gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:33:48 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray, sloopjohnb72 and 43 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399178 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: March 14, 2010, 02:28:40 PM »

Does this kid have a future in comedy or just seen the EH doco?

...Once I caught Timmy’s reflection in the van’s rear-view mirror. There he was, buckled into his booster seat, holding his nose as he sang along with “409.” When I asked him why he was holding his nose, he explained that it was so he sounded more like the Beach Boys guy.... Grin

http://www.patriotledger.com/lifestyle/x1664756389/JUST-A-MINUTE-Help-me-get-em-outa-my-head
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 14, 2010, 08:41:36 PM »

Is All I Wanna Do considered partially a TM song?   

Maybe a love/TM inspired song?

Never thought it was until I saw it on the Endless Harmony doc. when discussing Mike's TM endorsement.

I've wondered this myself. In that doc they even show footage of Mike meditating/walking in the forest with "All I Wanna Do" playing. Maybe it's just because it was a very peaceful cut.

But I'm inclined to think it is slightly TM inspired. Especially the "oooh when I sit and close my eyes/a gentle thought comes in my mind/my love is burning brightly/the (?) moon and stars shine nightly".

I've also been kind of confused as to what "kind" of love song this is. Romantic, platonic? Some of it sounds like something a parent could say to a child ("help you in whatever you do") and some of it sounds romantic (Carl's wonderful "lonely in the night I feel"). Either way it's sorely underappreciated. Could've been a classic love song everyone knows in my opinion. Classic Brian and Mike song--it's like the psychedelic version of "Please Let Me Wonder," in sound and gentle sentiment.

I completely agree

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 17, 2010, 08:48:44 PM »

OK, here's a question. Did Brian or Van Dyke Parks actually do "research" when writing the lyrics for SMiLE songs? You know, the whole Americana and history of the time period, etc. Here's a question I haven't seen asked anywhere: Did the story told in the song Heroes and Villains actually happen? You know, the lyrics about the shoot out. "She was right in the rain(reign?) of the bullets that eventually brought her down".  
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 08:54:34 PM by Jay » Logged

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 17, 2010, 08:56:31 PM »

I think rain is correct, with the evidence of the Smile illustrations showing the 'rain of bullets'

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 17, 2010, 09:05:13 PM »

Anyone feel the Summer Days album is missing a ballad? I know the how ordeal over Capitol getting made about the 2nd side to Today! but really, I feel like Sandy (she needs me) was the only potential slow type song....Let Him Run Wild is a great Bacharach tribute, complaining about another lover, I must say  Grin

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 18, 2010, 01:25:43 PM »

What was the plan to release the song: Brian's Back? Was it going to be on 15 Big Ones? I honestly don't think it makes sense to put it on any other album....as Mike wants it to be on Unleash the Love/Mike Love Not War

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #231 on: March 18, 2010, 01:40:14 PM »

What was the plan to release the song: Brian's Back? Was it going to be on 15 Big Ones? I honestly don't think it makes sense to put it on any other album....as Mike wants it to be on Unleash the Love/Mike Love Not War

"Brian's Back" was first attempted during the Florida L. A. sessions (by the band), then again during the First Love sessions later in 1978.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: March 18, 2010, 01:45:36 PM »

really? so just the phrase Brian's Back was the only campaign thing goin on in 1976, no song or anything? I have been mistaken for so long.    Roll Eyes

~post of the century~
-Mikie

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #233 on: March 19, 2010, 10:09:19 PM »

I had been reading an article on backmasking and wondered if there were ever any instances of backmasking in Beach Boys music?  

If you play GIOMH backwards, you hear Brian softly say "I'm really fuckin' sorry" over and over...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #234 on: March 19, 2010, 10:11:30 PM »

really? so just the phrase Brian's Back was the only campaign thing goin on in 1976, no song or anything? I have been mistaken for so long.    Roll Eyes

Yet ANOTHER BB myth busted.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: March 20, 2010, 11:59:54 AM »

I had been reading an article on backmasking and wondered if there were ever any instances of backmasking in Beach Boys music?  

If you play GIOMH backwards, you hear Brian softly say "I'm really fuckin' sorry" over and over...

laugh
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: March 22, 2010, 01:20:25 PM »

Yet ANOTHER BB myth busted.

Was anyone else mistaken for this as well?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #237 on: March 22, 2010, 02:23:31 PM »

Yeah...I was for YEARS.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: March 22, 2010, 07:52:17 PM »

I have another random question that has always bugged me. What's up with the heavy echo effects on the version of Good Vibrations from their Ed Sullivan show appearence? Is there any recording of the song from that show without those effects? It has always bugged the hell out of me.  LOL

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: March 23, 2010, 10:41:33 AM »

I wanna say a rehearsal of that is on the Endless Harmony soundtrack, but I could be way off.

and BTW, I have a separate, what's with the BB tune: Over the Waves/Carnival? 
What were their intentions on this recording?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: March 25, 2010, 07:18:45 PM »

I have a couple questions for a piece I am writing:

Where did Brian typically do mastering of albums?

I am looking for any info I can find on "Brother Julius", who supposedly was the janitor at Western Studios, and lived in a nearby bungalow.  Thus far I've had no success, any suggestions?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #241 on: March 25, 2010, 10:52:18 PM »

I have a couple questions for a piece I am writing:

Where did Brian typically do mastering of albums?

I am looking for any info I can find on "Brother Julius", who supposedly was the janitor at Western Studios, and lived in a nearby bungalow.  Thus far I've had no success, any suggestions?

Gold Star, not Western - Spector named a B side after him. This is the best I could find at 5.55am (Hal Blaine):

"I’ve always maintained that one guy doesn’t make a record. Phil Spector alone never made a great record. He made great records with all these people. Brother Julius, the little black man who used to clean up, he was part of that recording scene. Brother Julius must have been sixty-five or seventy years old, he’d sweep up the studio at Gold Star. Brother J. We’d give him money all the time. He used to come in and make suggestions like, “Hey, Mr. Spector, you sure is doing it!” “Hey, Hal, git those drums bigger!”

And of course, Brian also got him to do the fire in a bucket for the "Fire" session.

As for mastering the albums, 1962-69, at Capitol. Thereafter, I know Steve Desper favored Artisan Sounds.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 10:58:20 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 26, 2010, 01:00:35 AM »

OK, what's up with this story from Gary Usher on the making of "In My Room"? Brian, who I'm guessing was 19-20 at the time and had already released a couple of top 10 records, still lived at his dad's AND had a midnight curfew? What's going on with that?
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 26, 2010, 10:07:22 AM »

Gold Star, not Western - Spector named a B side after him. This is the best I could find at 5.55am (Hal Blaine):

"I’ve always maintained that one guy doesn’t make a record. Phil Spector alone never made a great record. He made great records with all these people. Brother Julius, the little black man who used to clean up, he was part of that recording scene. Brother Julius must have been sixty-five or seventy years old, he’d sweep up the studio at Gold Star. Brother J. We’d give him money all the time. He used to come in and make suggestions like, “Hey, Mr. Spector, you sure is doing it!” “Hey, Hal, git those drums bigger!”

And of course, Brian also got him to do the fire in a bucket for the "Fire" session.

As for mastering the albums, 1962-69, at Capitol. Thereafter, I know Steve Desper favored Artisan Sounds.

Thanks AGD.  Where did you find the quote about Brother J. and Spector?  Very interesting. 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #244 on: March 26, 2010, 12:03:39 PM »

Thanks AGD.  Where did you find the quote about Brother J. and Spector?  Very interesting.  

Google is a wonderful invention.  Grin

Here - http://www.reasontorock.com/artists/phil_spector.html.

Also:

He also apparently sold Jack Nitzsche's car after a session lasted two days !
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 12:18:48 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 26, 2010, 12:22:33 PM »

Google is a wonderful invention.  Grin

Here - http://www.reasontorock.com/artists/phil_spector.html.

Also:

I got it now that I know it was Goldstar, had thought it was Western, which didn't turn up anything with that search.   Thanks again, it's pretty cool cos I even found a picture of Brother Julius!  Smiley
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 28, 2010, 03:42:50 PM »

What's up with Brian's management taking down all of his solo songs that are posted on YouTube except for BWPS? Any BW88, Imagination, What I Really Want For Christmas, or Gettin' In Over My Head songs are immediately removed for copyright violations, but you can always find BWPS on there. You can find some TLOS songs, too. Is BW's management trying to make us forget about most of his solo career? Or is it bitterness over those albums not selling enough? What is it?
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 29, 2010, 06:57:19 PM »

1) When a recording session was finished for the day (but more recording was to be done later), what would happen with the tapes?  Would they stay at the recording studio, go to Capitol and taken out again at the time of the next session, or would the artist hang on to them (e.g. take them home)?

2) was there ever any record keeping done for acetates that were made (i.e. who made acetates of what, and where, when and for whom)?

3)  what was the bands (mostly Al and Mike?) problem exactly with Hang On To Your Ego?  The only thing changed was the chorus [edit: and one verse line], why?  was it just they didn't like the sentiment?  Was it too negative?   What exactly does the chorus mean?  Listening to this song again it seemed to me that it could have been a song about Brian's relationship with the other Beach Boys (Murray too), and that maybe they knew this and didn't like it, but then why not change all the words?  Whose ego is it anyway?  Is Brian talking to someone else (whether it's the Beach Boys or somebody other) or to himself when he's saying "hang on to your ego"?

I have a lot more questions, but I'll leave at this for now.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 08:28:15 PM by Paul » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 29, 2010, 07:10:45 PM »

Huh? Hang On To Your Ego has completely different lyrics than I Know There's An Answer.

OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 29, 2010, 08:19:03 PM »

Huh? Hang On To Your Ego has completely different lyrics than I Know There's An Answer.

Not all that different in the verses.  The "how can i come on when I know I'm guilty" was changed to "How can I come on and tell them the way that live could be better" but the rest is the same (verse wise).
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx