gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:26:37 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "We Got Love" studio version finally getting official release!  (Read 22164 times)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2014, 08:34:55 PM »

So, I was snoopin' around on Acoustic Sounds website since they are doing those SACD Beach Boys releases or whatever. Anyways, when I clicked on Holland, look what I found...

Our Analogue Productions reissue brings back "We Got Love," a single eliminated from original U.S. copies of the album. Now added as a bonus track!

Kinda cool. I personally don't care all that much about it, but I'm sure there'll be some pretty happy people around here after hearing that.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 08:39:41 PM »

Good find! I might have to order a copy.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 08:47:55 PM »

I wonder if it's the LP version or the single

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 08:52:06 PM »

Pretty damn cool!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 08:58:10 PM »

I just listened to it.  It's the single version.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 09:00:12 PM »

Wait, there are TWO studio versions??? Where was it a single???

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 09:01:33 PM »

VERY good spot.

So separate mono and stereo 200gm LPs for each of the releases where applicable plus SACDs; $30 each over 10 albums… looking at heading for $900 dollars (Surfin' Safari mono only so $870) the lot, if you're collecting… and only one bonus track among them? Crivens!

Heck…

Sorry seeing different tales stating 10, 12 or 14 albums…
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 09:04:45 PM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 09:03:58 PM »

Does anybody have a lawn that needs cutting? A car that needs washing, maybe?
I don't know how to paint, but I'll pretend like I do if the outside of your house needs a few coats.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 09:05:48 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 09:30:16 PM »

Okay 38 products in total… x $30… = $1140.

Guessing these releases will kill the Japanese ones dead in the water … possibly …

“We live in divisive times.”
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 05:15:42 AM »

Wait, there are TWO studio versions??? Where was it a single???

There never was a single. But if you remember the Brother discs topic of a while ago (http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,17621.0.html), you might also remember that the tracklists mentioned "We Got Love (single release)". No clue what was the reason to mention this, as chances were low that it was ever considered.... but the length of the track - 5:50 - makes one wonder if there are different versions. The album version is much shorter.

So I'm definitely buying this one. I'm very curious if this could be that "single" version.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 06:40:24 AM »

I still don't know why they didn't put the song on the album. Was it hurt feelings over the record wanting another Brian song no matter what? I honestly think "Funky Pretty" would've made a cooler single than "Sail On Sailor" anyway.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2014, 08:05:11 AM »

They didn't put the song on the album because Holland was rejected for not having a potential hit single. I don't know why "We Got Love" was targeted, but it was the decision. I dunno, "Funky Pretty" is just NOT radio-friendly. Not the studio version, at least!

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2014, 08:17:34 AM »

I just listened to it.  It's the single version.

How did you hear it already?

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2014, 08:47:26 AM »

They didn't put the song on the album because Holland was rejected for not having a potential hit single. I don't know why "We Got Love" was targeted, but it was the decision. I dunno, "Funky Pretty" is just NOT radio-friendly. Not the studio version, at least!

"Funky Pretty" actually got a decent amount of AirPlay on AOR stations for a few months after HOLLAND was released.  At least in the New York market.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2014, 09:05:04 AM »

Quote from: 37!ws
They didn't put the song on the album because Holland was rejected for not having a potential hit single. I don't know why "We Got Love" was targeted, but it was the decision.
You're missing my point. Holland only has 9 songs. There was room for "We Got Love" AND "Sail On Sailor". I don't get why it was an either/or decision.
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2014, 09:12:57 AM »

According to legend, Dennis tried a take or two on lead vocal for Sail On Sailor.  Would love to hear that...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2014, 09:42:00 AM »

Not legend - fact. Halfway through the second pass, he announced he was going surfing. Blondie's vocal was recorded over his.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2014, 09:46:42 AM »

They didn't put the song on the album because Holland was rejected for not having a potential hit single. I don't know why "We Got Love" was targeted, but it was the decision.
You're missing my point. Holland only has 9 songs. There was room for "We Got Love" AND "Sail On Sailor". I don't get why it was an either/or decision.

With "Sailor" it clocked in at 36.28. Add "WGL" to that and it's over forty minutes.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2014, 09:58:08 AM »

With "Sailor" it clocked in at 36.28. Add "WGL" to that and it's over forty minutes.

Is anything known about how We Got Love was chosen as the song to get the ax? Wonder if the record label, the group, or both were involved in the decision. And is there any documented BB reaction/fallout from that?
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2014, 10:21:48 AM »

If you had to remove one song off the pre-SOS album, We Got Love is it. I like it, but not as much as the other songs and, of course, the very fact it was dropped has added to its popularity in some quarters...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2014, 10:25:16 AM »

Agreed.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2014, 10:35:42 AM »

Yeah this is amazing. So We Got Love is going to be included on the LP as well? Holland would've been one of these residues I'd avoided as I have the original, but now with this bonus track I may have to go for it.

Smiley stereo on vinyl also looks fun, plus monos for Today, SDSN and Pet Sounds. Maybe stereos for those too?!! Gulp ... it's looking like an expensive summer next year  Undecided

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2014, 10:38:08 AM »

Early test pressings of Holland, made in the US and in the UK, feature the album in its original group-intended running order. Side one kicks off with "Steamboat", then the three-part Saga, followed by "We Got Love". The German distributor for Reprise records failed to implement the changed side-one line up correctly and mistakenly pressed 300-400 copies with the earlier running order. Early French and Canadian pressings of Holland still mention "We Got Love" on the sleeve, although the song is not on those albums.

The reason it was left off of Holland musta been because the song was too long. But still, 40 somethin' minutes wasn't that long. Some cite its weak production, but if you listen to a clean copy, it's pretty good. Some say it was worthy of inclusion, some not. I say there was nothing to lose. I could see maybe the reason it was left off if it were a Blondie/Ricky credited track, but Mike was also involved, so that couldn't have been it. 6 1/2 minutes of a somewhat boring song - maybe if it were cut down a few minutes.....

"We Got Love"
 Time 6:32
 Blondie Chaplin/Ricky Fataar/Mike Love

Are you taken by surprise
 When your fellow man decides
 That what you’re doin’ isn’t right
 Do you listen, know you’re right

Well, you can keep on tellin’ lies
 That keep you deaf from people’s cries
 Well, there’s somethin’ you should see
 We got love to keep us free

We got love, we got love
 We got love and we gonna change our world, that’s right
 We got love, we got love

I made my home out in the city
 Just to see what I could find
 Though my heart was in my country
 I was not there to close my eyes
 Said, I’ve been tired of all the same
 Must’ve been a Siren in my head
 I’ve been ridin’ all my feelin’s
 All this runnin’ and my temperature won’t change

Say, you reap just what you sow
 The wise men all have told us so
 Trust those feelin’s deep within
 How you must treat your fellow man

Evolution isn’t strange
 Nature itself demands a change
 The universe is on our side
 We can’t hold back the comin’ tide

We got love, we got love
 We got love, we got love

I made my home out in the city
 Just to see what I could find
 Though my heart was in my country
 I was not there to close my eyes
 Said, I’ve been tired of all the same
 Must’ve been a Siren in my head
 I’ve been ridin’ all my feelin’s
 All this runnin’ and my temperature won’t change

P.S. I'll take "Funky Pretty" over "We Got Love" any day o' the week!   Grin
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 10:39:37 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2014, 10:41:57 AM »

yes they should have kept it on there, maybe the last song on the first side or something after the California saga before Trader, maybe they were thinking that because they were going to include the fairytale record that it may have been too much to have it on there or something..
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2014, 10:43:25 AM »

I must admit I'm a sucker for alternate track listings. I prefer the European sunflower with cottonfields tacked on the front, so this version of Holland sounds great. I just hope they are including We Got Love on the LP - not just the SACD.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx