'working on wordless vocals that sound like the Vienna Boys Choir' or something similar. My question is this: Were there ever any attempts to record any of these wordless vocals and who was behind the idea seeing as though it more than likely wouldn't have been Brian.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #260 on: April 06, 2010, 01:50:49 PM »

I remember reading somewhere, although I cannot for the life of me remember where, that Dennis said in an interview in the mid-70's that they had been 'working on wordless vocals that sound like the Vienna Boys Choir' or something similar. My question is this: Were there ever any attempts to record any of these wordless vocals and who was behind the idea seeing as though it more than likely wouldn't have been Brian.

That was during the build-up to 15 Big Ones, if not slightly before, late 1975 or so.

Paulos
« Reply #261 on: April 06, 2010, 01:59:07 PM »

Ah, so I guess nothing came of this due to the seeming lack of interest from the group regarding doing anything good. I guess the closest we have to what Denny describes is Our Prayer and now I think about it I dont see how the Boys mid 70's vocals would have been capable of beatiful a capella moments ala Prayer
slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 06, 2010, 02:20:53 PM »

It's actually from an article in Sounds, August 13, 1977. "I Wanna Be Where the Boys Are" by Vivien Goldman. Dennis calls "15 Big Ones" bullmerda basically and says they've been working on wordless stuff. So I always thought that must've been in sessions leading up to "Love You".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #263 on: April 06, 2010, 02:54:39 PM »

From Crawdaddy, not exactly sure when but definitely pre-15 BO:

"It's very possible one will be an all-oldies album. We've wanted to do that for a long time and Brian's into it. The other two could take the form of a double album of all new material that stretches from hard rock & roll to these wordless vocals that we've been doing that sound like the Vienna Boys Choir"

Said 'wordless vocal' could be the "mow-mama-yama" chant, of course.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 02:55:46 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 06, 2010, 03:13:54 PM »

Somehow I've mixed articles up...however, even though the quote is very familiar to me I don't recall having ever read that Crawdaddy article. Strange.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #265 on: April 06, 2010, 03:19:52 PM »

Somehow I've mixed articles up...however, even though the quote is very familiar to me I don't recall having ever read that Crawdaddy article. Strange.

Quoted in Peter Ames Carlin's excellent biog of Brian.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 06, 2010, 08:54:42 PM »

I wanna say a rehearsal of that is on the Endless Harmony soundtrack, but I could be way off.

and BTW, I have a separate, what's with the BB tune: Over the Waves/Carnival? 
What were their intentions on this recording?

So no one knows?  Huh

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 08, 2010, 12:36:47 PM »

Ah, so I guess nothing came of this due to the seeming lack of interest from the group regarding doing anything good. I guess the closest we have to what Denny describes is Our Prayer and now I think about it I dont see how the Boys mid 70's vocals would have been capable of beatiful a capella moments ala Prayer

HaHa! That line just cracked me up!!!

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 09, 2010, 07:42:22 AM »

From Crawdaddy, not exactly sure when but definitely pre-15 BO:

"It's very possible one will be an all-oldies album. We've wanted to do that for a long time and Brian's into it. The other two could take the form of a double album of all new material that stretches from hard rock & roll to these wordless vocals that we've been doing that sound like the Vienna Boys Choir"

Said 'wordless vocal' could be the "mow-mama-yama" chant, of course.

june 1976 part 1 of tim white's 2 part crawdaddy story. quote on page 37.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 23, 2010, 08:02:09 PM »

I have two questions that don't really seem to deserve their own topic:

1. What, exactly, was Dennis's tattoo of? When did he get it? Why did he get it?

2. When The Beach Boys did "Lady Lynda" in 1993 as "Little Lady", they took out all references to "lynda", right? I've never heard it before, but I've read that it was played after Al's divorce.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: April 23, 2010, 08:12:59 PM »

So when Brian was preparing for the GIOMH album, did he have to sit through the Sweet Instanity/Paley tapes? Did he say "gee's, what was I thinking" when he heard it?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: April 23, 2010, 08:37:31 PM »

I think that some of the Paley tapes are Brian's best work.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 23, 2010, 10:29:16 PM »

Some of the Paley tapes are on GOIMH!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #273 on: April 23, 2010, 11:59:05 PM »

So when Brian was preparing for the GIOMH album, did he have to sit through the Sweet Instanity/Paley tapes? Did he say "gee's, what was I thinking" when he heard it?

Brian didn't choose the songs for that album: he's stated that more than once in interviews.

jimmyboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 24, 2010, 04:37:30 PM »

It is so cool to be able to hear from Stebbins and Roach! Thanks for the time and effort you guys! Andrew Doe is a well of great info. Thanks Andrew.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 05:09:56 PM by jimmyboy » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx