gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:32:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 113 114 115 [116] 117 118 119 120 121 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 841505 times)
humanoidboogie
Smiley Smile Associate

deer

View Profile
« Reply #2875 on: January 13, 2021, 01:58:33 AM »

BTW, looking on Tidal, details say ”copyright 2020 Iconic Artists Group, LLC”. I’m beginning to doubt that this is an official release... No sign of UMG/Capitol anywhere.
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2876 on: January 13, 2021, 03:30:06 AM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 04:03:14 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2877 on: January 13, 2021, 04:47:51 AM »

Word on the street is that it *is* an official release, like it or not. It just doesn't involve the usual suspects of Mark Linett et al. Also, the powers that be have said before that recordings of Beach Boys concerts from 1970 are virtually nonexistent, so if you're going to have a collection of 1970 stuff, what you have is pretty much what exists. It appears that they basically did a Beat the Boots kind of thing, like Zappa did: just basically dump what's on the boots.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
humanoidboogie
Smiley Smile Associate

deer

View Profile
« Reply #2878 on: January 13, 2021, 07:02:27 AM »

Someone """acquired""" the apparently lossless download and none of the spectrograms exceed 192kbps MP3 quality, sometimes less, so if you have the original bootlegs on CD they're probably higher fidelity than this. Supports the idea that some were just ripped from YouTube.

The first track on the Tidal version comes with a few seconds from a Youtube ad. Classy! I think you’re right about the streaming versions being ripped from Youtube.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2879 on: January 13, 2021, 08:30:39 AM »

BTW, looking on Tidal, details say ”copyright 2020 Iconic Artists Group, LLC”. I’m beginning to doubt that this is an official release... No sign of UMG/Capitol anywhere.

The plot thickens.

Granted, anyone can paste a copyright or ownership tag on anything posted online, the more dubious the more likely it can be done, HOWEVER:

Take a look at this discussion which fell off the radar here a few months ago:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,27459.0.html

"Iconic Artists Group" is under the same umbrella of LLC's and business entities as "Iconic Brothers LLC", which is - as you can read at that link - The LLC listed June 26, 2020 that acquired the BB's song titles from Mike's interests. Again, read the link. "Iconic Artists", "Iconic Brothers"...those company names are attached to multiple interests sharing the same corporate address as Irving Azoff's various interests, as Azoff is a co-founder and owner of "Iconic Artists". For those unaware of who Irving Azoff is, google the name.

So if this dump of live material is listed to "Iconic Artists Group LLC", it connects directly to the group of interests and LLC's under the "Iconic" umbrella of holdings and Irving Azoff's interests, and that signing over of Mike's interests in the songs listed in the public documents at the link above into "Iconic Brothers".

That's all I'll post about it, but for those interested in going down the rabbit hole and some truly inside baseball, the links to start with are there.

That is, unless someone just felt like tagging "Iconic Artists Group LLC" onto a collection of bootlegged live tracks ripped from other sources...but I doubt that's the case.

Happy digging.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
sloopjohnb72
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2880 on: January 13, 2021, 11:28:35 AM »

Word on the street is that it *is* an official release, like it or not. It just doesn't involve the usual suspects of Mark Linett et al. Also, the powers that be have said before that recordings of Beach Boys concerts from 1970 are virtually nonexistent, so if you're going to have a collection of 1970 stuff, what you have is pretty much what exists. It appears that they basically did a Beat the Boots kind of thing, like Zappa did: just basically dump what's on the boots.
Not true on concerts from 1970 being virtually nonexistent. There are a couple in the vaults. But of course that isn't relevant since the people who put this release together have zero access to multitrack concerts, or anything other than bootlegs.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2881 on: January 13, 2021, 12:01:30 PM »

"A couple in the vaults" as opposed to, say, a big percent of their concerts = "virtually nonexistent." Note the adverb.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
humanoidboogie
Smiley Smile Associate

deer

View Profile
« Reply #2882 on: January 13, 2021, 12:20:28 PM »

As mentioned above, everything on this ”set” is lossy. Just had a look myself and there’s absolutely nothing above 15 kHz which is a sure sign of (terrible, low quality) compression.
humanoidboogie
Smiley Smile Associate

deer

View Profile
« Reply #2883 on: January 13, 2021, 12:25:10 PM »

The plot thickens.

Granted, anyone can paste a copyright or ownership tag on anything posted online, the more dubious the more likely it can be done, HOWEVER:

"Iconic Artists Group" is under the same umbrella of LLC's and business entities as "Iconic Brothers LLC", which is - as you can read at that link - The LLC listed June 26, 2020 that acquired the BB's song titles from Mike's interests. Again, read the link. "Iconic Artists", "Iconic Brothers"...those company names are attached to multiple interests sharing the same corporate address as Irving Azoff's various interests, as Azoff is a co-founder and owner of "Iconic Artists". For those unaware of who Irving Azoff is, google the name.

So if this dump of live material is listed to "Iconic Artists Group LLC", it connects directly to the group of interests and LLC's under the "Iconic" umbrella of holdings and Irving Azoff's interests, and that signing over of Mike's interests in the songs listed in the public documents at the link above into "Iconic Brothers".

That's all I'll post about it, but for those interested in going down the rabbit hole and some truly inside baseball, the links to start with are there.

That is, unless someone just felt like tagging "Iconic Artists Group LLC" onto a collection of bootlegged live tracks ripped from other sources...but I doubt that's the case.

Happy digging.  Smiley

Thanks for the info. Wasn’t familiar with this Irving Azoff character before but I quick Google search educated me. I wonder how he managed to become so successful. He must’ve worked his Azoff.
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2884 on: January 13, 2021, 05:08:22 PM »

As mentioned above, everything on this ”set” is lossy. Just had a look myself and there’s absolutely nothing above 15 kHz which is a sure sign of (terrible, low quality) compression.

Just wondering what software you are using to test, just to know.
?
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2885 on: January 14, 2021, 01:06:44 AM »

I started a new thread, Live 1970.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 01:14:03 AM by bsten » Logged
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2886 on: January 14, 2021, 01:08:19 AM »

The plot thickens.

Happy digging.  Smiley

How did it end up on the _official_ BB ch.Huh

Have they lost all control?

And how did the FF snippets end up on Allmusic???
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 01:12:13 AM by bsten » Logged
humanoidboogie
Smiley Smile Associate

deer

View Profile
« Reply #2887 on: January 14, 2021, 03:29:04 AM »

?

I use iZotope RX as it has a great looking spectrogram function, but there are lots of different software offering this. Audacity has one, but it’s pretty basic. Then there’s software such as Tau Analyser or Trader’s Little Helper if you want a quicker alternative.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2888 on: January 14, 2021, 09:32:10 AM »

That was the way to keep everything from losing copyright in 2020 so they didn’t have to spoil the box by doing massive digital dumps.
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2889 on: January 14, 2021, 12:51:03 PM »

?

I use iZotope RX as it has a great looking spectrogram function, but there are lots of different software offering this. Audacity has one, but it’s pretty basic. Then there’s software such as Tau Analyser or Trader’s Little Helper if you want a quicker alternative.

Thanks.
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2890 on: January 15, 2021, 11:18:30 AM »

That was the way to keep everything from losing copyright in 2020 so they didn’t have to spoil the box by doing massive digital dumps.

I see, thanks. So that was an official thing. But the live set is another thing. Just don't understand how "they" - whoever it is - can/are able to put stuff like that on an _official_ channel...
sloopjohnb72
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2891 on: January 15, 2021, 12:35:34 PM »

I see, thanks. So that was an official thing. But the live set is another thing. Just don't understand how "they" - whoever it is - can/are able to put stuff like that on an _official_ channel...
Since it has been over 50 years since these recordings, anyone can release them legally. Then since a new legal release comes out digitally, it gets uploaded to Youtube and Spotify. Mark and Alan weren't involved with this, but they did create those new mixes featured in the allmusic snippets.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2892 on: January 17, 2021, 12:53:35 PM »

Back to Sunflower and "Feel Flows". I just stumbled upon this article:

It was poster on another messageboard and that user also posted a lot of other articles from the late 60s. Check them out:

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=73674.1800

Thank you, Rocker.  Never heard of that forum.  Very interesting posts.  Some stuff I had never seen before. -Will

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2893 on: January 18, 2021, 01:38:56 AM »

I just realized somethng, and sorry if this has already come up, I don't follow this thread that closely. But IIRC Howie said that Brian's (or Bruce's?) recollection of how "Marcella" was done impressed him mightily. But "Marcella" was on neither Sunflower nor Surf's Up but on So Tough. So, will this set also include material from that album? Again, I'm not following this thread closely but wait for the big announcement, so it's possible that this was already cleared, but I couldn't find anything related to that question.

Thank you, Rocker.  Never heard of that forum.  Very interesting posts.  Some stuff I had never seen before. -Will

You're welcome! I didn't know that board either. I only came across it by accident when I was doing a picture search.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 01:40:42 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
twentytwenty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2894 on: January 18, 2021, 07:19:15 AM »

I just realized somethng, and sorry if this has already come up, I don't follow this thread that closely. But IIRC Howie said that Brian's (or Bruce's?) recollection of how "Marcella" was done impressed him mightily. But "Marcella" was on neither Sunflower nor Surf's Up but on So Tough. So, will this set also include material from that album? Again, I'm not following this thread closely but wait for the big announcement, so it's possible that this was already cleared, but I couldn't find anything related to that question.

You're welcome! I didn't know that board either. I only came across it by accident when I was doing a picture search.

Wasn't Marcella recorded long long before the rest of the material for So Tough?
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2895 on: January 18, 2021, 10:29:54 AM »

Wasn't Marcella recorded long long before the rest of the material for So Tough?

Technically it started out in the 60's as "All Dressed Up For School", then morphed into "I Just Got My Pay".  The latter song was indeed recorded around the Sunflower sessions...

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2896 on: January 18, 2021, 10:35:38 AM »

Just curious as to when we can expect more information to drop on the actual Feel Flows project.  For those "in the know", is an official announcement of this project imminent?  If I recall a few months ago Howie stated that everything was basically done with the box set.  Is it just red tape legalities we're waiting on? 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
bryand
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2897 on: January 18, 2021, 01:57:36 PM »

Based on Al’s comments on Billy Hinsche’s FB show back in November, it is coming out in May or June. If that is still the case, I would imagine that there would be some sort of press in March.

It’s amazing that the YouTube video of the Allmusic snippets has had over 6K views. Clearly there is a demand for this set!
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2898 on: January 18, 2021, 05:15:53 PM »

I believe a good portion (half?) of So Tough was cut in 1971. This box covers the 2021 copyright extension.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2899 on: January 19, 2021, 01:48:14 AM »

I believe a good portion (half?) of So Tough was cut in 1971. This box covers the 2021 copyright extension.

That could be the case! Personally I wouldn't have a problem with this set covering Sunflower through So Tough and then have a special single release for the Holland album. That album has a certain cult-status even outside of Beach Boys fans (not unlike Wild Honey), so it would make sense to release a special edition imo. Although I'm not sure if there is enough outtake material etc. from that time.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 113 114 115 [116] 117 118 119 120 121 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx