gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 04:20:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Alan Boyd Thread  (Read 247011 times)
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 05, 2006, 08:42:11 PM »

Quote from: Alan Boyd
Actually, we do plan for a couple of very short musical tidbits to play

Which means when I'm listening to a BB album while surfing the site, I'll be wondering where that new part in "Let the Wind Blow" came from, right?  Wink
Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 05, 2006, 10:30:15 PM »

Actually, we do plan for a couple of very short musical tidbits to play when opening the pages.... but not enough to drive one to distraction.  Just a little 4 second "fanfare" as they say....

Hi Alan,

was it already determined what kind of downloads the site will offer? I am speaking both of the musical content and of the data format. (Hoping for lossless downloads!)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 10:32:49 PM by Andreas » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #252 on: June 05, 2006, 11:45:12 PM »

...still hoping for mp3s, as my crappy computer seems to hate torrents...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 05, 2006, 11:58:57 PM »

They could offer both.
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 06, 2006, 12:22:25 PM »

Here's the sort of Holy Grail thing we're all hoping for in this new Beach Boy Online endeavor, a program called UMixIt, which lets you mix up to 16 tracks of an artists song!  This, unfortunately, is probably not the exact thing we Beach Boy fans are looking for because right now it only comes along with an artist's regular CD.  Which means you can play their regular stereo CD release on your normal CD players, but then you also get one song included that you can mix when you put the CD in your computer.  Now we would definitely want more than one song to mix, we want all of the Beach Boy songs to mix!  Also, it seems Alan and the guys are setting up a download system, not a CD buying system, so this wouldn't work that way either.  But it is the kind of pie-in-the-sky thing we would love to have!

Love and merci,  Dan Lega

----

http://www.umixit.com/index.html

General

Q: What is Umixit?
A: Umixit is an exciting new way for consumers to more fully experience the joy of music. Umixit delivers an artist’s music in a format that provides 8 to 16 discrete channels, allowing the user to mix and remix the individual instruments in a song. Don’t like the keyboard part? Take it out or lower it as much as you want. Want to emphasize the vocal or bass? Crank it up! Plus there are open tracks for you to record new instruments or vocal parts. Create an instant remix by replacing acoustic drums with the included dance loops.
Q: Does Umixit require a special type of disk?
A: The beauty of Umixit is that it works with the same Compact Disks that are in use today. You can even use it with DVDs or whatever media the future brings.

The compact disk will behave like any other disk when played in a home or car stereo. When placed in the computers CD or DVD drive, however, the user will be prompted to install and launch the Umixit content and software.

Q: How much room does this take up on the disk?
A: The amount of space used depends on the length of the original song. For example, 100 megabytes of space equates to about 10 minutes of music. This is roughly the same amount of space that a music video or interactive multimedia would require.

Q: What’s included as part of the Umixit content?
A: A Umixit disk will contain, in addition the artist’s original audio tracks, an 8-track version of a song, a 16-track version (where available), a collection of royalty-free ACID-format loops, and the Cakewalk Media Mixer application.

Q: How do I use the included Umixit content?
A: Simply place the disk in your computer’s drive and you will be prompted to install the included song and application. Once you agree, the material will be installed and automatically launched inside the Cakewalk Media Mixer. Here you can rework and remix a song in a replica studio environment, including a mixer, effects processing, editing and recording tools.

Q: What's the difference between UMixit and Media Mixer? Are they the same thing?
A: UMixit is the name of the company which puts the technology and artist content onto disks. Media Mixer is a component of this technology which allows you to mix and edit the content.

Q: What specs does my computer have to have?
A: To run the included Media Mixer software, you will need:
*Windows Media 10
* Windows 2000 or XP
* 1 GHz processor (Intel or AMD)
* 256 MB RAM
* 200 MB free hard disk space
* 1024 X 768, 16-bit color
* CD-ROM drive (for installation)
* Windows-compatible sound card

Q: Can I share the songs from my disk with a friend?
A: Umixit songs use secure licensing so that only the owner of the disk may install and use the included songs.

Q: Can I download new songs from the internet?
A: At this time, Umixit songs will only be available as part of commercially released CDs and DVDs.

Q: What if I want to share my remix with a friend or burn it to a disk?
A: Finished songs can be exported as 128 KBPS Windows Media files to be played Media Player, portable devices, or burned to a compact disk.

Q: This is fun, I want to get deeper. What’s the next step?
A: For users who want to get even deeper, an upgrade is offered (where available). By taking advantage of the upgrade, users will receive access to the 16-track songs on the disk, and also receive additional effects for processing tracks. In addition, genre and instrument based loop libraries are available, allowing the user to bring in new instrumentation like drums or synthesizers.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #255 on: June 07, 2006, 07:52:03 AM »

I'm still very much hoping for actual CD releases! Some people are still on dial-up which would make even MP3's a hassle to download when we're talking about albums worth of material, let alone lossless formats. Plus, many of those who even have high speed connections would like the CD quality of actual CD's. Plus there's the whole "having the finished product to hold in your hands" thing.

I hope everything made available is made available on CD. If downloads are made available in addition, that would be great for those that are into that. I just hope that there aren't any "download exclusives" or material distributed exclusively on ITunes or anything like that.

In another thread, somebody mentioned this program might be something like a label called "FTD" that issues Elvis material. I don't know much about this Elvis program, but that program appears to consist of actual physical CD releases, which is how I hope the BB material would be done. I realize doing physical CD releases might be cost prohibitive compared to just putting the stuff up for download given the relatively small audience these releases might have. But I'd gladly pay a premium for these CD's. I know one thing: I know many other fans who are on dialup connections and/or aren't technically inclined enough to deal with a download system who would gladly pay a premium price for actual CD releases, but who probably wouldn't bother paying for downloads and instead just let more technically inclined fans get the download files into CD format and get a burned copy.

I've been hearing very definitive yet conflicting comments from fans. Some say these will be CD releases, but even more say it will be download-only. I would imagine the wheels are already in motion on this project and it has already been decided how it will work. But if anybody is listening and can still change anything, please release this BB material on actual CD's! You can even do it on burned CD's like the "Instant Live Recordings" company that follows bands on tour and burns the show to CD and then sells it right after the show. Talk to Al Jardine about "Disc Makers", they are a company that does high quality short runs of real, glass mastered CD's. These days, doing it on CD can't be that cost prohibitive. Okay, enough of my lobbying. Smiley

« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 07:54:08 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
MBE
« Reply #256 on: June 07, 2006, 08:44:45 AM »

I hope for vinyl
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 07, 2006, 12:03:47 PM »

We are - so far - planning on releasing material...on CD.  And through downloads.
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 07, 2006, 12:06:53 PM »

and now that i have a job i can afford all the sweet goodness coming our way    Grin

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 07, 2006, 12:17:04 PM »

We are - so far - planning on releasing material...on CD.  And through downloads.

That's excellent news!  I've got slow modem dial-up at home, too, so I appreciate that there will be CD's I can buy.

Thanks,  Alan!

Love and merci,   Dan Lega
Ken.W
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #260 on: June 07, 2006, 12:34:56 PM »

Hi, Alan.

Can you give us any indication as to when the website goes "live"?

Ken.

"You're entitled to protect your copyright. You're not entitled to control the Internet," - Federal Court Justice Murray Wilcox
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 07, 2006, 04:39:05 PM »

Hi Ken,

Well, spurred on by GoofyJeff, we're now seriously looking into the possibility of an official launch date of July 4th.

(Thanks, Jeff!)

Keep your fingers crossed!  We gotta lotta work ahead of us to get this going....

Alan
Ken.W
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #262 on: June 07, 2006, 11:34:41 PM »

Thanks, Alan!

Of course .. July 4th would be the perfect date for the launch  w00t!

"You're entitled to protect your copyright. You're not entitled to control the Internet," - Federal Court Justice Murray Wilcox
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 08, 2006, 04:48:15 AM »

Well, spurred on by GoofyJeff, we're now seriously looking into the possibility of an official launch date of July 4th.

Well I just thought it'd be an appropriate date, with the history that July 4th has in BBland, and seeing as though it's a Tuesday this year, typically the day new music gets released.

In any case, you're most welcome for the suggestion   Cool

[cue Carl's voice] Fourth of Julyyyyyyyyyy...... [/Carl]

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #264 on: June 13, 2006, 04:07:25 PM »

Alan, didn't you go to the event? I see you're online.... just wondering

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 13, 2006, 05:14:16 PM »

Nope - I didn't attend.  Trying to get myself out from under some serious deadlines here....
Jason
« Reply #266 on: June 22, 2006, 03:46:25 PM »

Alan, I have a suggestion for the new beachboyscentral.com site. Disregard it if you will.

Have you guys considered something like a "Rarity of the Month" or something similar? Every month, along with the releases you intend to bring out, you guys release a special track as a paid download. Something to keep the fans' appetite going.
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 23, 2006, 10:46:00 AM »

Alan, I have a suggestion for the new beachboyscentral.com site. Disregard it if you will.

Have you guys considered something like a "Rarity of the Month" or something similar? Every month, along with the releases you intend to bring out, you guys release a special track as a paid download. Something to keep the fans' appetite going.

Oooooh, good suggestion Jason!!!   Me like.....  me like a lot!

-Dennis Wilson, 1970
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 23, 2006, 02:26:51 PM »

I don't expect that paid downloads will help those of us who can't use credit cards...  Undecided

I hope there will be alternatives. TIA.
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #269 on: June 25, 2006, 02:29:30 PM »

This is all really exciting news! I can't wait  Cool

Thanks to all who are making an effort for rare BB material to finally be released.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 09:28:18 PM by Old_Master_Painter » Logged

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: June 25, 2006, 07:12:21 PM »

official unreleased Beach Boys material

That doesn't make sense.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #271 on: June 26, 2006, 09:38:56 AM »

That doesn't make sense.

It does. All the bootlegs are released stuff, but they are not official....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #272 on: June 26, 2006, 09:40:34 AM »

thank you, Rocker.

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 26, 2006, 10:50:04 AM »

It's one of those problems, like in physics where you'll have experiments that you ruin simply by conducting them.  You can have official unreleased material, but only before it's released.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 26, 2006, 03:21:31 PM »

That doesn't make sense.

It does. All the bootlegs are released stuff, but they are not official....

No, bootlegs are unreleased material.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 22 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx