gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
650717 Posts in 26004 Topics by 3711 Members - Latest Member: JPP4 September 21, 2019, 04:53:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 269 270 271 [272] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 746901 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6775 on: August 15, 2019, 02:26:34 PM »

Is this the same?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Smile-Sessions-by-The-Beach-Boys/183878212590?epid=0&hash=item2acffedbee:g:bAUAAOSwtYddO3RK
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6776 on: August 15, 2019, 06:56:31 PM »

Am I the only one who doesn’t hear Carl supposedly say “shunshine” during Soulful Old Man Sunshine?

You don't hear it at 2:08?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcS8MmrYoYY

Ok, I hear it now. Never knew it only happened one time. Thought Carl sang that every time. And he vetoed its release because of one word? Crazy.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6777 on: August 19, 2019, 08:57:03 AM »

I don’t know how much info is really available in terms of Carl’s alleged vetoing of “Soulful Old Man Sunshine” from the 1993 GV boxed set, but the impression I always got (which may be totally off) is that he had a larger distaste or skepticism or uneasiness about the song, or at least the extant recording. I think he still remembered it being an “unfinished” song, and perhaps the “Shunshine” thing was just one example of it clearly being unfinished, as they presumably would have gone back and fixed that if they had intended to release it back then. Indeed, I believe the 1998 “Endless Harmony” version of the song had to be stitched together from a few sources (resulting in some parts being mixed into wider stereo, some parts having more finished-sounding overdubs while others didn’t, etc.) to make the most “complete” version.

I’ve heard a number of examples of BB members over the years having uneasy feelings about putting out archival stuff because of feeling it’s “unfinished.” This may be one of the reasons why it has historically been more difficult to get post 60s archival material released, as more band members had a hand in later era recordings. I recall years ago talking to someone involved in the 2002 release of the “Knebworth 1980” show on DVD and CD, and it was mentioned that they honored Bruce’s request to cut out “I Write the Songs”, and it was also mentioned that Bruce was skeptical (my words) of releasing Knebworth because he felt it was never “finished”; he probably remembered the multiple attempts to overdub the material and also that it was never released. He even mentioned at that time that he felt the Washington DC 1980 show as a better choice to release, probably because he remembered that that project was “finished” in that he did overdubs and then it was aired and was thus a “complete” project.

I’m not sure, but I have a vague recollection Al (or someone) didn’t want “Loop de Loop” on the 1993 GV boxed set because it was considered “unfinished.”
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 08:58:21 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6778 on: August 19, 2019, 09:22:54 AM »

I’ve heard a number of examples of BB members over the years having uneasy feelings about putting out archival stuff because of feeling it’s “unfinished.” This may be one of the reasons why it has historically been more difficult to get post 60s archival material released, as more band members had a hand in later era recordings. I recall years ago talking to someone involved in the 2002 release of the “Knebworth 1980” show on DVD and CD, and it was mentioned that they honored Bruce’s request to cut out “I Write the Songs”, and it was also mentioned that Bruce was skeptical (my words) of releasing Knebworth because he felt it was never “finished”; he probably remembered the multiple attempts to overdub the material and also that it was never released. He even mentioned at that time that he felt the Washington DC 1980 show as a better choice to release, probably because he remembered that that project was “finished” in that he did overdubs and then it was aired and was thus a “complete” project.

I still can hardly believe that the band gave the thumbs up to adding Autotune to Mike's lead vocals on Knebworth. The idea of adding some awful modern technology to "fix" a 1980 recording, I just remember that when it dawned on me that it was sounding weird, it hit me in a way that's almost akin to having eaten part of a piece of pie only to grimace and find out it's been sweetened with some awful 1980s NutraSweet artificial sweetener.  Might that be the earliest released example of Autotune on a Beach Boys release? (Brian's solo "Imagination" album excepted).
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6779 on: August 19, 2019, 10:19:10 AM »

I don’t know how much info is really available in terms of Carl’s alleged vetoing of “Soulful Old Man Sunshine” from the 1993 GV boxed set, but the impression I always got (which may be totally off) is that he had a larger distaste or skepticism or uneasiness about the song, or at least the extant recording. I think he still remembered it being an “unfinished” song, and perhaps the “Shunshine” thing was just one example of it clearly being unfinished, as they presumably would have gone back and fixed that if they had intended to release it back then. Indeed, I believe the 1998 “Endless Harmony” version of the song had to be stitched together from a few sources (resulting in some parts being mixed into wider stereo, some parts having more finished-sounding overdubs while others didn’t, etc.) to make the most “complete” version.

I’m not sure, but I have a vague recollection Al (or someone) didn’t want “Loop de Loop” on the 1993 GV boxed set because it was considered “unfinished.”

It seems that the "Soulful" release is of a vintage edit of rough mixes spliced together back in the day by Dennis Dragon (who was Rick Henn's brother-in-law). Rick talks about it in a 1997 ESQ article (this was a year before the song's release). I first heard it when it was played down the phone line by David Leaf to Domenic Priore and me in '92, during the assembly of the '93 Good Vibrations box set. Meaning, it existed in that state back then, and based on Rick's comments, probably long before that.

As for "Loop" - correct, Al vetoed its release until '98 because he considered it unfinished until then.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6780 on: August 19, 2019, 12:03:36 PM »

It seems that the "Soulful" release is of a vintage edit of rough mixes spliced together back in the day by Dennis Dragon (who was Rick Henn's brother-in-law). Rick talks about it in a 1997 ESQ article (this was a year before the song's release). I first heard it when it was played down the phone line by David Leaf to Domenic Priore and me in '92, during the assembly of the '93 Good Vibrations box set. Meaning, it existed in that state back then, and based on Rick's comments, probably long before that.

As for "Loop" - correct, Al vetoed its release until '98 because he considered it unfinished until then.

Excellent info, thanks!

I definitely remembered reading that the released "Soulful" mix was a hodge podge of mixes, basically piecing something together with slightly unfinished parts. Even if I hadn't read that, the track on the EH Soundtrack clearly indicates it is taken from more than one source, and more than one mix. Interesting that it comes from a vintage mix.

I recall reading some other details at some point about the state of the extant tapes for "Soulful", how apparently some elements of what we hear on the released mix don't exist on any extant multi-tracks, only on whatever rough mixes exist.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6781 on: August 19, 2019, 12:09:33 PM »

Found an old post from 2006 from Mark Linett where he commented briefly on the track. Here's what he said back then regarding where the mix on EH came from:

The tape was a two-track that came from Rick Henn and was something he put together from old ruff mixes. Only the original tracking date with some overdubs exists on multi-track. The tape with the vocals is missing.

Mark

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,201.msg4160.html#msg4160

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 269 270 271 [272] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx