gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:06:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Any footage/photos of Carl's final gigs?  (Read 12693 times)
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« on: June 12, 2019, 02:41:20 AM »

Apologies for the morbid curiosity, but this seems to be an era I can't find much evidence of. Wikipedia says that Carl was playing his final gigs seated and using an oxygen tank(?) however I can't see any evidence of him even being ill in any way. Is there photo/video of this?

Hopefully I'm not asking anything untoward.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 03:14:15 AM by UEF » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 11:17:33 AM »

Try this thread for a start:  http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,4500.0.html

I haven't looked through it, maybe some pictures posted there are gone now.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 12:13:05 PM »

Apologies for the morbid curiosity, but this seems to be an era I can't find much evidence of. Wikipedia says that Carl was playing his final gigs seated and using an oxygen tank(?) however I can't see any evidence of him even being ill in any way. Is there photo/video of this?

There isn’t a ton of currently circulating audio or video from the 1997 tour while Carl was still there. There are a few audio audience recordings. A few clips from those recordings are floating around YouTube. Here’s “God Only Knows”:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMMiyaPeUA4&list=RDvMMiyaPeUA4&start_radio=1

The only video I’ve seen is a quick TV news report with a bit of “b-roll” type footage, and I can’t find that on YouTube, so I’m not sure if it’s still up.  

There are a small group of photos of Carl on this tour as well. At least one, not published online, is the Rusten/Stebbins “Beach Boys In Concert” book.

There are a few others:

I don’t believe any photos or video of Carl actually sitting down or using oxygen have surfaced. (Though in a couple of those pics above you can see the chair behind Carl).

I’ve long felt this sense that there is more audio/video of the 1997 tour out there, and people are holding on to it either because it’s rare/sought-after, and/or because they feel Carl’s in rough shape. I recall one specific "rumor" years ago that someone had a full 1997 show on video (audience-shot), but that has seemingly never surfaced.

I have to say, knowing what people go through with the treatments that Carl was undergoing, he looks pretty okay in most of the pics I’ve seen, and he has sounded good in every audio clip I’ve heard.

There was one pic of Carl post-touring, either late 1997 or early 1998, published one time in ESQ. Someone sent it to me years ago but I can't find it anymore. It's not online anywhere, and a big hubbub was made years ago when someone offered to scan it, based on how they only got permission to publish the pic for that one-time use in that issue.

I'm not big on tightly clamping down on minimal use of old photos that have been published, nor of hoarding old unpublished photos. We're all going to end up dead and nobody will ever see the stuff, so what's the point? I'm speaking very broadly of course.

In any event, I'm trying to remember if anything beyond those '97 shows above (and the one additional shot in the aforementioned book) are out there from that tour. The first four shots above are from a June show in Texas, and this link has more shots from that show: http://rockinhouston.com/performers/beach-boys/83?groupBy=Years&page=2

There's some stuff from later in 1997 on audio/video after Carl was off the tour and David Marks joined, showing the Mike-Al-Bruce-Dave lineup.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 12:21:05 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Bhw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 04:49:13 AM »

Here is Carl, seated for the whole show, from Syracuse...

carl" border="0
<a target='_blank' href='https://imgbb.com/'>upload photo website[/url]
Bhw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 05:35:29 AM »

Here's Carl from Syracuse. He was seated the entire show

carl" border="0
<a target='_blank' href='https://imgbb.com/'>upload photo website[/url]
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 06:33:05 AM »

I've never seen that one before!  Shocked Thanks for posting it. There is a picture in the "In Concert" book, but it's quite sad to see. I had heard it was hard to look at, but when I saw it I was actually really shocked. Carl didn't look like Carl at all.  Sad  Many years ago, somebody on this board mentioned seeing a video of the group from this period, and Carl was sitting down. I'm not sure I'd want to see it. It is a little to much of a coincidence that we have audience videos of the group from every year in the 1990's, except for 1997 with Carl.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 08:59:30 AM »

Here's Carl from Syracuse. He was seated the entire show

carl" border="0

If that's confirmed as Syracuse, then that would be August 21, 1997, which would be only eight days before his final show on August 29th in Atlantic City.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2019, 09:22:23 AM »

In Mike's book he says that at the last show he played, he was wheeled out onstage in a wheelchair. I'm not sure if I believe that.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2019, 09:38:32 AM »

In Mike's book he says that at the last show he played, he was wheeled out onstage in a wheelchair. I'm not sure if I believe that.

I don't know about those specifics, but evidence would indicate Mike was taking issue/concern with Carl's condition and/or appearance out on tour by that time. Check this post out:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,18436.msg481404.html#msg481404

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2019, 09:45:29 AM »

I've never seen that one before!  Shocked Thanks for posting it. There is a picture in the "In Concert" book, but it's quite sad to see. I had heard it was hard to look at, but when I saw it I was actually really shocked. Carl didn't look like Carl at all.  Sad  Many years ago, somebody on this board mentioned seeing a video of the group from this period, and Carl was sitting down. I'm not sure I'd want to see it. It is a little to much of a coincidence that we have audience videos of the group from every year in the 1990's, except for 1997 with Carl.

As has been discussed in the past, and as some folks who are familiar with issues like what Carl went through, it's a bit ironic that, while I think Carl generally doesn't look too bad in the extant photos from that tour all things considered, the main area where he does look different than normal is the water retention/bloating (or pick whatever similar word) that often comes from taking various steroid-related medications while undergoing cancer treatments. So it's not the disease nor even the primary chemo/radiation treatments that led to the main issue that led to him looking different in 1997. He was apparently also wearing a wig at some point, which is of course due to hair loss from treatments.

But really, I've known people undergoing chemo and radiation, and I have to say that considering everything Carl was going through, he generally looks pretty okay in the photos and footage I've seen, keeping in mind his condition, the treatments, the off-shoot medical issues that come from all of that, and that he was still traveling around and doing full shows, playing guitar and singing. Even if he was sitting for some/most/all of some of the shows, and even if he was traveling by bus instead of airplane on that tour, that's still rigorous activity for someone battling all of that.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2019, 12:10:47 PM »

There isn’t a ton of currently circulating audio or video from the 1997 tour while Carl was still there. There are a few audio audience recordings. A few clips from those recordings are floating around YouTube. Here’s “God Only Knows”:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMMiyaPeUA4&list=RDvMMiyaPeUA4&start_radio=1

The only video I’ve seen is a quick TV news report with a bit of “b-roll” type footage, and I can’t find that on YouTube, so I’m not sure if it’s still up.  

There are a small group of photos of Carl on this tour as well. At least one, not published online, is the Rusten/Stebbins “Beach Boys In Concert” book.

There are a few others:

I don’t believe any photos or video of Carl actually sitting down or using oxygen have surfaced. (Though in a couple of those pics above you can see the chair behind Carl).

I’ve long felt this sense that there is more audio/video of the 1997 tour out there, and people are holding on to it either because it’s rare/sought-after, and/or because they feel Carl’s in rough shape. I recall one specific "rumor" years ago that someone had a full 1997 show on video (audience-shot), but that has seemingly never surfaced.

I have to say, knowing what people go through with the treatments that Carl was undergoing, he looks pretty okay in most of the pics I’ve seen, and he has sounded good in every audio clip I’ve heard.

There was one pic of Carl post-touring, either late 1997 or early 1998, published one time in ESQ. Someone sent it to me years ago but I can't find it anymore. It's not online anywhere, and a big hubbub was made years ago when someone offered to scan it, based on how they only got permission to publish the pic for that one-time use in that issue.

I'm not big on tightly clamping down on minimal use of old photos that have been published, nor of hoarding old unpublished photos. We're all going to end up dead and nobody will ever see the stuff, so what's the point? I'm speaking very broadly of course.

In any event, I'm trying to remember if anything beyond those '97 shows above (and the one additional shot in the aforementioned book) are out there from that tour. The first four shots above are from a June show in Texas, and this link has more shots from that show: http://rockinhouston.com/performers/beach-boys/83?groupBy=Years&page=2

There's some stuff from later in 1997 on audio/video after Carl was off the tour and David Marks joined, showing the Mike-Al-Bruce-Dave lineup.

Thank you for these! I had only seen the bottom two before.
The one concert clip I've heard from this tour, Carl is singing God Only Knows, and he sounds as beautiful as ever.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2019, 01:23:11 PM »

In my book with Jon-the beach boys in concert there is a very late photo of Carl in the brief chapter on 1997
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2019, 01:27:31 PM »

In my book with Jon-the beach boys in concert there is a very late photo of Carl in the brief chapter on 1997

Can you post it please?
DennysDrums83
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2019, 05:18:03 PM »

I think that photo was from August 19, 1997 at the Rosemont Horizon.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2019, 12:32:23 AM »

There is a picture from 1997 that I've seen of Carl and Jerry Schilling, with Carl wearing a baseball hat. Does anybody know when it was taken? Was it from after he had to quit touring? Do any pictures exist of him from that period?

DennysDrums83
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2019, 03:35:18 PM »

Are you referring to the photo of Carl and Jerry Schilling with Carl wearing a Cubs hat?
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2019, 06:58:10 PM »

Are you referring to the photo of Carl and Jerry Schilling with Carl wearing a Cubs hat?
i had seen that photo, but did not know it was from that late in Carl's life.
DennysDrums83
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2019, 05:09:01 AM »

i had seen that photo, but did not know it was from that late in Carl's life.

It was in ESQ and dated 1997.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2019, 10:32:03 AM »

Yes.

UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2019, 06:10:16 AM »

This is the 1997 book photo mentioned a few times in the thread

From 'The Beach Boys in Concert'
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 06:14:08 AM by UEF » Logged
DennysDrums83
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2019, 12:23:31 PM »

I notice that Carl is standing so it's likely he is singing "God Only Knows".  The first time I ever saw this picture, I didn't believe it was Carl.  I believe his change in appearance was due to the steroids he was taking at the time.  I know Carl found out he was sick in late 1996 or early 1997.  Does anyone know when it was announced publicly?

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2019, 12:40:52 PM »

I notice that Carl is standing so it's likely he is singing "God Only Knows".  The first time I ever saw this picture, I didn't believe it was Carl.  I believe his change in appearance was due to the steroids he was taking at the time.  I know Carl found out he was sick in late 1996 or early 1997.  Does anyone know when it was announced publicly?

IIRC, it was announced March 1997.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2019, 01:00:21 PM »

The first time I saw that picture in the In Concert book it felt like I got kicked in the stomach. I had read that the picture was sad, but it actually took my breath away.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2019, 01:29:39 PM »

Yeah, that particular pic is one where Carl certainly looks in rougher shape. Comparatively, he looks surprisingly good in most of those other pics.

But as many have pointed out, his altered appearance almost surely has to do with bloating/water retention due to steroids given to people when undergoing cancer treatments. So, while the whole situation was obviously awful regardless, his rough shape in photos isn't actually due particularly directly to the cancer.

And many folks, even close to the end, can sometimes look surprisingly pretty good. I've heard the stories of Carl at Audree's funeral (which would have been December 1997 I believe) looking stunningly in pretty good shape and many people were stunned at his quick demise because he had looked so good less than two months earlier.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2019, 01:37:14 PM »

Circling back to that late 1997 photo of Carl wearing the baseball cap with Jerry Schilling, as I mentioned in an older post, someone sent it to me years ago but I can't find it anymore. What I remember is that on whatever forum was the active forum all those years ago, a few folks mentioned how shocking it was and how bad Carl looked, etc. When I finally saw the photo, I thought he looked okay. He's smiling (which is more than I can say for most of the extant 1997 pics).

Hope someone can dig that photo up and post it.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx