gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 03:10:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Alan Boyd Thread  (Read 247647 times)
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 17, 2006, 12:24:51 PM »

Sorry - didn't see that qualifier in your list.
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 17, 2006, 01:02:35 PM »

Sorry - didn't see that qualifier in your list.

In all fairness I think I type-o'd on that track listing.  The Brian song is actually "Hard Time" (no 's').  I'd still like to know what the difference is between this, "Rolling Up to Heaven", "Ding Dang" and "Clangin'".

I know, I've reached the ninth degree of Beach Boy obsessiveness.  Wall
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 12:01:43 AM by Jason Penick » Logged

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 17, 2006, 08:49:23 PM »

I'd still like to know what the difference is between this, "Rolling Up to Heaven", "Ding Dang" and "Clangin'".

I know, I've reached the ninth degree of Beach Boy obsessivenes.  Wall

But you'll sure look swell in that white wrap-around coat, Jason!
;-)

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
SMiLEY
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated Ruins Domino

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 17, 2006, 10:47:38 PM »

Alan--

Do the recordings that Dennis and Brian made in the early eighties, (sometimes known as the cocaine tapes) reside in the BB vault? If so, what kind of tape was used? Were they multi-track?

Look! Listen! Vibrate! SMiLE!
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 18, 2006, 05:41:47 PM »

I think "Rollin' Up To Heaven" and that strange Caribou version of "Ding Dang" (the one where Brian is singing "hard time") are one and the same, although the tape box only lists it as "Brian's Tune."

There is a very rough unfinished track called "Clangin'" from 1976 that, as I recall (haven't heard this for awhile), sounds an awful lot like "I'm The Pied Piper," except Brian has overdubbed himslef a couple of times singing "Clangin' clangin', dingin' a dangin' and-a clangin' clangin'...." over and over and over again.  And again.  And again.

Just recently we DID find a very rough take of The Beach Boys - the guys around the piano at Brother Studio (same session where they filmed "I'm Bugged At My Old Man" for the 1976 TV special) - singing the "Wow Mama Yama Holy Hallelujah" part as Brian plays (can you guess?).... the "Shortenin' Bread" riff, which he pounds out here at about the same tempo as his version of "Proud Mary."  Not the same riff as "Clangin" or that 1974 "Ding Dang" version.
pavlos brenos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: March 19, 2006, 03:32:57 AM »

Hi Alan,
            Have you found the Stanley Shapiro/Tandyn Almer/Brian Wilson remakes-of-BBs-classics tapes yet and have you got any interesting news/over-views to share?
Thanks
Cabana Boy
« Reply #181 on: March 19, 2006, 12:35:21 PM »

According to the AFM sheet, the track for "Seasons" was laid down by Terry Jacks at Brian's studio on
July 31 and August 4, 1970.  Players on the first session were Earl Palmer (drums), Sonny Curtis & Mike Deasy (guitars), and Lyle Ritz (bass).  Virgil Evans (trumpet) overdubbed his part at the second session.

Cheers, Jason and C-man. S'pose I should get that Badman book. Figured it could wait, after the muted reception it got. Been more concerned with getting a hold of the McParland stuff I was missing.
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 20, 2006, 02:34:54 PM »

Does anyone have the recording dates for the versions of "Be My Baby" and "Calendar Girl" that appear on the California Feeling boot?

I've been told that "Be My Baby" is an Adult/ Child outtake from early '77, and that "Calendar Girl" is from the 1978 LA sessions, but I'm not entirely sure that these are accurate dates.

Any info appreciated!!

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 20, 2006, 03:19:30 PM »

Haven't found anything from the A&M writing sessions with Brian, Stan and Tandyn Almer apart from one cassette that we're planning to transfer soon.  Not exactly sure what's on it....

BE MY BABY was recorded in 1980 in sessions up at Mike's place in Santa Barbara.

CALENDAR GIRL was recorded at Criteria in Miami in August 1978.  The group later redid the song again (copyinng Brian's aarraangement but smoothing out the rhythm section) a few months later.
pavlos brenos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 20, 2006, 05:59:33 PM »

Thanks for that Alan: I hope it is superb and releasable!
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 20, 2006, 06:13:02 PM »

Thank you, Alan!  I'm so happy you didn't overlook my obscure question.   Cool Guy

SUICIDE
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 21, 2006, 08:34:53 AM »

Cheers, Jason and C-man. S'pose I should get that Badman book. Figured it could wait, after the muted reception it got. Been more concerned with getting a hold of the McParland stuff I was missing.

Beware!! The Badman book is a minefield of factual errors and contradictions. I love the format...but it needed some serious proof reading by an expert.

Cabana Boy
« Reply #187 on: March 21, 2006, 11:46:24 AM »

Cheers, Stebs. Gonna wind up getting it, anyways. Just got shoved down the list of musts.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 22, 2006, 05:51:12 AM »

yeah, but dont you want the BB's, Hal Blaine's, Carol Kaye's, (etc.) Social Security Numbers?    Razz

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Cabana Boy
« Reply #189 on: March 22, 2006, 12:26:51 PM »

I could use those for something... yeah.
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 22, 2006, 01:28:21 PM »

Two more for you Alan, and I'll swear I'll stop pestering you with these obscure recording date questions!

"Won't You Tell Me"; The Brian/ Murry/ Rick Henn/ Dennis collaboration.  Badman says it's from 1971 vintage.  (I'm assuming he has some AMF documentation to back that up.)  Andrew Doe has it as on his webpage as being from 1969.  I also read it's from 1970 on another website.  Can you set us straight on the date?

The other one I'm uncertain about is the track mis-labeled as "Surf's Up (with 'Child Is Father to The Man' tag). Dutch TV 1972" on the Long Lost Surf Songs vol. 4 boot.  I remember reading a long time ago that this was actually an alternate studio take of "Surf's Up", and it sure sounds that way.  I'd be REALLY interested to know the circumstances surrounding this obscure recording.  Afro
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 11:56:24 AM by Jason Penick » Logged

SUICIDE
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 22, 2006, 05:14:02 PM »

Hey Alan ol' friend (you never write; you never call!) ;-)

You might also want to talk to Rob Santos -- there's a strange version of "Ding Dang" in the RCA (I guess now Sony BMG) vaults with all of the Equinox stuff.  It's somebody strange on lead vocals that I wasn't able to recognize...

p.s.: The master tape of "London's a Lonely Town" is there too!

Lee
Cabana Boy
« Reply #192 on: March 23, 2006, 03:20:19 AM »

there's a strange version of "Ding Dang" in the RCA (I guess now Sony BMG) vaults with all of the Equinox stuff.  It's somebody strange on lead vocals that I wasn't able to recognize...

Brian started work on a version of 'Ding Dang' for California Music. Part of his 36 song deal with Equinox. That's probably what you heard.
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 23, 2006, 09:36:31 AM »

The date on the 2" master for WON'T YOU TELL ME is 6/19/71.... and the mixdown tape is dated 8/24/71. 

There are a few mixes on that tape highlighting Brian and Carl's doubled lead vocal.

Hii Lee!
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 24, 2006, 07:58:49 AM »

Thanks again, Alan!  I've posted that purported alternate 70s studio version of "Surf's Up" in case it doesn't reside in the vaults.  Hoping that you or somebody else could ID it:

http://s9.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1WCN5KX6DLZG60QKJTN1103K3F

SUICIDE
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: March 24, 2006, 08:05:54 AM »

Sounds like some kind of live rehearsal or something.  Strange.
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 24, 2006, 12:14:23 PM »

Sounds like some kind of live rehearsal or something.  Strange.

That was my thought too.  I really like how they arranged the ending.

SUICIDE
bryand
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 24, 2006, 08:31:50 PM »

The track that you posted is from the Beach Boys performance on the Gran Gala Du Disque TV Show from early 1972. Other tracks performed at this show are, "Heroes and Villains" "Sloop John B", and "Student Demonstration Time".

Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 24, 2006, 08:45:10 PM »

Thanks.  That's what I originally thought too, but then I read a thread awhile back on a different message board that said that this version of "Surf's Up" was mislabelled as being from that TV show, but was actually recorded a year later in the studio.  I don't know where that poster got their information from though, and I didn't archive the thread, so I guess I'll chalk it up as faulty info, unless I hear otherwise.

SUICIDE
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: March 29, 2006, 07:11:13 PM »

Alan, what song is Brad referring to in this post?

Is it the song discussed here?:  http://www2.gol.com/users/davidr/m&m/roominfo.html

[PSML] Re: Down to San Diego

To: <petsounds@landlocked.iwaynet.net>
Reply-To: petsounds@landlocked.iwaynet.net
Date: Feb 27 2001 - 8:12pm

Somebody else probably has responded to this by now (I'm on the digest, so I
don't see all the posts right away), but in case they haven't ...

Dave Marshall wrote:

> Can someone help me remember the details concerning this song that I
believe
> had something to do with a BB convention?
>
> who wrote it, who is singing etc...?

To which Leon Lively responded:

> Al Jardine wrote/recorded it for the Beach Boys convention in 1991. It may
> have been a year or two earlier.

It's not Alan JARDINE! Rather, it's our own esteemed Alan BOYD of "Endless
Harmony" and "Hawthorne" fame! He wrote it and he's singing it! Step
forward and take a bow, Alan!

Surf's up!
Brad
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 07:19:50 PM by Charles LePage » Logged

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere