gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681011 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 03:45:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thanks Rolling Stone  (Read 11793 times)
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 19, 2009, 04:20:10 PM »

What a nice tribute to the Beach Boys by highlighting the Hall of Fame nonsense, right along with a nice photo of the Lovester. I needed to be more brought up to date on what actually happened that night. Time has not been kind over this sour note in their history and perhaps Carl was right saying what he did afterwards.
Destroyer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 04:50:05 PM »

The speech (cut & paste job from online):

"And I think it's wonderful to be here tonight, but I also think it's sad that there are other people who aren't here tonight. And, uh, those are the people who have passed away, those are the obvious ones. But the other not-so-obvious ones are people like Paul McCartney, who couldn't be here tonight because he's in a lawsuit with Ringo and Yoko. That's what he sent a telegram to some, uh, high priced attorney in this room, you know."

"And that's a bummer, because we're talking about harmony, right, and the world. If we can't get it together in America and in England, and harmony within our groups. I mean, believe it, you can believe it. The Beach Boys have their own 'interstescene' (not sure what Mike is trying to say here, and neither does Mike) or whatever you call it, squabbles. But that's a bummer when Ms. Ross can't make it, you know?" (referring to Diana Ross, who was having legal battles with the other 2 members of The Supremes.)

"The Beach Boys have continued to do, about, we did about 180 performances last year. I'd like to see the Mop-Tops match that! I'd like to see Mick Jagger get out on this stage and do I Get Around versus Jumpin' Jack Flash, any day now. And I'd like to see some people kick out the jams, and I challenge the Boss to get up on stage and jam." (during Mike's pause, someone in the house band plays the theremin line of "Good Vibrations" during the crowd's tepid response.)

"I wanna see Billy Joel, see if he can still tickle ivories, lemmee see. I know Mick Jagger won't be here tonight, he's gonna have to stay in England. But I'd like to see us in the Coliseum and he at Wembley Stadium because he's always been chickenshit to get on stage with the Beach Boys."

http://www.areuonsomething.com/love_comments.html
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 05:03:30 PM »

I for one would love to see video of this.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 05:41:57 PM »

Trust me, it is not pretty. If Carl's looks could kill, Mike would have been in a pile. And Paul Shaffer, talk about starting up the band real quick!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 06:09:15 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIV7uaTqOYs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCOomdm24hU&feature=related

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 12:26:39 AM »

eeeeeooouch  LOL

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 01:09:39 AM »

Have to say I absolutely love it.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 01:14:43 PM »

The Beach Boys have their own 'interstescene' (not sure what Mike is trying to say here, and neither does Mike) or whatever you call it, squabbles.

Think he meant 'internecine', meaning of or involving conflict within a group or organization.

Oh, and 180 performances in 1987 ?  Not quite... but 140+ is still impressive.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 01:18:59 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 01:28:13 PM »

Didn't he also challenge the MC5 to a fight ("Let's kick out the jams!")? And Elton John was pissed that Love didn't mention him!!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 01:42:25 PM »

Ya know, it was lame that all those lawsuits were going around at that time and those certain individuals decided not to show up, and it DID put a damper on the harmony aspect of the whole event. On that, Mike did have a point. He's Mike, sure, so it came out whacked, but at least someone had the nerve to say something.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 01:43:17 PM by erikdavid5000 » Logged
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 02:56:29 PM »

I think Mike had an interesting idea for a speech, but it was poorly worded, causing an extremely awkward moment. So much so, that we're still discussing it all these years later. Sorry, Mike.  LOL
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009, 03:59:04 PM »

But if he was to have gotten up there and made a proper, fawning, tactful speech, he wouldn't be Mike and we'd probably dislike him even more!!! Mike being nice seems to be taken with even more cynicism than him being a bastard!
oldsurferdude
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 06:20:46 PM »

His delivery both in text and manner was a bomb much like his solo recording career. And if anyone had any doubts about  this guy whether it be the serious or the casual observer, they were fairly put to rest with yet another episode of the Lovester's inane view of the state of rock and roll-Mr. Positivity for sure. Wall
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009, 07:33:20 PM »

I've said it once and i'll say it again.....

if you want to call out a band for being terrible showmen, you couldn't pick worse targets then Bruce Springsteen and the Rolling fucking Stones....  Tongue

Wilsonista
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2009, 09:24:06 PM »

Ya know, it was lame that all those lawsuits were going around at that time and those certain individuals decided not to show up, and it DID put a damper on the harmony aspect of the whole event. On that, Mike did have a point. He's Mike, sure, so it came out whacked, but at least someone had the nerve to say something.

An award show was the least appropriate arena for that outburst. I read the sidebar in Rolling Stone which has quotes from Jeff Foskett who  was with the BB that night. If anyone thinks that Mike's rant was "no big deal", let me relate an incident that Foskett told RS. Carl gave Foskett his award after the ceremony and said "our career's over."   You don't spend your entire career kissing the elite's ass and then piss them off. This was Mike being a petty ass, not the Sex Pistols refusing their awards and not showing up.
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2009, 10:42:01 PM »

That's what I meant about Carl being right saying what he did after the fiasco.
MBE
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2009, 11:54:34 PM »

It's only rock and roll folks and I remember being as angry as Mike when Paul didn't show. Should Mike have said something? Well he was the only one being real. He explained later that he felt the industry had the wrong values and that the no shows pissed him off. The problem was that Mike went on way too long and said Mick Jagger wouldn't show up when he was standing a few feet away. If he hadn't been fasting maybe he could have done something that would have goten his point across without making him look foolish.
Today it's just good comedy and no one was really hurt by it for long.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2009, 12:20:20 AM »

It's only rock and roll folks and I remember being as angry as Mike when Paul didn't show. Should Mike have said something? Well he was the only one being real. He explained later that he felt the industry had the wrong values and that the no shows pissed him off. The problem was that Mike went on way too long and said Mick Jagger wouldn't show up when he was standing a few feet away. If he hadn't been fasting maybe he could have done something that would have goten his point across without making him look foolish.
Although I understand the anger towards Mike for this incident, I can kind of see where he's coming from. I was only about four or five when it happened, so I don't remember it as it happened. But as a twenty four year old today, it pisses me off that Paul McCartney let petty lawsuits and fighting get in the way of things. He had a chance to bask in the glory of what was "The Beatles" with his surviving bandmates and "friends". He blew it. If anything, he should have done it for John, but that's another can of worms. What pisses me off is that he could have played with George and Ringo one last time. But he didn't, and George died before they could have reunited. Not that they would have, but you know what I mean. John Fogerty did the same with snubbing his bandmates, and a member of CCR died before they could stop fighting like two year olds, and play a kick ass concert. Thank God Led Zeppelin had the presence of mind to go out on a high note, so to speak.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2009, 12:28:58 AM »

Um -- they did play together one last time. A few last times, actually. Only it was in the studio, not in front of people. And it was George who walked out that time.

It's very easy to rag on folks for things like this, but for goodness' sake -- rock stars are people too. Irritable, short-sighted and human. And it's human to carry grudges and do things that others might not like. Why does John Fogerty or Paul McCartney -- or Brian Wilson, for that matter -- owe us some sort of reunion? They were who they were, they are who they are now.

If it's just for one night, etc., etc., why not do it, right? Well, if it's for just one night, then why bother?
MBE
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2009, 05:18:06 AM »

Nobody owes us a thing, and lord knows Mike (and Brian) have been petty but that night as a 11 year old Beatlemainic I was very let down by McCartney's actions. His actions really were a turn off to me.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2009, 06:51:07 AM »

Well, they had a #1 hit the next year. Carl wasn't that right.  Smiley

I really doubt this single ocurrence was, is or will be relevant for anyone to make them like or dislike the band.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Wilsonista
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2009, 09:47:32 AM »

{/quote]

The failures of Kokomo's followup singles were directly blamed on Mike's rant.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2009, 10:18:38 AM »

Re: the Macca thing, I found it very surprising watching the events on  the new (great!) DVD that George made a point to say "we all love Paul." It would've been very shocking to have Paul, George and Ringo all in the same room. Sadly the only time that happened was Linda's funeral.

I always really winced at Mike's speech and disliked him for it, but I don't think it really caused that much damage. Robmac, is it really true that the post-"Kokomo" singles were not successfull because of the Love speech. Personally, with the exception of "Japan," I though it was due to lack of quality.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2009, 11:20:58 AM »

The failures of Kokomo's followup singles were directly blamed on Mike's rant.

Bit of a problem with the chronology, there. Thus:

HoF induction - January 20th 1988

"Kokomo" released - July 18th 1988

"Kokomo" charts - September 3th 1988

"Kokomo" hits #1 - November 5th 1988

"Still Cruisin''" released - August 7th 1989

"Somewhere Near Japan" released - September 1989

Sorry, but it doesn't fly, Wilbur.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Wilsonista
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2009, 11:39:46 AM »

Take that up with David Beard and ESQ, because that's where I read it, Wilbur.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx