gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680770 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 11:26:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm, Worzel Gummidge, Paul2010 and 22 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 195 196 197 [198] 199 200 201 202 203 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1408570 times)
Al Jardine: Pick Up Artist
Smiley Smile Associate

I am an asexual walrus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4925 on: June 04, 2014, 07:21:11 PM »

This was before Landy's gross over-medication kicked in: there's footage from his autobiography promo tour, fall 1991, that would make you weep (in fact, it formed part of the smoking gun evidence that eventually freed him from Landy's control). You also have to factor in that this was shot some 28 years ago.

Yeah, isn't the Barbara Walters interview from that era as well? He's all over the place in that one.

And yeah, I think this video is really damning proof of the over-medication as you stated, but also of the fact that Brian is a 71-year old nowadays.

Which song: Inappropriate relationship with sister-in-law

Which song: Gonna straight up bang you with "the wood".

Which song: Weather conditions make me horny

Which song: Lack of proper shoes leads to potential blood poisoning and death.

Which song: Who needs church? Let's do it on the couch.

Dennis: "Holy sh*t, Al, you're finally showing signs of developing facial hair!!!"
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4926 on: June 05, 2014, 05:25:34 AM »

I found a Japanese version of In Concert on CD. Is it of any value?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4927 on: June 05, 2014, 05:30:51 AM »

Somewhere between ¥2,800 and ¥3,200, according to the obi strip on mine.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4928 on: June 05, 2014, 07:53:19 AM »

Thanks! Looks like I got a deal...it was marked down from ¥4200 to ¥1800

ahoutman1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4929 on: June 07, 2014, 12:05:53 PM »

This is a dumb question but is anything known about the "Unknown Instrumental" on Unsurpassed masters Vol 20?
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4930 on: June 13, 2014, 12:33:02 PM »

So, this is an obscure question for the knowledgable collectors out there...

I received that sealed Pet Sounds I had mentioned earlier as a gift and I've been inspecting it to make sure it's actually what it's claimed to be. While looking over it and comparing it to the open, original press of Pet Sounds I own, I noticed there's a small number on the bottom back right. On my open version, there's a "3", and on my sealed version, there's a "6".

Does anyone know what these numbers represent?
rogerlancelot
« Reply #4931 on: June 13, 2014, 01:30:09 PM »

Does anybody know what time it is?
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4932 on: June 13, 2014, 01:42:26 PM »

Anybody have more info on this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG9luwmrOAk

It's Brian Wilson live in 1986, and he seems to be all there, and his speech isn't slurred at all, really with it. He forgets the lyrics at one point to Surfer Girl, and gives a shoutout to Landy.

I've never seen it before, and it's really wild to watch.

Not Brian's first solo gig - as claimed in the video - by over a year. NAS tribute show, Beverley Theater, Beverley Hills, LA. Bruce was also on the bill. Cool footage, and excellent audio. This was before Landy's gross over-medication kicked in: there's footage from his autobiography promo tour, fall 1991, that would make you weep (in fact, it formed part of the smoking gun evidence that eventually freed him from Landy's control). You also have to factor in that this was shot some 28 years ago.

Also, there's an account of this gig in the Wilson Project book.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #4933 on: June 13, 2014, 01:57:27 PM »

It's pretty late. But is late really late or not?
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #4934 on: June 13, 2014, 03:55:09 PM »

So, this is an obscure question for the knowledgable collectors out there...

I received that sealed Pet Sounds I had mentioned earlier as a gift and I've been inspecting it to make sure it's actually what it's claimed to be. While looking over it and comparing it to the open, original press of Pet Sounds I own, I noticed there's a small number on the bottom back right. On my open version, there's a "3", and on my sealed version, there's a "6".

Does anyone know what these numbers represent?
Got a photo?

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4935 on: June 13, 2014, 04:22:48 PM »

I'll post photos of both when I get home.
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4936 on: June 15, 2014, 11:40:27 AM »

What is best mix of Susie Cincinnati?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #4937 on: June 15, 2014, 11:48:40 AM »

What is best mix of Susie Cincinnati?

The one you like the most.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4938 on: June 15, 2014, 12:09:24 PM »

Does anybody really know what time it is? Does anybody really care? If so, I can't imagine why….
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4939 on: June 17, 2014, 11:58:50 AM »

(why) are(n't) there any pictures of Brian and /or the piano in the famous sandbox?

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4940 on: June 17, 2014, 12:12:01 PM »

(why) are(n't) there any pictures of Brian and /or the piano in the famous sandbox?

I do find it odd that no one thought to take a picture of it. There's pictures of other things in the house on Laurel Way. Yet no piano in a sandbox. No professional photos and none from Marilyn's personal collection of snapshots, at least none that were ever published.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #4941 on: June 17, 2014, 12:16:43 PM »

I do find it odd that no one thought to take a picture of it. There's pictures of other things in the house on Laurel Way. Yet no piano in a sandbox. No professional photos and none from Marilyn's personal collection of snapshots, at least none that were ever published.

Always been under the impression it wasn't there for very long…

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4942 on: June 17, 2014, 01:27:06 PM »

Certainly gone by April 1967. As, indeed, were Brian & Marilyn.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #4943 on: June 21, 2014, 11:44:49 AM »

Who does the "YYEEAAHHH" at the end fade of I Do Love You?
Is it Carl or Stevie?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4944 on: June 21, 2014, 05:09:49 PM »

While reading David Beard's excellent article in the Examiner about Brian's journey for his new album, it raised a few questions in my head:

-the article mentions Don Was being involved with the project, which made me think, "what happened between Brian and Don Was that made them stop working with one another?" Or was I Just Wasn't Made for These Times Documentary/Soundtrack album just a "one off deal"? Wasn't Don Was part of the Beach Boys/Paley sessions? I can't remember, haven't read about that in a while.

-the article also mentions Joe Thomas working with Brian again...and I just gotta ask, what does Joe Thomas have as a producer/collaborator/friend that people like Andy Paley, Scott Bennett, Van Dyke Parks, Don Was, or Tony Asher don't have?  I'll be honest and say that I'm just a little bit jealous of their friendship and I just don't see Joe as a collaborator with Brian like I do the other guys. Joe also just seems like an everyday person and I also don't know or have heard of his talents outside of his production work with Brian.

An example of something that gets me about Joe is from the Nashville Sounds documentary, where Brian and Joe are listening to Caroline No and Brian says "I (or we) cried when we listened to this," and Joe replies: "yeah, we all did." Maybe I'm just not convinced of how big of a fan he is when he said that...and really, does it matter? Obviously not because Brian enjoys working with him. I guess I'm just jealous that as a big fan, I'd never have the chance to do something like work with Brian Wilson. And that's the thing, some musicians don't like collaborating with people who are big fans of their work, for all kinds of different reasons.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4945 on: June 21, 2014, 05:37:16 PM »

While reading David Beard's excellent article in the Examiner about Brian's journey for his new album, it raised a few questions in my head:

-the article mentions Don Was being involved with the project, which made me think, "what happened between Brian and Don Was that made them stop working with one another?" Or was I Just Wasn't Made for These Times Documentary/Soundtrack album just a "one off deal"? Wasn't Don Was part of the Beach Boys/Paley sessions? I can't remember, haven't read about that in a while.

-the article also mentions Joe Thomas working with Brian again...and I just gotta ask, what does Joe Thomas have as a producer/collaborator/friend that people like Andy Paley, Scott Bennett, Van Dyke Parks, Don Was, or Tony Asher don't have?  I'll be honest and say that I'm just a little bit jealous of their friendship and I just don't see Joe as a collaborator with Brian like I do the other guys. Joe also just seems like an everyday person and I also don't know or have heard of his talents outside of his production work with Brian.

An example of something that gets me about Joe is from the Nashville Sounds documentary, where Brian and Joe are listening to Caroline No and Brian says "I (or we) cried when we listened to this," and Joe replies: "yeah, we all did." Maybe I'm just not convinced of how big of a fan he is when he said that...and really, does it matter? Obviously not because Brian enjoys working with him. I guess I'm just jealous that as a big fan, I'd never have the chance to do something like work with Brian Wilson. And that's the thing, some musicians don't like collaborating with people who are big fans of their work, for all kinds of different reasons.

I'm guessing Thomas' fan status doesn't really matter one way or the other. What he seems to bring to the table is an organization that can produce  artists through a range of media. Whether we like his contribution to Brian's compositional work or not, the guy has worked with a lot of big names as a recording, TV and concert producer. He seems to have industry connections and a production organization that works.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Thomas_(producer)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4946 on: June 21, 2014, 05:55:35 PM »

Pretty sure Don Was dropped out when the BB album sessions fell apart -- also, Brian had started working with Joe at that point. But he and Brian have stayed friendly -- Don has always given nice quotes about whatever BW is working on, and Brian played with Don's band a few years ago.

As for Joe Thomas, I think it's important to remember that over the last 20 years, Brian and Joe have only worked together from about 1996-1999 and 2011-present. Brian has worked far more with other people (mostly his band) over that time.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4947 on: June 21, 2014, 06:55:07 PM »

All very true, thanks guys!
I love the insights.
And you're right, it doesn't matter how big a fan he is.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Nicko1234
« Reply #4948 on: June 21, 2014, 08:09:57 PM »

I guess also the importance of Brian`s wife can`t be under-estimated in why Brian started working with Joe Thomas.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4949 on: June 21, 2014, 08:36:50 PM »

Though she also helped end it by suing Joe, so ...

The Thomas thing is complicated.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 195 196 197 [198] 199 200 201 202 203 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx