gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680746 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 11:23:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Alan Boyd Thread  (Read 246909 times)
Cabana Boy
« Reply #100 on: February 27, 2006, 02:45:07 AM »

Question for Alan Boyd, or anyone who remembers the post to which I'm about to refer.
On a 'Poops / Hubba Hubba' thread a while back, Alan wound up making a post that roughly detailed when the following tunes were tracked, plus some accompanying info. I'd just like to have my memory refreshed on that, if it's no bother.

They were:
- 'I'm Going Your Way / California Slide'
- 'It's A New Day'

Any info on when the tune 'Hard Times' was done would be groovy, too.
And 'Carry Me Home'? I always assumed, supposedly being the first piece of studio work Blondie and Ricky took part in, that this would have been cut in the latter part of '71. Someone else once alluded to knowing - without doubt - that it was done sometime early in '72. But I'm the distrustful, hunch-following type. Anyone know fer sure?

Ta,
xxmoixx
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: February 27, 2006, 04:48:34 AM »

Any info on when the tune 'Hard Times' was done would be groovy, too.
And 'Carry Me Home'? I always assumed, supposedly being the first piece of studio work Blondie and Ricky took part in, that this would have been cut in the latter part of '71. Someone else once alluded to knowing - without doubt - that it was done sometime early in '72. But I'm the distrustful, hunch-following type. Anyone know fer sure?

Ta,
xxmoixx

"Carry Me Home" is a "Holland" outtake, written by Dennis (and maybe Gregg Jakobsen).

C-Man
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 27, 2006, 08:55:20 AM »

Alan, can you comment on this?

http://www.musictap.net/Archives/Posts/Posts06/ArchivalPosts2006Feb01218.html#021706

Scroll to the very bottom.  This is the first semiofficial word of looks like it might be the long-awaited-and-hoped-for GV sessions set.  Can you give us any scoop, or are your hands tied?
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 27, 2006, 09:11:02 AM »

"Capitol will push The Beach Boys' Good Vibrations - 40th Anniversary from April 18 to the new perch of August 15."

Watch out for snakes!
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 27, 2006, 02:42:48 PM »

It could also be a 40th anniversary-branded hits anthology.
Ken.W
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: February 27, 2006, 03:33:16 PM »

.. can't see that myself

"You're entitled to protect your copyright. You're not entitled to control the Internet," - Federal Court Justice Murray Wilcox
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: February 27, 2006, 03:48:14 PM »

Maybe someone got "GV" confussed with a certain 1966 LP.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 27, 2006, 04:33:24 PM »

It's marking the aniversary of the release of GV? Is it the long awaited GV box we were hoping for in 1997?

Nah.............we couldn't get that lucky.

Bob
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 27, 2006, 04:58:15 PM »

I'm still waiting for the Rarities set promised in 1994 (see the 30 Years box set liners)...

oh and the SMiLE set that keeps getting promised.  Remember "The Smile Era" that was to have come out in the mid 90s I think?

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 27, 2006, 05:02:09 PM »

Word on the street is that Brian is letting his version stand as the finished SMILE project and does not want any of the outtakes released as a set.
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 27, 2006, 05:37:27 PM »

It could also be a 40th anniversary-branded hits anthology.

40th anniversary of what though?  Why make a GH in honor of one song?  Especially given that the project has been proposed for going on 10 years now?
Maybe someone got "GV" confussed with a certain 1966 LP.

I could actually see that, esp. since there is supposedly a 40th anniversary of PS due out according to rumors.  But we can hope for the other one...
XY
« Reply #111 on: February 27, 2006, 09:46:37 PM »

"Capitol will push The Beach Boys' Good Vibrations - 40th Anniversary from April 18 to the new perch of August 15."

Maybe it's a re-release of the 30 years GV boxset with 2 new unreleased tracks, so we all have to buy it again! :D
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 28, 2006, 04:42:24 AM »

Word on the street is that Brian is letting his version stand as the finished SMILE project and does not want any of the outtakes released as a set.

Is this since David Leaf announced (with Brian present) that a Smile sessions box was likely in the coming year or two? I am really hoping that this Smile box is going to turn up in 40th anniversary style in 2007 (I don't know when the exact 40th anniversary would be though - perhaps the missed January 67 release date would be the least arbitary choice). If Brian doesn't want it out then you have to respect that but it would be a downer to say the least.

Alan - this must be a question you get tired of but what are your thoughts on the likelihood of a Smile box in the near future? Thanks
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 04:44:55 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 28, 2006, 10:47:29 AM »

Alan, over on the thread about the "best mono Pet Sounds" we've been discussing exactly what's going on with the "missing elements" issue.  IE Brian's Bridge vocal on Wouldn't It Be Nice vs. Mike's.

Mark's original technical liner notes indicate that the vocals in question were simply taped over, but it's been suggested there might have been an later multitrack that is missing that contains the vocals appearing on the final LP.

We'd love to have you weigh in.
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 28, 2006, 11:04:42 AM »

I think Mike's part was taped over, and then an older mixdown of that part of the song was used when Brian mixed it to mono (there are lots of alternate mixes of that song, almost all of which feature Mike on the bridge).  There's a slightly klunky edit as the moono version heads into that section of the song.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 28, 2006, 04:04:23 PM »

I'd love to know why Brian taped over that stuff after it was all mixed down and "finished."

Anyway, Alan I brought this up after the cotton fields discussion on Steve's thread, you mentioned that the Single version of CF was cut onto 16-track, I wondered if that was the first Beach Boys production cut directly onto 16-track?
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 28, 2006, 04:09:17 PM »

Probably because he figured he didnt need it anymore, and if he kept it he'd keep lookin back like 'maybe I should do this, or that'...once its recorded over, theres nothing he can do.

thats what I do sometimes :/

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 28, 2006, 06:07:44 PM »

Cotton Fields just might be the first 16 track recording, at least as far as the basic track is concerned.  They later finished it on 8 track.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 28, 2006, 06:11:04 PM »

Well, Al certainly put all 22 total tracks to extremely, extremely good use.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 02, 2006, 12:21:56 PM »

Alan, another question originating from a discussion in another thread:

Joe Osborn was credited with "fuzz bass" on an early session for "Got To Know the Woman."

Is there any indication of a fuzz bass that was left out of the final mix?  This is particularly interesting for me because somehow Joe managed to avoid working with the Beach Boys, except for this time, which seems to have gone unheard.
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 02, 2006, 12:30:28 PM »

There appearrs to be an unused take with a listing for "fuzz guitar," separate from a bass track....
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 02, 2006, 12:39:23 PM »

Very interesting.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 04, 2006, 01:36:05 PM »

Alan, impossibly detailed and involved question here which you of course are under no obligation to answer:

Of the songs recorded during the Sunflower/Surf's up era, I'm interested in how many feature just two tracks of drums on the final multi-track.  That is, how many final mixdowns were working with only stereo drums, as opposed to three or four tracks?

And of the songs that were sourced from multiple generations of tapes, did any first generation tapes feature 3 or four tracks of drums, say, only to be mixed to stereo for the final multi-track?

Basically what I'm trying to get at is this:

On modern recordings, of course, Drums often occupy anywhere from 10-15 tracks at mixdown.  Steve has expressed his preference for more minimal techniues for mic-ing and recording drums, and I share his views.

So I'm interested if there is any "paper trail" of Steve's use of more than two tracks for drums.  I'm sure he did this, and I'm sure most records of this are lost due to bounce downs from within the same tape, but I'm interested just the same.
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 04, 2006, 05:17:19 PM »

A quick lopok at the surviving tracks heets indicates that on almost all of these 1969-1970 tracks, there are simply DRUMS LEFT and DRUMS RIGHT.

There are a couple of exceptions.... GOOD TIME seems to have extra snare and hi hat track assignments, overdubs after the basic track had been laid down.... TEARS IN THE MORNING has a separate track labeled KICK BASS... but for the most part it appears to be drums left and right.

We don't have complete track sheets on all of these songs, though - there may be other exceptions.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 05, 2006, 09:18:54 AM »

That works.  Thanks.  I love learning about this stuff!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 22 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx