gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:47:59 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pro Shot Beach Boys Concerts  (Read 262349 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 15, 2014, 05:37:06 PM »

A lot of clips over the last little while on that account. Is it actually Billy's or he just linked it? Some cool stuff either way.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: January 16, 2014, 09:31:11 AM »

A lot of clips over the last little while on that account. Is it actually Billy's or he just linked it? Some cool stuff either way.

He just linked it. The person who uploaded it actually is a member of this board (now):

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,2412.msg423988.html#msg423988

Thanks to Patricia, I could change this link ( http://www.globalimageworks.com/clip-ronald-and-nacy-regan-greet-beach-boys-at-white-house-1994_028?id=45134&search_string=beach+boys&search_type=all& ) with another of the performance at the White House in '83.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 09:57:16 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 20, 2014, 06:23:53 PM »

Some good clips. A few from waaay  back I remember, including Solid Gold.

Keep im coming! Thumbs Up
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 25, 2014, 07:40:03 AM »

I purposely have avoided watching clips from the Mike Love / Cheerleaders / Dancers / Sherry Holt clothing era but I accidentally watched the one of the car medley posted a bit back in the thread - AUGH.

Seeing that stuff again makes me hope and pray that someone will unearth some full length 60's or 70's gems that have yet to be released.

I've been a fan for nearly 40 years and Mike has nearly drove me away for good many times.

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 25, 2014, 01:53:48 PM »

This was posted by Barnyard2 in the media-section. Does anyone have the exact date?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roLCnndKnIY

just putting it out there..... I saw the 'beach boys' in November 1992 in Melbourne, Australia...... and they used the same car backdrop then....
so perhaps around that time I would suspect...

RickB
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: March 25, 2014, 02:31:32 PM »

This was posted by Barnyard2 in the media-section. Does anyone have the exact date?

just putting it out there..... I saw the 'beach boys' in November 1992 in Melbourne, Australia...... and they used the same car backdrop then....
so perhaps around that time I would suspect...

RickB

Thanks! I put it in the list with a further remark.

I purposely have avoided watching clips from the Mike Love / Cheerleaders / Dancers / Sherry Holt clothing era but I accidentally watched the one of the car medley posted a bit back in the thread - AUGH.

Seeing that stuff again makes me hope and pray that someone will unearth some full length 60's or 70's gems that have yet to be released.

That would be fantastic, wouldn't it?

« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 02:33:15 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: March 29, 2014, 07:18:13 AM »

I added a link for Dec. 31st 1990

- Jack Rieley
Nicko1234
« Reply #207 on: March 29, 2014, 09:39:24 AM »

Wasn`t there a Mike and Bruce show from 2013 in Hong Kong that was professionally filmed?
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 29, 2014, 09:47:15 AM »

Wasn`t there a Mike and Bruce show from 2013 in Hong Kong that was professionally filmed?

Mike and Bruce played a show in Macau a year ago today, and I didn't see any cameras. The next day they played at the Hong Kong Rugby 7s (a 7 song set) that was filmed for TV, but nothing else.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: March 29, 2014, 10:07:25 AM »

The next day they played at the Hong Kong Rugby 7s (a 7 song set) that was filmed for TV, but nothing else.

I didn't know that. Do you have a date for this?

- Jack Rieley
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: March 29, 2014, 12:28:54 PM »

Mar 23 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj_JYQzsqrc
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: March 29, 2014, 02:55:11 PM »

Thank you!

Looks like an amateur film though. But it says it's from the TV station. I'll add it I guess.

- Jack Rieley
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 30, 2014, 08:28:42 AM »

Thank you!

Looks like an amateur film though. But it says it's from the TV station. I'll add it I guess.

It was broadcast on pretty much every TV station in HK. The Rugby 7's are a big deal, and since M&B were the first to be a musical act at the event, they got a lot of attention.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: March 30, 2014, 11:08:17 AM »

Thank you!

It was broadcast on pretty much every TV station in HK. The Rugby 7's are a big deal, and since M&B were the first to be a musical act at the event, they got a lot of attention.

That's interesting. Thanks for the info!
Was it scheduled during the Beach Boys tour (2012) and maybe thought that they would appear? I don't know about the size of the event but I wonder if Mike&Bruce - even with the Beach Boys' name - get such big offers in countries other than the USA

- Jack Rieley
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 02, 2014, 05:34:45 AM »

If you do want some detail - The Rugby 7's are a yearly thing, and last year they decided they would have some music. Cathay Pacific (airlines) flew them over first class on a jumbo jet, basically sponsoring them. The arena itself holds 40,000 people max, and there had to have been something close to that many the day of. Still, it was a 7 song set as half time entertainment, not selling out a stadium full of fans. The real show they held the day before in Macau had maybe 400 people max. I bumped into the band on the way and got to meet M&B and Tim Bonhomme, who was especially nice. He left backstage passes to the 7's for me and my friends, so we got to walk around on the actual pitch, which meant standing right in front of the stage when they set up.

This year they got a Queen cover band...a major step down.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 06:45:56 AM by Woodstock » Logged

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #215 on: April 02, 2014, 10:48:27 AM »

Great. Thank you! And a nice gesture from Tim Bonhomme. Hope you had a ball!

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: April 11, 2014, 01:03:08 PM »

I could update the link for the July 21st, 1987 show with the complete broadcast.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: June 02, 2014, 07:59:34 AM »

Thanks to Mayoman I have added a link to this year's Abbey Road On The River

- Jack Rieley
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 04, 2014, 08:37:30 AM »

And we still need info on this:

Carl hurt his hand at 1:15? Man do they look bored...

Carl never looked excited after his solo stint. It seems like he basically just gave life up after that. Playing the medleys etc for the pocket change so he could continue living in affluence. It really became a desk job for him. Perhaps he bored himself to death?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 08:42:30 AM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 04, 2014, 09:45:00 AM »

More likely Carl was preoccupied with what was going on with Brian and the efforts to spring him from Landy's clutches.

But admittedly, having those cheerleaders onstage was plenty boring to this woman -- I wanted to see the band, not dancers!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 09:47:04 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 12, 2014, 01:19:46 AM »

Probably a hand cramp.  That happens to me from time to time too, I do the exact same thing.
Gohi
« Reply #221 on: June 13, 2014, 04:42:59 AM »

Carl never looked excited after his solo stint. It seems like he basically just gave life up after that. Playing the medleys etc for the pocket change so he could continue living in affluence. It really became a desk job for him. Perhaps he bored himself to death?
Dang, this post feels over the line.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 13, 2014, 06:13:10 AM »

Dang, this post feels over the line.

I've thought the same thing to be honest. However I didn't know Carl so I couldn't say, and I don't know what else he'd rather have been doing. Alex James from blur makes cheese in his time off from touring...

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #223 on: June 30, 2014, 12:36:43 PM »

I had totally forgotten to list the Ella Awards' ceremony for Mike. That has been fixed now, including a link to "Help me Rhonda" from that evening.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: July 05, 2014, 01:07:38 PM »

Thanks to Barnyard2, I could update the list with the date (and link!!) for a show in Spain on Oct. 7th 1990. Check out the Killer after the Beach Boys (without Carl)

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 22 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx