gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:25:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
shadownoze, Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray (+ 1 Hidden) and 55 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 203 204 205 [206] 207 208 209 210 211 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399524 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #5125 on: September 03, 2014, 02:46:25 PM »

Perhaps the answer to my question is buried deep somewhere within these forums, and if it is, I apologize... but does Mike Love have any vocal parts on Pacific Ocean Blue, or more specifically, bass vocal parts? I swear to Dog I can hear him on "Moonshine" and "Pacific Ocean Blues," but I suppose it could be someone else, or Dennis himself, on those parts.

Great question and I hope someone can answer definitively… don't have the notes to hand so dunno if it's covered there.

What question that hasn't been answered?  There's 69 pages in the above link, and not one of them mentions any vocals from Mike.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5126 on: September 03, 2014, 03:02:28 PM »

It's great to see some TTGA love in response to my question. I always thought it was one that most thought was 'good' but not great! It's my all time favourite song and I don't think that it will ever get boring to me! I played it in the car whilst I was pregnant last year and now my young son stops crying when he hears it - BB version AND me singing it! He's just as mesmerised by it as I am.

The production is credited to Carl but I've always wondered, what exactly did he add to the album version? Was it everything that wasn't on the Hawthorne mix? In addition, why wasn't it considered single material?!

If I remember correctly, the musical track was produced by Brian and Carl produced the vocals. I don't remember where I read it but at one time it was considered for an upcoming single. What I remember reading was after a show, someone (Bruce or Carl?) mentioned to a fan that TTGA was going to be the next single. It didn't happen and I have no idea why. It's a shame they never performed it live either.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5127 on: September 03, 2014, 04:04:59 PM »

Perhaps the answer to my question is buried deep somewhere within these forums, and if it is, I apologize... but does Mike Love have any vocal parts on Pacific Ocean Blue, or more specifically, bass vocal parts? I swear to Dog I can hear him on "Moonshine" and "Pacific Ocean Blues," but I suppose it could be someone else, or Dennis himself, on those parts.

Great question and I hope someone can answer definitively… don't have the notes to hand so dunno if it's covered there.

It's answered at the top of this page!

http://www.tiptopwebsite.com/custommusic2/craigslowinskicom2.pdf#page=1

This should answer any questions about Pacific Ocean Blue. In short, Mike isn't on it.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5128 on: September 03, 2014, 04:10:26 PM »

I discovered Wind Chimes a few days ago and I love it!  At the start when he says "Hanging down from my window"  I couldn't help but think it sounded exactly like some other song I've heard.  Does anyone know or am I thinking of a great song that doesn't exist?
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5129 on: September 03, 2014, 04:11:45 PM »

Again, how does AGD think Al sings "Daddy Dear"? Just saw a comment on a Youtube video from him making that claim.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #5130 on: September 03, 2014, 04:36:39 PM »

It's answered at the top of this page!

This should answer any questions about Pacific Ocean Blue. In short, Mike isn't on it.

Posted before I noticed there'd been other replies… Sad

“We live in divisive times.”
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #5131 on: September 03, 2014, 06:02:57 PM »

I thought it was weird that when most stations reported Carl's Passing they showed him singing TTGA as opposed to GOd Only knows or I can hear Music.
What footage was it? The home studio footage from An American Band?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5132 on: September 03, 2014, 06:12:04 PM »

I discovered Wind Chimes a few days ago and I love it!  At the start when he says "Hanging down from my window"  I couldn't help but think it sounded exactly like some other song I've heard.  Does anyone know or am I thinking of a great song that doesn't exist?
Huh?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5133 on: September 03, 2014, 06:22:55 PM »

Again, how does AGD think Al sings "Daddy Dear"? Just saw a comment on a Youtube video from him making that claim.

1)Al claimed to be singing it, to more that one person, and the tone is similar to his vocal on Be Here in the Morning
2)The Susie Cincinnati clip, which admittedly is not from the same day
3) The fact that Al is indeed singing in parts, although the majority apparently is Brian teaching the song to Al, Carl, and what could possibly be Dennis(as mentioned above, I had it backwards)

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5134 on: September 03, 2014, 08:19:11 PM »

Huh?

Is there another song out there that has a similar melody to Wind Chimes...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5135 on: September 03, 2014, 08:34:44 PM »

I used the bassline for Wind Chimes as a melody for another song, and it was pretty great, but I doubt that's it LOL

Beachlad
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5136 on: September 03, 2014, 08:43:49 PM »

I thought it was weird that when most stations reported Carl's Passing they showed him singing TTGA as opposed to GOd Only knows or I can hear Music.
What footage was it? The home studio footage from An American Band?
It has been long enough that I don't remember but I would it was.  It is odd because there are not a lot of live performances that I have seen on you tube.  I must admit ever since I saw the clip. I sing the song all the time. Now if I could get Oh darling out of my head I might sleep tonight<lol>
ppk700
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5137 on: September 04, 2014, 10:33:04 AM »

Thank you for that wealth of information!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5138 on: September 04, 2014, 05:47:26 PM »

Huh?

The only two things I can think of (that are obvious and stuff you probably already knew)...but there's the Smiley version of Wind Chimes, but it doesn't sound anything like the Smile version and Brian recycled the bass line from the Smile  version for Can't Wait Too Long.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

rogerlancelot
« Reply #5139 on: September 04, 2014, 06:39:48 PM »

Why hasn't anybody made a mash-up of "Wind Chimes" and "Can't Wait Too Long"? They would go great together!
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5140 on: September 05, 2014, 11:24:53 AM »

Should I buy this?

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/clt/4650650813.html
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5141 on: September 05, 2014, 11:26:39 AM »

Huh?

The only two things I can think of (that are obvious and stuff you probably already knew)...but there's the Smiley version of Wind Chimes, but it doesn't sound anything like the Smile version and Brian recycled the bass line from the Smile  version for Can't Wait Too Long.

Nope those aren't it.  Maybe I just made in up in my head.  Too bad I didn't think of it before Brian!   LOL
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5142 on: September 05, 2014, 11:58:58 AM »

Looks cool, If you have a good place for it, I would.  I am somewhat interested in that, and may buy it if you are not going to.  I live in Cincinnati too.  Let me know if you are going to pass.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5143 on: September 05, 2014, 12:14:11 PM »

Looks cool, If you have a good place for it, I would.  I am somewhat interested in that, and may buy it if you are not going to.  I live in Cincinnati too.  Let me know if you are going to pass.

I decided I'm going to buy it.  But if I end up not wanting it I'll sell it to you.  Smiley
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5144 on: September 05, 2014, 01:29:36 PM »

I decided I'm going to buy it.  But if I end up not wanting it I'll sell it to you.  Smiley

Sounds good.
pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5145 on: September 05, 2014, 04:42:14 PM »

Why hasn't anybody made a mash-up of "Wind Chimes" and "Can't Wait Too Long"? They would go great together!

They did. It's on this: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?topic=8859.0

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
rogerlancelot
« Reply #5146 on: September 05, 2014, 05:37:48 PM »

Yes, I remember that one but I was thinking of taking all snippets of CWTL and utilizing bits from both versions of WC (SMiLE and Smiley versions as on TSS and SOT) and consolidating it all into an enjoyable 3 & 1/2 minute song made up of sections. Maybe I'll do it some day.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5147 on: September 05, 2014, 08:48:41 PM »

Go for it, Roger!!!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5148 on: September 07, 2014, 07:23:27 AM »

Yes, I remember that one but I was thinking of taking all snippets of CWTL and utilizing bits from both versions of WC (SMiLE and Smiley versions as on TSS and SOT) and consolidating it all into an enjoyable 3 & 1/2 minute song made up of sections. Maybe I'll do it some day.
That'd be great! Would love to hear it!

~post of the century~
-Mikie

mysticmoon1993
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5149 on: September 08, 2014, 06:05:16 PM »

Maybe this is a dumb question, but is Debbie Keil the astrologer THE Debbie Keil? I just found the astrologer's website and saw Brian's named mentioned so it made me curious... she's also got blonde hair.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 203 204 205 [206] 207 208 209 210 211 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx