gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681222 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 29, 2024, 09:48:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 58225 times)
MichelleLB
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 09, 2009, 01:43:04 PM »

Valerie- Mark Ronson's version revisited
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 31, 2009, 11:12:56 AM »

Roger Nichols & The Small Circle of Friends
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 31, 2009, 11:20:11 AM »

Simon Bookish.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 31, 2009, 08:35:16 PM »

What am I listening to right now? The voices in my head.  Brian's Trip

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Sciencefriction
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 05, 2009, 08:29:04 AM »

Julian Casablancas - Phrazes For The Young.  I expected worse when I got it, but I really enjoy Out Of The Blue, Left & Right In The Dark, 11th Dimension, and Glass.  The rest is a miss really, too busy.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: November 05, 2009, 09:22:20 AM »

Anyone heard Sufjan Steven's The BQE? It's really quite good, if a tad disappointing he's not up to his old prolific standards.... Time to dig out the Christmas album soon as well.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 06, 2009, 10:41:06 PM »

Hadn't listened to this in years...
A VERY underrated album. One of my dad's favorite songs was "Wasn't Born To Follow". Since he died, a little less than two months ago, I've been listening to it a lot lately. Other than that, I've been listening to the complete Sylvester Weaver recordings, from 1923 to 1927. He was one of the first people in history to record what has become known today as  blues music. His "Guitar Rag" from 1923 is considered by many to be the first blues song ever recorded.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 08:49:53 PM by Jay » Logged

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 07, 2009, 03:25:37 PM »

Anyone heard Sufjan Steven's The BQE? It's really quite good, if a tad disappointing he's not up to his old prolific standards.... Time to dig out the Christmas album soon as well.
By the sound of recent interviews, he's not going to be prolific in the near future.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 07, 2009, 10:07:34 PM »

Trout Mask Replica

A discipline daddy.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 08, 2009, 03:36:25 AM »

By the sound of recent interviews, he's not going to be prolific in the near future.

You read that one he did for Paste? Christ. Far be it from me to dictate what makes Sufjan happy artistically, but i really wanted another States album - it was a really interesting concept and he did it so well. And the ludricousness was sort of the point.

It'd be interesting to see where he goes from here.... if anywhere.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 08, 2009, 07:02:08 PM »

Trout Mask Replica
The first time I heard that album it scared the hell out of me.  Grin

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 08, 2009, 07:44:18 PM »

Trout Mask Replica
The first time I heard that album it scared the hell out of me.  Grin
I had read about it before having ever heard it, but it still baffled me more than a little upon first listen. It wasn't until I could hear it with anti-Zappa ears (I had heard of it through Frank-based press) that I could truly enjoy it.

Music Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 09, 2009, 05:25:26 PM »

Them Crooked Vultures - Scumbag Blues. They've got the full debut album streaming on their youtube channel. I'm really liking what I've heard so far.
Sciencefriction
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 09, 2009, 06:30:41 PM »

I've been listening to The Drums lately, pretty good, not great, but pretty good.  I think given a couple more years they'll be a great band, possibly.  Certainly something to watch anyway.  I Felt Stupid is going to stay stuck in my head for awhile too, I think.  Smiley
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 08, 2009, 07:50:37 PM »

Picked up Paul McCartney's Good Evening New York City CD/DVD from Amazon for only $13.99

Interesting set list with recent stuff  "Highway", "Only Mama Knows", "Dance Tonight", and "Sing The Changes"; some nice album tracks "Flaming Pie", "Calico Skies", and "Mrs. Vanderbilt"; and interesting Beatles' takes on "I'm Down", "I've Got A Feeling", "A Day In The Life", and "Helter Skelter".

Paul's voice has gotten deeper (I think), but he still hits all the notes. And, even though it's live, Paul's bass playing is incredible; Abe's drumming is also a highlight. 33 songs on 2 CD's is quite a deal. I haven't had a chance to screen the DVD yet.
Sciencefriction
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 08, 2009, 08:06:28 PM »

I bet that was a great show, Paul seems have really kept his voice in great shape.  I need to check out that live album.

I've been listening to Wild Beasts latest album, Two Dancers lately, it's really a beautiful album.  Anyone who appreciates great vocals should give them a listen.  I'm thinking of seeing them in MI next Feb, four hour drive but worth it I think. 
DSamore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 08, 2010, 09:17:21 AM »

The Heavy Blinkers- The Night and I are Still So Young

Recommended by Warnakey. Excellent stuff so far! Very lush and mellow pop heavily influenced by BW.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: January 19, 2010, 10:53:58 AM »

George Jones - A picture of me without you (album)

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 22, 2010, 01:07:43 PM »

Whatever happened to an album for every state?  If that was burning him out, why not just one song per state?

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 22, 2010, 02:33:35 PM »

The new Adam Marsland album, Hello Cleveland, and the new Eels album, End Times.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: January 22, 2010, 02:41:06 PM »

George Jones - Hits I missed.... and one I didn't

Terrible title but a fantastic (!) album. And though I don't like re-recordings, the new version of "He stopped loving her today" (the one he didn't) is very, very good.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 09, 2010, 08:11:43 AM »

Fleetwood Mac - Tango in the Night

Probably one of my very favourite eighties records.
MichelleLB
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 10, 2010, 12:12:18 PM »

Keaton Simons - Without Your Skin.  Great soulful song, his voice brings chills down my spine.  He's on tour now too.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 11, 2010, 10:17:49 PM »

Get Yer Ya Ya's Out - Rolling Stones

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 15, 2010, 08:04:00 PM »

McCartney II

What a beautifully strange album that is....
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx