gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:15:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sail On Sailor box set  (Read 52220 times)
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2022, 09:30:54 PM »

Does anyone know when the latest issue of ESQ (Carl & the Passions) goes on sale?
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2022, 02:46:46 AM »

Does anyone know when the latest issue of ESQ (Carl & the Passions) goes on sale?

I got that one a week or 2 ago, and I'm in Australia  - about a week's postage from the U.S.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2022, 03:36:28 AM »

And finally we get the studio recording of "We got Love". I really like that one, especially that pedal steel intro! As you certainly know, an early pressing of "Holland" featuring that song was released in Germany, yet the recording was never used again on any sets afaik.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 03:41:29 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2022, 10:20:21 AM »

Looking forward to this one!  Also quite buzzed that "Carry Me Home" finally gets a proper official release. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2022, 11:11:45 AM »

Disregard
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 11:16:13 PM by Bedroom Tapes » Logged
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2022, 02:15:08 PM »

And finally we get the studio recording of "We got Love". I really like that one, especially that pedal steel intro! As you certainly know, an early pressing of "Holland" featuring that song was released in Germany, yet the recording was never used again on any sets afaik.

I think Analogue Productions used it on a vinyl release. Found it here https://www.discogs.com/release/8957660-The-Beach-Boys-Holland

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2022, 02:59:36 PM »

The amazon situation is a disaster. No surprise there

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2022, 04:15:31 PM »

Same thing happened with FF last year from memory. Others can chime in but it would not surprise me if these sets have an initial run planned then up it as demand warrants.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2022, 02:31:52 AM »

I think Analogue Productions used it on a vinyl release. Found it here https://www.discogs.com/release/8957660-The-Beach-Boys-Holland

I wasn't aware of that. Thank you! But I guess they didn't get to use the master tapes but worked with the "bootlegged" version, did they?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2022, 02:42:17 AM »

I wasn't aware of that. Thank you! But I guess they didn't get to use the master tapes but worked with the "bootlegged" version, did they?

Unfortunately I've never come across an affordable copy so haven't heard it. I'd imagine it's the official version sanctioned by Brother as AP are a legit company but not 100%.

It's on the SACD too https://www.discogs.com/release/8864074-The-Beach-Boys-Holland

Thread here http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,19211.0.html
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 02:56:10 AM by Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll » Logged

Gosh Darn Highway
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2022, 09:18:29 AM »

Super excited about the new set, albeit with one question: Is there any reason why the special items that come with the Deluxe and Limited Super Deluxe LP variations (the lithographs and the Holland promo reproduction booklet) can't also come with the Super Deluxe 6-CD version? While I have a record player, it's a cheap one and vinyl is not my go-to for most music. I always buy the CD sets, and feel I certainly can't be alone? As such, I've always been fine missing out on whatever extras are exclusive to the LP sets. But this time I caved, having just ordered the Limited Super Deluxe vinyl edition simply for the lithographs and Holland book (call me a sucker), and I will no doubt get the CDs for most of my actual listening. I figured I'd ask anyone here who might be in the know about why such bonuses can't be offered for the CD versions? I know this is not unique to this set, or the Beach Boys products in general. But I don't see why a "Limited Super Deluxe" CD option couldn't be offered just as it is for the LPs. Anyone in the know about why this is so often the case, where vinyl products come with the most unique goodies?  I can't imagine the physical configuration of the CD box set would have to be altered much, if at all, to house a sleeve or something that could contain those items, given it's housed in a book anyway.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2022, 11:29:30 AM »

But this time I caved, having just ordered the Limited Super Deluxe vinyl edition simply for the lithographs and Holland book (call me a sucker), and I will no doubt get the CDs for most of my actual listening.

I think you have answered the question yourself. It’s all about maximising the return for a business and I don’t think the Beach Boys and the label are any different.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2022, 01:10:12 PM »

Remind me again, what is the actual release date for this thing? I don't do the whole pre-order thing. I will find it in a physical store when it's available.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2022, 02:02:05 PM »

Nov. 18th
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2022, 05:38:45 AM »

Unfortunately I've never come across an affordable copy so haven't heard it. I'd imagine it's the official version sanctioned by Brother as AP are a legit company but not 100%.

It's on the SACD too https://www.discogs.com/release/8864074-The-Beach-Boys-Holland

Thread here http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,19211.0.html

Yep I own the SACD version.  The studio version is quite nice although the live version of it sounds, well, livelier.   

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2022, 11:37:33 AM »

Same thing happened with FF last year from memory. Others can chime in but it would not surprise me if these sets have an initial run planned then up it as demand warrants.

I did. Once again I have to buy from amazon france. I'm not waiting for amazon uk, loads of people did last time and got cancelled on.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2022, 12:57:08 PM »

To answer the topic brought up above, yes, the Analogue Productions releases (vinyl and CD/SACD hybrid) are legit, licensed releases. I'm not sure what would possibly make anyone think they're not. They were/are sold through legitimate retailers, and have known names that remastered them.

They weren't discussed a ton here, but I think that was just a confluence of a bunch of things (the 2012 reissues being relatively recent at the time, not a super huge interest here in high-rez, and the incomplete nature of both reissue campaigns).

The current mode of running through the catalog and getting the albums back out there in physical form and also presenting a ton of outtakes (e.g. Feel Flows and Sail on Sailor) is ideal, and I certainly hope we continue to see the 70s covered in one form or another.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2022, 11:49:07 AM »

Nov. 18th
Just got an email from the Beach Boys organization saying the release date is now Dec. 2
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2022, 12:45:05 PM »

Nov. 18th
Just got an email from the Beach Boys organization saying the release date is now Dec. 2
Is this for a physical release? Because the streaming release is still listed as November 18.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 04, 2022, 01:22:18 PM »

Nov. 18th
Is this for a physical release? Because the streaming release is still listed as November 18.
Here's what the Beach Boys notification says:
Hold on, dear brother that box set you’ve been waiting for now arrives December 2.

Sail On Sailor - 1972

A new expansive multi-disc and digital box set, highlighting 1972's Carl and the Passions – "So Tough" and 1973's Holland albums with a bounty of unreleased outtakes, live recordings, demos, alternate versions and mixes, instrumentals, and a cappella tracks.

Some highlights include a Mount Vernon and Fairway (A Fairytale) EP (not available on vinyl since its original release) and Carnegie Hall Thanksgiving 1972 concert recording. The Carnegie Hall concert is the first-ever release of a complete Beach Boys concert from this era with its original setlist. Sail On Sailor also includes a beautifully-designed, booklet with liner notes, rare photos of the band, recording artifacts, and more.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 04, 2022, 01:23:40 PM »

That's what I'm hearing from Amazon too.
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2022, 11:11:59 PM »

Date for streaming also changed to Dec. 2 release date.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: October 06, 2022, 06:55:59 AM »

The upcoming Beatles "Revolver" boxed set just got bumped two weeks as well (from 10/28 to 11/11), so I would imagine this is a larger label and/or industry issue with replication/manufacturing. So the dumb, miserable carping on other boards blaming the wrong people for the delay with the BB set can be ignored, if they weren't already.

And yes, when one format (vinyl being the culprit in recent times) is delayed due to manufacturing issues, they will hold back all formats so that first week sales are maximized/optimized.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2022, 10:10:07 AM »

The upcoming Beatles "Revolver" boxed set just got bumped two weeks as well (from 10/28 to 11/11), so I would imagine this is a larger label and/or industry issue with replication/manufacturing. So the dumb, miserable carping on other boards blaming the wrong people for the delay with the BB set can be ignored, if they weren't already.

And yes, when one format (vinyl being the culprit in recent times) is delayed due to manufacturing issues, they will hold back all formats so that first week sales are maximized/optimized.

If I'm not mistaken the same is happening to the new Elvis - On Tour boxset.

- Jack Rieley
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 09, 2022, 12:59:04 PM »

To answer the topic brought up above, yes, the Analogue Productions releases (vinyl and CD/SACD hybrid) are legit, licensed releases. I'm not sure what would possibly make anyone think they're not. They were/are sold through legitimate retailers, and have known names that remastered them.

They weren't discussed a ton here, but I think that was just a confluence of a bunch of things (the 2012 reissues being relatively recent at the time, not a super huge interest here in high-rez, and the incomplete nature of both reissue campaigns).

The current mode of running through the catalog and getting the albums back out there in physical form and also presenting a ton of outtakes (e.g. Feel Flows and Sail on Sailor) is ideal, and I certainly hope we continue to see the 70s covered in one form or another.
I bought all of he analogue production masters as high res downloads. They are easily the best editions of those albums. I don’t expect them to be bettered. Absolutely vital purchases.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx