gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:59:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
shadownoze, Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray, sloopjohnb72 (+ 2 Hidden) and 58 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399430 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 25, 2010, 09:46:04 PM »

Ok, here's another question: Exactly when did the lyrics to "Rhonda" change from "She was gonna be my wife...", to "She was gonna be my women", in the live performances of the song? It's a trivial thing, but I've always wondered who changed the lyric, when it was changed, and why it was changed. While I'm at it, who changed it back to "wife"?  Grin
I think it was mostly sung with the woman lyric in the 70's. They played it real funky from 1971-80 so I think that's when they adapted the lyrics slightly.
I figured that they changed it around 1970. They played it real "bluesy" for a while.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 26, 2010, 03:15:28 AM »

The hillbilly rock arrangement for "Rhonda" on In Concert is absolute balls. Can't stand it.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 26, 2010, 03:57:20 AM »

The hillbilly rock arrangement for "Rhonda" on In Concert is absolute balls. Can't stand it.

Me too. I think it sounds dull and utterly lifeless. Never heard an early-70s rendition with Dennis on lead vocals, however. Could've been a nice opportunity for him to have at least one lead vocal on In Concert.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 26, 2010, 09:05:51 PM »

I love that version.  LOL The version at Carnegie Hall from 1971(?) with Dennis singing should have been on the official In Concert album.

The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 27, 2010, 08:19:14 AM »

The Dennis version is AWESOME. I hope it gets an official release some day.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 27, 2010, 08:28:07 AM »

I've heard Brian pinched the main melody for You Still Believe In Me from a piece of classical music... True or false?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: February 27, 2010, 11:05:16 AM »

First I've heard of that - which classical piece ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 01, 2010, 04:41:42 AM »

Has that song "Hawaiian Song" surfaced yet? I think it's from the Smiley sessions? Possibly an early version of Little Pad. Sorry, I know this has been discussed before but couldn't remember if anyone had heard it or not.

Good call - part of "Hawaiian Song" transmuted into "Little Pad".

Andrew, have you or anyone heard this song - is it in the vaults?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 01, 2010, 05:18:16 AM »

Wish i knew - it didn't specify. Just wondering if anyone else had heard of such a thing, but i guess it's not true. The riff's relative simplicity (it's just going down the scale, in my simple musical terms) means it probably IS similar to something, somewhere, but that doesn't mean Brian nicked it of course.

EDIT- two more questions for you smarty types

1. What exactly is a 'tack piano'? I know what it sounds like, but i want to know what makes a tack piano.... 'tack'?  Huh
2. Why on the GV boxset is the 'false barnyard' ending repeated twice?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 09:49:22 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 01, 2010, 09:58:46 AM »

Wish i knew - it didn't specify. Just wondering if anyone else had heard of such a thing, but i guess it's not true. The riff's relative simplicity (it's just going down the scale, in my simple musical terms) means it probably IS similar to something, somewhere, but that doesn't mean Brian nicked it of course.

EDIT- two more questions for you smarty types

1. What exactly is a 'tack piano'? I know what it sounds like, but i want to know what makes a tack piano.... 'tack'?  Huh
2. Why on the GV boxset is the 'false barnyard' ending repeated twice?

I think I can answer #2. They're two different versions (I think one is just a single vocal, the other has the whole group.)

As to why, isn't that where the "Heroes and Villains, just see what you've done done" section what supposed to be on "part 2" of Brian's planned single? Maybe they figured since it already was on the set on the released 45, they didn't want to repeat it.
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: March 01, 2010, 10:14:25 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tack_piano

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: March 01, 2010, 11:28:00 AM »

Has that song "Hawaiian Song" surfaced yet? I think it's from the Smiley sessions? Possibly an early version of Little Pad. Sorry, I know this has been discussed before but couldn't remember if anyone had heard it or not.

The tape is indeed in the BRI storage facility.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 01, 2010, 12:22:52 PM »

Have you heard it though, or has anyone described it to you?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: March 01, 2010, 01:29:22 PM »

Have you heard it though, or has anyone described it to you?

Well... someone would have to have heard it, to know that a part of it turned into "Little Pad", wouldn't they ?  Smiley

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 01, 2010, 01:35:13 PM »

In your book Andrew you speculate that "Diamond Head" was based perhaps on unused Smile material. Could segments of "Hawaiian Song" have spawned both "Little Pad" and "Diamond Head" or are they from completely different works?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 01:36:17 PM by mikes beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #215 on: March 01, 2010, 02:46:52 PM »

In your book Andrew you speculate that "Diamond Head" was based perhaps on unused Smile material. Could segments of "Hawaiian Song" have spawned both "Little Pad" and "Diamond Head" or are they from completely different works?

"Hawaiian Song" isn't from the Smile sessions, though.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 01, 2010, 06:35:30 PM »

Nice dodge  Grin

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 01, 2010, 08:01:02 PM »

Um...is it just me, or did half of this thread disappear?

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 03, 2010, 05:31:58 PM »

Why, under the 'Stephen Desper' thread do posters call him 'Mr Desper'? Huh Is this kissing-up or has Stephen demanded it? Undecided

If posting on the Brit site would they call Bruce Johnston 'Mr Johnston?
GLarson432
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 04, 2010, 12:15:34 AM »

I was at the bar in the hotel of Susan Lang's BB convention in 2003 with Stephen Desper.  He was a great guy.  He asked me what it was that 'brought me in' to the BB's in the first place.  I told him the three songs I've posted about elsewhere recently. 

He was/is (I guess) a down-to-earth guy and no "Mr. Desper" was required.  He was just a guy at a bar having a drink.  I was lucky enough to be next to him.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 04, 2010, 12:45:10 AM »

Thanks for the reply Mr Larson.  Wink
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 04, 2010, 05:05:32 AM »

Why, under the 'Stephen Desper' thread do posters call him 'Mr Desper'? Huh Is this kissing-up or has Stephen demanded it? Undecided

If posting on the Brit site would they call Bruce Johnston 'Mr Johnston?

maybe respect?  Wink

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 10, 2010, 06:43:33 PM »

Is All I Wanna Do considered partially a TM song?   

Maybe a love/TM inspired song?

Never thought it was until I saw it on the Endless Harmony doc. when discussing Mike's TM endorsement.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 13, 2010, 08:17:22 AM »

I had been reading an article on backmasking and wondered if there were ever any instances of backmasking in Beach Boys music? 
slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 13, 2010, 01:08:15 PM »

Is All I Wanna Do considered partially a TM song?   

Maybe a love/TM inspired song?

Never thought it was until I saw it on the Endless Harmony doc. when discussing Mike's TM endorsement.

I've wondered this myself. In that doc they even show footage of Mike meditating/walking in the forest with "All I Wanna Do" playing. Maybe it's just because it was a very peaceful cut.

But I'm inclined to think it is slightly TM inspired. Especially the "oooh when I sit and close my eyes/a gentle thought comes in my mind/my love is burning brightly/the (?) moon and stars shine nightly".

I've also been kind of confused as to what "kind" of love song this is. Romantic, platonic? Some of it sounds like something a parent could say to a child ("help you in whatever you do") and some of it sounds romantic (Carl's wonderful "lonely in the night I feel"). Either way it's sorely underappreciated. Could've been a classic love song everyone knows in my opinion. Classic Brian and Mike song--it's like the psychedelic version of "Please Let Me Wonder," in sound and gentle sentiment.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx