gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 09:48:19 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
GoodVibrations33 and 19 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 177 178 179 [180] 181 182 183 184 185 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1409484 times)
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #4475 on: November 29, 2013, 04:38:55 AM »

I would love to own MiC on vinyl. That would be a really expensive set, but it would be so great. The 4CD Sly Stone box set was released on 8 discs of vinyl.
Anyone with me?

Hell yes! Even if it was just the 'new' stuff plus rarities like Sound Of Free

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4476 on: November 29, 2013, 06:54:04 AM »

A cut down version would be awesome. Everything worth hearing like the best remasters, vault picks and whatever else, all on a couple discs.

Imagine this happens and they throw in a couple extra unreleased tracks for incentive to buy it on vinyl...

Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4477 on: November 30, 2013, 10:35:22 AM »

Was just reading this thread: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,3951.0.html

It's a really old thread but it had some pictures of Brian from 72-74 that are not available anymore. Does anyone still have these or any pics from this time period? I've seen some, but it is really rare to find pics of Brian in this time. I'd love to see any if anyone can post em.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4478 on: November 30, 2013, 09:40:33 PM »

Is it possible Brian had some sort of surgery to lose weight in 1983 under Landy? Otherwise, it would be very difficult to go from this:

to this:

in a matter of months, no?

Photo credit http://briandouglaswilson.tumblr.com/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4479 on: November 30, 2013, 11:23:53 PM »

Those pictures are about eight months apart, maybe more. Regular, constant exercise and a sensible diet will do that.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4480 on: November 30, 2013, 11:31:29 PM »

Yeah, you can lose a great deal of excess weight in that amount of time.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 11:32:39 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
RockNSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4481 on: December 01, 2013, 08:32:34 AM »

Who that one guy singing background vocals on the song 'Pacific Ocean Blue', the one with the deepish voice who's going 'ba ba ba ba' during the second verse and then repeats  "water, water" later on?

These categorizations might work If it was 1963 and we were all a bunch of 12 year old girls clutching tear soaked pictures of our favourite beach boy.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4482 on: December 01, 2013, 09:30:46 AM »

Those pictures are about eight months apart, maybe more. Regular, constant exercise and a sensible diet will do that.

True. I've lost 45 pounds since April

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4483 on: December 02, 2013, 01:41:46 AM »

True. I've lost 45 pounds since April

Awesome  Smiley

My Dad is trying to lose a bit of weight, so let's see how that goes!

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4484 on: December 03, 2013, 11:32:23 PM »

Is it possible Brian had some sort of surgery to lose weight in 1983 under Landy? Otherwise, it would be very difficult to go from this:

to this:

Does anyone know the date that this group photo was taken? I'm assuming this was the final posed studio photo session that the band took before Dennis' passing? It's difficult to look at this pic without feeling really emotional knowing about what was about to happen.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4485 on: December 04, 2013, 12:33:47 AM »

to this:

Does anyone know the date that this group photo was taken? I'm assuming this was the final posed studio photo session that the band took before Dennis' passing? It's difficult to look at this pic without feeling really emotional knowing about what was about to happen.

Even worse, I think there are versions of the picture with Dennis cropped out. I believe it winds up with a phantom hand on Brian's shoulder.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4486 on: December 05, 2013, 12:31:02 AM »

Even worse, I think there are versions of the picture with Dennis cropped out. I believe it winds up with a phantom hand on Brian's shoulder.

But that's Bruce's hand on Brian's shoulder, not Dennis'. It would quite tough to crop out Dennis as he's in front of Al. I'd say your belief is wrong in this case, it must be another picture you're thinking of.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #4487 on: December 05, 2013, 01:35:23 AM »

But that's Bruce's hand on Brian's shoulder, not Dennis'. It would quite tough to crop out Dennis as he's in front of Al. I'd say your belief is wrong in this case, it must be another picture you're thinking of.

Yeah, that's a different photo, but similar.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4488 on: December 05, 2013, 04:16:11 AM »

Photo was taken summer 1983 - maybe late spring.

Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4489 on: December 05, 2013, 11:18:31 AM »

I've got a random question.. Are the tapes lost that go to the backing track to "Hang On To Your Ego/I Know There's An Answer"? The track has a slightly different arrangement on the first two takes, lacking that distinctive organ and piano mixture on the intro as on the album version. The saxes are much more prominent and actually I love that 2nd take. Has kind of a New Orleans cajun type sound or something. There only appears to be only those 2 takes and the master take though as far as sessions that are available for that song from what I can gather. It'd be interesting to hear how Brian developed that song into what it became from take 3 onto take 12 but it doesn't seem to be available. Plus Brian seems to be in really good spirits, talking to the musicians about the album "How To Speak Hip". I never really gave Pet Sounds sessions or the SOT much of a listen until recently and never noticed this stuff.

Brian also titled this both "Let Go Of Your Ego" and "Let Go Of Your Libido" during tracking apparently which I find interesting.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 01:24:33 PM by jcjh20 » Logged
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4490 on: December 05, 2013, 12:42:07 PM »

For the album Beach Boys 85, it looks like there were 5 songs recorded in some fashion for the album, but were not released:

At The Hop
And I Always Will
Down By The Pier
Oh Lord
Water Builds Up

From these sessions, is "At The Hop" the only song that has been leaked?  Has anyone heard the others?  I know versions of everything but "Down By The Pier" are out there in a released or booted version.  Has anyone heard "Down By The Pier," and if so, what is it like?  Based on AGD's site it looks to be a Carl song.
JCarson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4491 on: December 05, 2013, 01:26:32 PM »

Sorry, I know NOTHING about mid-eighties Beach Boys and don't know if this is against Smiley Smile etiquette to jump in with a new question when the last one hasn't been answered... but here goes...

A question which has bugged me a lot since the release of the Smile Sessions box concerns Wind Chimes. In the  Mike Vosse article from Fusion magazine (dating from within a few years of the original sessions), Vosse mentions a song which sounds like the Wind Chimes we know but which had a comedy breakdown in the middle - just before the full-on vocal section.  Brian Wilson had the voices stopping and starting as he counted and re-counted them in. What is driving me mad is that I heard this version somewhere and thought the goofy Brian Wilson [trademark] humour pretty cool. I've since lost this track under the avalanche of bootlegs, fan mixes, and official releases of the last few years.

So... the questions (more than one - sorry)
1. Have I imagined this 'comedy Wind Chimes'? If not, is it an original Brian mix or some kind of out-fake? And, further, where can it be found?
2. If it is 'out there' and authentic, why wasn't it included on the Smile Sessions? (Is my memory deluding me? Is it actually a rotten pile of Californian cheese?)

Any help greatly appreciated.

I don't post much (well, hardly at all) but I visit often. It would be just my luck if these questions have been extensively examined and answered in some other thread. If so, apologies all round... and let normal service resume...
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4492 on: December 05, 2013, 01:29:26 PM »

More than a question, just a simple comment. I think Mike Love is a really fascinating figure in the history of the band. The more I read about him, the more I understand how critical he was to the many decisions made by the BBs.

I dont necessarily agree with all the choices, nor I agree with some aspects of his personality (from what I've seen/read/heard). But I cant see the BBs existing without him.

Thats it. Lovester respect  Smiley

"Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray...it might come true
Baby then there wouldn't be a single thing we couldn't do..."
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4493 on: December 05, 2013, 01:51:41 PM »

Vosse mentions a song which sounds like the Wind Chimes we know but which had a comedy breakdown in the middle - just before the full-on vocal section.  Brian Wilson had the voices stopping and starting as he counted and re-counted them in. What is driving me mad is that I heard this version somewhere and thought the goofy Brian Wilson [trademark] humour pretty cool. I've since lost this track under the avalanche of bootlegs, fan mixes, and official releases of the last few years.

I just heard the Smile Sessions SOT vol 17 set.. On disc 3 Wind Chimes is represented. On the "first vocal overdub" track for Wind Chimes, there is the part that you described, the vocals stopping and starting while Brian counts off, right before the piano tag. Haven't read about this version before and forgot about it.. I can't tell if it was intended for humor or if the rest of the guys kept getting tricked by Brian's false count offs? No idea.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 01:55:24 PM by jcjh20 » Logged
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #4494 on: December 05, 2013, 02:10:08 PM »

Vosse mentions a song which sounds like the Wind Chimes we know but which had a comedy breakdown in the middle - just before the full-on vocal section.  Brian Wilson had the voices stopping and starting as he counted and re-counted them in. What is driving me mad is that I heard this version somewhere and thought the goofy Brian Wilson [trademark] humour pretty cool. I've since lost this track under the avalanche of bootlegs, fan mixes, and official releases of the last few years.

I just heard the Smile Sessions SOT vol 17 set.. On disc 3 Wind Chimes is represented. On the "first vocal overdub" track for Wind Chimes, there is the part that you described, the vocals stopping and starting while Brian counts off, right before the piano tag. Haven't read about this version before and forgot about it.. I can't tell if it was intended for humor or if the rest of the guys kept getting tricked by Brian's false count offs? No idea.

Just sounds like them using the gap to practice to me.

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4495 on: December 06, 2013, 09:35:05 PM »

For anyone who has seen M&B recently - do they have an intermission or do they play straight through for an hour and a half?

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #4496 on: December 06, 2013, 10:41:15 PM »

More than a question, just a simple comment. I think Mike Love is a really fascinating figure in the history of the band. The more I read about him, the more I understand how critical he was to the many decisions made by the BBs.

I dont necessarily agree with all the choices, nor I agree with some aspects of his personality (from what I've seen/read/heard). But I cant see the BBs existing without him.

Thats it. Lovester respect  Smiley

Sorry , but this isn't the place for Lovester respect, this is a thread for various insignificant questions, so you need to start your own thread for various insignificant comments

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #4497 on: December 07, 2013, 07:27:39 PM »

Anyone seen this documentary?
Looks really interesting... Would love to see this footage:

http://www.michaelfeeneycallan.com/?cat=4

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4498 on: December 07, 2013, 11:46:17 PM »

For anyone who has seen M&B recently - do they have an intermission or do they play straight through for an hour and a half?

Straight through (encore breakette excepted).

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4499 on: December 08, 2013, 06:21:48 AM »

Straight through (encore breakette excepted).
Andrew - some of the US venues that I've been to, seem to have a mandatory break for this... Beer

They make a lot of dough on the bar, especially if, the venue is a community theater.  

Most of us are quite happy for the opportunity to oblige, in order to quench our parched vocal cords.  LOL   Beer

Mike artfully refers to this phenomenon/intermission as "bifurcated," after the legal term-of-art.  Wink

« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 06:22:52 AM by filledeplage » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 177 178 179 [180] 181 182 183 184 185 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx