gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681489 Posts in 27638 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 08, 2024, 04:43:14 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's Fall US tour ('new' old songs)  (Read 30591 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: July 09, 2009, 01:31:40 AM »

Just more proof that he really doesn't enjoy doing the oldies. And yet that's the main focus.

I'm madder'n fish grease.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 09, 2009, 01:33:13 AM »

Wonder if the watch-checking's to do with requests. Y'know:

Voice from audience: "Hey Brian, play Rio Grande!"

Brian: "Sorry man, we don't play that until 9:38pm."

Bob Dylan refers to how the BBs' (and I include BW shows in that) play their songs live as they were recoded, or as near as they can get them. And let';s face it, there's never any re-interpretation, jamming, spontaneity.

“We live in divisive times.”
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 09, 2009, 01:49:44 AM »

Just more proof that he really doesn't enjoy doing the oldies. And yet that's the main focus.

You mean that there are now 2 competing Beach Boys Tribute Bands, each featuring (an) original member(s)? Must be a world first.  Huh

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 09, 2009, 02:32:11 AM »

Bob Dylan refers to how the BBs' (and I include BW shows in that) play their songs live as they were recoded, or as near as they can get them. And let';s face it, there's never any re-interpretation, jamming, spontaneity.

I really wouldn't want to hear "jamming" from the Beach Boys.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 09, 2009, 02:42:43 AM »

You mean that there are now 2 competing Beach Boys Tribute Bands, each featuring (an) original member(s)? Must be a world first.  Huh

Surely four? There's the Mike and Bruce Beach Boys (R) (C) (TM) (Patent Applied For), the Brian Wilson Band, and the Al Jardine Endlessly-Not-Allowed-to-Call-Himself-A-Beach-Boy-Even-Though-We-All-Know-He-Is-Really Summer Friends, Families & Beaches Band, and there's the David Marks configuration of the Legends of Surf Music band.

LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 09, 2009, 04:56:46 AM »

There's the Mike and Bruce Beach Boys (R) (C) (TM) (Patent Applied For), and the Al Jardine Endlessly-Not-Allowed-to-Call-Himself-A-Beach-Boy-Even-Though-We-All-Know-He-Is-Really Summer Friends, Families & Beaches Band.

LOL  Outstanding!   
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 09, 2009, 06:39:24 AM »

My pleasure... even if I have seriously dented my irascible image.  Cool

Yeah, you'll be helping folk out on the Blueboard next!

(... In fact it might be nice if someone there did!)

JimC1702
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 09, 2009, 06:40:41 AM »

Yikes!  $75.00 per seat at The Egg in Albany, NY.  I'd like to go but that's pretty steep.

"Beautiful...beautiful...now it sounds like jewelry.........here we go"
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 09, 2009, 08:31:36 AM »

There's the Mike and Bruce Beach Boys (R) (C) (TM) (Patent Applied For), and the Al Jardine Endlessly-Not-Allowed-to-Call-Himself-A-Beach-Boy-Even-Though-We-All-Know-He-Is-Really Summer Friends, Families & Beaches Band.

LOL  Outstanding!   

LOL Agreed! A mighty fine effort... have a cigar!

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 09, 2009, 08:51:19 AM »

Surely four? There's the Mike and Bruce Beach Boys (R) (C) (TM) (Patent Applied For), the Brian Wilson Band, and the Al Jardine Endlessly-Not-Allowed-to-Call-Himself-A-Beach-Boy-Even-Though-We-All-Know-He-Is-Really Summer Friends, Families & Beaches Band, and there's the David Marks configuration of the Legends of Surf Music band.

LOL.  Grin
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: July 09, 2009, 10:38:53 AM »

I've seen him do it during "GOK". Four times. Actually, I find it quite insulting.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: July 09, 2009, 12:15:17 PM »

Then he needs to quit touring. Period.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 09, 2009, 01:39:42 PM »

Yikes!  $75.00 per seat at The Egg in Albany, NY.  I'd like to go but that's pretty steep.

That's the closest BW show to me... Are the seats really that expensive?? Who does Brian think he is, The Eagles or The Rolling Stones??

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 09, 2009, 02:05:09 PM »

(and doing four dates in a country where Brian historically can't get arrested),

could you explain this further please?

Sure - in Germany, he's had consistantly low crowds (and bad promotion). As I recall, the first ever show he played there was switched at the last moment from the original venue to one under half the size (about 800), and he still didn't fill it. The first show this tour was 70% full and that was a big crowd by German standards.

I'd put it down to bad promotion.

I like how he sold out the paradiso though, that's over a thousand in there I've been told

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 09, 2009, 02:37:20 PM »

The alternative would be a more active recording lifestyle, i guess. I get the feeling whoever looks after Brian thinks he has to be busy most of the time.... But there has to be better alternatives to touring, shirley?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 09, 2009, 02:55:46 PM »

Eh. He's been checking his wristwatch onstage since nearly the beginning of his touring career. I think it's easy to read way more into it than is intended; the man wants to know what time it is. Maybe he has a short attention span and is easily bored. Hmm. Sounds like BW to me.
DonnaK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 09, 2009, 05:03:43 PM »

I must admit, I broke (literally) down and bought 2 tickets for the Milwaukee Wisc. show for Oct. It will have to be an overnighter for us, but he's not coming to Chicago this time. It cost me $192.00 including a 5.00 fee for parking. Mind you, these are $75 seats in the 15th row and aisle seats. For that much money, I would expect a wristband for a signature, but in my thought process, you never know if this will be his last tour.................................or mine!!!!!  My friend Pam loves his oldies so she decided to come along, which makes it more enjoyable all around. I'm hoping he does Imagination, but I'd rather hear the complete Pet Sounds again.
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 09, 2009, 08:38:06 PM »

Not to be a killjoy or anything... but -

if the dates aren't selling well, so the paycheck ain't so great, and from what Andrew's sources tell him, Brian finds the "greatest hits" thing to be a bore, he's happier when he has new stuff to play out -

then why fuckin do it?

I saw Brian's last couple of tours because he had something new/interesting  to show off - Smile, TLOS, the Pet Sounds suite with Al - but if there isn't a set of new things, why go?   Neil Young and Dylan may be old,  but they're still kicking new material, so they're NOT  old - at least not that kind of old.  This whole legacy act thing is starting to wear thin for me, and I'M a goddam legacy myself.  Make a new record, go REAL deep into the back catalog, and I'm there.

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 09, 2009, 08:47:48 PM »

Wow.  Sounds even more dreadful here than is reported in the US Tour thread.

If the oldies sets are such a drag for him, why fuckin do it?

(Esp. if they pay ain't all that good, cos the sales are sluggish, right?)

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 09, 2009, 09:45:18 PM »

DonnaK- One nice thing about the Milwaukee concert is that the venue, The Pabst Theater, is a wonderful place. Not a bad seat in the house. Acustics are great. I've seem Brian there twice. Thought I'd pass this time. Ticket prices are getting crazy. Half the house is priced at 75.00.

Hope you have a wonderful time.
GLarson432
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 09, 2009, 10:12:55 PM »

Quote from: JimC1702 on July 09, 2009, 08:40:41 AM

That's the closest BW show to me... Are the seats really that expensive?? Who does Brian think he is, The Eagles or The Rolling Stones??

As high as that may seem I think it's retatively normal for the current market.  BS?  Yes:  Reality in today's world?  Also yes.

I live in Tulsa, Oklahoma and it was announced on Thursday, July 8th, that Paul McCartney would be the 'special attraction' for a by then one year old (and very nice I have to say) indoor venue here.  Ticket prices are yet to be announced but I'd bet $75 will look cheap in comparison. 

Then again, it's Paul McCartney with universal appeal and not BW with, what, cult appeal at this point in time...?

Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 09, 2009, 11:24:36 PM »

LOL  Outstanding!   

LOL Agreed! A mighty fine effort... have a cigar!

LOL Seconded! (or thirded). Make it a Cuban!

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #122 on: July 09, 2009, 11:52:27 PM »

Have to say, when Dylan came to the UK recently, despite the fact he had a new album out, he played none of it and the shows he did were the worst of his that I've seen - and amongst the worst of anyone's.  I saw two, several days apart.  The reviews seemed to dance around the fact the shows were terrible without daring to admit the man who wrote all those great songs and who had a decent (but overrated) album out AND who is musical god might actually be bloody awful.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 10, 2009, 12:20:25 AM »

I like how he sold out the paradiso though, that's over a thousand in there I've been told

Nice little venue. Used to be a church until 1968. Nowadays it's a music venue, also nick-named the Dutch (or national) pop temple. No seats except from the balconies. Room for ca. 1500 visitors.
And the house was packed last Monday. A good choice (even it wasn't intended to be). If BW ever visits the Netherlands again, I hope they'll choose this venue again.

For it's history and a few pictures of Paradiso visit:
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradiso_(Amsterdam)
   http://www.paradiso.nl/web/English-Agenda/About-paradiso.htm
   http://www.paradiso.nl/web/English-Agenda/About-paradiso/History.htm

view from the stage
   http://www.paradiso.nl/web/English-Agenda/About-paradiso/Paradiso-today-concert-hall-club-and-cultural-center.htm

view on the stage
   http://www.paradiso.nl/web/Over-paradiso/Poppodium-club-tempel-van-nieuwe-cultuur.htm

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 10, 2009, 02:12:31 AM »

1500 Actually. That's 300 more than the Carre Theater in Amsterdam and he didn't sell out there two years ago. Especially because Brian has done quite some shows in Amsterdam the last few years and because tickets weren't exactly cheap (50 euros), I really didn't expect him to sell out the Paradiso now.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx