gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681290 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 01, 2024, 04:19:38 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Sound of Free" vs. "Lady (Fallin in Love)"  (Read 10377 times)
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« on: June 01, 2009, 01:07:48 AM »

I wish they had used "Sound of Free" vice "Lady" in the new collection.  While "Lady" is a very good song, it is pretty mid 60's/old school (the new version is even more 60's sappy); while I've always thought "Sound of Free" was more forward looking, innovative, cool and hip.  A preview of what was to come on Sunflower, Holland and POB)

What's every one else think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMtYIAtXNT0

(not the best sounding conversion of "Sound of Free")

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
XY
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 01:18:18 AM »

I agree.
I wish they would release a 3CD 40 years Special Edition of Sunflower/Surf's Up with all unreleased or forgotten gems from that period, with "California Slide", "Sound of Free", "Big Sur", "Back Home", "Good Time", "Seasons In The Sun", "Games 2 Can Play", "San Miguel", "Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again", "4th Of July" etc.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 04:40:07 AM »

I wish they had used "Sound of Free" vice "Lady" in the new collection.  While "Lady" is a very good song, it is pretty mid 60's/old school (the new version is even more 60's sappy); while I've always thought "Sound of Free" was more forward looking, innovative, cool and hip.  A preview of what was to come on Sunflower, Holland and POB)

What's every one else think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMtYIAtXNT0

(not the best sounding conversion of "Sound of Free")

"Sound of free" is a great song and I hope it will be also re-released soon, but it wouldn't have fit the concept of "Summer love songs", that's why it isn't on there and rightfully so

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 07:14:06 AM »

I'm actually glad that it wasn't used on 'Summer Love Songs." I think it would be the perfect opener for the Dennis Wilson solo compilation. I'd love to hear what John Hanlon could do with the multitracks.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 07:16:19 AM by Howie Edelson » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 07:42:01 AM »

"Sound of free" ... wouldn't have fit the concept of "Summer Love Songs", that's why it isn't on there and rightfully so

In The Parkin' Lot's a bit tenuous on those grounds, surely?  More of a "summer grope song", really?

Personally, I suspect Sound of Free isn't too far away from a fresh CD release, and suspect that Jon Stebbins might be able to enlighten us, if he's allowed?  I don't know anything, just have a hunch (as Quasimodo might say).

I've also just found a Smiley that apparently incorporates Guinness so I'm going to use it, just because I can.  Beer

“We live in divisive times.”
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 08:45:38 AM »

sound of Free would have been on Surf's Up if it had been on an album, wouldn't it?

Agree it's a great song and would have been a great side one closer (but then almost anything would have been better than Student Demonstration Time).
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 12:32:00 PM »

Personally, I suspect Sound of Free isn't too far away from a fresh CD release, and suspect that Jon Stebbins might be able to enlighten us, if he's allowed?  I don't know anything, just have a hunch (as Quasimodo might say).

I'd be surprised if Jon comments that there is actually something in the works.  No doubt he wants it (who doesn't) but he was pretty tight-lipped about POB/Bambu till he was sure it was going to happen.  This two CD set is tops on my wish list just in front of the Smile box set (because I think just about all of Smile has been booted)

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 01:43:46 PM »

sound of Free would have been on Surf's Up if it had been on an album, wouldn't it?

Agree it's a great song and would have been a great side one closer (but then almost anything would have been better than Student Demonstration Time).

The chronology seems about right but I thought that the only DW tracks that were supposedly left off Surf's Up at the last minute because of an inter-band tracking order dispute (or something like that) were 4th of July and WIBNTLA.

Was SOF ever under serious consideration for inclusion on a BB album?

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 02:12:16 PM »

Not to my knowledge. "SOF" was recorded 13th November 1970, btw, so could have been on Surf's Up... except that it was always a DW solo project.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 02:14:40 PM »

Thank goodness we at least have the 1981 Rarities LP from downunder!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 03:15:34 PM »

I'd be surprised if Jon comments that there is actually something in the works.  No doubt he wants it (who doesn't) but he was pretty tight-lipped about POB/Bambu till he was sure it was going to happen...

Agreed -  his discretion was amazing.  Could he discreetly drop a hint?   Grin

Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 05:50:57 PM »

Not to my knowledge. "SOF" was recorded 13th November 1970, btw, so could have been on Surf's Up... except that it was always a DW solo project.

Except that the lyrics were written by Mike Love . . . and I think Carl is on backing vocals, isn't he?

Dennis often pulled "solo" session songs for Beach Boys albums, so it's not impossible that it could have ended up on Surf's Up - it SHOULD have - but you're right, it's not on any BB comp tape for Landlocked/Surf's Up, unlike Fallin' in love/Lady (which is even more of a solo project song than Sound of Free). 
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 06:39:17 PM »

Except that the lyrics were written by Mike Love . . . and I think Carl is on backing vocals, isn't he?

Dennis often pulled "solo" session songs for Beach Boys albums, so it's not impossible that it could have ended up on Surf's Up - it SHOULD have - but you're right, it's not on any BB comp tape for Landlocked/Surf's Up, unlike Fallin' in love/Lady (which is even more of a solo project song than Sound of Free). 

Wow, I did not know the Lovester wrote the lyrics.  Good catch there Bicyclerider!

Says right there on the 45 (WIlson-Love)

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=296950

XY
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2009, 09:18:04 PM »

and I think Carl is on backing vocals, isn't he?

Yes, and also Brian.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2009, 09:41:39 PM »

Allegedly - seen it reported, but never confirmed.

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2009, 10:17:56 PM »

Was it typical for Europen 45's to have solid centers, as is the case with Sound of Free / Lady on Stateside?  I had thought they generally had punch out centers so that they could be played on either a standard turntable spindle or be punched out to play on a wide 45 rpm spindle.

Anyone know if Sound of Free / Lady saw any significant sales in the European market in late 1970?  (Both great songs, although Sound of Free had a very tinny EQ and Lady always sounded like an unfinished and not well mixed demo to me.)
XY
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2009, 10:24:19 PM »

Quote from: Andrew G. Doe
Allegedly - seen it reported, but never confirmed.

The high "Free"s near the end after Carl's "The sound is coming" could be Brian. When I first heard this song on a boot , I detected him in the background, but not so on the link posted above, perhaps that was an alternate mix?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2009, 11:56:38 AM »

Was it typical for Europen 45's to have solid centers, as is the case with Sound of Free / Lady on Stateside?  I had thought they generally had punch out centers so that they could be played on either a standard turntable spindle or be punched out to play on a wide 45 rpm spindle.

Anyone know if Sound of Free / Lady saw any significant sales in the European market in late 1970?  (Both great songs, although Sound of Free had a very tinny EQ and Lady always sounded like an unfinished and not well mixed demo to me.)

Can only speak for the UK, but all the 45s I saw while growing up had a solid center.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2009, 12:19:58 PM »

Can only speak for the UK, but all the 45s I saw while growing up had a solid center.

Sam here - I always thought the punch out centers were for jukeboxes (remember them?).

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2009, 06:45:04 PM »

Is anybody surprised at the group's decision to perform "Lady" on The David Frost Show?

The "Lady"/"Sound Of Free" single was released on December 4, 1970; it was performed on The David Frost Show on February 25, 1971, almost three months later. The single was already dead in the waters by then. So why perform/promote it? Of course, we know the group never took Dennis' music seriously and fought to keep his songs off their albums. Roll Eyes

Is it possible that it was being considered for the upcoming Surf's Up album, which was being recorded at the time of The David Frost Show?
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2009, 09:13:10 AM »

Lady is on the Landlocked tape, so yes, it was being considered for Surf's Up. 

I've speculated that there was a shift in group dynamics and leadership with Brian's increasing withdrawal from the group.  Dennis was coming into his own as a songwriter and producer, and was far more prolific than Carl.  Brian apparently wanted Carl to take the reins but I suspect Dennis felt he should become the upfront person and be more involved in the album decisions.  Dennis essentially "saved" the Add Some Music LP after it was rejected by Warners, he was still the "sex symbol" and hippest guy in the group.  But then Carl and Dennis had a falling out over the running order of Surf's Up and pulled his songs out to pursue a solo album.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2009, 11:50:45 AM »

Repeat after me, "there never was any Landlocked tape or album". Steve Desper - the guy who compiled that tape and cut the acetate - told me that it was just a bunch of songs to play on the radio. Not an album... not a potential album. Just current work in progress.

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2009, 12:07:40 PM »

Sam here - I always thought the punch out centers were for jukeboxes (remember them?).

Over here in the states, every 45 I've ever seen has a giant hole in the middle and required a special adapter to be placed on a record player spindle.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.
XY
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2009, 12:36:32 PM »

Is anybody surprised at the group's decision to perform "Lady" on The David Frost Show?

Not really, since they also played "Vegetables" and "Lady" was the newest output. Perhaps an US release was in planning?

Quote from: Bicyclerider

It was on the "Add Some Music" tape, the rejected Warner-album that became Sunflower.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2009, 02:49:52 PM »

Not really, since they also played "Vegetables" and "Lady" was the newest output. Perhaps an US release was in planning?

Yeah, I was gonna mention the "Vegetables" performance; I find that choice equally perplexing. Huh
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx