gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 10:01:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Sunflower
5 - 155 (73.8%)
4 - 45 (21.4%)
3 - 8 (3.8%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 1 (0.5%)
0 - 1 (0.5%)
Total Voters: 193

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sunflower  (Read 167376 times)
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: October 16, 2011, 04:19:09 PM »

1. Slip On Through 9.5/10
2. This Whole World 10/10
3. Add Some Music 8.5/10
4. Got To Know The Woman 8/10
5. Deirdre 8.5/10
6. It's About Time 9/10
7. Tears In The Morning 8/10
8. All I Wanna Do 10/10
9. Forever 10/10
10. Our Sweet Love 9.5/10
11. At My Window 9.5/10
12. Cool, Cool Water 10/10

Album Rating: 9.2

A discipline daddy.
Griffmanr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 28, 2011, 08:43:53 AM »

Sunflower is definitely my favorite Beach Boys album!!  It covers so many bases and yet totally plays as a cohesive unit.  It's awesome

Track by Track Review

1. Slip On Through - This is just a fantastic album opener.  It really kicks ass for sure!!  Dennis Rocks!  Fantastic harmonies on the chorus.  Love the ending when the bridge goes back into the chorus!  10/10
2. This Whole World - This song is just a mind blowing composition.  In less than 2 minutes Brian and the boys take us on a musical journey that's more varied and exciting than any 20 minute long-prog piece (though there are some really good ones of those too.)  10/10
3.  Add Some Music - goshdarn it this song should not be as good as it is.  The lyrics are kinda cheesy but damn do they work.  The mid section is so beautiful.  Love how everyone (but Dennis) sings a line. 10/10t's
4. Deirdre - I'm sometimes not a fan of Bruce (I feel like Disney Girls is a little overrated), but this is definitely my favorite of his compositions.  It's perfect sunshine pop!  10/10
5. Got to Know the Woman - Some people aren't that big of fans of this song but I think it's superb.  Great Vocal from Dennis.  I actually love the female backing singers on this. 10/10
6. It's About Time - Holy sh*t, a Beach Boys song that actually legitametly rocks in the studio.  Got to give props to Desper on this one. 10/10
7. Tears in the Morning - Definitely my least favorite one on here.  I think the entire thing is just a little bit schmaltzy, and I can't stand that candle line, however it's still a damn fine song.  I love the way the piano ending segues into the next track. 8/10
8. All I Wanna Do - This is possibly my favorite Beach Boys song.  The production is out of this world.  It gives me the chills every time. 11/10
9. Forever - A damn fine ballad from Dennis.  While it's not one of my top favorite Beach Boys songs it's still absolutely incredibly beautiful.  Brian's vocals at the end are awesome! 10/10
10. Our Sweet Love - A great ballad but it feels kind of like a retread of God Only Knows.  Love Brian's backing vocals on this.  9/10
11. At My Window - This is a strange one but I absolutely love it to death.  It starts out as this bizzare childish song that sounds like it could get annoying, and then all of a sudden it gets really creepy.  All of sudden you're then hit with one of the most gorgeous fades on a Beach Boys Song 9/10
12.  Cool Cool Water - Spectacular.  I personally like this more than Da Da (Maybe the box set will change my mind.)  10/10

All in all sunflower is an unbelievable album.  Though some of the songs (mainly Tears in the Morning) aren't perfect, I still wouldn't change a thing about it.  It's amazing how much joy this album brings me every time I listen to it.

10/10 

"You got to let me out of this mental cage that we live in"
louielouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Have you ever been on an airplane?

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 29, 2011, 09:45:41 PM »

Sunflower is definitely my favorite Beach Boys album!!  It covers so many bases and yet totally plays as a cohesive unit.  It's awesome

Track by Track Review

1. Slip On Through - This is just a fantastic album opener.  It really kicks ass for sure!!  Dennis Rocks!  Fantastic harmonies on the chorus.  Love the ending when the bridge goes back into the chorus!  10/10
2. This Whole World - This song is just a mind blowing composition.  In less than 2 minutes Brian and the boys take us on a musical journey that's more varied and exciting than any 20 minute long-prog piece (though there are some really good ones of those too.)  10/10
3.  Add Some Music - goshdarn it this song should not be as good as it is.  The lyrics are kinda cheesy but damn do they work.  The mid section is so beautiful.  Love how everyone (but Dennis) sings a line. 10/10t's
4. Deirdre - I'm sometimes not a fan of Bruce (I feel like Disney Girls is a little overrated), but this is definitely my favorite of his compositions.  It's perfect sunshine pop!  10/10
5. Got to Know the Woman - Some people aren't that big of fans of this song but I think it's superb.  Great Vocal from Dennis.  I actually love the female backing singers on this. 10/10
6. It's About Time - Holy sh*t, a Beach Boys song that actually legitametly rocks in the studio.  Got to give props to Desper on this one. 10/10
7. Tears in the Morning - Definitely my least favorite one on here.  I think the entire thing is just a little bit schmaltzy, and I can't stand that candle line, however it's still a damn fine song.  I love the way the piano ending segues into the next track. 8/10
8. All I Wanna Do - This is possibly my favorite Beach Boys song.  The production is out of this world.  It gives me the chills every time. 11/10
9. Forever - A damn fine ballad from Dennis.  While it's not one of my top favorite Beach Boys songs it's still absolutely incredibly beautiful.  Brian's vocals at the end are awesome! 10/10
10. Our Sweet Love - A great ballad but it feels kind of like a retread of God Only Knows.  Love Brian's backing vocals on this.  9/10
11. At My Window - This is a strange one but I absolutely love it to death.  It starts out as this bizzare childish song that sounds like it could get annoying, and then all of a sudden it gets really creepy.  All of sudden you're then hit with one of the most gorgeous fades on a Beach Boys Song 9/10
12.  Cool Cool Water - Spectacular.  I personally like this more than Da Da (Maybe the box set will change my mind.)  10/10

All in all sunflower is an unbelievable album.  Though some of the songs (mainly Tears in the Morning) aren't perfect, I still wouldn't change a thing about it.  It's amazing how much joy this album brings me every time I listen to it.

10/10 

Excellent summary! Smiley

I also love this album badly, I remember the first time I listen to it for the first time, it was a mind blowing and totally emotive moment. Some of my favourite Beach Boys songs are in this album. I specially love Slip on through, Our sweet love, All I wanna do and At my window wich  I consider an almost graphic experience with that incredible textures (Agree with you, that fade out is out of this world). I have always thought of Sunflower as Beach Boys's Abbey Road Smiley
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 30, 2011, 07:55:34 AM »

My opinion to the letter. And possibly that of others on this board. :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Puggal
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 14, 2012, 11:27:03 PM »

This probably the most cohesive album the boys have recorded since Pet Sounds. Sonically, I mean. I guess the overwhelming "sunshine" vibe also makes it all feel quite cohesive (which I like). 4 stars, if only for a bit of uninspired sweetness in "At My Window" and Bruce's typically clunky "Tears in the Morning."

Did Brian write the melody to Deidre? It sounds "classically" Brian to me.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: March 15, 2012, 12:02:09 AM »

This probably the most cohesive album the boys have recorded since Pet Sounds. Sonically, I mean. I guess the overwhelming "sunshine" vibe also makes it all feel quite cohesive (which I like). 4 stars, if only for a bit of uninspired sweetness in "At My Window" and Bruce's typically clunky "Tears in the Morning."

Did Brian write the melody to Deidre? It sounds "classically" Brian to me.

Brian wrote some words to "Deidre" that Bruce didn't use.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #256 on: March 15, 2012, 02:42:19 AM »

Awesome album. Tears In The Morning the only downer. By some considerable distance the best tracks are: Slip On Through, This Whole World, It's About Time, All I Wanna Do and Forever.
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 15, 2012, 06:37:16 AM »

Call me an idiot, but Deirdre is my favorite track on it. Go figure.

It's not my favorite on the album but I do love that song. I enjoy it much more than Disney Girls (which seems to be the Bruce track that gets the most attention).
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 15, 2012, 07:07:07 AM »

"Deirdre" is a fine, fine track. I would love to see Bruce's contribution to the reunion album to turn out to be something like "Deirdre".
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: March 30, 2012, 11:46:07 PM »

I just don't get why people don't like Tears, that was probably the song I liked most next to Slip on Through the first few times I listened to Sunflower. It hooks me from the opening stereo pan on the drums.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Melissa
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 19, 2012, 06:03:20 PM »

Great album with some of their best songs. How can you not love "Add Some Music"?
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 07, 2012, 02:31:10 PM »

All near-perfect songs except Bruce material which imo is B compared to the rest. Not loving Got To Know The Woman either, its fine, but just not Slip On Through. Forever is good, but I dont play it alot, bit boring for my taste. Our Sweet love suffers much from sugar lyrics when one consideres the amazing backing track.

album is 9.0 for me
Puggal
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 09, 2012, 04:52:27 PM »

Probably going to "up" this to a weak 5, the only flaw being Tears in the Morning. This really is as close to perfect as the Beach Boys get. So, so lovely.

By the way, was Brian the primary composer of At My Window? 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 04:56:39 PM by Grave Robber 9 » Logged
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #263 on: June 10, 2012, 06:02:34 AM »

The melody is based on an old folk song, so neither of them wrote that. My guess is Brian's contribution is the weird chord change towards the end and the French spoken word part. And the production/arrangement in general.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 10, 2012, 07:46:51 AM »

The melody is based on an old folk song, so neither of them wrote that. My guess is Brian's contribution is the weird chord change towards the end and the French spoken word part. And the production/arrangement in general.
Really? I heard it was actually Lookin' At Tomorrow that was based on an old folk song. With 2 last sentences agree though.

As per Al, the hook is really similar to a song called Raspberries, Strawberries by The Kingston  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKAxV3rNBpo

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #265 on: June 18, 2012, 07:17:46 AM »

both of them are based on old folk songs.
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #266 on: June 27, 2012, 05:03:05 PM »

Great group effort. Nice to hear Bruce shine vocally, I think this is the most we hear of him in an album and as a lead vocalist. Dennis's Forever is stunning and Mike's vocals in All I Wanna Do are amazing. Add Some Music to Your Day is also nice and Carl's vocals shine in it. Very nice album.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 30, 2012, 08:40:09 AM »

Can you indicate me the source where it's said that At My Window is based on some old folk song? I'm just curious about it.

I swear I showed you this already - Raspberries, Strawberries by The Kingston Trio

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 02, 2012, 03:18:57 AM »

Can you indicate me the source where it's said that At My Window is based on some old folk song? I'm just curious about it.

I swear I showed you this already - Raspberries, Strawberries by The Kingston Trio
I know you did show me that. But I don't see much similarity between them. So, credits (Wilson-Jardine) are correct. THey didn't write it as "traditional", did they?

No, but the 'It came to my window' refrain is the same. Classic Al songwriting, that.

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 02, 2012, 03:14:19 PM »

I just listened to the album for the first time in about a year and I think it's really great. I don't know if it was due to my good mood or not, but I found every single song to be good, even 'At My Window' and 'Tears In The Morning' which I used to label as "too cheesy" or "not my thing". But I truly like every single song here. 'Cool Cool Water' is hypnotic, 'Slip On Through' and 'It's About Time' rock, 'All I Wanna Do' is just incredible and this time Mike's (/Brian's) TM lyrics really work, and the humming part in 'Forever' is one the most beautiful moments in The Beach Boys history.

5 out of 5.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 03:21:57 PM by Sail On, Brian » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #270 on: July 18, 2012, 08:56:19 PM »

Sunflower original vinyl on a decent system. That is a
singularly awesome experience. I guess I should hear it
in quad now.

I have got this Sony receiver. It has the pro logic setting
on it. Do I just need to hook it up to that, with four speakers?
clinikillz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 12, 2012, 08:39:31 AM »

Fantastic group effort. Despite a couple throwaway tracks (Got to Know the Woman, Tears in the Morning), the album is a great listen. In my opinion, The Whole World, Forever and Cool, Cool Water are all-time classics. 4/5
SufferingFools
Smiley Smile Associate

Fun is the only thing we still make here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #272 on: September 06, 2012, 06:21:03 AM »

Does anyone else on the planet actually prefer the original European track sequence of Sunflower (starting off with the 45rpm version of "Cottonfields" and putting "Deirdre" before "Got to Know the Woman")?  I was a big fan of the album already, but got hold of an old Stateside-label copy several years ago and it blew me away even more.  Maybe it wasn't what was originally intended by the group, but this was the version that went stratospheric in the UK back in 1970, which is at least historically significant.

My favorite moment on Sunflower, though, is at the end of "Our Sweet Love," at the verrrrrrrrry end of the final chord, that one little extra tambourine hit, as if the guy with the tambourine just couldn't contain his joy.  Smiley

"We're getting too much good material.... It's too usable." - BDW, 10/18/66
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: September 16, 2012, 06:45:45 AM »

Does anyone else on the planet actually prefer the original European track sequence of Sunflower (starting off with the 45rpm version of "Cottonfields" and putting "Deirdre" before "Got to Know the Woman")?  I was a big fan of the album already, but got hold of an old Stateside-label copy several years ago and it blew me away even more.  Maybe it wasn't what was originally intended by the group, but this was the version that went stratospheric in the UK back in 1970, which is at least historically significant.

My favorite moment on Sunflower, though, is at the end of "Our Sweet Love," at the verrrrrrrrry end of the final chord, that one little extra tambourine hit, as if the guy with the tambourine just couldn't contain his joy.  Smiley

Cottonfields isn't a bad touch, simply because it's right at the beginning, and Deirdre before GTKTW works better, but then again i only really play the UK Lp, so...

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 04, 2013, 12:47:40 PM »

YES!!  Right on!!  I much prefer the UK tracklisting!  And you're right... it's the version that hit big!  I'm right there with you.

It wasn't until I heard the album sequenced this way that I truly got it.  The album didn't click with me before.  Sure, I liked the individual songs... but as an album, I didn't see why the Europeans saw it as another Pet Sounds.  I tried but couldn't see it.  Then hearing it opening up with Cottonfields -- I instantly heard it.  It just works.  Maybe it's the feeling of taking of your shoes, walking outside - barefoot - and putting the day behind you:  "When I was a little bitty baby..."  That's a nice opener.

Opening with "Slip on through" was too much for me.   Too heavy.  Too deep.  I like, easing into it with Cottonfields.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx