gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680877 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 12:36:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 150 151 152 [153] 154 155 156 157 158 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1411861 times)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3800 on: May 26, 2013, 03:59:35 PM »

IDG that argument though, like are you saying why hire him (dude is ridiculously talented) or why let him play all the time (dude is ridiculously talented + I'd rather hear flute solos than noodly guitar crap over those songs any day of the week). It's like saying 'why hire a horn section because they never put horns on Good Vibrations', I guess?
I'd rather not have long unnecessary solos on any instrument. I could see if it was Pink Floyd or a jazz orchestra or something, but The Beach Boys?

But Charles Lloyd is a really talented dude on his instrument, go on and spotify his latest! I just really like listening to him play, as he's quite inventive and keeps it really fresh - it's a question of the perceived quality of the solo, I suppose. Besides, we're talking Brian Wilson's music here, the dude put theremins and cellos on a #1 single!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3801 on: May 26, 2013, 04:27:26 PM »

Bruce Johnston was name-checked on a recent episode of 'Have I Got News for You' (popular British panel show). Actor Robert Lindsay mistakenly called London mayor Boris Johnson "Bruce Johnson", and panelist Paul Merton picked up on the Beach Boy reference (must be a fan).
zachrwolfe
« Reply #3802 on: May 26, 2013, 04:39:39 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:08:29 PM by zatch » Logged
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3803 on: May 26, 2013, 05:45:12 PM »

Who's voice is it in "With Me Tonight" that says "good"?  Sounds like it could be Murry Wilson.

LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3804 on: May 26, 2013, 06:11:01 PM »

Who's voice is it in "With Me Tonight" that says "good"?  Sounds like it could be Murry Wilson.
Arnie Geller.  There is a Capitol promo interview with Brian done in '67 (and widely circulated) where he says so.

Lee
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 06:13:37 PM by LeeDempsey » Logged
Al Jardine: Pick Up Artist
Smiley Smile Associate

I am an asexual walrus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3805 on: May 26, 2013, 06:45:05 PM »

Am I alone that Brian when he was younger sounded a little bit like Kermit the frog?  When he talked I mean.  I'm listening to the Smile sessions and I can't help but picture Kermit the frog every time Brian speaks.  Personally I think it adds to the listening experience.

I don't get that at all, but oh my god you guys.

Listen to Airplane. Now imagine Kermit the Frog singing it. Now you will never hear it otherwise.

Which song: Inappropriate relationship with sister-in-law

Which song: Gonna straight up bang you with "the wood".

Which song: Weather conditions make me horny

Which song: Lack of proper shoes leads to potential blood poisoning and death.

Which song: Who needs church? Let's do it on the couch.

Dennis: "Holy sh*t, Al, you're finally showing signs of developing facial hair!!!"
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3806 on: May 27, 2013, 11:46:25 PM »

Am I alone that Brian when he was younger sounded a little bit like Kermit the frog?  When he talked I mean.  I'm listening to the Smile sessions and I can't help but picture Kermit the frog every time Brian speaks.  Personally I think it adds to the listening experience.

I don't get that at all, but oh my god you guys.

Listen to Airplane. Now imagine Kermit the Frog singing it. Now you will never hear it otherwise.

In Germany, where American movies and TV series are dubbed into German, the same guy who does Kermit is also the standard voice of David Hasselhoff.

Now imagine David Hasselhoff singing Airplane. (I won't! Wink 2)

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3807 on: May 28, 2013, 05:59:21 AM »

Who's voice is it in "With Me Tonight" that says "good"?  Sounds like it could be Murry Wilson.
Arnie Geller.  There is a Capitol promo interview with Brian done in '67 (and widely circulated) where he says so.

Lee

Also and further... it was spliced in later, and not a serendipitous accident as long assumed. That crashing sound ? Another BB myth...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3808 on: May 28, 2013, 06:03:34 AM »

I was reading one of the last Add Some Music issues which had an interview about the Honeys Ecstacy album, and the interview was conducted by none other than our own Andrew G Doe…anyways, he was interviewing someone behind the scenes and he mentioned that they recorded a newer version of The One You Can't Have" for the album but they didn't like their vocals, so it was cut from the album and he said it may be a b-side one day, but of course I'm sure that never happened.

Anyways, has anyone ever heard this rumored outtake from the album? I'd be I retested I hearing it, it's prolly light years better than half that album! Wink

Yes I have - used to have it, but the tapes were lost about a year ago - and no, it's not very good: done in a rockabilly style.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #3809 on: May 28, 2013, 08:40:20 AM »

Lee

To make it easy:  http://www.sendspace.com/file/thvp1h

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #3810 on: May 28, 2013, 08:52:02 AM »

I was reading one of the last Add Some Music issues which had an interview about the Honeys Ecstacy album, and the interview was conducted by none other than our own Andrew G Doe…anyways, he was interviewing someone behind the scenes and he mentioned that they recorded a newer version of The One You Can't Have" for the album but they didn't like their vocals, so it was cut from the album and he said it may be a b-side one day, but of course I'm sure that never happened.

Anyways, has anyone ever heard this rumored outtake from the album? I'd be I retested I hearing it, it's prolly light years better than half that album! Wink
When you say Rockabilly, in honeys style, I think of their cover of Don't Be Cruel.
Yes I have - used to have it, but the tapes were lost about a year ago - and no, it's not very good: done in a rockabilly style.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
modestmaus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3811 on: May 29, 2013, 06:14:29 AM »

So how high or slim are the chances that Brian Wilson will go the re-recordings of hit songs with various celebrities route like Davies, Fogerty, etc. have done?

I say it's pretty inevitable. Brian's people are probably in the middle of planning such an album as I write this, actually.  Two that I highly expect to see: "I'd Love Just Once To See You" featuring Britney Spears and "Hey Little Tomboy" featuring Marilyn Manson.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3812 on: May 29, 2013, 05:15:28 PM »

Is Brian's quoting of I Wanna Be Around in Smile either a) an affectionate quoting of a classic chord sequence bringing 60's pop back to that kind of ballad writing, if you take the lyrics away, like in the Smile era b) deliberately misreading the song for the use of its first line, which is affectionate devoid of context and ignoring that the song gets really nasty afterwards? Like on BWPS c) Brian wanted to quote a song that 'wants to be on a front row seat when somebody breaks your heart like mine'.

It's an odd one - of all the romantic ballads of Tin Pan Alley, why this one? Wondering if anyone had an idea - if I Wanna Be Around/Workshop was declared a master in 1966/1967 I guess this is a moot point as lyrics weren't relevant?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 05:18:11 PM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3813 on: May 30, 2013, 01:01:09 AM »

As VDP used a lot of quotes (or quite a few, let's not debate on how many there are, there are some) in his lyrics, Brians seems to have decided to use musical quotes. OMP, YAMS, IWBA, the little bit in Look that's a quote from some rag I believe... Why he used IWBA, I'm without a clue.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #3814 on: May 30, 2013, 12:08:10 PM »

By my reckoning, there were remastered Pet Sounds CDs issued in 1990, 1997, 2001, 2006 (I think this was the DVD-audio) and in 2012.  (And of course Brian’s live version.)

Which one of these do you prefer and why?

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3815 on: May 30, 2013, 12:30:57 PM »

By my reckoning, there were remastered Pet Sounds CDs issued in 1990, 1997, 2001, 2006 (I think this was the DVD-audio) and in 2012.  (And of course Brian’s live version.)

Which one of these do you prefer and why?

Honestly, none of the mono releases sound that great to me. I would highly recommend finding Hoffman's 1993 DCC or his 2009 Audio Fidelity releases.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3816 on: May 30, 2013, 06:50:03 PM »

http://www.uproxx.com/music/2011/10/awesome-people-hanging-out-with-george-harrison/#page/24
What the hell? that's not Dennis, is it???!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #3817 on: May 30, 2013, 07:40:40 PM »

Those eyes, not DW's eyes

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #3818 on: May 30, 2013, 07:46:01 PM »

Looks more like Glenn Frey.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #3819 on: May 30, 2013, 07:52:53 PM »

That's not Dennis Wilson. Thud
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3820 on: May 30, 2013, 07:56:06 PM »

Haha so that info is only based on one commentary, how could you be so easily fooled?
well i mostly wonder how could that guy in the comments even think it would be Dennis, even a brief google image search would be enough to prove it haha, oh well, that was weird.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #3821 on: May 31, 2013, 12:06:10 PM »

This, and also I don't recall Dennis having such hairstyle, let alone wearing a cap.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3822 on: June 06, 2013, 04:28:02 PM »

I heard I'm Waiting For the Day with Mike on lead... he sounds great on that song, probably even better than Brian. Brian's voice is a little too smooth for the song I think... hearing Mike sing it is a revelation.

Btw: how much is Caroline No sped up?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 04:40:06 PM by Miss Amanda Jones » Logged
mathen_
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3823 on: June 07, 2013, 11:35:22 AM »

oh God! I just wanted to share my indignation with you http://www.ebay.com/itm/URBAN-ART-RECORD-ALBUM-TOTE-THE-BEACH-BOYS-SMILEY-SMILE-/111091946015?pt=US_CSA_WH_Handbags&hash=item19dd98921f how could someone be able to do this with smiley smile?  Sad
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3824 on: June 07, 2013, 03:03:05 PM »

Anton Fig and Brian Wilson vocal track from 2004: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/brian-wilson-vocal-track/id18243465?i=18243448

Does anyone have any information on this track?? It's friggin beautiful.

Edit: Nevermind, found it was from 'Hands on My Shoulder'
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 03:06:49 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 150 151 152 [153] 154 155 156 157 158 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx