gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680552 Posts in 27595 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 02:16:01 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Sunflower
5 - 155 (73.8%)
4 - 45 (21.4%)
3 - 8 (3.8%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 1 (0.5%)
0 - 1 (0.5%)
Total Voters: 193

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sunflower  (Read 167322 times)
beacharg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: August 31, 2014, 02:29:00 PM »

I never understood the appeal for "All I Wanna Do". It's cool, yes, but not sth. earth-shattering. I certainly like it, but it's not my Top anything BBs (100, 50, even 200).
"All I Wanna Do" draws the listener into a unique sonic world----unique even by Beach Boys standards. Mr Desper's finest moment, in this poster's humble opinion.

Indeed. One of my favorite songs.

I agree too, it must be in my top 5 or 10 (BBs songs). I always wonder if there is any demo or alternate version of this gem.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 31, 2014, 02:36:50 PM »

Nothing that has ever been booted.

Something from 1969 does exist - it was an early instrumental track ft. a sitar I think. Hopefully we'll get to hear that one day.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 31, 2014, 09:27:30 PM »

Something from 1969 does exist - it was an early instrumental track ft. a sitar I think. Hopefully we'll get to hear that one day.

It's from '68.
beacharg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: September 01, 2014, 03:45:02 PM »

Ahhh! Ahhh! Ahhh! that's great!

How we didn't get that in MiC???  Huh
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: December 21, 2014, 06:24:13 PM »

Magnificent album all around. I'm surprised by the hate Tears gets on here. It reminds me of My Boy by Elvis, but then I'm a sucker for those kind of histrionics.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #305 on: January 13, 2015, 11:42:01 PM »

Like with Pet Sounds, this is an easy 5/5 for me and there's not much more I can say about it. While the aforementioned may be a better album, I think Sunflower is the better *Beach Boys* album. Everyone shines here, everyone sounds focused and on the same page in terms of creative direction. This is the one and only Beach Boys album I've heard that sounds impeccably cohesive, with not a single track that takes me out of the zone or where I have doubts about whether a certain track really belongs with the rest. This is where the group really works together and sounds like a whole, not as Brian's messengers or competing fractions. In a perfect world, they'd have kept up output like this through the 70s. Unfortunately, Brian is Back, Dennis going solo, and Endless Summer were all major steps backward they never truly recovered from. This is also the only time where a SMiLE fragment was used on a later album that didn't seem forced, desperate, half-finished or some combination of the three, in my opinion.

My only minor criticism is the lame title which seems kinda arbitrary and unfitting. That and the sort of goofy, sort of (vaguely) creepy cover art. Not sure what they were thinking on that end.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
CroatianSensation
Smiley Smile Associate

97' Beach Boys enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 14, 2015, 06:01:51 PM »

This Whole World and Cool Cool Water are fantastic songs out of the album. The worst is At My Window. What a brutal song to listen to. Other then that 5/5 stars really solid listen
SufferingFools
Smiley Smile Associate

Fun is the only thing we still make here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #307 on: January 22, 2015, 08:44:18 AM »

This Whole World and Cool Cool Water are fantastic songs out of the album. The worst is At My Window. What a brutal song to listen to. Other then that 5/5 stars really solid listen
I don't know that I'd call it "brutal."  Maybe a bit weak... as if the album wanders off for a psychedelic bathroom break before getting back on course.  I don't actually know what I'm saying here...  But it's well produced and fits into the album like a quirky little dream sequence.

"We're getting too much good material.... It's too usable." - BDW, 10/18/66
CroatianSensation
Smiley Smile Associate

97' Beach Boys enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: March 25, 2015, 06:44:16 PM »

[/quote]
I don't know that I'd call it "brutal."  Maybe a bit weak... as if the album wanders off for a psychedelic bathroom break before getting back on course.  I don't actually know what I'm saying here...  But it's well produced and fits into the album like a quirky little dream sequence.
[/quote]

Alright I've grown on the album and it is a decent song.
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 11, 2015, 08:29:50 AM »

With all due respect to Bruce, I tend to skip his tracks, although Tears In The Morning has some nice BVs. 'Add Some Music' is also a track that I have mixed feelings about; I love the middle 8 but the verses don't do anything for me. Highlights for me are All I Wanna Do, Our Sweet Love and Forever
KDS
« Reply #310 on: April 15, 2015, 01:31:13 PM »

Yep, this is the album I rank above Pet Sounds. 

I rank Sunflower as a five, and my favorite Beach Boys album.  I really like the band feel to the album. 

Slip on Through - A short and sweet opener from Dennis brings the Boys into the 70s in grand style

This Whole World - OK, so this one might've made a better album opener, but no arguments here.  Pure 100% Beach Boys.

Add Some Music - Sounds like the Boys trying to adapt to the early 70s acoustic scene.  Sounds great. 

Got to Know the Woman - The one possible clunker on the album, but it still fits to me. 

Deidre - This song has grown on me.

It's About Time - The Beach Boys didn't rock out too much after the mid 60s, but if you ask me, this is one of the best post surf/car rockers in their catalog.

Tears in the Morning - Great Bruce effort.  Don't care what anyone says. 

All I Wanna Do - For me, the highlight of the album, and possible the last great B. Wilson/Love composition.

Forever - Dennis sure had a knack for ballads. 

Our Sweet Love - Another ray of sunshine. 

At My Window - OK, maybe we didn't need a third Bruce Johnston lead vocal on this album.  Maybe Brian or Al?  Still a decent song. 

Cool, Cool Water - Great group vocals. 
SufferingFools
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #311 on: May 03, 2015, 05:12:19 PM »

With all due respect to Bruce, I tend to skip his tracks, although Tears In The Morning has some nice BVs. 'Add Some Music' is also a track that I have mixed feelings about; I love the middle 8 but the verses don't do anything for me. Highlights for me are All I Wanna Do, Our Sweet Love and Forever

Yeah, Carl's middle eight is definitely the saving grace of the song.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 05:13:52 PM by SufferingFools » Logged

KDS
« Reply #312 on: May 05, 2015, 11:30:46 AM »

Until I read some of the posts on this thread, I really didn't know that Add Some Music to Your Day was much a polarizing song. 
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: May 05, 2015, 11:38:39 AM »

Until I read some of the posts on this thread, I really didn't know that Add Some Music to Your Day was much a polarizing song. 
Me either.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
SufferingFools
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #314 on: May 09, 2015, 08:12:53 AM »

I don't dislike it, but to me the verses seem to run in place too long once they've made their fairly simple harmonic point, and the lyrics aren't clever enough to lift them out of the rut.  I really love the middle eight and the way it comes back in from there, up through "music is in my soul."

Also, I like how some of the backing vocals on the verses are reminiscent of "Only the Lonely."
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 05:40:31 AM by SufferingFools » Logged

SufferingFools
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #315 on: June 15, 2015, 05:46:46 AM »

If it's the UK track sequence, I rank this album about as high as Pet Sounds.  The standard (US) album sequence falls a bit short to me.  Just a slight reordering and one addition, but it makes all the difference to my ear.

Deejay Smersh
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: June 21, 2015, 10:45:41 AM »

I think by Al J. Admitting that the beach boys didn't know what they had, concerning Dennis and his considerable musical abilities...They just focused on his outward behavior. Thus robbing the whole band of a more progressive and artistic era of music, imo. Btw, why did Bruce J. Quit the boys in 72,73 circa? He seemed a little too white bread.
KDS
« Reply #317 on: June 30, 2015, 05:55:34 AM »

I think by Al J. Admitting that the beach boys didn't know what they had, concerning Dennis and his considerable musical abilities...They just focused on his outward behavior. Thus robbing the whole band of a more progressive and artistic era of music, imo. Btw, why did Bruce J. Quit the boys in 72,73 circa? He seemed a little too white bread.

I don't think Bruce was a fan of the direction Jack Rieley was taking the Boys in, with some of the environmental / political songs on the Surf's Up record. 
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: September 25, 2015, 09:18:06 AM »

1. Slip On Through (4/5)
2. This Whole World (5/5)
3. Add Some Music (5/5)
4. Got To Know The Woman (3/5)
5. Deirdre (5/5)
6. It's About Time (4/5)
7. Tears In The Morning (4/5)
8. All I Wanna Do (5/5)
9. Forever (4/5)
10. Our Sweet Love (4/5)
11. At My Window (5/5)
12. Cool, Cool Water (5/5)

The band in it's prime - sales be damned - they were untouchable at this point.
Overall 5/5

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
caseyhardmeyer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: September 25, 2015, 09:53:34 AM »

I like Sunflower, but man its reputation has really become so bloated (IMO of course).

"Got to Know...", "Tears" and "Its About Time" I have been routinely skipping for years. I used to love "Add Some Music", but as time has gone by I've found it to be excessively wooden, and the decision to release this as the lead single from this record is kind of baffling. "Slip on Through" would have been the obvious choice but "Forever" and "Our Sweet Love" would also have made excellent singles. It's funny that when Brian is finally forced out of the drivers seat the BBs (and Reprise) still didn't have a clue. I love "At My Window", but "Take A Load Off Your Feet" is my favorite track on Surf's Up so maybe I'm just a weirdo.

3.5/5
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: May 04, 2016, 10:54:34 PM »

Side two of this album is one of the best album sides ever. Side one is marred only slightly by Bruce's cutsie "Dierdrie" and Dennis' silly "Got to Know the Woman"; other than that, this album is about as close to perfection as you can get in this earthly realm. And yes, I include "Tears in the Morning", dammit! (oops, Bruce's foul language rubbing off on me!). I've sat down to play it on the piano, and it's a well constructed song - I like how he moves the bass notes around, definitely a Brian influence, I enjoy singing it. I guess because I, too, have had tears in the morning.  "All I Wanna Do" "Forever" and "Our Sweet Love" is a perfect song cycle. And yet this album sank like an anchor upon release. Go figure.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: January 24, 2017, 01:29:10 AM »

Why does everyone dislike Tears In The Morning? I think it's great...
psh, it is a great song

don't listen to the haters.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: January 24, 2017, 08:20:00 PM »

psh, it is a great song

It's secretly the best song on Sunflower but only patricians know that.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 06, 2017, 03:48:42 PM »

It is an amazing, amazing record. But I do prefer Surf's Up.

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: March 11, 2017, 03:38:50 PM »

psh, it is a great song

Yes it is, and that's one thing I am damn sure of!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx