gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 12:02:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Definitive "Worst of the beach Boys Compilation"  (Read 18116 times)
MBE
« Reply #100 on: April 23, 2007, 10:13:13 PM »

You're hard on Still Surfin'.  Any other track of SIP I'd agree to. I like I Wanna Pick You Up.  Surely Little Tomboy's worse than that?  Wjat about Everyone's in Love With Love?  That's worse than Love is a Woman.  I wouldn't argue with the rest, though.
Thanks for you're comments. I will clear up why I picked those, and I was aware that including some Love You songs would bother some people. Still Surfin was just produced bad. I didn't like Mike's attempt to play up that image and make it modern. Perhaps I Do Love You and Crack At Your Love were worse but I was going off the top of my head. I Wanna Pick You up doesn't do it for me. Hey Little Tomboy is not a fave but at least it has decent vocals and a catchy chorus. That Pat Pat Pat part is just so beneath other things coming out of Brian and Dennis. I can't believe Still I Dream Of It sat in the vault, or that not one of Dennis' 1976-7 songs were considered for use. Everyone's In Love is a middling song to me. It's not their greatest moment but the sincerity of it is quite clear. Dennis said he loved it in an interview and on stage Charles Lloyd made it really beautiful. Love Is A Woman is just again beneath Brian. Tell her she smells good? There's good offbeat and creepy offbeat. That's one of the times he crossed that fine line. The melody is plodding and lounge lizard like. The vocals are horrid. Hope I didn't offend you with these comments but that's how I feel personally.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 12:43:00 AM by MBE » Logged
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 23, 2007, 11:33:54 PM »

I saw the Still Surfin' thing as kind of melancholy and reflective, which is why I forgave Love for that one! Smiley  Ooh, Crack at Your Love.  Help!  Forgot about that one.  Sends the wrong kind of shivers up my spine.

Honk! Honk!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 25, 2007, 02:26:32 PM »

1. Strange Things Happen
2. Hot Fun In The Summertime
3. California Dreamin' (great song but the BB sounds like cheesy Karaoke)
4. Forever (The John Stamos doing his best Dennis impersonation)
5. Tears In The Morning (oh lord Kurgan how I hate this song)
6. Wind Chimes (Smiley Smile version... I hate it because they pooped all over a great song)
7. I Do Love You (Especially that crappy sesame street harmonica)
8. Full Sail (total snoozer... Even Carl sounds like he is about to go full comatose)
9. I'm So Lonely (This could have been a great Brian song... plus the production on the whole is pretty terrible)
10. Surfin' (The Still Cruisin' version)

Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 25, 2007, 03:56:12 PM »

Pat her on her butt is typical Brian humor and cracks me up every time I hear Dennis sing it. Who else can get away with that song? IWTPYU is a great example of Brian Wilson humor...
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 25, 2007, 06:44:15 PM »

Pat her on her butt is typical Brian humor and cracks me up every time I hear Dennis sing it. Who else can get away with that song? IWTPYU is a great example of Brian Wilson humor...

The more I listen to Love You the more I love that album. Pat.. Pat.. Pat Pat Pat her on the Butt.. Butt

Priceless Brian (By the way That is Brian singing the "pay her butt" parts. Dennis and Brian trade off singing the verses but the second half of the song is entirely Brian).  Grin
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 25, 2007, 06:51:48 PM »

I'm glad someone else acknowledges it! BTW, I get Brian and Dennis' voices mixed up alot on that album....
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx