gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681489 Posts in 27638 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 08, 2024, 06:50:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's Fall US tour ('new' old songs)  (Read 30593 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2009, 12:58:10 PM »

I'm quite surprised, Luther, that we haven't had more of those songs. In the first couple of years of Brian's touring, the shows had such rich and evolving setlists that I always assumed they would dig deeper into Brian's solo catalog. But once the PS / Smile / TLOS format emerged of greatest hits / full album, the non-album setlists tended to atrophy a bit.
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2009, 01:31:21 PM »

Shouldn't he do all solo work as a 'Greatest hits'? personally i'd love that, hearing some of the stuff off BW88 performed by a proper live band would be staggering.

I'd be interested in a set including songs like:

Your Imagination
Good Kind of Love
She Says That She Loves Me
How Could We Still Be Dancing?
Morning Beat
Desert Drive
Melt Away
GIOMH
Midnight's Another Day
Walkin The Line
Goin Home
Where Has Love Been?
There's So Many
Cry
Oxygen to the Brain
Live Let Live
City Blues
Meet Me In My Dreams Tonight
Lay Down Burden
Rio Grande
Love and Mercy

I too would like to see something like that  ...but I'd add a "cover songs" section to the set list as an encore before Love and Mercy ...

I'm Into Something Good
Sweets For My Sweet
Be My Baby

... and definately NO Proud Mary ...
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2009, 11:28:16 PM »

These are the songs he played last night in Amsterdam (this is not the right order, obviously):

Surfin' USA
Shut Down
Surfer Girl
Little Deuce Coupe
In My Room
Custom Machine
Fun, Fun, Fun
Don't Worry, Baby (lead vocals by Foskett)
I Get Around
All Summer Long
Johnny B. Goode
Do You Wanna Dance?
When I Grow Up (To Be A Man)
Help Me, Rhonda
Dance, Dance, Dance
Then I Kissed Her
Salt Lake City
Girl, Don't Tell Me
California Girls
Barbara Ann
Wouldn't It Be Nice (lead vocals by Foskett)
Sloop John B.
God Only Knows
Good Vibrations
Do It Again
Add Some Music To Your Day
Marcella
Sail On Sailor
Love And Mercy
Your Imagination
Soul Searchin'
Desert Drive
Midnight's Another Day/That Lucky Old Sun (reprise)
Going Home
Southern California
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 12:18:35 AM by shelter » Logged
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2009, 11:36:38 PM »

Barbara fucking Ann!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2009, 04:44:32 AM »

Huh

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2009, 04:58:56 AM »

Huh

Jeff did lead on those 2 last year too.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2009, 06:57:48 AM »

I've seen Brian in concert many times throughout the last couple of years, and I've seen both Brian and Jeff sing lead on Wouldn't it Be Nice.

When Brian sang it at the Pet Sounds concerts, it was played in a much lower key (I believe the key of C, whereas it was written in E, and then sped up to, I believe, F). That's a big difference, and it didn't sound right at all to my ears. I think the band would agree, as the change to let Jeff sing it more recently.

I also heard Jeff sing lead on two occassions, and while the music was much more fitting, I just honestly couldn't get into his lead vocals on it. The tone of his voice just didn't work for me. Obviously I'm not in the position to tell the band how to do their job, but this was a small contributing factor on why I don't keep going to see their show.

I would rather see Brian play songs in concert that his present day voice sounds good on, and the ones he feels like playing. More of a 'Storytellers' type show, not that I think Brian would want to talk that much in reality. As it is, the whole thing has felt forced more often than not; no disrespect meant.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2009, 07:07:31 AM »

Huh

I don't want to appear like I'm full of merda but I think I'm partially responsible for them giving some leads to Jeff..   Embarrassed
I shall share this story one day...

Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2009, 07:14:51 AM »

Huh

I don't want to appear like I'm full of merda but I think I'm partially responsible for them giving some leads to Jeff..   Embarrassed
I shall share this story one day...

Don't fret, I think it is a good thing they give some leads to Jeff.  He may not have the same character in his voice as Brian in his prime but who does?  I don't have a problem with Jeff taking those leads because a) it gives Brian a much needed few minutes to rest in the middle of the show and b) they would probably have these songs in the set anyway so if they are going to do them at least they are trying to do it in a way that will sound the best, which shows that someone cares about these concerts and the fans
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 06:53:45 AM by hart325 » Logged
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2009, 09:39:40 AM »

My husband and I are planning a trek across the Appalachians to go see Brian and the band November 1, but does anyone know when the tickets go on sale?  I know some of the US shows are already on ticketmaster, but I can't find any info from Brian's site, the venue's site or ticketmaster for when the other shows go on sale.  I would think that someone would know, but I can't understand why they wouldn't have it on the website anywhere.  Any ideas?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2009, 09:46:40 AM »

Ah ok, i thought this was some new development. It's not like they're easy songs for anyone to sing, let alone Brian these days, so it's ok. I wonder how it sounds.... It's a pretty good setlist too.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2009, 10:32:08 AM »

Try this link - http://www.brianwilson.com/tour/index.html

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Sciencefriction
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2009, 11:08:43 AM »

Maybe you can help me out Andrew, if you don't mind.  I'm concerned because Brian Wilson has a gig scheduled for November 6, 2009 at Carnegie Music Hall in Pittsburgh, PA but the ticket/info link now takes me to the Community Theater at Mayo in Morristown, NJ.  The funny thing is I'm having trouble finding Carnegie Music Hall's website too and I'm worried the gig has been canceled or something has happened.  It's the only gig that is close enough for me to go (I live in Kent, Ohio).  I figure it's just a website error, but it was working up until this week I think.  Any information would be great, I would hate to miss Brian Wilson live as I've been wanting to see him live since I was a kid.  Thanks.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2009, 11:23:04 AM »

Hmmm...

Try this one - http://www.librarymusichall.com/

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2009, 11:25:22 AM »

Or better still... http://www.carnegieconcerts.com/eventperformances.asp?evt=9  Grin

Sciencefriction
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2009, 12:03:12 PM »

Thank you so much Andrew!  It seems like a site change, or something, but I'm thrilled nonetheless!  Boy tickets aren't cheap, but they aren't that bad really.  Nice that I don't have to go through ticket master, cheers!  :D
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2009, 12:04:37 PM »

My pleasure... even if I have seriously dented my irascible image.  Cool

Sciencefriction
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2009, 12:06:22 PM »

Haha, I think it'll be okay.  I bet I can still get good tickets too.  Smiley
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2009, 12:16:42 PM »

Still no "Tree"!! I think Jack Reiley should come out of hiding and make an appearance at a BW show to sing lead on "Tree" and do the narration on Mt. Vernon and Fairway.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.
variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2009, 06:41:10 PM »

I think the number 1, no-brainer, needs to be in the Brian Wilson Concert Experience setlist is Still I Dream Of It.

Also, come on.. bring back Til I Die, that's one of his greatest songs.. and how about throwing Busy Doin' Nothin in the place of a couple minutes of car songs.. but that's just me.  Also add I'll Bet He's Nice, Mona.. those Love You songs would absolutely go down great with the audience with the type of band instrumentation and musicality that his band has..maybe add some little chant interludes between parts of the setlist like Whistle In, or You're Welcome.. and where is Cool, Cool Water?? Brian loves that one..

Just having a bit of hypothetical fun imagining the Perfect BW Setlist.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2009, 07:29:02 PM »

I had the same linking problem Sciencefriction...unfortunately none of the ticketing sites are showing the date I'm looking for yet.  I'm psyched though, I didn't expect him to come anywhere near my neck of the woods (upstate NY), let alone 20 minutes from my house!
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2009, 07:34:00 PM »

Still no "Tree"!! I think Jack Reiley should come out of hiding and make an appearance at a BW show to sing lead on "Tree" and do the narration on Mt. Vernon and Fairway.

Nah, I'd rather hear Brian sing "Tree."  He'd absolutely nail it with his current voice.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2009, 07:48:33 PM »

Not even close to Texas this fall Sad

That's ok, there really isn't anything in this tour I haven't seen already. Although, I would still go.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2009, 08:28:20 PM »

and where is Cool, Cool Water?? Brian loves that one..
That's my #1 dream for Brian to play. He always goes on and on about how much he loves that song in interviews. Come on band, you can do it!

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2009, 08:47:31 PM »

If he played I'll Bet He's Nice or The Night Was So Young, I would buy a ticket.  That would be special.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx