gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681571 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 16, 2024, 04:10:36 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: AlternateBrianWilson Presents Smile  (Read 44453 times)
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 21, 2010, 02:09:02 AM »

This is the single most creative arrangement of Smile I've ever heard.

It really captures the spirit of the album's concept, you know?
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 01:35:38 PM »

I don't understand how the person who mixed this got the audio to sound so AMAZING.

'Look' in the Cycle of Life is a sonic masterpiece (for some reason the audio mix of 'Look' in AlternateBrianWilson really reminds me of the song 'Pet Sounds'). It has the best mix of 'Surf's Up' I have ever heard (the 'auld lang syne' part is FANTASTIC).

I listened to the entire 'album' and was blown away. The Americana section is outstanding, the cycle of life is soooooo captivating, and the elements are just spectacular.

It is my favorite mix of SMiLE.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 03:06:53 PM »

Same here. I prefer it to Purple Chick, even - that pitch shifting really fecks me off sometimes. This captures the freewheeling creativity of it all too, i suppose.

I laughed out loud the first time i heard the 'can't you move the mic a little bit closer?' bit....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 07:34:36 PM »

Same here. I prefer it to Purple Chick, even - that pitch shifting really fecks me off sometimes. This captures the freewheeling creativity of it all too, i suppose.

I laughed out loud the first time i heard the 'can't you move the mic a little bit closer?' bit....

I love that 'move the mic closer' part - such a kick @$$ lead in to a blast of musical awesomeness.

I liked the intent of the Purple Chick version, but you are absolutely right: this version really captures the true fun/spiritual spirit of SMiLE....whereas BWPS just seemed too clean to me....but still awesome to listen to.

I have to say, that part in the 'Cycle of Life' where Murry Wilson says "Brian, forget who you are, will ya?" REALLY creeped me out....then I wondered how Brian would react to that segment if he ever listened to this version....which in turn made me wonder if Brian listens to any of the bootleg versions of SMiLE.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 09:01:12 PM »

I wonder how he got such a long version of "false barnyard"(part 3, I think)? The version I have heard fades after two or three of the "dum be do be do" chants. I wish somebody could help me out...,.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 03:24:03 AM »

This is the SMiLE mix I love the most. Purple Chick comes in second... but I think that one was too tied in to BWPS to really make its own mark. For what it tried to do, it did marvelously. But this one is better in so many ways. It's the only one I've heard that makes the chaotic fragments seem cohesive, as if they're actually part of the same record.
ukulelejesus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 04:11:58 PM »

AlternateBrian Wilson?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 04:17:04 PM by ukulelejesus » Logged

Over and over the crow cries uncover the lifehouse lifehouse lifehouse
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 04:22:21 PM »

AlternateBrian Wilson?

LOL !!!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 06:03:46 PM »

Wow - just came across this post while looking in the media section for a hi-res version of the Brian in a robe rolling stone cover photo for the bathroom.  This is my mix - although to be fair, it contains elements (or at the very least ideas based on) purple chick, mok, and pretty much every other mix I've ever heard.  I sent a cd to Warnakey a couple of years back and he graciously posted it.  I'm glad to hear it has some people who appreciate it. I just wanted to do the cleanest stereo mix possible, since I figured that if the BB's finished it, Brian's definitive mix would be in mono.  I should probably get it somewhere in lossless, since the version available is strictly mp3.

By the way - Wrightfan & Warnakey's mono mix is fantastic.  My own personal favorite.

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 06:14:02 PM »

And to be fair, I lifted the Surf's Up/Auld Lang Syne idea from an Artist named Stephen Necombe's cover of the song.

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 06:22:01 PM »

Wow - just came across this post while looking in the media section for a hi-res version of the Brian in a robe rolling stone cover photo for the bathroom.  This is my mix - although to be fair, it contains elements (or at the very least ideas based on) purple chick, mok, and pretty much every other mix I've ever heard.  I sent a cd to Warnakey a couple of years back and he graciously posted it.  I'm glad to hear it has some people who appreciate it. I just wanted to do the cleanest stereo mix possible, since I figured that if the BB's finished it, Brian's definitive mix would be in mono.  I should probably get it somewhere in lossless, since the version available is strictly mp3.

By the way - Wrightfan & Warnakey's mono mix is fantastic.  My own personal favorite.

The vocal lead into "Dove nested towers..." is phenomenal with a good pair of headphones on....the audio mix of Surf's Up is the best I've heard.

pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2010, 07:55:04 PM »

Thanks.  I always felt that part of the released version began too abruptly (although let's be honest - who am I to judge?) so I wanted it to seem a bit less so.  I added a little doppler-type effect on it and faded it in a bit more slowly than the album version.

-Van Dyke Parks
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 07:49:00 AM »

If you do manage to secure a lossless copy, I'd very much appreciate getting a hold of it as well. Cool
pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 08:53:34 AM »

It's now up on Demonoid.

-Van Dyke Parks
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 10:10:00 PM »

In that case if anyone has an invite I would be in their debt forever.

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2010, 01:31:50 AM »

The end of Cycle of life/Love to say dada - so exotic, love the instrumentation!

BTW, wonder what the executives of Capitol (1966/1967) are saying today, with the success of Smile, Gershwin etc!!!

/b
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 02:15:26 AM by bsten » Logged
RadBooley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2010, 09:45:57 AM »

Just wanted to say that I've listened to quite a few mixes of SMiLE and this one is my personal favorite.

It's really fantastic! It sounds complete and cohesive while still maintaining a lot of the wackiness that I always thought the album ought to have. I also love the bits of studio banter you've included-- really imparts a lot of character and charm to the album.

Great job!
DSamore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2010, 10:56:44 AM »

Just got this...can't wait to hear!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 11:03:28 AM by DSamore » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2010, 11:24:54 AM »

Thanks for the recommendation! I have ALWAYS wanted to hear a proper 35 minute SMiLE album....Jeesh, now I understand Priore's theory that SMiLE was almost completed...just a few more vocals and (for at least the Warnakey/Wrightfan version) this album would have been complete!

DSamore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2010, 03:12:19 PM »

GREAT version...perhaps the definitive Smile sessions ordering. What great work! Smiley
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2010, 03:15:29 PM »

Definitely the most fun Smile and better than the 2004 one imo.

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
DSamore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2010, 08:55:00 PM »

It's so good! I keep playing this.  I love the way that everything was done. The studio chatter added in was excellent. This is now the definitive Beach Boys Smile for me. Won, won, wonderful job!
pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2010, 09:45:32 PM »

Hey Don - thanks for starting this thread.  I really had no clue until a few days ago people were listening to and discussing my mix.  It just hit 100 downloads on demonoid since it was posted 0n 9/19.

-Van Dyke Parks
RadBooley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2010, 07:00:56 PM »

Hey Don - thanks for starting this thread.  I really had no clue until a few days ago people were listening to and discussing my mix.  It just hit 100 downloads on demonoid since it was posted 0n 9/19.

If it matters, I found out about it via Warnakey's Beach Boys Blog and have been listening to it regularly ever since. Seems like I end up pointing out something new with each listen-- again, great job on the mix!
DSamore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2010, 11:11:05 PM »

I hate to keep going on, but this is really great. I love the Van Dyke bit about the mic needing to be closer right before "la la la la..."

so awesome. you rock so hard, alternate B-dubs.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx