gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:14:59 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: It appears Mike Love has sold at least some of his publishing  (Read 2847 times)
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 10, 2020, 03:45:29 PM »

Oh, the things you can find traipsing around the U. S. Copyright Office website…

I saw that there was a document recently filed (9/1/2020) with the Copyright Office regarding 16 Beach Boys songs from the late ’60s/early ’70s. The document (document number V9973D961) is described as a “Termination and release of security agreement.” I was curious was this meant and paid a $12 fee to the Copyright Office to receive copies of the associated documents. When I received them, I was initially disappointed that it didn’t involve anything earth-shattering—it looked like a bunch of legalese basically amounting to the fact that these 16 songs were part of a “security agreement” at some point in the early ’90s and that the parties involved wanted to confirm with the Copyright Office that the security agreement had expired as of September 16, 1997. As somebody not particularly legally-minded I wasn’t really sure what to make of that or why that was particularly relevant in 2020.

But then I looked over everything again and then I noticed this little nugget in the accompanying “Document Cover Sheet” (a standard questionnaire the Copyright Office provides that asks questions about who is filing the documents):

So, it appears that Mike has transferred his piece of the publishing rights for these 16 titles over to a company called Iconic Brothers, LLC. Digging around on the internet, it looks like this company was formed earlier this year. It is mentioned in the documents I received that a Olivier Chastan is one of the people involved with the company.

What are the 16 titles involved? They are as follows:

Interesting of course that Mike apparently owned publishing rights to some songs he didn’t write—but I think that might be explainable by the fact that these songs were all published by Brother Publishing Company. Perhaps each Beach Boy owned a share of all of the songs they published? (As an aside, I believe Brother Publishing acquired the publishing rights to “Bluebirds” at some point from whoever the previous publisher was.)

Is it possible that more than these just 16 songs were involved in the apparent transaction? I’d think yes—I believe the only reason these 16 songs are specifically commented on as being acquired is because of this “security agreement” that was in place over them in the 1990s. Perhaps there was some legal reason during negotiations that they had confirm that this old security agreement was no longer in force?

What’s also curious is that around the same time as these documents were filed, there was also another set of documents filed with the Copyright Office regarding “And your dreams come true & 314 other titles” (copyright record V9974D533), which I also paid the $12 to see. That batch of documents was filed by Universal Music Publishing though, so the Document Cover Sheet doesn’t mention any information about Iconic Brothers, LLC and there’s no way to know if they have any stake in that batch of songs. (Also questionable because that batch of songs seems to include tunes I don’t think Mike would have ever had any publishing rights to such as “Hully Gully” as one example.)

Anyways, I thought I might as well try to get some use out of the $24 I blew and share my findings here LOL Maybe others will find this interesting, maybe not…

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 04:47:40 PM »

That is very interesting, thanks for sharing. I wonder if this is a small piece of the puzzle behind the delay of FF. It seems that there were a number of factors at play for the hiccups, maybe this was one of them - or if not directly impacting the delay, maybe it is tangentially related to the members finally getting their affairs in order for legally messy matters pertaining to this time period, which maybe the box spurred them to do.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2020, 01:37:49 AM »

John Rieley  Huh

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 05:32:49 AM »

Jack is a nickname for John. Seems Wikipedia says John is correct:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Rieley

This is certainly a fascinating insight into how complicated things can be behind the scenes.

Watch out for snakes!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 06:00:47 AM »

Jack is a nickname for John. Seems Wikipedia says John is correct:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Rieley

This is certainly a fascinating insight into how complicated things can be behind the scenes.

And I learned something! Thank you  Smiley

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 09:09:56 PM »

Years ago I put together a list of clues saying that The Byrds and The Beach Boys were the same band. One of the "clues" was that The Byrds had a song called "John Riley" and that Jack Rieley is credited as "John Rieley" in the liners of one of the Caribou CDs.

(Off the top of my head, some other clues included how both Brian and Roger McGuinn had early '90s albums that begin with a song called "Someone to Love," Van Dyke Parks played on records by both bands, stuff like that.)

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2020, 09:02:43 AM »

Very interesting, good detective work! Relating it to the delay in the box set is one thing, but...

Consider how David Crosby just this past week revealed he was selling his publishing for financial reasons, specifically how streaming cut his airplay income considerably and the Covid restrictions cut his touring income completely. It's hard for some to believe but he and other artists are hurting with this. The bills don't stop, the taxes are due and keep going up, the banks float above all of the suffering and demand payments as if nothing extraordinary is happening across the globe, governors don't give a flying f*** about certain industries and businesses while ignoring others and giving free passes...and the musicians out there are hurting.

Add Crosby to the list: Bob Dylan just sold his publishing in a blockbuster deal, Stevie Nicks sold her publishing (which based on Rumors alone is a massive value), and now word that Mike *seems* to have unloaded some of his, even his stake through previous agreements in publishing for songs he had no involvement in creating.

I'm not going to say anything beyond that as far as what all this stuff means or why Mike may be signing things over. We know why Crosby did it - He's hurting financially due to 2020. Mike tours incessantly: Now that entire source of income is shut off. Who knows.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2020, 09:10:14 AM »

But back to the box set and the documents listed above: The timing of when this LLC was filed - June 26 2020 - fits into the timeline of when news on the box set changed from enthusiasm about its release (and a few teases too) into reports that it had been shelved and no release date set. Followed by a lot of disappointment, anger, speculation, etc.

Is there a connection? I won't say, but just weight the dates and the elements (and songs) involved and draw conclusions accordingly.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2020, 10:58:40 AM »

I have a friend who's a top executive at one of the major music labels, and about a year ago, I made a comment about all the legacy acts (yes, BBs included) that seemingly refuse to ever cease touring.  My friend said, "No, you think they're rich, and they live like they're rich, and they should be rich, but a lot of them would be bankrupt without the touring revenue."  He explained that on average their music catalog income is at best maybe 10% of what it was 20 years ago, and that's not even accounting for inflation.  That's a pretty shocking decline.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx