gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680871 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 11:18:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 152 153 154 [155] 156 157 158 159 160 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1411645 times)
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3850 on: June 13, 2013, 09:08:16 AM »

Anyone know what happens to the piano in the left channel of Surf's Up at around the 4:00-4:04 mark of the Smile Sessions tracking session track?

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
JoelBarrish
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #3851 on: June 13, 2013, 09:30:44 AM »

Is there any chance we'll ever see an official reissue of The Flame record? I know it was mentioned a few years ago, I think there was even talk about including the record they recorded shortly after that one that was never released.
Paulos
« Reply #3852 on: June 13, 2013, 11:19:31 AM »

2Lowbacca: since finding this board I've noticed that you've got excellent English. You know even such rare words as "slapstick", "harken", "slick back" etc. Before I thought German people talk very bad in English. But after reading your's, Rocker's, Micha's & others' posts I totally changed my mind.

Thank you very much, but you've only read us write, not heard us talk. We're really very bad talkers. Wink 2 Nice of you!

Well I've met and spoke to you guys and your spoken English is very good indeed.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #3853 on: June 13, 2013, 11:22:52 AM »

2Lowbacca: since finding this board I've noticed that you've got excellent English. You know even such rare words as "slapstick", "harken", "slick back" etc. Before I thought German people talk very bad in English. But after reading your's, Rocker's, Micha's & others' posts I totally changed my mind.

Thank you very much, but you've only read us write, not heard us talk. We're really very bad talkers. Wink 2 Nice of you!

Well I've met and spoke to you guys and your spoken English is very good indeed.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3854 on: June 14, 2013, 12:18:20 AM »

Well, though what I wrote was attempt to be funny, thank you very much! Smiley Actually I agree with you, but I don't know whether in that aspect we're representative of Germans.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3855 on: June 14, 2013, 02:18:12 AM »

I heard I'm Waiting For the Day with Mike on lead... he sounds great on that song, probably even better than Brian. Brian's voice is a little too smooth for the song I think... hearing Mike sing it is a revelation.

Btw: how much is Caroline No sped up?

Just a half tone, I think - First chord is Em7/G rather than Fm7/G#

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #3856 on: June 14, 2013, 03:45:16 AM »

I'm going to NYC next week, are there any awesome music sites (besides strawberry fields), beach boys sites, or great record stores I should visit?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3857 on: June 14, 2013, 10:13:30 AM »

When was the last time Brian performed Surf's Up live?
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #3858 on: June 14, 2013, 10:25:01 AM »

When was the last time Brian performed Surf's Up live?
I'd say 2005. Not sure, though.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3859 on: June 14, 2013, 10:47:00 AM »

I'd say that's about right, as part of BWPS.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #3860 on: June 14, 2013, 11:28:19 AM »

What's the color of love?

Beige.
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3861 on: June 14, 2013, 08:53:39 PM »

Something you guys should be able to answer in 2 minutes after I couldn't find the answer using the search function:

Who plays what on the original backing track to "Good Timin'"?

What was excised/added to these tapes during the LA sessions, and we do know for sure who eventually sang which parts on the completed version, correct?
Al Jardine: Pick Up Artist
Smiley Smile Associate

I am an asexual walrus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3862 on: June 14, 2013, 10:59:43 PM »

Anybody really, really, really like 50 Big Ones? It's one of the best comps I own IMO.

Which song: Inappropriate relationship with sister-in-law

Which song: Gonna straight up bang you with "the wood".

Which song: Weather conditions make me horny

Which song: Lack of proper shoes leads to potential blood poisoning and death.

Which song: Who needs church? Let's do it on the couch.

Dennis: "Holy sh*t, Al, you're finally showing signs of developing facial hair!!!"
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #3863 on: June 15, 2013, 07:41:27 AM »

Anybody really, really, really like 50 Big Ones? It's one of the best comps I own IMO.
I do!

Especially disc 2!
When I heard You're So Good to Me, I finally heard Marilyn's voice on the chorus, it was amazing! Darlin and Wild Honey sound great too!

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3864 on: June 15, 2013, 01:50:48 PM »

Apologies if this has been noted/covered before, but I just listened to a broadcast of coast to am with George Noory, in which his guests are Ray and Robbie from the Doors (link below).  At about 1:12:16 George asks Robbie (Ray had left by this point) if they'd ever met the Beach Boys.  Robbie describes seeing Bruce quite often at the beach, and then states that Jim used to hang out with "The drummer, what was his name?  Carl."   Now, I assume Robbie was confused and meant Dennis, but could he have been confused about the instrument played instead?  I can't really see Carl and Jim hanging out, but I can imagine Dennis and Jim kicking it together.  He then goes on to say that "they picked up some hitch hikers while cruising, and they turned out to be Manson girls."  Again, he may be confused, but I've always heard that story as being Dennis on his own when he picked up those girls - could Jim actually have been with him?   Anyway, it's an interesting show, especially if you're a Doors fan.   Smiley

http://youtu.be/J9yCbm5ZT34
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #3865 on: June 15, 2013, 09:52:30 PM »

Picked up an USA pressing of LA (Light Album) yesterday, apologies if the followng is already covered in another thread.

The label copyright is dated 1976.  Is this an art department c-ck-up that exists on all prints; corrected at a later date; or correct and attributeable to something else? 

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
linusoli
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3866 on: June 15, 2013, 10:00:57 PM »

This is maybe a silly question, but has anybody ever compiled a definitive list of all the Beach Boys (and related) recordings that are circulating, in chronological order? Incorporating the various home recordings etc. Seems like it would be an invaluable resource!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3867 on: June 16, 2013, 12:34:04 AM »

You could make a start by using the info contained herein:

Bellagio 10452

Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3868 on: June 16, 2013, 03:23:50 AM »

This is maybe a silly question

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
linusoli
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3869 on: June 16, 2013, 09:08:24 AM »

You could make a start by using the info contained herein:

Bellagio 10452

Mr Doe, yes I'm totally aware of your amazing website and frequently use it for my research. But I've still yet to find a definitive chronological list of all the recordings, including home tapes etc. I don't feel like its such a ludicrous idea
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3870 on: June 16, 2013, 02:12:12 PM »

It's a hugely unworkable idea - this is a band who recorded over a period of 50 years across at least two continents and post 1969 had what can only be described as a slapdash approach to documenting said sessions accurately (or in some instances, at all). A truly definitive list of every single BB/related recording (home demos/studio/live) 1961-2013 is as close to impossible as makes no difference. For all its faults - and there are many - 10452 is about as good as it gets to date.

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3871 on: June 17, 2013, 12:10:10 AM »

Picked up an USA pressing of LA (Light Album) yesterday, apologies if the followng is already covered in another thread.

The label copyright is dated 1976.  Is this an art department c-ck-up that exists on all prints; corrected at a later date; or correct and attributeable to something else? 

I have no idea where mine was printed, but says correctly 1979. Probably on yours the second "9" somehow got upside down.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
over and over
Smiley Smile Associate

Help you in whatever you do

View Profile
« Reply #3872 on: June 17, 2013, 10:16:04 PM »

(Listening to "Still I Dream Of It")

Comment

Brian Wilson is the greatest songwriter of all time, I hope the world knows that.

"Give me a break, I'm trying something new." - Brian Wilson
Al Jardine: Pick Up Artist
Smiley Smile Associate

I am an asexual walrus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3873 on: June 18, 2013, 02:07:15 PM »

Why hasn't California Role been used in a tourism commercial?

Which song: Inappropriate relationship with sister-in-law

Which song: Gonna straight up bang you with "the wood".

Which song: Weather conditions make me horny

Which song: Lack of proper shoes leads to potential blood poisoning and death.

Which song: Who needs church? Let's do it on the couch.

Dennis: "Holy sh*t, Al, you're finally showing signs of developing facial hair!!!"
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #3874 on: June 18, 2013, 03:17:57 PM »

I have no idea where mine was printed, but says correctly 1979. Probably on yours the second "9" somehow got upside down.

Micha, thanks for the response, much appreciated! - A

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 152 153 154 [155] 156 157 158 159 160 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx