gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:44:05 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 841513 times)
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: August 14, 2020, 09:12:53 AM »

These new developments strongly support the idea that Mike is holding up FEEL FLOWS to gain leverage over the 60th anniversary plans.

And not only that, he'll veto anything that permits the post office to mail it to you once you order it.  police

The best plan for those who were involved would be to leak the exact contents of FEEL FLOWS, and get it into the hands of the rock press, who will run with it. It will be hard for the Lovester to keep that "well-a well-a well-a balsam" act he's doing once that occurs...
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: August 14, 2020, 10:06:54 AM »

My opinion of Mike Love has sunk to new depths...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1102 on: August 14, 2020, 10:59:14 AM »

Sounds like we might finally be getting Stars and Stripes Vol. 2, though.  LOL Cry

LOL

I aim to please
I’d rather get jackhammered in various orifices by Freddy Krueger while dressed as Minnie Pearl  than a repeat of THAT abomination 🤨

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL Thread Trophy!!!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1103 on: August 14, 2020, 11:01:49 AM »

Here’s the thing I don’t get....

Mike has always been Mr Commercial, yet here he is talking up stuff which next to  nobody will buy and ignoring stuff which fans are desperate to buy. Classic case of 2+2=elevendy

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: August 14, 2020, 01:25:48 PM »

I say the following with no doubt in my mind that Mike Love is the one delaying this release. Again, if it were anyone else holding this up (especially Brian) Mike wouldn't have skipped a beat to cast the blame upon them when asked straight up about archival releases...because at this point I'm sure Mike knows that he is the one being blamed for it's non-release and you'd think he'd be quick to clear that up if it weren't the case. Mike was asked and completely snubbed 3 years of hard work on what is apparently a glorious boxset that is ENTIRELY completed. What a slap in the face to Howie, Alan, and Mark for all the work they've done over the years with these releases.

It's incredible.
It forever changes the way The Beach Boys will be viewed as musical entity at the turn of the decade.
It's THAT good. It's THAT important.

Perhaps this is the problem. Mike doesn't at all want an image change for The Beach Boys. And if the set is that good (which I am damn sure it is) perhaps Mike is worried about the publicity and continued change of perception that people have of The Beach Boys. Though one would have thought that Mike wouldn't have approved of The Smile Sessions, but perhaps in the wake of that he saw the fanfare for the Love and Mercy movie, the continued reverence for Brian Wilson overshadowing his own Kokomo dream. Perhaps he really is sick of the Wilson brothers continuing to steal the show.

That being said, Don Malcom's theory of Mike using this to gain leverage over the 60s Anniversary is interesting. That being said, Howie didn't really state that there were ongoing talks about the release, it sounds like it's completely dead until someone revives it.

I have to think that Mike feels that's the kind of product the fans will want to buy and be enthusiastic about. Remakes, guest artists, and more hits compilations.

If Feel Flows ever comes out, I would love to compare the sales figures for Feel Flows and Mike's UTI album....guarantee the former would blow the latter out of the water.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: August 14, 2020, 01:41:15 PM »

I say the following with no doubt in my mind that Mike Love is the one delaying this release. Again, if it were anyone else holding this up (especially Brian) Mike wouldn't have skipped a beat to cast the blame upon them when asked straight up about archival releases...because at this point I'm sure Mike knows that he is the one being blamed for it's non-release and you'd think he'd be quick to clear that up if it weren't the case. Mike was asked and completely snubbed 3 years of hard work on what is apparently a glorious boxset that is ENTIRELY completed. What a slap in the face to Howie, Alan, and Mark for all the work they've done over the years with these releases.

It's incredible.
It forever changes the way The Beach Boys will be viewed as musical entity at the turn of the decade.
It's THAT good. It's THAT important.

Perhaps this is the problem. Mike doesn't at all want an image change for The Beach Boys. And if the set is that good (which I am damn sure it is) perhaps Mike is worried about the publicity and continued change of perception that people have of The Beach Boys. Though one would have thought that Mike wouldn't have approved of The Smile Sessions, but perhaps in the wake of that he saw the fanfare for the Love and Mercy movie, the continued reverence for Brian Wilson overshadowing his own Kokomo dream. Perhaps he really is sick of the Wilson brothers continuing to steal the show.

That being said, Don Malcom's theory of Mike using this to gain leverage over the 60s Anniversary is interesting. That being said, Howie didn't really state that there were ongoing talks about the release, it sounds like it's completely dead until someone revives it.

I'm literally sick to my stomach because I'm sure you're right.

Either that, and/or deliberate revenge for the other members of this band doing the petition to stand up to the awful trophy hunting show earlier this year.  Or revenge against that segment of the fanbase. Not that all segments of the fanbase don't want this, but it will particularly piss off a particular section, his biggest critics.

This is completely absurd. I still think the man could be bribed. If enough people were willing to purchase this set, or literally if some deep pocketed superfan of the band literally was going to back up the Brinks truck into Mike's bank account, perhaps he could be persuaded otherwise.

I don't see how he isn't the cause of this.  It's something related to ego. Every damn time.

I swear, if I had deep pockets, I would offer him seven figures directly deposited into his bank account, plus a matching COVID  charity donation. Get this material out into the world. This is utterly sickening  to think it's being held up for trivial matters, I can't imagine it's for anything else. And this interview seems to be the beginning of a coverup.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 01:58:54 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1106 on: August 14, 2020, 02:22:54 PM »

Maybe if we all say we’ll pitch in a quarter for every copy sold to the charity of his choice it’d get his attention 😒

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: August 14, 2020, 02:37:12 PM »

If I pitch a quarter anywhere it'll be to a charity that directly opposes the Transcendental Meditation movement. Goodness that religion/practice must utterly suck if after 50 years it still can't keep someone from being so damn petty.

You all realize how many hundreds/thousands of dollars many of us have spent on this band? Between tickets to shows, boxsets, books, movies, albums bought over and over again, memorabilia at concerts, etc. No one should have to bribe their way to hearing this boxset.

Instead, we should create a Go-Fund-Me for Mark, Alan, and Howie. Us fans could pitch in $50-$100 a piece into the fund as a thank you for all their hard work over the years. Seriously, the last thing Mike Love needs is more money and a boost to his ego. If anything, any money we have should be going to the people who worked their ass off on this set and can't even show the world how great it is. Mark, Alan, and Howie have had to walk on freaking egg shells for so many years, trying not to upset the entity that they have put their lives into. And I'm absolutely serious about creating a Go-Fund-Me for these guys.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 03:27:39 PM by rab2591 » Logged

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: August 14, 2020, 03:09:06 PM »

Giving the person responsible for blocking the release of FEEL FLOWS a financial reward for “un-blocking” it is absurd.  
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 03:10:39 PM by mtaber » Logged
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: August 14, 2020, 03:27:34 PM »

Electing Trump as president was absurd.

It still happened.

At the end of the day, if the set is released money will flow to Love.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 03:28:31 PM by thetojo » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: August 14, 2020, 03:56:40 PM »

Giving the person responsible for blocking the release of FEEL FLOWS a financial reward for “un-blocking” it is absurd.  

It happens all the time. Look at the Wonder Years TV show DVD release. That was held up for years because of music licensing issues, because the songwriters and publishers wanted more coin for usage of their songs that had originally been licensed only for airings on TV and not for physical media.

It took a lot of legal red tape - and what one could consider bribery - but eventually it was finally released with almost entirely the original music intact minus a few exceptions that required music replacement..

That said, from a moral and ethical standpoint I totally agree with what you're saying. But it's pretty common. Look at how many movie productions perhaps never would've gotten made if not for an actor holding out for more money. Maybe that's not exactly what's happening here but ultimately perhaps money could make it happen. I don't know.

But something is happening here for either money or leverage. Look at how the US Postal Service is currently being used as a pawn. This whole situation makes me so unbelievably sad beyond words.

As unhappy as I am and as most every fan in the know is right now, I'll still heap praise on Mike for his contributions to this music if this set comes out, regardless of what's holding it up. I think that goes for most fans and the media too. It's sort of like a "dog missing" sign that offers a reward with no questions asked.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 04:21:06 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: August 14, 2020, 04:40:27 PM »

Here's a cool interview with Mark Linett from February, 2020: https://youtu.be/prFdy74TyuA?t=9344 – full interview goes for almost 80 minutes.

At this point, he discusses recently mixing the "San Miguel" backing track: https://youtu.be/prFdy74TyuA?t=9685. The discussion also goes in depth about his work with BW and his experience filming LOVE & MERCY, etc.

I love detailed interviews such as this... I consider it a privilege to listen to someone as talented as Mr. Linett talk shop.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 04:51:26 PM by Jason Manley » Logged

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: August 14, 2020, 04:49:36 PM »

Completely agree. Apparently Mike Love has a net worth of $80 Million. I doubt he'd even care to acquire some paltry sum of money scrounged up by fans that he hates. Any money he gets should be from the sales of the set itself and nothing more. Also, I don't think even Mike would care for the negative optics of him hustling fans during a time of financial turmoil.

But this isn't about money. It's about some absolutely trivial qualm he has with the set itself or a member of the band.

- Mike won't even acknowledge that this set exists even though he 100% knows that this set exists
- If this were a problem solvable by anyone close to The Beach Boys camps then Howie wouldn't have to come on here to fire a rescue flare in a last ditch effort to save the set
- If this were a problem solvable by money anyone at Capitol Records could show Mike projections of the $$$ that this set would pour into his bank account

No, this seems to be a case of something so fucking dumb that not even Mike wants to acknowledge it. He didn't want to touch that "archival" question with a ten-foot pole because he was probably afraid that if he did delve into it further he would've been asked specifically about the Feel Flows set. But instead we got sidetracked into Mike's dark future vision of The Beach Boys which I'm sure includes us hearing Mark McGrath shout "Do It!" repetitively over a remake of "All I Want To Do"

Wall are there any Mike apologists here who want to cheer me up with some unrealistic optimism about how this set still has a chance of coming out? Maybe I need to browse elsewhere for that fantasy...

Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: August 14, 2020, 05:04:32 PM »

I think someone who travels between this board and that other place (which does have some great stuff now and again--that whole HOLLAND thread over there was pretty terrific) to find out how many of those folks are signing the FEEL FLOWS petition. If they are sitting on their hands over there for whatever sets of reasons, they should be urged to throw off all the shackles that are binding them and hit hard at the battle that's confronting us--the celebration of the band's greatest collective period of creativity. They need to advocate for this release, and be a part of those who are testifying to their willingness to put down their hard-earned dough for this release.

Enough noise made about this will eventually result in press coverage of the situation, which will force their hands in terms of explaining who, what, where, when and why on earth they are doing this when they are just a few steps from the final round-up. I again urge whoever is in a position to be the "Deep Throat" of FEEL FLOWS (hmm, that's getting a little too kinky even for THIS board...) to leak the track listing for this puppy to make it clear just how much stuff we're talking about.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: August 14, 2020, 05:14:53 PM »

I think someone who travels between this board and that other place (which does have some great stuff now and again--that whole HOLLAND thread over there was pretty terrific) to find out how many of those folks are signing the FEEL FLOWS petition. If they are sitting on their hands over there for whatever sets of reasons, they should be urged to throw off all the shackles that are binding them and hit hard at the battle that's confronting us--the celebration of the band's greatest collective period of creativity. They need to advocate for this release, and be a part of those who are testifying to their willingness to put down their hard-earned dough for this release.

Enough noise made about this will eventually result in press coverage of the situation, which will force their hands in terms of explaining who, what, where, when and why on earth they are doing this when they are just a few steps from the final round-up. I again urge whoever is in a position to be the "Deep Throat" of FEEL FLOWS (hmm, that's getting a little too kinky even for THIS board...) to leak the track listing for this puppy to make it clear just how much stuff we're talking about.

They're too busy whining about Guitarfool listening to some YouTube videos to actually do something productive about this set. Seriously, very amusing to watch what goes on over there (I mean, I'm sure our circular banter is amusing to them too, but at least we seem somewhat concerned about this set).

The part highlighted in yellow - freaking fantastic idea. I know it's probably not plausible, but man Brian himself should leak the tracklisting to someone at Rolling Stone Magazine, and publicly ask for support to get this thing released. Hell, Brian boycotted his own music earlier this year...I don't think him going to Rolling Stone is too outside the realm of possibility haha.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: August 14, 2020, 06:22:52 PM »

They're too busy whining about Guitarfool listening to some YouTube videos to actually do something productive about this set. Seriously, very amusing to watch what goes on over there (I mean, I'm sure our circular banter is amusing to them too, but at least we seem somewhat concerned about this set).

The part highlighted in yellow - freaking fantastic idea. I know it's probably not plausible, but man Brian himself should leak the tracklisting to someone at Rolling Stone Magazine, and publicly ask for support to get this thing released. Hell, Brian boycotted his own music earlier this year...I don't think him going to Rolling Stone is too outside the realm of possibility haha.

That is an absolutely brilliant idea.

In fact, there should be a big printed followup article to that "Bedroom Tapes of Brian Wilson" that specifically delves into the mystery of why this set has gone missing after it was teased and spoken about by various bandmembers.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1116 on: August 14, 2020, 06:43:18 PM »

The petition currently stands at 611 signatures. Again I'll say, that's a pretty good total for something so specific and started by relatively small fan community efforts (in comparison to political petitions, etc).

At this point it's just foolish to suggest there is not or there would not be a demand for this set. And that number shows only those who signed up after seeing the link through Beach Boys related groups, imagine how many more there are in the record collecting community, the music community in general (musicians and recording folks in particular love this era of the band second to only PS/Smile), and fans of those albums not participating online who don't even know such a set was in the works.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: August 14, 2020, 07:33:15 PM »

Maybe Mike will say yes if he can precede each track with "welllllllllllllllllll." Grin
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1118 on: August 14, 2020, 07:44:41 PM »

Is it known with certainty that all members of BRI have to sign off on an album project? It’s not a situation where 3/4 could? What about the talk about the Love & Mercy soundtrack? Was that different because it was not an album release by The Beach Boys ?

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1119 on: August 14, 2020, 08:51:39 PM »

Is it known with certainty that all members of BRI have to sign off on an album project? It’s not a situation where 3/4 could? What about the talk about the Love & Mercy soundtrack? Was that different because it was not an album release by The Beach Boys ?

Good question. I wondered the same thing. Love & Mercy may have been different because it was more a case of licensing and usage (and subsequent royalties) to an external interest and external companies with a film using existing music, rather than a historical or archival box set from and focused on the band itself. Yet there were green lights given in the process going back a few years to even get access to the tapes which would appear on the box set.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Cork On The Ocean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: August 14, 2020, 09:13:51 PM »

A unanimous vote is madness considering the dysfunction. Should be majority.

In relation to this era, I was thinking of the An American Family Film, which I actually like...well Part One anyway. I'm not familiar with the intricate details, but Stamos produced that and it was kind of guided by Mike's heavy hand, or pen, right?

Smile falls apart, Brian's burning the album covers then immediately launches into Let the Wind Blow...ok sure. Then it's 1969, there's the Manson stuff, showing Brian giving away gold records while endlessly playing Shortin' Bread or whatever, while the guys record Add Some Music - a Mike co-written and lead vocal song. Dennis gets a moment with Forever. Then it jumps to 1973, Murry passes away, post-Watergate/American Graffiti they're popular again, Mike comes up with Endless Summer, and they're back playing the Surfin'/Beach/Cars songs, as apparently it should be. All is right again. Sunflower, Surf's Up, CATPST, Holland - all evaporated. Rieley, that whole era, it's like it never happened.

I get the albums didn't originally sell as well, the general public watching this thing wouldn't be as familiar, time constraints, etc. But maybe it got memory holed because he considers it all a blip in their career - an unfortunate detour. Could the FF veto be that he simply hates this era?    
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: August 14, 2020, 09:23:43 PM »

I've been lurking for a long time, just popped back to say...dear god please get this box set out, it sounds too good.

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1122 on: August 14, 2020, 09:32:05 PM »

Well, while all signs point to Mike as far as we can tell right now - I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for a moment and consider it might be more than one member, and/or someone else or some other series of events. After all, stranger things have happened and this is The Beach Boys (who would have thought it was Carl responsible for the 1995 potential album not happening?).

It’s a stretch, but let’s say there’s some tension behind the scenes on FF, and Mike doesn’t want to talk about it in the interview so kind of cuts away to talk about the 60th. “I don’t know how much is in the vaults” - quite possible he truly doesn’t. Maybe he signed off on FF, and Al Jardine is holding it up (ha), and Mike simply doesn’t care that much about it and moved on (“oh well, that seemed like a cool box set but we couldn’t get it together, what’s up next?”).

I went through the exercise to show that I’m not trying to show an anti-Mike bias. I certainly don’t think he usually deserves the kind of talk he gets around here. I think it is certainly possible he’s not the source of the holdup.

BUT - truly, this time all logic points to him being the issue. The whole tone in the interview sounded like was uncomfortable with that topic, and it sure seems like he wants to move right past it all to the next round of having fun fun fun in the sun. My own opinion on the why - just speculating - is that Mike doesn’t like the 1969-71 “brand” of the BB and wants to maintain control of the image of the group as he sees it now. I think he tolerates the Pet Sounds/Smile period because it was still during the commercially successful era, and he was still semi-at the forefront. Wild Honey he was involved with heavily. ‘68-69 didn’t have the commercial nor critical viability for anything beyond the download dump.

That said, I think there may be more to this than just Mike. The band has historically been way more guarded about the Brother era for some reason. I think I mentioned when I met Al, he was quite put off my my mention of “Lookin At Tomorrow”. It was odd. I wonder if there’s some type of perfectionism, someone not happy with some other aspects, or MORE than one member having concerns. Another thing to consider is: Al, Mike, Brian, and Carl’s family obviously let this thing get to the COMPLETED point only to THEN block it at the last minute. That means whatever people were saying months ago (Al & Bruce, etc) May not be relevant now. Something changed when it went from in-progress to finished. Part of why it’s relevant to know if they need a unanimous decision or not. One thing that doesn’t add up is if Mike was opposed to this era getting deluxe treatment, why/how would the project have gotten that far, only to have the breaks put on after? It’s all pretty peculiar.

Just thinking out loud.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 09:41:30 PM by DonnyL » Logged

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1123 on: August 14, 2020, 09:45:37 PM »

Just to be fair here, regarding the comments about the kind of talk Mike gets here: Have you looked at the internet recently? I'm jokingly saying that, but anytime you come across a Beach Boys related article or feature that allows reader comments you see that kind of talk at a far greater percentage than saying "here" as in this is the only place that calls out Mike Love, and it's from people who I'd bet 99% of them are not active on Beach Boys social media or web communities like this one. Again just to be fair.

Back to the issues of the box set: Whether it has anything to do with this box set or not, I think what "Cork On The Ocean" said above is worth considering even separate from this specific box set issue. That "American Family" TV movie is and was Mike Love's version of the band's history, there's no other way to describe it. When you watch it and notice that entire eras of the band's history and music are missing, in this case the same era covered by the box set, you have to consider why that is, and the post above does a good job of identifying it so anyone who watches it can judge for themselves. But when you have entire eras like the PS/Smile era painted with such a broad and ridiculous brush to where it shows Mike "saving" Brian from a gaggle of druggies and hangers-on, and when you have people who we *know* were not of that ilk yet were portrayed that way in the film, something definitely stinks, something isn't right. And the reasons for that are when you line up some of Mike's accounts of that era from lawsuits, books, interviews and whatnot and see that the scenes played out in that movie were what Mike thinks they were or wants people watching to think they were, the depictions are simply not factual for how it really was. It's as simple as that.

So when the entire era "missing" from Mike's televised version of events lines up with the era covered in this box set currently in limbo, whether or not one has anything to do with the other, it is definitely interesting to consider.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 09:48:10 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: August 14, 2020, 10:18:08 PM »

The idea that the Feel Flows box would change the public perception of who the Beach Boys are and what they represent has me thinking, how would Mike and Bruce have to respond to this? Would it mean a return to guru robes for Mike (and showing his bald head on stage)? Would all the surfing, cars, girls songs be replaced with the likes of Be Still, Meant For You, Country Air, Wake the World, All I Wanna Do, This Whole World, Long Promised Road, All This is That, and the full California Saga? Would Bruce actually sit at a grand piano, in long pants, playing audible parts?
No more beach balls in the crowds; pass the incense and peppermints instead.
No more state fair and Seaworld gigs; instead, they would play colleges and coffee houses.
Instead of selling t-shirts and baseball caps, the souvenir stand would feature organic vege-tables, herbal supplements, and copies of Whole Earth News.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx