gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 08:23:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 250 251 252 253 254 [255] 256 257 258 259 260 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1406896 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6350 on: December 31, 2016, 01:45:56 AM »

No worries! I tried to avoid any "guilty" pleasures....some would add "Goin' On" to it, and it's decent but the sax solo KILLS it.

Aw man, I dig that sax solo!  Are you just not into 1980s sax solos in general, or just don't like this one mainly?  I know that instrument infamously was overused during that decade, and it turns some people off automatically as a result, but I am cool with it.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6351 on: December 31, 2016, 09:21:09 AM »

Are there any known recordings of the BBs performing 'Come Softly To Me' or 'Bony Moronie'? Does anyone here remember attending a show back in the early-mid 80s and hearing either of those songs performed?

I'd especially like to hear 'Come Softly To Me'. It's been stuck in my head all week and I've been wondering if any of the Beach Boys were fans of The Fleetwoods.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
over and over
Smiley Smile Associate

Help you in whatever you do

View Profile
« Reply #6352 on: December 31, 2016, 10:14:24 AM »

I know this has probably been asked and answered many times but couldn't find it in the search. Did Brian Wilson learn the bass guitar for the Beach Boys or did he know how to play before the band formed?

"Give me a break, I'm trying something new." - Brian Wilson
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6353 on: December 31, 2016, 12:40:23 PM »

Yeah, pretty much.

Man, they really hit a low. It just sounds so trapped to me.

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6354 on: December 31, 2016, 02:34:56 PM »

Does anybody have a copy of Lester Bangs review of Love You or know where to find it other than Rock's Backpages?

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6355 on: December 31, 2016, 02:43:16 PM »

No worries! I tried to avoid any "guilty" pleasures....some would add "Goin' On" to it, and it's decent but the sax solo KILLS it.

Aw man, I dig that sax solo!  Are you just not into 1980s sax solos in general, or just don't like this one mainly?  I know that instrument infamously was overused during that decade, and it turns some people off automatically as a result, but I am cool with it.

The former.  80s sax solos annoy me

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6356 on: December 31, 2016, 03:27:17 PM »

Aw man, I dig that sax solo!  Are you just not into 1980s sax solos in general, or just don't like this one mainly?  I know that instrument infamously was overused during that decade, and it turns some people off automatically as a result, but I am cool with it.

The former.  80s sax solos annoy me

That said, while I'm not much of a historian of 80s sax solos, it would seem that Goin' On was somewhat pioneering, or at least a pretty early example from that era of a rock song from that era having a sax solo, right? Being that it's from the first year of the decade and all. At least it was somewhat forward thinking Smiley I guess Mike would have mimed the sax solo, Kokomo music video-style, had there been a Goin' On promo video.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 03:29:07 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6357 on: December 31, 2016, 03:38:48 PM »

The former.  80s sax solos annoy me

That said, while I'm not much of a historian of 80s sax solos, it would seem that Goin' On was somewhat pioneering, or at least a pretty early example from that era of a rock song from that era having a sax solo, right? Being that it's from the first year of the decade and all. At least it was somewhat forward thinking Smiley I guess Mike would have mimed the sax solo, Kokomo music video-style, had there been a Goin' On promo video.

Wow...that's  a great point!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6358 on: December 31, 2016, 05:16:56 PM »

Did Brian Wilson learn the bass guitar for the Beach Boys or did he know how to play before the band formed?

As I've heard it, Carl taught him the bass basics for the stage. Carl and Al played the bass in the studio.
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6359 on: January 05, 2017, 07:38:44 PM »

This is probably a hopeless pursuit but awhile back on youtube there were two Beach Boy medley mix type things and each were pretty long and one had a picture of a sunny sky or something and the other had a dark sky (I can't specifically remember) and one of them started with 'It's a Blue World' by the Four Freshmen and they were both amazing and now I can't find them anywhere. Does anybody know what I'm talking about and if they do where I could find them if they're still on youtube?

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #6360 on: January 05, 2017, 07:45:52 PM »

This is probably a hopeless pursuit but awhile back on youtube there were two Beach Boy medley mix type things and each were pretty long and one had a picture of a sunny sky or something and the other had a dark sky (I can't specifically remember) and one of them started with 'It's a Blue World' by the Four Freshmen and they were both amazing and now I can't find them anywhere. Does anybody know what I'm talking about and if they do where I could find them if they're still on youtube?

If we're thinking of the same thing those are two of three mixes made by the poster Woodstock, Judd, with a small bit of editing work done by me.

Here's a link to the first video, and from that Vimeo page you should be able to view the other two:
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,18190.0.html

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6361 on: January 05, 2017, 07:47:27 PM »

If we're thinking of the same thing those are two of three mixes made by the poster Woodstock, Judd, with a small bit of editing work done by me.

Here's a link to the first video, and from that Vimeo page you should be able to view the other two:

Holy sh!t! Thank you!

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6362 on: January 05, 2017, 07:56:14 PM »

Holy sh!t! Thank you!

No problem! It was a fun project to help out with, i'll have to go back and listen as it's been ages since I've heard it. Since you're just coming back to this board I'm not sure if you've seen my 'Love' mix. It's kinda like those few compilations that Woodstock put together, but it's more like the Beatles 'Love' album where tracks are all split up and reimagined (at one point I have the vocals of Cottonfields playing over the instrumental of 'Do You Wanna Dance').

Anyways, here's the link if you're interested: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,23016.msg546648.html#msg546648

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6363 on: January 05, 2017, 08:11:56 PM »

No problem! It was a fun project to help out with, i'll have to go back and listen as it's been ages since I've heard it. Since you're just coming back to this board I'm not sure if you've seen my 'Love' mix. It's kinda like those few compilations that Woodstock put together, but it's more like the Beatles 'Love' album where tracks are all split up and reimagined (at one point I have the vocals of Cottonfields playing over the instrumental of 'Do You Wanna Dance').

Anyways, here's the link if you're interested: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,23016.msg546648.html#msg546648

I'm listening to it right now. So far it's great. I Just Wasn't Wonderful was oddly affecting. Please Say Goodbye made me laugh out loud. I mean it's beautiful but I wasn't expecting that.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6364 on: January 05, 2017, 08:27:57 PM »

I'm listening to it right now. So far it's great. I Just Wasn't Wonderful was oddly affecting. Please Say Goodbye made me laugh out loud. I mean it's beautiful but I wasn't expecting that.

Haha I totally understand! I think I probably laughed out of joy when I finally found a Beatles vocal-only track that worked so fluidly with a Beach Boys instrumental. Glad you're enjoying the mix!

Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6365 on: January 05, 2017, 08:34:58 PM »

It's funny, I forgot how weird Do You Like Worms (or Do You Dig Worms) was, I've heard it so much on it's own. But putting those vocals on top really brought out again how far out (for lack of a better term) it really sounds.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6366 on: January 05, 2017, 08:45:34 PM »

It's funny, I forgot how weird Do You Like Worms (or Do You Dig Worms) was, I've heard it so much on it's own. But putting those vocals on top really brought out again how far out (for lack of a better term) it really sounds.

I know what you mean. Standing alone without proper vocals it does sound weird (it really feels empty to me - even though I love that instrumental). But the BWPS version with the finished vocals makes that whole backing track make sense and the song really comes alive.

Some time ago a poster here mentioned that DYLW has a very nautical feel to it, I can't place why but it definitely seems to - maybe because that twangy rhythm guitar and heavy beat remind me of rolling waves or something.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #6367 on: January 10, 2017, 12:31:23 PM »

This may have been asked before (if so, my apologies) but is anything known about the number of copies sold to date of the two BB autobiographies? Or at least how the two compare in terms of sales?

An aside: Brian's has been translated into Dutch, so probably into other languages too. No idea about Mike's... 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6368 on: January 10, 2017, 03:18:31 PM »

Here is some Amazon stats.

Brian

https://www.novelrank.com/asin/0306823063

Mike

https://www.novelrank.com/asin/0399176411
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 03:25:20 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6369 on: January 11, 2017, 03:54:49 AM »

Perhaps if I'd googled stats instead of sales...

Thanks a lot, PF. Now I know where to look in future... ;=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #6370 on: January 11, 2017, 06:29:55 AM »

Did Brian Wilson learn the bass guitar for the Beach Boys or did he know how to play before the band formed?

As I've heard it, Carl taught him the bass basics for the stage. Carl and Al played the bass in the studio.

Actually, Brian played bass a lot in the studio. He played bass on all of the songs on Surfin' Safari and Surfin' USA. He continued to play a healthy amount even until Summer Days when he played bass on Girl Don't Tell Me and Then I Kissed Her.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6371 on: January 22, 2017, 02:49:10 AM »

Did Dennis and the group ever sing "In The Still Of The Night" in concert?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6372 on: January 22, 2017, 05:58:06 AM »

Did Dennis and the group ever sing "In The Still Of The Night" in concert?

Sounds like a question for Ian R. I'll check through his book later in the day... 

Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6373 on: January 22, 2017, 08:07:38 AM »

Is there a thread for Beach Boys songs used in television and film? I did a search and came up with nothing. At any rate, I was watching the latest episode of Hawaii Five-0 and just after the title sequence of the episode entitled "Line in the Sand" the Beach Boys "Little Pad" was played for around 15-30 seconds.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6374 on: January 22, 2017, 08:19:16 AM »

Is there a thread for Beach Boys songs used in television and film? I did a search and came up with nothing. At any rate, I was watching the latest episode of Hawaii Five-0 and just after the title sequence of the episode entitled "Line in the Sand" the Beach Boys "Little Pad" was played for around 15-30 seconds.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,142.0.html

I remember an early episode of Hawaii Five-O (the current show) where the two main characters mention the Beach Boys and specifically Mike and Brian by name....but Little Pad! That's awesome.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 250 251 252 253 254 [255] 256 257 258 259 260 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx