gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:55:21 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray, sloopjohnb72 and 42 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 189 190 191 [192] 193 194 195 196 197 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399187 times)
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #4775 on: March 29, 2014, 01:25:50 AM »

Does Dennis sing all the bass parts in It's OK? Those yeeahs and stuff?

That's Mike
Yeah, I was wondering that since he did it live too. It's so low that it's hard to recognize. Mike does those low parts really great.
That's Dennis. According to Jon Stebbins, in a really old thread I was reading the other day ... I feel like it was somewhere around page 183 of the general On topic section. Perhaps I'll go back and find it, if I'm able. OR has new sh*t come to light? that's mike? huh. I'm a bit crestfallen, honestly.  

Well, I always thought that was Dennis. But what do I know. I couldn't find any more info about that.

Apart from the "Find a ride" tag, Dennis sings a bass vocal underneath Mike's lead and the group's harmonies during the second and third verse and the tag

It sounds like "It's OK, it's alright" ... ?
Dennis also sings that bass "yeah" on the chorus of Its OK...as in, gotta go to it "yeah".
Found it!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 01:38:34 AM by RiC » Logged
LdC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4776 on: March 29, 2014, 04:09:33 AM »

Does anyone know the reason why Dennis and not Al sings Help me Rhonda on the MIC boxset?
Dennis sang "Rhonda" in concert for a while in the early 70s. He had broken a hand in 1972 (?) and wasn't able to pound the drums for some time. Instead, he got his spotlight at the front, singing the lead on a couple of tunes.

That's what you were asking, right? Wink

Yes it was  thanks.

Im right in saying Al sings it in the IN Concert cd of the same tour?

And which other ones does Dennis take the lead on?
pmugghc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4777 on: March 29, 2014, 09:24:56 AM »

One thing that has bugged me regarding the 50 tour is the guitar intro to Help me Rhonda. I saw them live in Sweden, I have the DVD and CD. The guitar intro sounds so lame. I much prefer the Today or In Concert guitar intro. What do you guys think?
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4778 on: March 30, 2014, 02:54:12 PM »

http://open.spotify.com/track/4iBFPZcQuGylgzjwlrl67J

What are we to make of this?

'In My Moondreams' (Brian Wilson), featured on Spirit of Akasha - Celebrating Morning Of The Earth Soundtrack (2014).

Sounds like there is a wall of some-bodies singing wordless harmony in there.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #4779 on: March 30, 2014, 03:17:23 PM »

Just listened to it on Spotify and sounds like the Pulp Surfin' recording (which also has Brian's (and Paley's?) wall of vox)  though my ears couldn't tell you whether it was remastered/remixed. It is listed on the 2CD soundtrack's tracklist so those who missed it first time around will get another chance.  Looks like it might also be on the vinyl in the deluxe boxed version of the soundtrack.

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4780 on: March 30, 2014, 03:36:00 PM »

http://open.spotify.com/track/4iBFPZcQuGylgzjwlrl67J

What are we to make of this?

'In My Moondreams' (Brian Wilson), featured on Spirit of Akasha - Celebrating Morning Of The Earth Soundtrack (2014).

Sounds like there is a wall of some-bodies singing wordless harmony in there.

This we makes it to be the Andy Paley-composed track that was released back in  August 1995 on the Pulp Surfin' v/a album on Donna (DOCD 70022-2). Brian's involvement was just the wall of Brians.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4781 on: March 31, 2014, 10:47:46 PM »

Listening to I Wanna Pick You Up:

It definitely sounds like a 15 Big Ones cut. Real bass, tack piano, and actually drumming. It was definitely recorded somewhere between January and May 1976, just like AGD's site suggests.

Do we know anything more about the history of the track, and perhaps why it was left off 15 Big Ones?
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #4782 on: April 01, 2014, 02:53:59 AM »

[...]

Do we know anything more about the history of the track, and perhaps why it was left off 15 Big Ones?
Because it was too awesome for 15 Big Ones and fits perfectly on Love You3D
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4783 on: April 01, 2014, 04:26:52 AM »

[...]

Because it was too awesome for 15 Big Ones and fits perfectly on Love You3D

the best answer
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4784 on: April 03, 2014, 07:51:33 AM »

Does the single version of "Do It Again" have the "Workshop" snippet at the end?
Like, the version they played on the radio.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4785 on: April 03, 2014, 08:57:12 AM »

Does the single version of "Do It Again" have the "Workshop" snippet at the end?
Like, the version they played on the radio.

No, but you don't know which CD they play it from. Both the twofer and the GV box use the version with the snippet. The 80s "Made in USA" compilation has the single version.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #4786 on: April 03, 2014, 10:11:07 AM »

Did any vinyl re-releases of Pet Sounds have the bonus tracks: Trombone Dixie, Hang on to Your Ego, or Unreleased Background vocals (for Don't Talk)?

I've never seen any but I was wondering, with all the re-releases, you'd think they'd put those tracks on there sometime.
I know it's not on the 40th anniversary yellow/green vinyl release.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
halblaineisgood
« Reply #4787 on: April 03, 2014, 10:27:14 AM »

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 09:22:05 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4788 on: April 03, 2014, 01:36:59 PM »

Did any vinyl re-releases of Pet Sounds have the bonus tracks: Trombone Dixie, Hang on to Your Ego, or Unreleased Background vocals (for Don't Talk)?

Yes, there is one mono reissue from, I think the early '90s that came in two different editions. I just edited this because I wasn't sure I had the numbers right, but I know N2-16156 is the regular album and there is another version with some kind of number variation that has Hang On To Your Ego as a bonus. It is not listed on the label.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 01:45:18 PM by Amanda Hart » Logged
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #4789 on: April 03, 2014, 03:39:42 PM »

Are Pet Sounds, Smiley Smile, and Wild Honey the only 80's Capitol green label reissues in mono? And the rest of 'em are in duophonic? Like, "Dance, Dance, Dance" for instance?

Surfin' Safari and Party! were also released in mono form. Curiously, the Be True To Your School LP which manages to rescue most of the songs that were cut from theses reissues was also issued in mono, including In The Back Of My Mind and Amusement Parks U.S.A.. Pity that they decided to reissue Today and SDSN in duophonic Sad

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4790 on: April 03, 2014, 08:40:25 PM »

Is there any poll on here or ranking of the best Beach Boys songs? I've searched and haven't found any. If there isn't I think it'd be cool. I'm not the biggest fan of all the polls, but I think with a large amount of people as there are on this board, if they each chose their few favorites maybe, ranking them, a counted official ranking could be pretty cool. I think there'd be some surprises. I don't know, maybe not. I'd like to see it though.

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4791 on: April 03, 2014, 08:49:27 PM »

Is there any poll on here or ranking of the best Beach Boys songs? I've searched and haven't found any. If there isn't I think it'd be cool. I'm not the biggest fan of all the polls, but I think with a large amount of people as there are on this board, if they each chose their few favorites maybe, ranking them, a counted official ranking could be pretty cool. I think there'd be some surprises. I don't know, maybe not. I'd like to see it though.

Here's a cool thing that KokoNo set up a while ago:
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,12131.0.html
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #4792 on: April 04, 2014, 09:53:51 PM »

Yes, there is one mono reissue from, I think the early '90s that came in two different editions. I just edited this because I wasn't sure I had the numbers right, but I know N2-16156 is the regular album and there is another version with some kind of number variation that has Hang On To Your Ego as a bonus. It is not listed on the label.
Interesting, thank you, I wonder if I have it...I have a reissue from the 90s in the wrap still...I'll look later.

Next questions, and they're slightly related:

I've been really into studying the Paley Sessions from the 90s, I've noticed some boots are called Slightly American Music (which is a great album title!) but some are called Landylocked, why is that? Isn't this during the time he was gone from his care? I'd think the Sweet Insanity or Usher Sessions would be called "Landylocked".

Also, does anyone know a good source for the Paley Sessions?
Particularly the song Slightly American Music?
I thought the Surfermoon site had them, but it doesn't.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4793 on: April 05, 2014, 02:18:45 PM »

Is "Let It Shine" basically a Jeff Lynne track just with Brian's vocals?  Like how much did Brian actually contribute to the composition of that song?
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4794 on: April 05, 2014, 03:26:35 PM »

Is "Let It Shine" basically a Jeff Lynne track just with Brian's vocals?  Like how much did Brian actually contribute to the composition of that song?

From what I've read in the past Brian came up with the intro/outro.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4795 on: April 05, 2014, 03:38:41 PM »

According to the 2000 extended reissue, the intro/outro round. Also, according to several folk in private conversation, Brian hated the song.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4796 on: April 05, 2014, 05:12:09 PM »

Does anybody know how long Banana and Louie lived for? Were they still around during the seventies? (Yeah I know, terrible question...just wondering though).

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4797 on: April 05, 2014, 05:15:15 PM »

Does anybody know how long Banana and Louie lived for? Were they still around during the seventies? (Yeah I know, terrible question...just wondering though).

I'm guessing they died in the late 70's, but I'm not sure how old they were circa 1966.
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4798 on: April 05, 2014, 05:17:10 PM »

Thanks Ebb, great picture! Never seen that one. Puppy put on weight since '66, lol!

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4799 on: April 05, 2014, 05:38:34 PM »

I also wondered what happened to Brian's doggie's...??.....Huh?

RickB
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 189 190 191 [192] 193 194 195 196 197 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx