gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:33:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
shadownoze, Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray, sloopjohnb72 (+ 1 Hidden) and 50 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 183 184 185 [186] 187 188 189 190 191 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399387 times)
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #4625 on: January 28, 2014, 06:32:32 PM »

Does anyone know what happen to the Open Sky/Endless Sky DVDs that the great folks at ESQ were doing? A friend let me borrow a few of those DVDs to view and I was just looking on the ESQ site, looks like there was five volumes (I think) and the year was 2010. I really enjoyed what I'd seen, I was just curious if they're still making these or if something happened.
Has anyone seen any of these DVDs? I really wanna see the Tony Asher/Alan Boyd interviews.

Yes, I have the one Open Sky and the five Endless Sky DVDs. It's a shame that production has seemingly stopped as they contain some great interviews. Incidentally, Volume 3 includes a DVD link to Mark Linett and David Leaf interview snippets which haven't yet been released in full.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #4626 on: January 28, 2014, 08:45:07 PM »

Does anyone know what happen to the Open Sky/Endless Sky DVDs that the great folks at ESQ were doing? A friend let me borrow a few of those DVDs to view and I was just looking on the ESQ site, looks like there was five volumes (I think) and the year was 2010. I really enjoyed what I'd seen, I was just curious if they're still making these or if something happened.
Has anyone seen any of these DVDs? I really wanna see the Tony Asher/Alan Boyd interviews.

Yes, I have the one Open Sky and the five Endless Sky DVDs. It's a shame that production has seemingly stopped as they contain some great interviews. Incidentally, Volume 3 includes a DVD link to Mark Linett and David Leaf interview snippets which haven't yet been released in full.
Oh really? NOW THATS an interview set, just as awesome as the pair I haut mentioned last post.'
I really thought this DVD series would allow us, the fans, to get a great sneak peek at those behind the scenes of the Beach Boys universe, darn shame there won't be anymore.
I was thinking of all the people they could still interview:
-surviving members of Wrecking Crew
-older collaborators and associates (that are still alive): Jack Rieley, David Sandler, Andy Paley, Stephan Kalinich, Don Was, Ron Altbach, Russ Titleman, Charles Lloyd, Jeff Foskett)
-more touring sidemen
-beach boy authors
-former mangers
-former girlfriends and wives
-side project bands- Honeys, Sharon Marie, The Flame, Danny Hutton, "Bob and Bobby", Ron Wilson, etc.

Could go on and on, but I need to go to bed.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 08:48:16 PM by punkinhead » Logged

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #4627 on: January 28, 2014, 09:49:19 PM »

Oh really? NOW THATS an interview set, just as awesome as the pair I haut mentioned last post.'
I really thought this DVD series would allow us, the fans, to get a great sneak peek at those behind the scenes of the Beach Boys universe, darn shame there won't be anymore.
-older collaborators and associates (that are still alive): Jack Rieley, David Sandler, Andy Paley, Stephan Kalinich, Don Was, Ron Altbach, Russ Titleman, Charles Lloyd, Jeff Foskett)
-more touring sidemen
-beach boy authors
-former mangers
-side project bands- Honeys, Sharon Marie, The Flame, Danny Hutton, "Bob and Bobby", Ron Wilson, etc.

Stephen Kalinich and Fred Vail (amongst others) are featured on the highly recommended Open Sky 8 DVD:

http://records2.tripod.com/opensky.html

Arguably, Danny Hutton's best interviews regarding Brian:

http://www.youtube.com/user/prismfilms1/search?query=danny+hutton

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #4628 on: January 29, 2014, 12:25:57 AM »

Thanks for the Prism films link, MFP - that's a goldmine, if not a veritable treasure trove!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 12:26:49 AM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #4629 on: January 29, 2014, 02:15:23 AM »

Was the studio version of "I Can Hear Music" sped up? Asking because all live versions I've heard are in the key of C (or even B) as opposed to the record.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #4630 on: January 29, 2014, 02:46:32 AM »

Was the studio version of "I Can Hear Music" sped up? Asking because all live versions I've heard are in the key of C (or even B) as opposed to the record.

I would say no as work done on the track is the key of D as evidenced by SOT UM, so I'm assuming (dangerous, I know) that the final track was played in the same key. Interestingly, when they appeared on Dutch TV in mid-'69 they mimed to the song in C when clearly the playback is in D  Shocked

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqyx4TW4Ptw

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4631 on: January 29, 2014, 05:07:10 AM »

-more touring sidemen
-beach boy authors
-former mangers

Stephen Kalinich and Fred Vail (amongst others) are featured on the highly recommended Open Sky 8 DVD:

http://records2.tripod.com/opensky.html

Arguably, Danny Hutton's best interviews regarding Brian:

http://www.youtube.com/user/prismfilms1/search?query=danny+hutton
That's right! Forgot about Stephan being on that one...I've got that one too.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4632 on: January 30, 2014, 01:56:33 PM »

my favourite of the dvd series is the 'darian and nicky' interviews...... a real relaxed conversation between muso's and being
involved with Brian......

Yes!!  we need more from the people that were and currently around....... the more, the betta!

RickB
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4633 on: January 30, 2014, 07:12:30 PM »

my favourite of the dvd series is the 'darian and nicky' interviews...... a real relaxed conversation between muso's and being
involved with Brian......

Yes!!  we need more from the people that were and currently around....... the more, the betta!

RickB
YEAH!
You hear that writers and others who actually have a career that has to do with the beach boys legacy (I wish I were one of them!)?

The fans have spoken.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4634 on: February 01, 2014, 12:10:28 PM »

So lately, on Brian's Facebook, they've now posted pictures of him with some Shane guy (during recording), WHO IS SHANE???!!?? I don't recognize him.

Today, they posted that some Eyad guy is in the hospital, and there's the Smile cover in the photo, wishing him good vibes to a speedy recovery, WHO IS EYAD???!!!??? I'd love to send out good vibes but I don't send them to strangers.

Is it that hard to post a last name? Then curious folk like myself can go and research who it is.
Anyone know who these mysterious people are? Or did I miss something and I'm supposed to "know" who they are?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #4635 on: February 01, 2014, 12:45:56 PM »

I would say no as work done on the track is the key of D as evidenced by SOT UM, so I'm assuming (dangerous, I know) that the final track was played in the same key. Interestingly, when they appeared on Dutch TV in mid-'69 they mimed to the song in C when clearly the playback is in D  Shocked

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqyx4TW4Ptw
Thank you!

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
RockNSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4636 on: February 01, 2014, 01:19:28 PM »

There's some great info in this thread. I have a couple of quick questions.

Who wrote 'Celebrate the News?' Brian/Mike, just Brian, or some other members of the band?

And also, who's singing backup vocals on the song 'Pacific Ocean Blues' at :49? The one guy going "bow bow now now now".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er1LsKPXLj8

These categorizations might work If it was 1963 and we were all a bunch of 12 year old girls clutching tear soaked pictures of our favourite beach boy.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4637 on: February 01, 2014, 01:21:39 PM »

Who wrote 'Celebrate the News?' Brian/Mike, just Brian, or some other members of the band?

And also, who's singing backup vocals on the song 'Pacific Ocean Blues' at :49? The one guy going "bow bow now now now".

Well, Dennis, with some help from Gregg Jakobson, wrote "Celebrate the News."

Edit: I wasn't sure who did the background vocals, but mfp's post says that it's either Alexander Hamilton or Gregg Jakobson.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 01:34:42 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #4638 on: February 01, 2014, 01:29:00 PM »

This is a fine source of everything related to Pacific Ocean Blue, including vocalists:

http://www.tiptopwebsite.com/custommusic2/craigslowinskicom2.pdf#page=1

RockNSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4639 on: February 01, 2014, 01:37:02 PM »

Oh so it was Dennis and Jakobson on Celebrate the News. Listening to it with that info now, it does sound very much like a Dennis-type song. Given how I thought it was Brian and Mike, no wonder I was confused.  LOL

And that's a cool website, too. I love Pacific Ocean Blue. Thanks metal flake paint and Bubbly Waves!

These categorizations might work If it was 1963 and we were all a bunch of 12 year old girls clutching tear soaked pictures of our favourite beach boy.

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4640 on: February 02, 2014, 12:13:24 AM »

Just a reminder that in case any of you get bored during the Super Bowl, you can switch over to Nickelodeon at 10:30 PM and watch the infamous Beach Boys episode of Full House.  Grin 

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4641 on: February 02, 2014, 01:22:28 AM »

Bellagio 10452 - "Albums" -> 20/20

Or... you could just have Googled it. 10 seconds, tops.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
RockNSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4642 on: February 02, 2014, 08:31:03 AM »

Bellagio 10452 - "Albums" -> 20/20

Or... you could just have Googled it. 10 seconds, tops.

Yeah I guess I could've Googled it, and I actually did after I asked the question, but I wanted confirmation from an expert Beach Boys fan.

I've seen your site once before I think, but I didn't think of looking there. Next time.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4643 on: February 03, 2014, 11:28:38 AM »

I was thinking about the unreleased album cover of Holland with the plug in and the black/yellow stripes...is there a story behind the cover? I don't know of any lyrics that link to it.
Was the back cover ever released? Assuming We Got Love was listed on the tracklistinh

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4644 on: February 03, 2014, 11:52:43 AM »

Huh ?  You're talking about the cover of the promo booklet Reprise put out for Holland - wherever did you get the notion it's an unused cover  for the album?  Shrug
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 11:53:39 AM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4645 on: February 03, 2014, 05:25:12 PM »

Huh ?  You're talking about the cover of the promo booklet Reprise put out for Holland - wherever did you get the notion it's an unused cover  for the album?  Shrug
Oh that's right! I remember reading that now. I forgot...I just saw that picture and was thinking it was the original cover, it was me being a moron really.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4646 on: February 05, 2014, 09:48:00 AM »

Just found this DVD listing on amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E65Q8EM/ref=s9_psimh_gw_p14_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=028C85GBJSYQ88DSM0J1&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

It's a 2012 live DVD titled "Back Again." I have never heard of it (I visit the board in infrequent spurts). I did a forum search for the words "Back Again" but nothing came up. I can't believe this is news to anyone, but why can't I find any information on it? How is it different from the other 2012 live DVD?

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4647 on: February 05, 2014, 10:17:16 AM »

Says it's an import, but doesn't say what zone.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #4648 on: February 05, 2014, 12:23:22 PM »

Says it's an import, but doesn't say what zone.

This had its own tread a while back… got the sense it was a youtube style download of a TV broadcast of one of the Japanese shows in questionable quality. Dubious grey area release. There are a few boot DVDs of the show too, if you know where to look. I've avoided thus far…

“We live in divisive times.”
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4649 on: February 05, 2014, 12:46:08 PM »

This is a fine source of everything related to Pacific Ocean Blue, including vocalists:

http://www.tiptopwebsite.com/custommusic2/craigslowinskicom2.pdf#page=1
Thanks MFP.  Had not read that before.  Very Detailed.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 183 184 185 [186] 187 188 189 190 191 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx