gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 08:51:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Alan Boyd Thread  (Read 246982 times)
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 30, 2006, 06:49:50 AM »

The song on that collection is not "Down South In San Diego", it's "Everybody's Waiting".  As it says at the bottom of the track info, both songs were the theme songs of Beach Boy Conventions in California. 

>> "Everybody's Waiting" was used as the official song of the 1992 San Diego Beach Boys Convention, as was Alan's "Down South in San Diego" in 1990. <<

I believe both songs can be found on Alan's own CD, along with a lot of other nifty Alan Boyd songs!

Love and merci,    Dan Lega
nosticker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 30, 2006, 02:41:10 PM »

The song on that collection is not "Down South In San Diego", it's "Everybody's Waiting".  As it says at the bottom of the track info, both songs were the theme songs of Beach Boy Conventions in California. 

>> "Everybody's Waiting" was used as the official song of the 1992 San Diego Beach Boys Convention, as was Alan's "Down South in San Diego" in 1990. <<

I believe both songs can be found on Alan's own CD, along with a lot of other nifty Alan Boyd songs!

Love and merci,    Dan Lega

"Everybody's Waiting" is just phenomenal!  When I first heard it on IN MY ROOM, I remember thinking, "Geez, this is better than the actual band!". Then of course, there was Darian's "Regrets", which also is killer and is the way the song should have been done IMHO.
At the time, I thought, "This guy Darian is pretty good!".  Little did I know...........

Dan
MBE
« Reply #202 on: April 02, 2006, 09:27:11 PM »

What Beach Boys recordings did Bruce play on for "So Tough", "Holland", and "Love You"
SMiLEY
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated Ruins Domino

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 02, 2006, 10:18:25 PM »

Bruce is probably on a song or two from So Tough, but he was not in attendance at the Holland sessions or for Love You.

Look! Listen! Vibrate! SMiLE!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 03, 2006, 06:12:31 AM »

what about I'll Bet He's Nice? he's clearly on the ending 'well it's you'

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 03, 2006, 08:04:38 PM »

Hi there,

I finally have a MySpace page up and running:

http://www.myspace.com/alanboydmusic

It would have been "...com/alanboyd" but that was already taken by someone with some obscene content on their page... yikes.

AB
MBE
« Reply #206 on: April 03, 2006, 09:23:03 PM »

I know he is on Calfornia Saga but I still am curious what else he did with the group on those albums.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: April 05, 2006, 08:22:48 AM »

Bruce has said that on "Carl - So Tough" he is only on "Marcella" (and only backup vocals), but that he was there when Brian cut the track for "Mess Of Help".  Likewise, the outtake called "Rooftop Harry".  Plus, Bruce did a version of "Ten Years' Harmony" at the "So Tough" sessions.

He overdubbed vocals onto "California" when the group brought those tapes back to L.A. from Holland.  That's the only "Holland" song he's reported to be on.

Yes, he's definitely on "I'll Bet He's Nice", especially the tag, and "Good Time", which is from the "Sunflower" era. 

He's not on "MIU" at all, and apparently proud of it.

C-Man
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: April 07, 2006, 03:58:43 PM »

Hey Alan,
do you know about that new "Beach Boys in London '66" DVD? Did you have any involvement?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 07, 2006, 05:41:52 PM »

I wasn't involved in putting that DVD together, but I did go through the footage during a trip to the UK in 2004 - it's Peter Whitehead's 1966 film "The Beach Boys In London," with (I imagine) the surviving outtakes.  The original released film was about 20 minutes long, but almost all of the original shoot reels have survived.

It's really cool stuff - it's great fun to see the 1966 touring group hanging out in swinging London (and seeing girls literally flinging themselves at Mike. Carl and Dennis during a live show).

I'm not sure how they've put it together for the DVD, but even so I'd reccommend it highly to BB fans, 60s music fans, and anyone who's into that whole 1966 London scene.  Not only that, but the film is in beautiful color - looks like it was shot yesterday!

AB
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: April 11, 2006, 04:26:44 PM »

Hey Alan, quick question I don't think I've seen the answer to yet.

That new 40th Anniversary edition of Pet Sounds that's coming out this year (June?)... will it contain the recently discovered, lower gen master?  Or is it simply a rehash of the 2001 edition in terms of sound?

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 12, 2006, 10:20:07 AM »

I don't know yet.  That's still being decided....
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 13, 2006, 08:12:36 PM »

I don't know yet.  That's still being decided....

Not that my opinion matters, but you can tell the good folks at Capitol that I won't buy the 40th Anniversary edition unless it contains the newly found master   Smiley

Ah, who am I kidding, I'll buy it regardless... but don't tell your bosses in the tower that!

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: April 17, 2006, 10:53:39 AM »

Hi Alan:

Can you tell me what tapes you've located on "Amusement Parks U.S.A."? 
I noticed that the instrumental track on S.O.T. is in mono, yet it has what I think are two overdubs:  the carnival sound effects and Hal's "barker" voice.  I think this is coming from a "Generation Two" 3-track tape that has this as one track, and then the two vocal overdubs.  Which means the original unmixed session tape could be lost.  And, here's another interesting thing:  there's a different set of vocals on the S.O.T. version, which could mean a couple of things, but one possibility is that these alternate vocals (with different lyrics in several places) were the original vocals done on the second 3-track tape at Western, then later they took the first 3-track tape over to Columbia, where they transferred the three tracks (music, carnival sounds, and Hal doing the barker voice) over to the 8-track and added the final vocals there.   Afterwards, the original 3-track tape and the 8-track tape might've been left at Columbia, like lots of tapes were, only to have been returned to Brother in the '80s after the Boys left that label.

Is that possible?

Thanks,
Craig
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 17, 2006, 12:57:16 PM »

Hi C-man,

I'm afraid I haven't listened to either the original 1/2" 3 trk or the 1" 8 trk masters on that song yet.  All I can tell you is that we have both in the vaults.

Mark Linett got the original 1" comp reel for SUMMER DAYS back from CBS back in the early 1990s.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #215 on: April 17, 2006, 03:29:11 PM »

Well, at least that answers one question...why the alternate vocals would still exist, and not have been wiped out when the new vocals were recorded.  It's because the new vocals were done on 8-track.

Thanks Alan!

Craig
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: April 17, 2006, 03:53:55 PM »

Alan, can you tell me which of the "Summer Days" songs exist on 8-track masters...or maybe it'd be easier to say which ones don't...I'm assuming "Girl From NYC", "Then I Kissed Her", "Girl Don't Tell Me", and "Help Me, Rhonda" are 3-track only..?

Craig
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 17, 2006, 05:13:35 PM »

You got it right.

AND YOUR DREAM COMES TRUE is on a separate 1/2" reel. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: April 21, 2006, 01:01:02 PM »

I have a question which just hit me, which others may or may not find particularly interesting: Are there any tapes in the BB's vaults of stuff from the BB '85 album? I would imagine there are some mixdowns and stuff that presumably could have been put onto tape. I would imagine rough compilations of the album could be on tape. Wasn't "At the Hop" dropped at the last second? I believe there are acetates of rough compilations of the album with rough mixes of some of the songs (and things like an alternate all-Al lead vocal on "California Calling"). I'm just curious if there are DAT multitracks for that album, or how that material, if any, was archived. For that matter, how did they master that album? Did the master stay digital all along the way, or was anything mixed to analog prior to mastering for CD?

Probably more interestingly, is there anything in the vaults containing Brian's attempt during the sessions to record "Oh Lord"? I've always wondered what that would have sounded like, and if Dennis would have received a co-writing credit on it.

I have this weird picture in my head of a BB tape vault that has a ton of tapes, and then, what, an Apple computer harddrive for the "Summer in Paradise" multitracks and outtakes? Smiley

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 21, 2006, 02:53:27 PM »

There IS a stack of digital multitracks and early assemblies of that 1985 album in the vaults - "At The Hop" was indeed on the first assembly of the album.

"Oh Lord" is not listed among any of the outtakes for that project, but we haven't pulled any of those tapes yet, so I can't say for sure that it's NOT there (there are a few generic titles like "Ballad" and "Brian vocal" and "Reggae 1" listed on some of those tape boxes).

There's also an unfinished early version of CALIFORNIA CALLING recorded at Rumbo in 1982 at the same sessions that resulted in the mix of CALIFORNIA DREAMIN' that was on that Radio Shack cassette.

Ken.W
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: April 21, 2006, 04:48:16 PM »

I know the obvious question would be to ask you about the contents of the box on the far right hand side ( .. but I think that's been answered before waaay back), but please could you shed any light on 3 of the other boxes in that stack?

.. the ones that say 'Summer Concert' ( .. 8th box in from the left), 'Remote / St. Paul' ( .. 12th box in from the left) and 'Misc Beach Boy Material' ( .. 13th from the left) ?

"You're entitled to protect your copyright. You're not entitled to control the Internet," - Federal Court Justice Murray Wilcox
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 21, 2006, 04:49:33 PM »

being in that room must be glooorious!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 21, 2006, 09:31:26 PM »

do i see a tape: 'Bellago/Holland?' along with another 'holland?' different mixes? versions with We got Love?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 22, 2006, 01:34:50 PM »

Every last one of these tapes in this picture is missing from the archive.

Alan
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 22, 2006, 04:46:16 PM »

Every last one of these tapes in this picture is missing from the archive.

Alan

whoa! any particular reason as to why?

thats nuts!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 22 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx