gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680839 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 05:15:59 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 185 186 187 [188] 189 190 191 192 193 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1409825 times)
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4675 on: March 08, 2014, 06:16:34 PM »

Aside from the 88 album and That Lucky Old Sun (which I've seen a few times), which Brian Wilson albums are available on vinyl?

It's something I've been wondering about for a while

All Brian (edit:) studio albums are on vinyl, except Imagination, Orange Crate Art, and In the Key of Disney.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 06:52:23 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4676 on: March 08, 2014, 06:42:47 PM »

not to be toooo picky,

but 'Pet Sounds live' and 'Live at the Roxy' are also not on vinyl......

RickB
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #4677 on: March 08, 2014, 09:05:36 PM »

Side notes on BW solo vinyl:
-Your Imagination was out out on a 45 and the b-side is an amazing vocals only me of Your Imagination
-Gettin In Over My Head is two Orange colored LP's
-I Just wasn't Made for these times was only recently put on vinyl within the last five years (surprisingly enough)
-TLOS is on orange vinyl in some editions (I think)
-What I really Want For Christmas was on white vinyl (I think, or maybe it was the single)
-BW Presents Smile is two LPs long with the album being on three sides and the third side being instrumental bonus cuts
-BW88 was re-released last year on blue vinyl.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4678 on: March 08, 2014, 09:29:42 PM »

-Your Imagination was out out on a 45 and the b-side is an amazing vocals only me of Your Imagination
-I Just wasn't Made for these times was only recently put on vinyl within the last five years (surprisingly enough)
-What I really Want For Christmas was on white vinyl (I think, or maybe it was the single)
-BW Presents Smile is two LPs long with the album being on three sides and the third side being instrumental bonus cuts

I am not aware of 'lucky ol sun' on orange vinyl, if someone here could verify for sure..
what I really want for xmas, was on a white vinyl 45 single, not LP.
there is also a single from 'lucky ol sun'..... some on orange and blue vinyl 'midnight's another day backed with lucky ol sun/morning beat'
I believe the orange one's are the standard copies, where as the blue one's are signed by Brian himself...
I have one of the blue'ys.....that are signed...
all other you make are correct.

RickB
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4679 on: March 09, 2014, 11:55:49 AM »

On the Made In California box set Little Honda comes after Fun, Fun, Fun but before Don't Worry Baby, Why Do Fools Fall In Love and The Warmth Of The Sun. Why is it in the Shut Down Vol. 2 section not the All Summer Long section?

I've been wondering too.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4680 on: March 09, 2014, 01:36:40 PM »

I am not aware of 'lucky ol sun' on orange vinyl, if someone here could verify for sure..
what I really want for xmas, was on a white vinyl 45 single, not LP.
there is also a single from 'lucky ol sun'..... some on orange and blue vinyl 'midnight's another day backed with lucky ol sun/morning beat'
I believe the orange one's are the standard copies, where as the blue one's are signed by Brian himself...
all other you make are correct.

RickB

I must have mistaken the orange vinyl LP for the 45, my bad. As I only have the LP that's black, I wasn't 100% sure.
I also don't own WIRWFC on vinyl, so I wasn't entirely sure on that either, I was thinking it only released on 45.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4681 on: March 09, 2014, 02:27:41 PM »

yeah interestingly, 'WIRWFC' on vinyl seems to be quite a difficult item to find....

even now on ebay, there is not one listed.....

the last one I saw someone wanted like 2 or 300 hundred bux! yikes!

it was released on arista records, plain cover, no insert, and a plain white label with black writing.... nothing deluxe about it at all...

but the music is goooooood...  Wink

RickB
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4682 on: March 09, 2014, 02:29:57 PM »

I have an orange and a blue MAD 45, and neither of mine are signed, so I don't think all the blue ones were issued that way. I got both of them (actually I got 2 blues and 1 orange and give the extra blue one to a currently MIA member of this board) for free with purchases from the merch counter the LOS show at the Chicago Theater.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4683 on: March 09, 2014, 02:44:56 PM »

Hi Amanda, so your saying the front sleeve of your 'blue' 'MAD' is NOT signed???

Ok, Thankyou for letting me know.....I was not aware...

The blue one I believe I got through Brian's website, so I thought they may have only been BW exclusive..

Thanks again,

RickB
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4684 on: March 09, 2014, 02:49:59 PM »

Hi Amanda, so your saying the front sleeve of your 'blue' 'MAD' is NOT signed???

Ok, Thankyou for letting me know.....I was not aware...

The blue one I believe I got through Brian's website, so I thought they may have only been BW exclusive..

Thanks again,

RickB

Right, no signature on my blue MAD 45. That might have been how they marketed them on the website, I don't know. Like I said, mine was a freebee from the merch counter at a show.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #4685 on: March 09, 2014, 05:17:01 PM »

yeah interestingly, 'WIRWFC' on vinyl seems to be quite a difficult item to find....

even now on ebay, there is not one listed.....

the last one I saw someone wanted like 2 or 300 hundred bux! yikes!

it was released on arista records, plain cover, no insert, and a plain white label with black writing.... nothing deluxe about it at all...

but the music is goooooood...  Wink

RickB

we must search differently; I saw one US 45, 4 UK white vinyl  45s and 1 US LP

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4686 on: March 09, 2014, 05:29:38 PM »

hi bgas...

sorry I didn't explain right, I was referring to the Lp version.... yeah I see the one on there, but that's the only one listed...

I keep an eye out to see how many get listed, and as I said, not many turn up...

yeah, the 45's are pretty common ...

RickB
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #4687 on: March 09, 2014, 09:08:28 PM »

hi bgas...

sorry I didn't explain right, I was referring to the Lp version.... yeah I see the one on there, but that's the only one listed...

I keep an eye out to see how many get listed, and as I said, not many turn up...

yeah, the 45's are pretty common ...

RickB

Hey no problem here. Glad you see the one( not none).
Thing is with Ebay these days, unless you know the exact listing title, or the listing number, you can only check back 15 days; I don't think it's as rare on Ebay as you think, as I think I see it more often, tho I could also be mistaken 

There are two copies of the LP available on Amazon; 1  for $204( Peoria IL), the other $379 in Ohio. 
There's one UK copy , signed by Brian, on Gemm.com for $83.61 plus shipping ( from the UK)

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4688 on: March 09, 2014, 10:19:08 PM »

Is there a complete, live recording of "Please Let Me Wonder" from 1965-ish out there?
I've been looking through 'things' and I can't find any performance of it. Google searches aren't much help, either.

Seems like a song they didn't play often.
JukeJohnson
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #4689 on: March 10, 2014, 02:06:11 PM »

is anyone cognizant of the source for the full, raw vocal/organ overdub heard briefly near the conclusion of the "Behind the Sounds: I Know There's an Answer" clip? listen here: http://youtu.be/X3f6ZKQ_ffo?t=12m22s

i've not been able to locate it (very specific mix) within the Pet Sounds Sessions stacks-o-tracks, nor even the entire Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 13 disc devoted to HOTYE/IKTAA takes. how many bootlegs are even extant, beyond these confines...? the entire track, including that Hammond B-3 organ dub, is what i seek... seems récherché

merci

Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4690 on: March 10, 2014, 02:14:52 PM »

I used the SOT Pet Sounds box, Disc 1 track 15.  If you OOPS it the organ track is isolated along with the vocal.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #4691 on: March 10, 2014, 02:28:18 PM »

Oh, another question, would the CBS cd release of POB sound different from the POB release from 2008?
Don't have the CBS one (yet), so making a big ass-umption; in terms of the original album tracks (remastered not remixed), I don't think you will hear anything radically different - just improved overall sonics due to the improvements in Analogue to Digital conversion since the CBS release.  Of course, how you play it back will also influence the playback quality (speakers, headphones etc).

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4692 on: March 11, 2014, 06:38:31 PM »

George Harrison once said about the Beatles Rubber Soul & Revolver that he thought they were like volume 1 & volume 2.
Does anyone else see Sunflower & Surf's Up like Volumes 1 & 2? I think Sunflower is the bright side and Surf's Up the dark side of the same coin. I've always had them together in my mind.

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4693 on: March 11, 2014, 06:46:25 PM »

George Harrison once said about the Beatles Rubber Soul & Revolver that he thought they were like volume 1 & volume 2.
Does anyone else see Sunflower & Surf's Up like Volumes 1 & 2? I think Sunflower is the bright side and Surf's Up the dark side of the same coin. I've always had them together in my mind.

I've actually had this same exact thought. I brought it up with someone else, but they disagreed with me.
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4694 on: March 11, 2014, 07:51:33 PM »

I've actually had this same exact thought. I brought it up with someone else, but they disagreed with me.

I can see why someone would, but whenever I think about it it just seems so right.

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4695 on: March 11, 2014, 08:18:09 PM »

On the Made In California box set Little Honda comes after Fun, Fun, Fun but before Don't Worry Baby, Why Do Fools Fall In Love and The Warmth Of The Sun. Why is it in the Shut Down Vol. 2 section not the All Summer Long section?

I have no evidence to back this up... but I believe that song was recorded as a demo, then given away to another band to be recorded... and then the Beach Boys re-recorded it (I suppose there's a demo)... so i'm not sure of the timeline, just pointing out that the song had a crooked path to it, which could make it's recording fit in different time periods depending on how you were chronologically placing the songs. 
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4696 on: March 11, 2014, 08:41:49 PM »

Surf's Up is almost like a different era from Sunflower because of Jack Reilly (even though they were both the first Warner Brothers albums). It's the transition to the radical overhaul of CATP and Holland, but still the last gasp of their Sunflower era sound on tracks like Disney Girls and Feet (which was actually an outtake from Sunflower). Really interesting record, to say the least. 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 08:46:14 PM by Gabo » Logged
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4697 on: March 11, 2014, 09:01:44 PM »

Is there a complete, live recording of "Please Let Me Wonder" from 1965-ish out there?
I've been looking through 'things' and I can't find any performance of it. Google searches aren't much help, either.

This is the only one I could find (I remember it being in the American Band film), don't think it's complete, but if you think about it, how much longer was Brian touring after this? Perhaps the guys thought it was either too personal or slow or tough to perform live...just pure speculation on my part:

http://youtu.be/WjB9u85WSmo

~post of the century~
-Mikie

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4698 on: March 11, 2014, 09:07:29 PM »

This is the only one I could find (I remember it being in the American Band film), don't think it's complete, but if you think about it, how much longer was Brian touring after this? Perhaps the guys thought it was either too personal or slow or tough to perform live...just pure speculation on my part:

http://youtu.be/WjB9u85WSmo

This video is what actually prompted my search. It's such a wonderful performance and it's a bummer that it doesn't show the full song.
Thanks for your help, though!
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4699 on: March 12, 2014, 12:23:39 AM »

It's not a real live performance per say though, just Brian singing on top of the album track with the other guys miming.

I do remember hearing that an actual live '65 version with Brian was under consideration for release on MIC.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 185 186 187 [188] 189 190 191 192 193 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx