gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680752 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 02:17:45 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BEACH BOYS ARCHIVE INCLUDES 1972 CARNEGIE HALL TAPES  (Read 29150 times)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2009, 09:16:24 AM »

Based on a contemporaneous review of this show and photos I've seen from other November '72 shows, the band's lineup was ten people:  Dennis (vocals/piano/electric piano/organ/synth), Carl (vocals/guitar/electric piano), Mike (vocals/tambourine/theremin), Alan (vocals/guitar), Blondie (vocals/guitar/bass/tambourine), Ricky (vocals/drums/flute/pedal steel guitar), and four side-people:  Toni Tennille (piano/electric piano), Daryl Dragon (organ/synth/piano/vibes), Ed Carter (bass/guitar/congas), and a percussionist on drums/timbales/tambourine/sleighbells/bass (Dennis Dragon told me he doesn't play bass, but since Mike Kowalski does, it was likely him).  Dennis (Wilson) sang lead on "Rhonda" and he sang Bruce's parts on "Wonderful" and "God Only Knows".  Al MAYBE played banjo on "California Saga" (as he would later), but it doesn't really sound like it here.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 12:57:23 PM by c-man » Logged
PrayForSurf
Smiley Smile Associate

Pray For Surf is blogged by Phil Miglioratti

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2009, 06:50:15 PM »

I waiting for the day when each official Beach Boys album will be released as a set:

•The original released recording
•Digital stereo mixes
•Studio: Takes (and mis-takes!)
•Concerts: Live versions from that time period
•Media: TV, Video clips, live interviews (audio or audio and video)
•Print: Still photos and articles/interviews

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2009, 04:30:39 AM »

As much as I would like to hear this concert in full, I hate that they make such a big deal about Dennis Wilson's contribution to the live act - yet this release would contain barely a trace of that. Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but when will we ever get to hear properly recorded and mastered live 70's performances of Surf's Up, Forever, Barbara, Disney Girls, Feel Flows, River Song, Big Sur, Cool Cool Water, Cuddle Up, Don't Talk etc.?

Say wha?  Shocked

Plus, on a separate note, there must be a live recording of 'I've Got A Friend' in the archives somewhere - It was regularly done in 72, amirite?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
pmugghc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2009, 05:45:24 AM »

Yes yes please, I would love 'I've Got A Friend'!  How about including it (and the other rare live tracks) as a bonus on the Carnegie set ?
Sciencefriction
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2009, 01:07:15 PM »

Does this mean that maybe a wave of "new" releases are in our future? 
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2009, 09:51:54 PM »

Does this mean that maybe a wave of "new" releases are in our future? 

I'd definitely paddle out into the lineup to catch THAT "wave". Hardy har har.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2009, 09:58:55 PM »

As much as I would like to hear this concert in full, I hate that they make such a big deal about Dennis Wilson's contribution to the live act - yet this release would contain barely a trace of that. Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but when will we ever get to hear properly recorded and mastered live 70's performances of Surf's Up, Forever, Barbara, Disney Girls, Feel Flows, River Song, Big Sur, Cool Cool Water, Cuddle Up, Don't Talk etc.?

Say wha?  Shocked

Plus, on a separate note, there must be a live recording of 'I've Got A Friend' in the archives somewhere - It was regularly done in 72, amirite?

Don't Talk was included in several Spring '74 shows.  On a related note, I'm Waiting For The Day was included in several Fall '74 shows.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2009, 10:41:28 PM »

I have heard  Don't Talk, very haunting vocal by Carl, although I like Warmth of the Sun from the same period with the Carl lead and it sounds like Al on the high harmony is even more spectular to my ears. Waiting for The Day which I have always loved anyway with Billy H and Al on lead is also excellent!
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2009, 01:14:01 AM »

Missed this article/discussion while I was out of town for the weekend.  Wow, great news!  Something to look forward to for sure!
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2009, 08:51:00 AM »

Alan Boyd and producer/engineer Mark Linett -- has recently collected all of the known elements of the band's unfinished 1967 album Smile...

Hmm.  What's this unfinished 1967 SMiLE album all about?

Sounds kind of interesting...

...anyone else hear about this?

3D

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2009, 08:54:36 AM »

I'M READY TO PURCHASE.  Just give me a couple of weeks to recover from repurchasing the Beatles catalogue. Roll Eyes
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2009, 09:23:30 AM »

Alan Boyd and producer/engineer Mark Linett -- has recently collected all of the known elements of the band's unfinished 1967 album Smile...

3D

Easy. Take our Masonic code book. You know: the one. That no one outside knows. Open it. Choose only the pages that carry prime numbers. Take only the lines on those pages that correspond with the Fibonacci series: 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5... you know the score. Now, take every odd letter in those lines. Make a string of all the letters you will find in the Secret Book in this way, spaces are defined by 'ii'. Memorize the appearing message very carefully. Ring the Secret Number. You will get an answering machine. Speak the message after the bleep, very carefully articulated.  You will be called back. Mr. Billy Castillo will tell you the details of a certain bank safe locker, and how get the safe opened by an employee, who will respond only to a secret word. If you do that wrong, said employee will shoot you. If you do it right, he will open the safe and hand the whole SMiLE story over to you, in three book volumes spanning 5,000 pages. They will self-destuct after two hours, having been exposed to open air is the irreversible route to their disintegration. The case in the locker also contains 10 precious acetates. These even have a shorter lifespan after the opening procedure, namely 30 minutes. It is up to you to bring them to the Steve Hoffmann Mastering Labs.

Good Luck!

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2009, 07:39:17 PM »

3D

Easy. Take our Masonic code book. You know: the one. That no one outside knows. Open it. Choose only the pages that carry prime numbers. Take only the lines on those pages that correspond with the Fibonacci series: 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5... you know the score. Now, take every odd letter in those lines. Make a string of all the letters you will find in the Secret Book in this way, spaces are defined by 'ii'. Memorize the appearing message very carefully. Ring the Secret Number. You will get an answering machine. Speak the message after the bleep, very carefully articulated.  You will be called back. Mr. Billy Castillo will tell you the details of a certain bank safe locker, and how get the safe opened by an employee, who will respond only to a secret word. If you do that wrong, said employee will shoot you. If you do it right, he will open the safe and hand the whole SMiLE story over to you, in three book volumes spanning 5,000 pages. They will self-destuct after two hours, having been exposed to open air is the irreversible route to their disintegration. The case in the locker also contains 10 precious acetates. These even have a shorter lifespan after the opening procedure, namely 30 minutes. It is up to you to bring them to the Steve Hoffmann Mastering Labs.

Good Luck!
How long did it take you to think all of that up?  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2009, 12:53:47 AM »

3D

Good Luck!
How long did it take you to think all of that up?  Grin

LOL Cheers for that! I guess three minutes. I have what is called a hyperactive language center. So I only thought about 'Mission Impossible' (the TV series) for two seconds, and presto! the story unfolded...

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2009, 03:20:48 AM »

I have heard  Don't Talk, very haunting vocal by Carl, although I like Warmth of the Sun from the same period with the Carl lead and it sounds like Al on the high harmony is even more spectular to my ears. Waiting for The Day which I have always loved anyway with Billy H and Al on lead is also excellent!

Those sound brilliant! I need to go shoe hunting, it seems  Wink 2

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
MBE
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2011, 04:19:13 AM »

The half that's going around is a great show. Only the tuneups and the 1964 oldies were below par.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2011, 04:22:29 AM »

Gosh, bumping old threads sure is weird. I had totally forgotten about my posts here... did I really write that?

Stone brilliance.

MBE
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2011, 05:11:31 AM »

I bumped it because we are now getting the Smile tape also I think it's a great show that I want to see further discussed.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2011, 05:14:18 AM »

I bumped it because we are now getting the Smile tape also I think it's a great show that I want to see further discussed.

Eh... isn't that a bit greedy? I mean, you sound like you'd want this on a 3 disk set on the heels of the Smile Sessions... police

MBE
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2011, 07:02:01 AM »

Well especally if they do some vinyl with it like they are with Smile!
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2011, 03:25:27 PM »

WAIT?Huh

So, I'll be able to hold a gatefold Frank Holmes adorned vinyl copy of "The Beach Boys: Smile" in my hands and then slide it in on my shelf between Pet Sounds and Wild Honey??
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2011, 06:18:36 PM »

Should be noted that the BBs taped the Nov 23 1972 shows because they were recording their In Concert LP.  They then took these recordings and stuff from the Nov 72 Passaic show and made a tape-but after playing it to various parties they decided it didn't cut the mustard and they ended up scrapping the album and waiting till the summer of 73 to try again. Some of the songs from Passaic are on the 73 release but not from Carnegie Hall. Perhaps Brian influenced them-he told a 73 interviewer that when they played him the 72 tapes he was underwhelmed.  Exact quote "I just didn't think it was that good."  A few recordings of course showed up on the Endless Harmony release.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2011, 07:09:12 PM »

Should be noted that the BBs taped the Nov 23 1972 shows because they were recording their In Concert LP.  They then took these recordings and stuff from the Nov 72 Passaic show and made a tape-but after playing it to various parties they decided it didn't cut the mustard and they ended up scrapping the album and waiting till the summer of 73 to try again. Some of the songs from Passaic are on the 73 release but not from Carnegie Hall. Perhaps Brian influenced them-he told a 73 interviewer that when they played him the 72 tapes he was underwhelmed.  Exact quote "I just didn't think it was that good."  A few recordings of course showed up on the Endless Harmony release.
Was this tape that they compiled the same single disc "In Concert" one that the record company rejected? Or was the tape they compiled just a rough "demo" idea for a concert album, predating even the single disc edit?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2011, 03:27:28 AM »

yes-this was the single disc concert album
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2011, 03:31:20 AM »

WAIT?Huh

So, I'll be able to hold a gatefold Frank Holmes adorned vinyl copy of "The Beach Boys: Smile" in my hands and then slide it in on my shelf between Pet Sounds and Wild Honey??

Isn't that a great thought?

But will Smile usurp Smiley Smile for you?!!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx