gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:03:31 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway (+ 1 Hidden) and 57 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399598 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: January 10, 2010, 01:47:12 AM »

Shawn.
More than Shawn according to inside legend and really old court documents...

I don't think Jon means Mike's sister. The second wife fling is well known though

It's know that Dennis & Suzanne had a fling - Brian quite causally mentioned it in a 2005 interview about something else entirely, and threw Marilyn into the mix for good measure.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: January 10, 2010, 01:48:37 AM »

Ok, I have another question. What is Ecology? I just stumbled on this interesting recording today. What year was it made in? Who was involved in the recording?

"Ecology" was the working title for a track Dennis worked on during his 1971 solo album sessions: the intro became the intro to "River Song".

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: January 10, 2010, 02:48:02 AM »

Ok, I have another question. What is Ecology? I just stumbled on this interesting recording today. What year was it made in? Who was involved in the recording?

Sorry, just read your post properly. Unless someone's been exceedingly careless, what you've heard isn't "Ecology".

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 10, 2010, 03:23:52 AM »

Sorry, just read your post properly. Unless someone's been exceedingly careless, what you've heard isn't "Ecology".

OT: I always found it tragic that the BBs who did their utmost best to destroy their own bodies were so involved with the preservation of nature and health (POB, the Radiant Radish). A psychiatrist would probably call it: living in denial; but this author has no doubt that their intentions were utmost sincere.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: January 10, 2010, 03:38:28 AM »

OT: I always found it tragic that the BBs who did their utmost best to destroy their own bodies were so involved with the preservation of nature and health (POB, the Radiant Radish). A psychiatrist would probably call it: living in denial; but this author has no doubt that their intentions were utmost sincere.

That was what struck me about Dennis - at the precise moment he was saying anything, he was sincere, 100%. But five minutes later, could be a different tale.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 10, 2010, 03:40:51 AM »

That was what struck me about Dennis - at the precise moment he was saying anything, he was sincere, 100%. But five minutes later, could be a different tale.

Nice call, cheers.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 10, 2010, 03:43:22 AM »

Shawn.

I don't think Jon means Mike's sister. The second wife fling is well known though

It's know that Dennis & Suzanne had a fling - Brian quite causally mentioned it in a 2005 interview about something else entirely, and threw Marilyn into the mix for good measure.

And Al's wife Lynda.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: January 10, 2010, 10:35:01 AM »

Shawn.

And Al's wife Lynda.

Is that interview readily available?
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 10, 2010, 11:15:11 AM »

If it's the same interview that AGD is talking about, it was in Q magazine and the question was something like:

Q. Did Dennis deserve his reputation as a ladies man?

A. Well, he had sex with my wife, Mike's wife and Al's wife, so yes.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: January 10, 2010, 11:32:23 AM »

If it's the same interview that AGD is talking about, it was in Q magazine and the question was something like:

Q. Did Dennis deserve his reputation as a ladies man?

A. Well, he had sex with my wife, Mike's wife and Al's wife, so yes.

That's the one ! Brian's phraseology killed me: "he had intercourse with many women - my wife, Mike's wife, Alan's wife..."

TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 10, 2010, 03:36:59 PM »

Brian's the exact same way, in my estimation, that's why his favorite albums have gone from "Friends" to "Carl and the Passions" and "Holland" to "Summer Days" to "Love You" many times over.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
BillA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 10, 2010, 05:59:18 PM »

1. What was the relationship between Carl and Mike like?  We know a lot about Mike's relationship with Brian and Dennis but he really has never said anything about Carl and Carl never really said anything about him.

2. Who was responsible for the live arrangements of songs?

3. Starting with the 1976 the touring band exploded in size (horns, 3 or 4 keyboard players, Charles Lloyd, Ed Carter and Bobby F on percussion).   Why did they do this?

4. It has been reported that Carl and Brian had a strained relationship from about 1975 until a year or so prior to Carl's passing.  What was the problem?

In 1974 Mike Love's concept album Endless Summer ignited a second generation of Beach Boys fans and stirred a comeback that rocked the music world.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 10, 2010, 06:46:40 PM »

What do you mean? The recording I have heard has the River Song melody, first played on piano, and then on  what sounds like a synthesizer. Then there is another section that has Dennis singing something along the lines of "Our Love, is bigger than the ocean". Then it ends with with mid tempo drums and guitar.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 06:48:43 PM by Jay » Logged

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 10, 2010, 06:54:43 PM »

1. What was the relationship between Carl and Mike like?  We know a lot about Mike's relationship with Brian and Dennis but he really has never said anything about Carl and Carl never really said anything about him.

3. Starting with the 1976 the touring band exploded in size (horns, 3 or 4 keyboard players, Charles Lloyd, Ed Carter and Bobby F on percussion).   Why did they do this?

4. It has been reported that Carl and Brian had a strained relationship from about 1975 until a year or so prior to Carl's passing.  What was the problem?

Sorry to butt in again, but I have a question about this subject(highlighted above). Why did the group only very rarely play the middle eight(is that what you'd call it?) of God Only Knows as heard on the original studio version? Most of the time when the song was played live, that section was substituted for another melody.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 10, 2010, 08:08:05 PM »

Another connected question, it's often said that Carl wanted the band to rehearse more and that Mike wasn't really interested in doing so. As Mike wouldn't really have been needed at rehearsals though, is it widely felt that Al and Bruce (and Brian and Dennis when around for that matter) also weren't really into doing that much preparation for shows?
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 10, 2010, 10:31:12 PM »

1. What was the relationship between Carl and Mike like?  We know a lot about Mike's relationship with Brian and Dennis but he really has never said anything about Carl and Carl never really said anything about him.

3. Starting with the 1976 the touring band exploded in size (horns, 3 or 4 keyboard players, Charles Lloyd, Ed Carter and Bobby F on percussion).   Why did they do this?

4. It has been reported that Carl and Brian had a strained relationship from about 1975 until a year or so prior to Carl's passing.  What was the problem?

Sorry to butt in again, but I have a question about this subject(highlighted above). Why did the group only very rarely play the middle eight(is that what you'd call it?) of God Only Knows as heard on the original studio version? Most of the time when the song was played live, that section was substituted for another melody.

I think I know the section you're talking about...I would more accurately descrbe it as the short instrumental break before the middle eight/bridge.  I've always wondered that too.  Brian himself altered this section on the Lei'd In Hawaii version, and the band just seemed to go along with it from there on in.  The little walk up is easier to play for sure, but that can't be the entire reason.  My best guess is that without additional musicians on stage with them, that section wouldn't sound the same as on the original recording, so they decided to keep it simple.  
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 10:34:28 PM by Chris Brown » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: January 11, 2010, 04:18:29 AM »

1. What was the relationship between Carl and Mike like?  We know a lot about Mike's relationship with Brian and Dennis but he really has never said anything about Carl and Carl never really said anything about him.

3. Starting with the 1976 the touring band exploded in size (horns, 3 or 4 keyboard players, Charles Lloyd, Ed Carter and Bobby F on percussion).   Why did they do this?

4. It has been reported that Carl and Brian had a strained relationship from about 1975 until a year or so prior to Carl's passing.  What was the problem?

I think I know the section you're talking about...I would more accurately descrbe it as the short instrumental break before the middle eight/bridge.  I've always wondered that too.  Brian himself altered this section on the Lei'd In Hawaii version, and the band just seemed to go along with it from there on in.  The little walk up is easier to play for sure, but that can't be the entire reason.  My best guess is that without additional musicians on stage with them, that section wouldn't sound the same as on the original recording, so they decided to keep it simple.  

Yeah, but even after they got lots of extra musicians onstage with them, they still skipped that part for years (until the early-mid '90s, I think).  And even then, they didn't quite get it right.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 11, 2010, 04:25:51 AM »

"Some people are addicted to drugs, some people are addicted to alcohol... But I'm addicted to making people happy."
 Roll Eyes
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 11, 2010, 11:14:50 AM »

Yeah, but even after they got lots of extra musicians onstage with them, they still skipped that part for years (until the early-mid '90s, I think).  And even then, they didn't quite get it right.

That's a good point...maybe they just didn't like that part and thought that the walk up sounded better.  The part on the studio recording was a bit jarring for me when I first heard it, so perhaps they were worried that the audience would have a similar reaction.  That or they were just lazy.
Kvorka
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 13, 2010, 01:00:21 PM »

How many weeks did Pet Sounds stay on the charts before it fell off back when it was originally relased?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: January 13, 2010, 01:36:01 PM »

How many weeks did Pet Sounds stay on the charts before it fell off back when it was originally relased?

Check it out here - http://www.btinternet.com/~bellagio/charts.html

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: January 13, 2010, 01:37:46 PM »

Check it out here - http://www.btinternet.com/~bellagio/charts.html

39 weeks.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 13, 2010, 01:41:07 PM »

Carnie Wilson Unstapled. Who needs it?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 13, 2010, 02:53:15 PM »

Carnie Wilson Unstapled. Who needs it?

Me!  Me!!

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 16, 2010, 12:55:41 AM »

So I've had this Odeon Records Version of Smile for a while, and it contains all the standard stuff, however it also has a version of Can't Wait Too Long, the first thirty seconds of which I've never heard before. It starts with a really mournful acapella part featuring a female voice and then breaks into a version of the main part of the song with clapping. Does anybody know where exactly this is from?

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx