gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:52:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
shadownoze, Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray (+ 1 Hidden) and 55 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399506 times)
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 24, 2009, 08:15:10 AM »

Here's one. Were there an alternate set of lyrics to Don't Worry Baby? If Brian was shopping it to Spector, it would have to have been from the female perspective, girl groups and all that. Any ideas?

You know, I've never thought about that, but its a great question.  Brian wanted Ronnie Spector to sing it, so the lyrics must have been a little different.  I've never heard anything about it, but I would think that the original lyrics were similar to those in the versions of the song subsequently sung by females (Lorrie Morgan's is the first example that comes to mind)
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 24, 2009, 08:53:36 AM »

Has it ever been said what linked "Time to Get Alone" to Smile? It was apparently considered for Brian Wilson Presents Smile.

I believe the "link" existed simply due to the proximity of its writing to the SMiLE period. Remember, back in '03 the intention was to perform "SMiLE"-period songs live in concert in some kind of organized fashion. I believe Darian printed out cards for Brian with the names of every known song/recording from mid-'66 to mid-'67 with the instructions for Brian to review them and determine which songs he wanted to perform from this period, and, specifically, which ones were directly related to the SMiLE project. I'm thinking "Time To Get Alone" was one Brian was keen on performing for a while so it made it into the list for the SMiLE shows. Once Brian and Darian started to piece together the songs, the initial plan quickly evolved into "finishing" SMiLE as a concert piece and songs like "Time To Get Alone" and "Diamond Head" were left by the wayside.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 09:03:46 AM by Roger Ryan » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: December 24, 2009, 09:49:56 AM »

They did, however, include "TTGA" during the first set at the RFH shows in February 2004. Unwisely, as it was something of a train-wreck.  Huh

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: December 24, 2009, 09:52:52 AM »

How bad?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 24, 2009, 10:47:47 AM »

On the recording I have of one of them, Jeff ends up taking the majority of the lead as Brian, I think, knows it's too high for him. When Brian does sing his vocal is not all that good although the arrangement is fine.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 24, 2009, 12:25:09 PM »

Here's one. Were there an alternate set of lyrics to Don't Worry Baby? If Brian was shopping it to Spector, it would have to have been from the female perspective, girl groups and all that. Any ideas?
Wasn't there an alternate/early lyric about a boy being sent to war?

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 25, 2009, 05:41:54 AM »

On the recording I have of one of them, Jeff ends up taking the majority of the lead as Brian, I think, knows it's too high for him. When Brian does sing his vocal is not all that good although the arrangement is fine.

Of course Jeff would do something like this.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 25, 2009, 01:27:14 PM »

Check out Rich E P's post:
http://www.shutdown-vol2.com/forum/index.php?topic=3324.msg53641#msg53641

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 25, 2009, 02:25:35 PM »

Check out Rich E P's post:
http://www.shutdown-vol2.com/forum/index.php?topic=3324.msg53641#msg53641
Yes! For once, memory serves me right! Smiley

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2010, 06:51:46 PM »

Sweetie did become Love Ya -- which became Sweetie again during the sessions for Carnie and Wendy's album in 96-97. Their version was never released either.
Only Brian Wilson could write a song, change it almost 100%....and eventually go back to the first version again.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2010, 07:04:57 PM »

I decided to bring this topic back up, because I have a few questions:

1. During the last year or so of Dennis's life, did he and Mike really hate each other's guts as badly as has been stated in various books? Did Mike and Dennis really have a restraing order against each other, while the group was on tour? How did Mike take Dennis's death?

2. When Brian got clean and sober in 1983, how was his relationship with Dennis? Did they actually have a relationship, or did Landy keep them as far apart as possible?

3. Why didn't the beach boys actually break up, for good? With all the chaos and hatred and general misery going on, why didn't they just call it a day, and try to hold on to whatever sanity they had left? They seem to have broken up a few times, but they always got back together again after a few weeks or months. You would think that the easy thing to do would be to break up, and just avoid each other as much as possible.

Edit: One more question:

4. Why did The Beach Boys occasionally do the discarded "hum be da" section of Good Vibrations in concert around the 1977-78 period?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 07:43:46 PM by Jay » Logged

TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2010, 07:53:44 PM »

4. Why did The Beach Boys occasionally do the discarded "hum be da" section of Good Vibrations in concert around the 1977-78 period?
I know that in Austrailia Carl was dragging "gotta keep those loving good vibrations..." on and on and on and Brian, of all people, got bored and started up the "hum be dums" section to end the song or at least move onto something new. You can hear this on the "Endless Bummer" bootleg and Brian starts it quite a bit off key. Hilarious.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2010, 08:32:12 PM »

I know that in Austrailia Carl was dragging "gotta keep those loving good vibrations..." on and on and on and Brian, of all people, got bored and started up the "hum be dums" section to end the song or at least move onto something new. You can hear this on the "Endless Bummer" bootleg and Brian starts it quite a bit off key. Hilarious.
I've heard that version. I always wondered why Brian did that. I mean, the "hum be da" thing specifically. I know that it was to get the song "back on track", but why an aborted Good Vibrations section, of all things? It's just another reason(of many) why I'd like to live in Brian's brain for a few days. Somebody once also mentioned on here that the group did the "hum be da" section at a show in Seattle in 1977.

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 09, 2010, 10:30:32 AM »

1. During the last year or so of Dennis's life, did he and Mike really hate each other's guts as badly as has been stated in various books? Did Mike and Dennis really have a restraing order against each other, while the group was on tour? How did Mike take Dennis's death?

2. When Brian got clean and sober in 1983, how was his relationship with Dennis? Did they actually have a relationship, or did Landy keep them as far apart as possible?

3. Why didn't the beach boys actually break up, for good? With all the chaos and hatred and general misery going on, why didn't they just call it a day, and try to hold on to whatever sanity they had left? They seem to have broken up a few times, but they always got back together again after a few weeks or months. You would think that the easy thing to do would be to break up, and just avoid each other as much as possible.

1. Love/Hate with hate usually winning out. Yes. Did you see Endless Harmony? In EH Mike tells you exactly how he took Dennis' death.
2. They kept him away from Dennis... except at concerts and promo events.
3.$$$$
4. No reason other than it was part of the arsenal.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: January 09, 2010, 10:39:27 AM »

1. Love/Hate with hate usually winning out. Yes. Did you see Endless Harmony? In EH Mike tells you exactly how he took Dennis' death.
2. They kept him away from Dennis... except at concerts and promo events.
3.$$$$
4. No reason other than it was part of the arsenal.

Jon, I remember reading an interview with Mike several years back (was it the '92 Goldmine issue?), where he said he and Dennis actually did not have a mutual restraining order, but rather it was his brother Stan and Dennis.  And, probably around the time of Stan's 1990 attempt to gain conservatorship of Brian, I seem to recall it being reported that Mike had once charged Stan with "false imprisonment".  Anyone remember that?  If not, I'll try and dig out the sources when I have a chance.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 09, 2010, 11:06:59 AM »

Thanks C-man...so mutual restraining order with Stan, well documented physical altercations with Mike, Stan and Steve... DW quote in L.A. Times in late '78 stating DW won't have anything to do with the Beach Boys as long as Steve Love is involved with their business...DW MIU quote about Mike and his F'd Up karma, etc... etc...I guess he had a problem with the Loves eh?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: January 09, 2010, 11:55:41 AM »

Thanks C-man...so mutual restraining order with Stan, well documented physical altercations with Mike, Stan and Steve... DW quote in L.A. Times in late '78 stating DW won't have anything to do with the Beach Boys as long as Steve Love is involved with their business...DW MIU quote about Mike and his F'd Up karma, etc... etc...I guess he had a problem with the Loves eh?

Only the male ones, apparently...  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #92 on: January 09, 2010, 01:58:34 PM »

Yowsa!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 09, 2010, 03:34:54 PM »

Dennis and Maureen?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 09, 2010, 03:40:30 PM »

Shawn.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 09, 2010, 04:02:23 PM »

Shawn.
More than Shawn according to inside legend and really old court documents...
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 09, 2010, 04:22:07 PM »

Shawn.

So, Maureen, AND( probably), the reason for each of Mike's divorces. 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
MBE
« Reply #97 on: January 09, 2010, 07:27:41 PM »

Shawn.

I don't think Jon means Mike's sister. The second wife fling is well known though
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 09, 2010, 09:52:07 PM »

I learn something new about The Beach Boys or/and Dennis every day.  Grin

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 09, 2010, 09:58:29 PM »

Ok, I have another question. What is Ecology? I just stumbled on this interesting recording today. What year was it made in? Who was involved in the recording?

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx